Can Brandon Rideau Contribute?

Wesson44

Can Brandon Rideau Contribute? by GeauxBears on Jun 2, 2009 5:00 PM CDT 29 comments

The Chicago Bears picked up wide receiver Brandon Rideau after he was cut in the 2006 preseason by the Cleveland Browns. He has since spent his time on the practice squad. A lot of people have been asking about Rideau, wondering why the Bears have been keeping him around for so long without actually doing anything with him. Larry Meyer addressed Rideau in the May 26 edition of Chalk Talk.

Brandon Rideau is having a very good offseason. He’s made some nice catches in the workouts I’ve watched, including a nifty grab along the sideline in an OTA practice last week. Given his knowledge of the system coupled with the lack of experience at the receiver position, Rideau should have a golden opportunity to earn a spot on the Bears' 53-man roster and possibly contribute on offense. As a receiver, Rideau has excellent hands but lacks top-end speed. One big thing in Rideau's favor is that he's a solid four-phase performer on special teams, something that's a requirement for the fourth and fifth receivers.

Brandon Rideau is listed at 6'3", 198lbs, and was undrafted in 2005 out of Kansas. He has good size, good hands, and 2009 seems like the perfect opportunity for him to start contributing. Last preseason, Rideau ended up with 5 catches for 127 yards and 3 TDs. The Bears are not strong at WR, and having Jay Cutler at the helm might just bring out the best in Rideau. He is also the tallest WR on the Bears roster.

What do you think are the chances of Rideau making the 53-man roster?

Can Brandon Rideau Contribute? by GeauxBears on Jun 2, 2009 5:00 PM CDT 29 comments

The Chicago Bears picked up wide receiver Brandon Rideau after he was cut in the 2006 preseason by the Cleveland Browns. He has since spent his time on the practice squad. A lot of people have been asking about Rideau, wondering why the Bears have been keeping him around for so long without actually doing anything with him. Larry Meyer addressed Rideau in the May 26 edition of Chalk Talk.

Brandon Rideau is having a very good offseason. He’s made some nice catches in the workouts I’ve watched, including a nifty grab along the sideline in an OTA practice last week. Given his knowledge of the system coupled with the lack of experience at the receiver position, Rideau should have a golden opportunity to earn a spot on the Bears' 53-man roster and possibly contribute on offense. As a receiver, Rideau has excellent hands but lacks top-end speed. One big thing in Rideau's favor is that he's a solid four-phase performer on special teams, something that's a requirement for the fourth and fifth receivers.

Brandon Rideau is listed at 6'3", 198lbs, and was undrafted in 2005 out of Kansas. He has good size, good hands, and 2009 seems like the perfect opportunity for him to start contributing. Last preseason, Rideau ended up with 5 catches for 127 yards and 3 TDs. The Bears are not strong at WR, and having Jay Cutler at the helm might just bring out the best in Rideau. He is also the tallest WR on the Bears roster.

What do you think are the chances of Rideau making the 53-man roster?

Obviously there's a wide-open depth chart at receiver behind Hester and Bennett, but I think Brandon Rideau's only going to make the roster if the Bears keep six wideouts. Rashied Davis is going to stay on board as a #3 or #4 receiver, and both Iglesias and Knox are locks to make the roster. If I remember right, the Bears started 2008 with five wideouts on the roster - they only elevated Rideau from the practice squad in November. If they start the '09 season with five receivers, I don't see anyone who Rideau could beat. If they keep six, there'll be one spot for Rideau, Derek Kinder, Eric Peterman, John Broussard, and Devin Aromashodu to compete for. Unless Kinder really comes on strong, Rideau could probably win that sixth spot. If they only keep five, though, I don't think he beats Knox or Iglesias.

When you began by saying we have a wide open depth chart at WR, I was ready to argue, but then I saw what you meant. We are not wide open in the sense of roster spots available. As you said, Hester, Bennett, Iglesias are locks, with Knox and Davis virutal locks. That leaves one likely spot. I realize now you simply meant wide open in the sense of 1-2-3-4-5-6 ordering.

I think it is a lock we keep 6. We may have kept 5 in the past at times, but I think we likely had more proven veterans on the roster, as opposed to this year when we will be counting on a lot of developing taking place.

As for his shot to make the team, I think he has a good enough chance. As the article points out, he has several things going for him that give him a boost.

(a) Knowledge of the system/playbook/terminology. We saw w/ Bennett, considered a smart player, how it can take time to learn the system. That would seem to put several players at risk.

(B) Size. Looking at our top 5 WRs, we have some w/ speed, some w/ great hands and route running, and a couple w/ decent size, but none considered "big" WRs. Even among those he would be competing against for the 6th spot, Rideau is the tallest. Simply put, Rideau brings something no other WR we have on the roster right now does.

© As the article points out, Rideau is not only a strong candidate for special teams, an absolute must for backup WRs, but is a 4 phase teams player. That is very significant.

I think Rideau has a solid chance to make the roster, but it is on him. He needs to have a great camp to prove he should stay.

Obviously there's a wide-open depth chart at receiver behind Hester and Bennett, but I think Brandon Rideau's only going to make the roster if the Bears keep six wideouts. Rashied Davis is going to stay on board as a #3 or #4 receiver, and both Iglesias and Knox are locks to make the roster. If I remember right, the Bears started 2008 with five wideouts on the roster - they only elevated Rideau from the practice squad in November. If they start the '09 season with five receivers, I don't see anyone who Rideau could beat. If they keep six, there'll be one spot for Rideau, Derek Kinder, Eric Peterman, John Broussard, and Devin Aromashodu to compete for. Unless Kinder really comes on strong, Rideau could probably win that sixth spot. If they only keep five, though, I don't think he beats Knox or Iglesias.

Guest TerraTor

He cant possibly be more dissapointing than SaberCat Davis, no one can drop a 3rd down pass like him...

what gets under my skin (typical bears thinking) is we are applying a depth chart of hester and Bennet. They have a combined 71 catches in two years (all hesters). I think Bennet is the prototype reciever however, 6'1 and 200 with above average speed. Thing is, Marshall and especially

Eddie friggin Royal were products of Cutler, Olsen to me is a much better TE than Sheffler, and we have a fantastic RB.

All that being said, I think we need to snag a good veteran for this team when one becomes available or we are in a bit of trouble.

Good question. If experience is a factor with a brand new QB, he should have a leg up on the competition. I agree that we'll have to keep 6 to keep him, unless stonehands Davis surprisingly gets cut. I look at our developing corps and wonder if it wouldn't be best to keep only 5. That's 18% more chance for a guy to get game reps with Cutler. When it's all said and done, that is what should count when the season begins.

So many options, so few roster spots...

I look at our developing corps and wonder if it wouldn't be best to keep only 5. That's 18% more chance for a guy to get game reps with Cutler. When it's all said and done, that is what should count when the season begins.

That's an interesting way to look at it, and I think I agree with you there. All of our receivers are going to be projects, except Davis who basically is what he is at this point. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think anybody looking at our WR corps right now would see the same things: a lot of youth, a lot of potential, and very little proven production. If we're going into this season knowing that we'll be developing basically our whole receiver corps, why not keep fewer receivers so they each get more reps?

Slight derail, but when I look at the Giants this offseason I think they could be in a situation similar to Chicago's, albeit not quite as bad. They lost Plax and Toomer, so Steve Smith went from a slot receiver to a #1 and Hixon went from a kick returner to a #2. Behind them are four guys (Sinorice Moss, Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden) who've done nothing or practically nothing in the pros. All 6 guys are 25 or younger, and all of them are relatively unproven. As a point of reference - Devin Hester had more receiving yards and touchdowns last year than anybody on the Giants, and out of their group, only Steve Smith had more catches than Hester.

To compare further, both offenses have excellent running games and young Pro Bowl QBs. Obviously, in the passing game the Bears can lean more heavily on Olsen and Clark than the Giants can on Kevin Boss, but Chicago probably can't match New York's pass protection from the offensive line. I'll be interested to see if Chicago and New York take similar approaches to developing a whole group of wide receivers at once.

Starting? I think that is a reach. He will be fighting to make the 53 man roster. He will have to show something just for that to happen. I am not even sure he has a shot to start.

Think about pre-season games. He likely will not see action until the 2nd half of games, and w/ the 3rd string. Even if he looks great, he "might" move up to 2nd string, but is simply not likely to break the starting lineup. I think that not only would he have to have a lights out camp and pre-season, but Bennett, Iglesias and Davis would all have to bomb completely.

It sounds like from what I've read Cutler is pushing this kid to step up hinting that he can be a possible threat as he's 6'3. With the lack of talent at WR I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting. He'll definitely make the team unless he has an awful preseason.

I agree there are similarities. Both are looking like they will be relying on young WRs.

The biggest difference I see between the two teams is the run game. Forte is great, but the truth is, our overall run game was not. Do you realize NY had two RBs over 1,000 yards? In all, they had just over 2,500 yards, compared to our rushing of around 1,600 yards.

Point is, NY can rely more on their run game than we can, though I do think we can lean on ours too.

But yes, I do agree that both teams are set up pretty similar. It will be interesting to see how each develops their youth.

That's an interesting way to look at it, and I think I agree with you there. All of our receivers are going to be projects, except Davis who basically is what he is at this point. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think anybody looking at our WR corps right now would see the same things: a lot of youth, a lot of potential, and very little proven production. If we're going into this season knowing that we'll be developing basically our whole receiver corps, why not keep fewer receivers so they each get more reps?

Slight derail, but when I look at the Giants this offseason I think they could be in a situation similar to Chicago's, albeit not quite as bad. They lost Plax and Toomer, so Steve Smith went from a slot receiver to a #1 and Hixon went from a kick returner to a #2. Behind them are four guys (Sinorice Moss, Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden) who've done nothing or practically nothing in the pros. All 6 guys are 25 or younger, and all of them are relatively unproven. As a point of reference - Devin Hester had more receiving yards and touchdowns last year than anybody on the Giants, and out of their group, only Steve Smith had more catches than Hester.

To compare further, both offenses have excellent running games and young Pro Bowl QBs. Obviously, in the passing game the Bears can lean more heavily on Olsen and Clark than the Giants can on Kevin Boss, but Chicago probably can't match New York's pass protection from the offensive line. I'll be interested to see if Chicago and New York take similar approaches to developing a whole group of wide receivers at once.

I say someone has to get injured for him to make the team. Not wishing it upon anyone especially as I view other WR as being better players but that's just the way I see it. It might not be a season ending injury but if someone like Knox gets hurt during preseason he'll miss enough practices to put him too far behind to catch up with the playbook. I don't anticipate us keeping 6 WRs.

I see them keeping Rideau only if Davis gets cut, Kinder from all I read is going to be monster, Rideau will have to beat out Davis. Personaly I will take Kinder over Davis anyway, Draftees always take priority over UFA's anyway. But because of Kinder blocking he will be on the Roster before Davis will this year. That is only if Rideau beats out Davis.

Why do you expect only 5 WRs kept?

W/ so little proven, I just think we will keep 6 hoping a few step up through the season. W/ so little proven commodities, I question keeping a smaller number.

The only reason 5 is a possibility (IMHO) would be due to other positions. We are likely going to keep 4 RBs. Further, is it possible we could keep 4 TEs? Olsen and Clark are locks. I think Gaines is a near lock, and the staff view him as a combo player, capable of playing TE, FB, or whatever sort of big boy blocker needed. Then there is Kellen Davis, who, if he has a solid camp, could be difficult to cut. Anyway, if we keep extra RB and TE, it may be harder to keep a 6th WR.

W/ that said, I just have a hard time seeing us going w/ only 5 WR. If Kinder, Rideau, Aromoshadu or Broussard look good in camp, I think it will be hard to not keep a 6th WR. If they all look like crap, then maybe, but considering how weak we have been, and unproven we are, it just seems more logical to view the position w/ quantity, hoping quality rises to the top.

I say someone has to get injured for him to make the team. Not wishing it upon anyone especially as I view other WR as being better players but that's just the way I see it. It might not be a season ending injury but if someone like Knox gets hurt during preseason he'll miss enough practices to put him too far behind to catch up with the playbook. I don't anticipate us keeping 6 WRs.

I have a feeling Davis may be safe this year. While he was bad last year, he was a good enough looking WR in the past, and many are saying last year's poor play was more about his simply being played at a higher level than his talent dictates. In other words, he is a slot WR, plain and simple, but was made a starter due to our pitiful talent level. So the belief is he could still be a quality WR.

Whether all that is true or not, I don't know. What I do know is that our WR corp has nice looking talent and potential, but very little by way of experience. If you get rid of Davis, the only WR on the entire roster who has any experience would be Hester, and even he is considered more on the raw/still developing side.

I think for one more year, Davis is relatively safe, unless he just looks awful in camp.

I see them keeping Rideau only if Davis gets cut, Kinder from all I read is going to be monster, Rideau will have to beat out Davis. Personaly I will take Kinder over Davis anyway, Draftees always take priority over UFA's anyway. But because of Kinder blocking he will be on the Roster before Davis will this year. That is only if Rideau beats out Davis.

I have a feeling Davis may be safe this year. While he was bad last year, he was a good enough looking WR in the past, and many are saying last year's poor play was more about his simply being played at a higher level than his talent dictates. In other words, he is a slot WR, plain and simple, but was made a starter due to our pitiful talent level. So the belief is he could still be a quality WR.

Whether all that is true or not, I don't know. What I do know is that our WR corp has nice looking talent and potential, but very little by way of experience. If you get rid of Davis, the only WR on the entire roster who has any experience would be Hester, and even he is considered more on the raw/still developing side.

I think for one more year, Davis is relatively safe, unless he just looks awful in camp.

I think you're right. Davis is very poor at split end and flanker, but I'd say he's league-average in the slot. That, combined with his value on special teams (he's legitimately very good on the kick coverage unit) should keep him around for at least another season until Iglesias or Knox proves to be more valuable.

With that said, if we add a veteran, I think Davis is the most likely to get released. Right now, more than any other reason, I think he is on the roster due to the lack of experience among the rest.

I think you're right. Davis is very poor at split end and flanker, but I'd say he's league-average in the slot. That, combined with his value on special teams (he's legitimately very good on the kick coverage unit) should keep him around for at least another season until Iglesias or Knox proves to be more valuable.

Do you mean Rashied or Kellen?

For some reason, I think this staff likes Rashied...I'm not sure he'd be the odd man out.

Kellen's too young to let go...

With that said, if we add a veteran, I think Davis is the most likely to get released. Right now, more than any other reason, I think he is on the roster due to the lack of experience among the rest.

I mean Rashied. I think the staff likes him fine too, but I think the staff may well like other, younger players on the roster who have greater upside. I think the big key that keeps Rashied on the roster right now is experience, which we simply lack. If we add, just for argument sake, Burress, I think Davis' experience is a far lesser need/factor. At that point, if you simply compare Rashied against some of the other player in terms of WR talent, he may well be on the outside looking in.

Do you mean Rashied or Kellen?

For some reason, I think this staff likes Rashied...I'm not sure he'd be the odd man out.

Kellen's too young to let go...

Why do you expect only 5 WRs kept?

W/ so little proven, I just think we will keep 6 hoping a few step up through the season. W/ so little proven commodities, I question keeping a smaller number.

The only reason 5 is a possibility (IMHO) would be due to other positions. We are likely going to keep 4 RBs. Further, is it possible we could keep 4 TEs? Olsen and Clark are locks. I think Gaines is a near lock, and the staff view him as a combo player, capable of playing TE, FB, or whatever sort of big boy blocker needed. Then there is Kellen Davis, who, if he has a solid camp, could be difficult to cut. Anyway, if we keep extra RB and TE, it may be harder to keep a 6th WR.

W/ that said, I just have a hard time seeing us going w/ only 5 WR. If Kinder, Rideau, Aromoshadu or Broussard look good in camp, I think it will be hard to not keep a 6th WR. If they all look like crap, then maybe, but considering how weak we have been, and unproven we are, it just seems more logical to view the position w/ quantity, hoping quality rises to the top.

I just question the wisdom of keeping so many rookies/unproven players at one position. If we add a vet WR then I can clearly see keeping 6 with the 3 top young players on the roster. Before keeping 4 inexperienced WR I'd rather see us keep the 4 TEs and use more heavy sets if need be.

Gotcha.

If Buress comes in, then I'd expect Davis to go bye-bye.

No vet, then Davis sticks around I think.

I mean Rashied. I think the staff likes him fine too, but I think the staff may well like other, younger players on the roster who have greater upside. I think the big key that keeps Rashied on the roster right now is experience, which we simply lack. If we add, just for argument sake, Burress, I think Davis' experience is a far lesser need/factor. At that point, if you simply compare Rashied against some of the other player in terms of WR talent, he may well be on the outside looking in.

I would rather keep the extra WR than the extra TE.

One, At TE, we have a pair of established TEs in Olsen and Clark. We also just added a solid blocking TE in Gaines. I honestly do not see us keeping Davis at this point. To me, it seems like the addition of Gaines was to replace him. Fans began to really fall in love w/ him, particularly due to his size, and red zone potential, but it seems like the staff were really just looking at him as a blocking TE. Further, it seems the staff didn't like his level of development in this regard, thus why we added Gaines. I honestly just do not see a role for Davis at this point.

Two. At TE, you most often has one TE playing, maybe two in a bigger set. At WR, you most always have 2, often have 3, and probably have 4 WRs playing as often as you have 2 TEs. Seems like having depth at WR is more important than at TE.

Three. As said above, we have a pretty established trio of TEs. At WR however, we have little in terms of "established". Heck, you can even argue we have nothing established as there are still questions whether or not Hester can be a #1 WR, which is the role we hope he can fill. I believe strongly in Iglesias, and feel some other can step up. Others feel strongly about this receiver or that one, but in the end, we are really just going off "potential". The more players you have in the pool, the more your odds of finding quality goes up.

If Rideau, or the other WRs battling for the 6th spot fail to impress, that is one thing, but if one (or more) look good, I think it would be difficult to release them.

I just question the wisdom of keeping so many rookies/unproven players at one position. If we add a vet WR then I can clearly see keeping 6 with the 3 top young players on the roster. Before keeping 4 inexperienced WR I'd rather see us keep the 4 TEs and use more heavy sets if need be.

I would rather keep the extra WR than the extra TE.

One, At TE, we have a pair of established TEs in Olsen and Clark. We also just added a solid blocking TE in Gaines. I honestly do not see us keeping Davis at this point. To me, it seems like the addition of Gaines was to replace him. Fans began to really fall in love w/ him, particularly due to his size, and red zone potential, but it seems like the staff were really just looking at him as a blocking TE. Further, it seems the staff didn't like his level of development in this regard, thus why we added Gaines. I honestly just do not see a role for Davis at this point.

Two. At TE, you most often has one TE playing, maybe two in a bigger set. At WR, you most always have 2, often have 3, and probably have 4 WRs playing as often as you have 2 TEs. Seems like having depth at WR is more important than at TE.

Three. As said above, we have a pretty established trio of TEs. At WR however, we have little in terms of "established". Heck, you can even argue we have nothing established as there are still questions whether or not Hester can be a #1 WR, which is the role we hope he can fill. I believe strongly in Iglesias, and feel some other can step up. Others feel strongly about this receiver or that one, but in the end, we are really just going off "potential". The more players you have in the pool, the more your odds of finding quality goes up.

If Rideau, or the other WRs battling for the 6th spot fail to impress, that is one thing, but if one (or more) look good, I think it would be difficult to release them.

The more players in the pool the more likely one steps up....it's true to a point but if there are so many players in that pool sharing the reps then perhaps none get enough reps to really step up. At some point you have to commit to some guys and get them fully engaged to see what they've got.

As far as the 4 TEs, I agree somewhat with your assessment however, Greg Olsen can and does fill in as our H-back type TE and thus be the 4th WR on the field. He can also be split out on some plays although the motion from the H-back set makes more sense to me. It seems Gaines also has the ability to play FB on short yardage play if we once again use our 3 OT front like we did with Williams at the end of the season. Point is these two players give us some roster flexibility.

I'll agree that Olsen, Clark, Gaines are locks for the final roster. That puts Kellen Davis competing against the 6th WR for a roster spot. You typically make the team based on how well you play your primary position but clearly this battle has a strong element of special teams play. I'm not that enamored with Rideau nor Davis and I've already stated that I can see the team shopping him for a conditional late round pick during training camp. Yet, to compete against Rideau I have to say he has a reasonable shot at making the final roster because of the flexibility Olsen brings to the team. I'll toss in one more item: TE is one of the most injured positions in the league. Add a good vet WR to the mix and you might as well push the eject button on K. Davis.

I also have to say, I am talking in general as much as specific. I have not falling in love w/ either K.Davis or Rideau. So often I think fans fall for a player due to measurables, which each does possess, no question. But I have yet to see a lot to impress me that much. Heck, I can see a situation where neither makes the team.

Re: Kellen Davis - I simply question his role on the team. Most here like him because they view him as being a potential threat on passing downs w/ his 6'7 260lb frame. Problem is, everything out of our staff's mouths indicates we were always looking at him as more of a blocking specialist. The further problem is, blocking is the area the staff seems to have felt he was most lacking in, and thus why we made the move to get Gaines. If, despite fans desires, the staff drafted him and pegged him to be a blocking TE, but he doesn't appear to be developing in that regard, I just question his overall value for the team.

Re: Rideau - Again, we have a player who, as much as anything else, is liked by fans due to size. At 6'3, he is 2 inches taller than the biggest WR expected to make the roster (Iglesias). As most of our WRs lack size, keeing Rideau is an idea many like. I like the idea of size, but also believe that size can be over-rated. Just because a WR is tall doesn't mean he can play. But, (a) as stated before, Rideau is a 4 phase special teams player, which is huge in trying to lockup that final roster spot and (B) per reports, which are very early, Rideau has been looking very good.

Right now, I simply think Rideau has a far greater shot at making the team than K.Davis. He is a better special teams player. I think it can be argued he brings something to the table "different" from the other WRs, as opposed to Davis, who really doesn't bring anything to the table over the rest. Davis may have the size, but again, if he is not being viewed as a pass catching TE, then that is negated.

I understand the argument that you can have too much at one position, as it could too much spread out, and thus limit, the number of snaps making it more difficult for a player to step up. I don't see that as an issue though. I seriously doubt Rideau, or the other WRs trying to win a 6th spot, are going to take any meaningful snaps away from those expected to make the team. Rideau will have to make his bones w/ the lesser QBs throwing to him, and while playing in the 2nd half of pre-season games. He isn't going to be taking away reps from the main WRs considered locks.

The more players in the pool the more likely one steps up....it's true to a point but if there are so many players in that pool sharing the reps then perhaps none get enough reps to really step up. At some point you have to commit to some guys and get them fully engaged to see what they've got.

As far as the 4 TEs, I agree somewhat with your assessment however, Greg Olsen can and does fill in as our H-back type TE and thus be the 4th WR on the field. He can also be split out on some plays although the motion from the H-back set makes more sense to me. It seems Gaines also has the ability to play FB on short yardage play if we once again use our 3 OT front like we did with Williams at the end of the season. Point is these two players give us some roster flexibility.

I'll agree that Olsen, Clark, Gaines are locks for the final roster. That puts Kellen Davis competing against the 6th WR for a roster spot. You typically make the team based on how well you play your primary position but clearly this battle has a strong element of special teams play. I'm not that enamored with Rideau nor Davis and I've already stated that I can see the team shopping him for a conditional late round pick during training camp. Yet, to compete against Rideau I have to say he has a reasonable shot at making the final roster because of the flexibility Olsen brings to the team. I'll toss in one more item: TE is one of the most injured positions in the league. Add a good vet WR to the mix and you might as well push the eject button on K. Davis.