Matt Jones

Chitownhustla

Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with bringing him in on a one year "prove it" deal.

Heck, I love the idea that we brought in the CB & LB from St. Louis (both names I've forgotten). We want to add veteran depth, and why shouldn't we? It's the smart thing to do.

So why aren't we doing the same thing with the WR position?

Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with bringing him in on a one year "prove it" deal.

Heck, I love the idea that we brought in the CB & LB from St. Louis (both names I've forgotten). We want to add veteran depth, and why shouldn't we? It's the smart thing to do.

Gotta go with Terra Tor on this one. Matt Jones sucks. His knock is that he has a hard time getting off the LOS, is NOT sudden and plays smaller and slower than he is. Lastly, being an unproven player, he has shown he is not hungry for the game by his actions off the field. Agree we should bring in veteren competition. No to matt Jones.

Did we draft 3 CBs this year, not to mention another in the 3rd last year? How about LB?

Point here is, I think our staff believes we have added a solid collection of talented WRs. What they need now is time and reps. In the staff's mind, adding a veteran WR only takes away from that playing time. Now, that doesn't mean we would balk at adding a stud like Boldin, but I don't think the staff feels adding a spare veteran is worth it at this point.

Honestly, I tend to agree. I really like what we have added at WR. I think Bennett, Iglesias and Knox. Kinder and Rideau offer nice sleeper candidates. That's not to mention Hester.

I pointed this out the other day, but I kind of wonder as it is how we are going to spread the ball around. We have a pair of solid TEs, w/ one who could elevate to a higher level this year. We have a RB who could be in the upper tier league of pass catching RBs. We have Hester on one side, and then there is a solid group of talented youth. If we add a veteran to the mix, I think it would come at the expense of the development of another.

I'm just not all that certain. No one feared the jag's receiving threats in all honesty. I'm not sure what he bring to the table at this point. One possibility is a desire to prove everyone wrong.

I'm not opposed to bringing him in for a look, but nor am I sold on it's something we MUST do...

He is worth checking out and if they deem him capable he can be our pos WR, let him and Rideau fight for that spot.

Guest TerraTor
I'm just not all that certain. No one feared the jag's receiving threats in all honesty. I'm not sure what he bring to the table at this point. One possibility is a desire to prove everyone wrong.

I'm not opposed to bringing him in for a look, but nor am I sold on it's something we MUST do...

as pathetic as it may be, i wouldnt mind having Brandon Lloyd back. He was the only reliable (haha, when on the field) we had

as pathetic as it may be, i wouldnt mind having Brandon Lloyd back. He was the only reliable (haha, when on the field) we had

Lloyd's too inconsistent, but he did briefly look like the only real wide receiver on the field last year. Just for fun, I worked out what his stat line would have been had he been able to produce for a whole season like he did in games 1-4 of 2008 (before he got injured.) If he had kept that pace up for 16 games, he'd have had 60 catches for 996 yards (16.6 YPC) and 4 touchdowns. That's decent production, and it would have made him the Bears' leading receiver by a long shot. He's definitely got some ability, it's a shame that he's shown he can't sustain it for a whole season.

Guys all I can say is that Matt Jones was a workout wonder at the Combine but he played QB all his college career. With all the other guys who have had to make the transition lately Brad Smith and Michael Robinson are the guys who come to mind, Jones has been the worst.I also take into consideration that the Jaguars have not developed a WR of significance since Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell were there when Tom Coughlin was the coach.How has Mercedes Lewis and Reggie Williams done there. Didn't they sign Jerry Porter also? It will be interesting to see what Torry Holt does down there. I still think that Matt Jones did what he had to do to make an NFL roster but with the advent of the Wildcat formation Matt Jones if he is clean could be a good addition to a team.

Yeah, when he's good he's a delight. But, he can't stay on the field. If we're taking guys back that are injury prone, then Mike Brown needs to be first on that list!

Lloyd's too inconsistent, but he did briefly look like the only real wide receiver on the field last year. Just for fun, I worked out what his stat line would have been had he been able to produce for a whole season like he did in games 1-4 of 2008 (before he got injured.) If he had kept that pace up for 16 games, he'd have had 60 catches for 996 yards (16.6 YPC) and 4 touchdowns. That's decent production, and it would have made him the Bears' leading receiver by a long shot. He's definitely got some ability, it's a shame that he's shown he can't sustain it for a whole season.

Yeah, when he's good he's a delight. But, he can't stay on the field. If we're taking guys back that are injury prone, then Mike Brown needs to be first on that list!

Mad L Mike Brown needs to use his degree or become a DB coach. Matt Jones just finished his first NFL contract. There is a big age difference in the two. Just look at how Koren Robinson keeps getting a chance. He is the Steve Howe of football. If we can here how Vick deserves a 2nd chance then Jones' misshaps are minimal compared to Vick.

Mad L Mike Brown needs to use his degree or become a DB coach. Matt Jones just finished his first NFL contract. There is a big age difference in the two. Just look at how Koren Robinson keeps getting a chance. He is the Steve Howe of football. If we can here how Vick deserves a 2nd chance then Jones' misshaps are minimal compared to Vick.

I mis read your post Mad L but I stand on what I said about Mike Brown.

No worries! I'd love Mike Brown as a DB coach!

...and I know there appears to be some upside w/ Jones. My point was just related to Lloyd. If you're gonna bring back an injury prone guy, bring back one that I think could even have a bigger impact! And a true "Bear"! ;)

I mis read your post Mad L but I stand on what I said about Mike Brown.

No worries! I'd love Mike Brown as a DB coach!

...and I know there appears to be some upside w/ Jones. My point was just related to Lloyd. If you're gonna bring back an injury prone guy, bring back one that I think could even have a bigger impact! And a true "Bear"! ;)

I'd rather bring back Mark Bradley than Lloyd. He and Booker IMO were stealing from the Bears.

I still stand on my thoughts that if we are going to go after a vet with issues lets go get Marvin Harrison. There won't be much competition for his services. I think that Matt Jones might have some upside but if no one has made him an offer I'm guessing he is under investigation by NFL security.

I can't say I'd disagree...

I'd rather bring back Mark Bradley than Lloyd. He and Booker IMO were stealing from the Bears.

I still stand on my thoughts that if we are going to go after a vet with issues lets go get Marvin Harrison. There won't be much competition for his services. I think that Matt Jones might have some upside but if no one has made him an offer I'm guessing he is under investigation by NFL security.

Did we draft 3 CBs this year, not to mention another in the 3rd last year? How about LB?

Point here is, I think our staff believes we have added a solid collection of talented WRs. What they need now is time and reps. In the staff's mind, adding a veteran WR only takes away from that playing time. Now, that doesn't mean we would balk at adding a stud like Boldin, but I don't think the staff feels adding a spare veteran is worth it at this point.

Honestly, I tend to agree. I really like what we have added at WR. I think Bennett, Iglesias and Knox. Kinder and Rideau offer nice sleeper candidates. That's not to mention Hester.

I pointed this out the other day, but I kind of wonder as it is how we are going to spread the ball around. We have a pair of solid TEs, w/ one who could elevate to a higher level this year. We have a RB who could be in the upper tier league of pass catching RBs. We have Hester on one side, and then there is a solid group of talented youth. If we add a veteran to the mix, I think it would come at the expense of the development of another.

This is where the coaching staff screwed up totally last year. Bennett IMO should have been asked to learn one position, at least to start the year, so he could get on the field. Instead we went with Lloyd and Booker. Lloyd at first seemed like the right choice but Booker never did anything to impress me and in fact I wanted to cut him. Even if we started out with the "learn all positions approach" it should have been quickly pared down to get him on the field once they saw how bad the others were. Now we have a second year WR who didn't catch a single pass last year. Ridiculous consider how bad our WR corps was last year.

This is where the coaching staff screwed up totally last year. Bennett IMO should have been asked to learn one position, at least to start the year, so he could get on the field. Instead we went with Lloyd and Booker. Lloyd at first seemed like the right choice but Booker never did anything to impress me and in fact I wanted to cut him. Even if we started out with the "learn all positions approach" it should have been quickly pared down to get him on the field once they saw how bad the others were. Now we have a second year WR who didn't catch a single pass last year. Ridiculous consider how bad our WR corps was last year.

Man you took the words out of my mouth. This continues to be a problem I have with Ron Turner. I can go all the way back to when he had Curtis Conway and saw how slow he was to develop. He always seems to prefer veterans over rookies