Mike Brown to the Chiefs?

Wesson44

The Chiefs are Bringing in Veteran Safety Mike Brown for a Visit by Chris on Jun 3, 2009 6:56 AM CDT in 2009 Offseason 16 comments

View full size photo uploaded June 3, 2009

And the Scott Pioli strategy of filling out the roster with accomplished veteran NFL players continues:

The Kansas City Chiefs are bringing in the veteran safety for a visit today, according to a league source, in a move that would reunite him with first-year head coach Todd Haley, who was the Bears' receivers coach from 2001 to 2003.

The Bears let Brown's contract expire, and he has been a free agent for three months. Brown told another source he is motivated to prove he remains a starting-caliber player. His injury history includes a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the season opener at San Diego in 2007.

The Bears drafted Brown 39th overall in the 2000 NFL Draft. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2005 and was an All-Pro selection in 2001 and 2005. (Ed. Note: Table added by Primetime at 7:55 AM)

The Kansas City Chiefs have their starters at safety - Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard - but seriously lack depth at the position. Behind Page and Pollard, the Chiefs have veteran and defensive captainJon McGraw, undrafted free agent Ricky Price and 2008 3rd round pick Dajuan Morgan. Brown would added some much need, Pioli style depth. Plus, like a Zach Thomas, Mike Brown will help the younger guys:

Brown is also noted by teammates and coaches for his on-field coaching ability. He made the NFL transitions much easier for his fellow safeties Chris Harris and Danieal Manning by making sure they were in the correct positions. Brian Urlacher often referred to him as the actual leader of the defense.

This is a Scott Pioli/Todd Haley signing to a T. Brown played for Chicago during Haley's tenure there as the wide recievers coach.

The big knock on Brown is his injury history, which is a big reason the Bears released him. Brown injured his Achilles in 2004; a Lisfranc fracture in 2006; knee injury in 2007; and a calf injury late in the 2008 season that soured the Bears on Brown and his new contract. The last year Brown completed an entire season injury free was 2003.

So, should the Chiefs sign Mike Brown? I say yes. It makes so much sense - from veteran leadership to depth. This is what Scott Pioli does best - find veterans, bring them into the fold and maximize their value.

The Chiefs are Bringing in Veteran Safety Mike Brown for a Visit by Chris on Jun 3, 2009 6:56 AM CDT in 2009 Offseason

The Bears let Brown's contract expire, and he has been a free agent for three months. Brown told another source he is motivated to prove he remains a starting-caliber player. His injury history includes a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the season opener at San Diego in 2007.

I said it before the Bears let him go. He's still a starting-caliber player. He had bad luck, and one cheap shot, that caused his injuries. I'd rather have him for 10 games at safety than Daniel Manning for 16 at safety.

I said it before the Bears let him go. He's still a starting-caliber player. He had bad luck, and one cheap shot, that caused his injuries. I'd rather have him for 10 games at safety than Daniel Manning for 16 at safety.

Well, the Achilles/calf injury that he has is a chronic one at this point. His other injuries I would chalk up to bad luck, but that one is going to recur for the rest of his career, and it limits his range even when he's healthy. He's basically better suited to play strong safety at this point: look at how much more successful he was when they moved him over last season.

I agree about Manning, but he's the nickel corner now. It's a shame that he didn't pan out as a free safety, since I think Lovie's plan was to have him step in for Brown in '07 or '08. That said, I still think we needed to transition away from Brown. I would have loved to keep him for depth and leadership, but I really don't think you could expect him to play another 15-game season like he did last year. There are very, very few players at his position who are still starters despite ending every season on IR. Bob Sanders comes to mind, but not many other guys.

EDIT:

I should point out that I think the Chiefs got a great player. They have their two starters at FS and SS, but they're both really young guys and should benefit greatly just by being around a player like Mike Brown.