Looking good on the LB Front

DABEARSDABOMB

According to Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe, the Patriots have come to terms with linebacker Paris Lenon. That means Pisa Tinoisamoa, a player New England also entertained as an option, is likely out of the mix.

That's good news for the Bears as they attempt to bring Tinoisamoa to Chicago. The former St. Louis Ram could start at strong-side linebacker, and he's already familiar with Lovie Smith's scheme. Smith was the defensive coordinator in St. Louis in 2003, the same year Tinoisamoa was drafted by the Rams.

The Buffalo Bills and possibly the Philadelphia Eagles still remain in the running for Tinoisamoa. But it makes perfect sense for him to sign with the Bears, and he was ecstatic about the team's vibe following his visit to Halas Hall last week.

Thats great news. Hopefully JA is able to work out a fair contract for him. He would immediately upgrade the LB corps even more. I love Hillenmeyer but he was just to small and when he was isolated he got ran over quite a bit. I still think Hillenmeyer can play for us but I wonder who will be on the outside looking in if we do indeed sign Pisa.

Thats great news. Hopefully JA is able to work out a fair contract for him. He would immediately upgrade the LB corps even more. I love Hillenmeyer but he was just to small and when he was isolated he got ran over quite a bit. I still think Hillenmeyer can play for us but I wonder who will be on the outside looking in if we do indeed sign Pisa.

I like this. Unfortunately, I see Hilly as the odd man out if this occurs.

Peace :dabears

I like this. Unfortunately, I see Hilly as the odd man out if this occurs.

Peace :dabears

I'm wondering this myself. The Bears are unlikely to carry more than 7 linebackers, and they may only carry 6. Who do you guys see staying on the depth chart if we sign Pisa? Here's my take:

Sam: Pisa Tinoisamoa, Nick Roach

Mike: Brian Urlacher, Mike Rivera

Will: Lance Briggs, Jamar Williams, Marcus Freeman

The only possible place I see for Hillenmeyer is at backup MLB, pushing Mike Rivera (who's currently the only MLB on the roster after Urlacher.) Both of them are big enough to man the middle, but Hillenmeyer is VERY slow compared to Rivera. Rivera's a full two-tenths faster in the 40 than Hillenmeyer; considering how often a Tampa-2 MLB drops into coverage, Hunter's lack of range could hurt more than Rivera's lack of experience. Obviously neither has Urlacher's range, but Rivera would be the less severe dropoff in that regard.

Really not sure how great of a factor Rivera is. He was an undrafted rookie FA. Few of them make the team. Not saying it is out of the question, but I am simply not sure we should factor him "too" much, especially at this point, w/o having seen much of anything of him.

I know many are going to be down on Hilly, and that is fine. I want Pisa too. The one thing I think needs to be thought about, which you did, is how our backup MLB will be. Even when Hilly was starting at SLB, he was also our immediate backup for Urlacher. I question whether we have a guy on the roster right now who would to start at MLB if Urlacher went down over Hilly. Hunter would not bring Urlacher's range (understatement alert) but may well be our best bet.

Freeman and Williams I think would be fairly safe. I actually think Hunter may be next due to his MLB backup ability, which I am not sure others have shown.

I believe many are putting Roach in the next spot as he took the job from Hunter last year, but from what I read, the staff did not feel he did much after getting the start. Further, I think it says a lot that we are looking to upgrade. I think Roach very much could be on the bubble, especially when you consider Hunter would be capable of backing up two positions.

LaRoque is another to watch, as I think he is considered one of our better special teams players.

Malast, Riley and Rivera were undrafted FAs, and more likely than not playing for a shot at the practice squad.

I think it would come down to Huter, Roach or LaRoque, and I just think Hunter may have an edge due to his ability to backup at two positions rather than one.

I'm wondering this myself. The Bears are unlikely to carry more than 7 linebackers, and they may only carry 6. Who do you guys see staying on the depth chart if we sign Pisa? Here's my take:

Sam: Pisa Tinoisamoa, Nick Roach

Mike: Brian Urlacher, Mike Rivera

Will: Lance Briggs, Jamar Williams, Marcus Freeman

The only possible place I see for Hillenmeyer is at backup MLB, pushing Mike Rivera (who's currently the only MLB on the roster after Urlacher.) Both of them are big enough to man the middle, but Hillenmeyer is VERY slow compared to Rivera. Rivera's a full two-tenths faster in the 40 than Hillenmeyer; considering how often a Tampa-2 MLB drops into coverage, Hunter's lack of range could hurt more than Rivera's lack of experience. Obviously neither has Urlacher's range, but Rivera would be the less severe dropoff in that regard.

Really not sure how great of a factor Rivera is. He was an undrafted rookie FA. Few of them make the team. Not saying it is out of the question, but I am simply not sure we should factor him "too" much, especially at this point, w/o having seen much of anything of him.

I know many are going to be down on Hilly, and that is fine. I want Pisa too. The one thing I think needs to be thought about, which you did, is how our backup MLB will be. Even when Hilly was starting at SLB, he was also our immediate backup for Urlacher. I question whether we have a guy on the roster right now who would to start at MLB if Urlacher went down over Hilly. Hunter would not bring Urlacher's range (understatement alert) but may well be our best bet.

Freeman and Williams I think would be fairly safe. I actually think Hunter may be next due to his MLB backup ability, which I am not sure others have shown.

I believe many are putting Roach in the next spot as he took the job from Hunter last year, but from what I read, the staff did not feel he did much after getting the start. Further, I think it says a lot that we are looking to upgrade. I think Roach very much could be on the bubble, especially when you consider Hunter would be capable of backing up two positions.

LaRoque is another to watch, as I think he is considered one of our better special teams players.

Malast, Riley and Rivera were undrafted FAs, and more likely than not playing for a shot at the practice squad.

I think it would come down to Huter, Roach or LaRoque, and I just think Hunter may have an edge due to his ability to backup at two positions rather than one.

Yeah, I guess I should amend my last post: I had forgotten that we had Hillenmeyer backing up Urlacher previously. That probably gives him the edge over Rivera if we keep seven LBs. I'd be OK with Urlacher-Hillenmeyer at MLB and Tinoisamoa-Roach at SLB.

I hope we don't keep just six guys, but if we do, it'll be interesting to watch. Roach looked better as a starter, plays better on special teams, and is less of an injury risk; Hillenmeyer, on the other hand, has more experience and could step in for Urlacher if needed. Ideally, I guess, I hope that we keep seven so we don't have to make that decision.

9 DLinemen and 10 DB's = only 6 LB's.

If we sign Pisa, that's 4 guys who will make the team for sure: Lach, Briggs, Pisa, Jamar Williams.

That leaves the final 2 spots to Freeman, Hunter, LaRocque, Roach, and the UDFA guys.

Hunter, while no longer the player he once was, is still a solid special teams player and has experience before at MIKE when Lach was injured. Plus, he's a vet and always giving 110%, I think he'll make the team unless he completely sucks it up during camp.

We could very well see Freeman get the IRedshirt. It wouldn't be the first time we did that. However, he seems like he could be a solid option at all 3 LB spots and a solid special teams option. The IRedshirt makes sense if the team would feel more comfortable this year with someone like Roach or LaRocque on the team.

I agree with NFO that Roach probably has the least chance or on the bubble for making the team. He wasn't very impressive last year, and I don't think he ever contributed much on ST. I'd say our LB's will be (if we sign Pisa)...

WILL - Briggs | J. Willams | Freeman/LaRocque

MIKE - Urlacher | Hillenmeyer | Freeman/LaRocque

SAM - Pisa | Hillenmeyer | Freeman/LaRocque

Right now, I'd put Freeman at 50/50 for making the team.

I think Hilly will be the odd man out, does he play on special teams? Williams will back up Urlacker and Freeman will back up Briggs.

Can Williams backup Urlacher? I ask because, w/ Williams on the roster, Hunter continued to be referred to as Urlacher's primary backup, even though he was starting at SLB at the time. The staff had to think Hunter a significantly better option at MLB if they were willing to scramble at two positions in the event Urlacher went down.

I think Hilly will be the odd man out, does he play on special teams? Williams will back up Urlacker and Freeman will back up Briggs.

I can see it both ways. W/ the uncertaintity at SLB and Urlacher's recent play, I can see us keeping an extra LB, especially if that last LB is considered a big player on special teams.

On the other hand, I can easily see the staff believing (especially if we sign Pisa) that we have 3 solid veteran LBs, and the need for extended depth is less. Further, w/ so many injuries/ question marks in the secondary, we may need extra depth there. Further still, we all know how our staff loves the DL, thus they may want to keep the extra man there.

In the end, I think we keep 6 LBs. It could be pretty interesting to see who the final LB would be. Assuming we add Pisa, he, Urlacher, Briggs, Williams and Freeman are near locks in my eyes, leaving a crowded field fighting for the final spot. With the priority for that last spot be which player is more versatile and provide the best insurance (Hunter) or which player offers the best potential on special teams?

Yeah, I guess I should amend my last post: I had forgotten that we had Hillenmeyer backing up Urlacher previously. That probably gives him the edge over Rivera if we keep seven LBs. I'd be OK with Urlacher-Hillenmeyer at MLB and Tinoisamoa-Roach at SLB.

I hope we don't keep just six guys, but if we do, it'll be interesting to watch. Roach looked better as a starter, plays better on special teams, and is less of an injury risk; Hillenmeyer, on the other hand, has more experience and could step in for Urlacher if needed. Ideally, I guess, I hope that we keep seven so we don't have to make that decision.

I don't know about that.

Last year, Hunter lost the job midseason to Roach, due in large part to Hunter's inability to play coverage, but...

(a) I personally feel how Babich called the game affected Hunter. Hunter was never a great coverage guy, hence why he sits on 3rd downs, but was always solid otherwise. Babich, IMHO, put Hunter in situations we previously avoided. Even taking out coaching though,

(B) The staff, from what I have read, was not impressed w/ Roach in the time he got. Hunter didn't look good, so Roach got the shot, but Roach simply did little w/ the opportunity.

© I would further point out the proof is in the pudding. If the staff liked what they saw from Roach, would they be looking to upgrade the position now? Sure, that can be used for Hunter too, but I am not saying the staff loves Hunter at this point. I think the staff questions whether either are solid options as starters heading into the season.

I just don't think the staff is as high on Roach. Further, while they may not be very high on Hunter either, I think Hunter may be viewed as the more versatile backup option, as he can backup both MLB and SLB, where as Roach may not be viewed as versatile.

You guys are knocking Roach but it seems like the Bears like him more than Hilly.

From Brad Briggs of the Sun-Times:

Looks like Tinoisamoa down to 2 suitors -- Bears, Bills

By Brad Biggs on May 27, 2009 3:33 PM

And then there were two.

Unless a new suitor comes into play for Pisa Tinoisamoa, it looks like the veteran linebacker will choose between the Bears and Buffalo Bills.

Tinoisamoa visited New England on Tuesday but the Patriots' interest appeared to be cursory as they went ahead and signed Paris Lenon to fill a void at inside linebacker.

According to two NFL sources, no visit is in the works for Tinoisamoa in Philadelphia, which looked to be a curious match to begin with at least from our point of view. Word out of St. Louis was that new coach Steve Spagnuolo cut him loose because he wasn't a fit for the system. Just so happens the Rams will be running the defense Spagnuolo learned in Philly and then took to the New York Giants.

That leaves the Bills and Bears to wrangle over a player both teams want to plug in at strong-side linebacker. The Bears would seem to have an edge simply because Tinoisamoa played for Lovie Smith and Bob Babich as a rookie for the Rams in 2003. Tinoisamoa seemed at ease visiting with coaches and players alike during the OTA at Halas Hall last Wednesday. If the Bears can sign him in the next few days, he will be available to participate in 12 of the 14 OTA's, which would give him a good crash course on the defense in advance of training camp.

Stay tuned.

It is amazing how we as fans have grown so attached to an undrafted FA that the Bears signed off of another teams practice squad. Nfo you have surprised me on this also mentioning how the games were called didn't put Hilly in a position to succeed. This is a guy who went undrafted we have gotten more than our moneys worth from him. I put Hillenmeyer in the Adrian Petersen category. I think Lovie likes both of them but its getting harder to keep both of these guys on the roster if they are making the veteran minimum and have no significant playing time besides special teams.

IF Pisa signs with us we will finally have a challenge to make the roster at LB on this team, with some guys who've contributed in the past hitting the street. It's been a long time since we've said that. I believe we will only keep 6 LBs. IIRC Freeman fell to us in the draft so even though he's a 5th Rd pick he might get interest if we try to stick him on the practice squad. I think if he shows the ability the team talked about having on draft day then we'll have to keep him on the final roster.

Williams has proven to be a good special teams player so he has the nod in the backup role. He has also been used at both MLB and WLB but focused more on WLB. He has better mobility than Hunter and thus I think he'd that gives him one advantage. OTOH Hunter has the game knowledge to be in the right spot. I think Freeman is coached up at WLB to backup Briggs thus freeing up Williams to work mostly at MLB in camp. That should help his play inside improve and might be enough to give him the edge over Hunter for that backup role.

Hunter would have to compete with Pisa and Roach for SLB. I think he wins that role, at least as the backup because of his versatility.

If Pisa signs our final LB corps:

SLB: Pisa/Hunter

MLB: Urlacher/Williams

WLB: Briggs/Freeman

Both Willams and Freeman should be our special teams guys.

No argument we have gotten great value out of Hilly. My point about last year was, IMHO, in the past, more was done to minimize his weaknesses while maximizing his strengths. Last year, due to how we were using Urlacher in particular, Hilly was more often asked to cover, which is simply not something he is good at.

Think about it. In the past, Urlacher was so often used in coverage, but last year, Babich had Ulracher playing over the top of the DTs, and often blitzing him. When Urlacher would do that, the coverage duty (deep middle) would fall to Hilly, which he was simply incapable of doing. Further, even when Urlacher would not blitz, he was unable to get back into his area, thus creating a greater hole, which also further exposed Hilly.

But moving forward, I think the staff would like a more athletic SLB, yet at the same time, I simply believe that if they are looking for a pure backup, Hilly may have an edge as he can backup both MLB and SLB, where as Roach may be more pure SLB depth.

It is amazing how we as fans have grown so attached to an undrafted FA that the Bears signed off of another teams practice squad. Nfo you have surprised me on this also mentioning how the games were called didn't put Hilly in a position to succeed. This is a guy who went undrafted we have gotten more than our moneys worth from him. I put Hillenmeyer in the Adrian Petersen category. I think Lovie likes both of them but its getting harder to keep both of these guys on the roster if they are making the veteran minimum and have no significant playing time besides special teams.