Our players want Burress!!!

Wesson44

Players go Plaxico with wide acclaimby Brad Biggs, The Chicago Sun-Times , Chicago Sun Times

add this RSS blog email print

Jerry Angelo's door remains open when it comes to adding a veteran wide receiver. Bears players would like to say ''come on in'' to Plaxico Burress.

The general manager has not ruled out anything, and in an offseason like none the franchise has seen, everything is in play eight weeks before training camp. That includes Burress, the former New York Giants receiver who remains without a team while the NFL waits to see how his gun charge proceeds in New York courts.

Burress could be the final piece in a vast reshaping of the roster over the last two months, keyed by the April 2 trade for quarterback Jay Cutler. It was shortly after the deal that Burress told Bears' radio sideline reporter Zach Zaidman that Cutler had made what amounted to a recruiting call. Why not? He's a big wide receiver with big-play credentials and he would instantly take pressure off Devin Hester and the unproven first- and second-year players Cutler otherwise will count on.

''I feel pretty comfortable with what we have here right now," Hester said. ''If we added Plaxico Burress, that's only going to build confidence even more. Why wouldn't he help us?''

On Wednesday, Angelo kept open the possibility of fortifying the position.

''I can't say that it's 50-50 or anything like that,'' he told the team's Web site. ''We plan on going into training camp with what we have right now.''

Just like the Bears planned on going with Kyle Orton as their quarterback. Things happened.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus did not return a phone call seeking comment, but he announced last week that three teams have inquired about Burress. They are believed to be the Bears , Jets and Buccaneers. If Angelo is going to make a late addition to the position, Burress is the most talented player available. He has averaged 15.5 yards per catch in his career.

His ability at 31 isn't the issue, it's whether he will be available. He faces up to 3? years in jail for carrying an unlicensed handgun in Manhattan last November, the one that he accidentally put a hole in his leg with at a nightclub. Burress' next court date is June 15, and Giants play-by-play man Bob Papa reported he already has turned down a plea that would have put him behind bars for two months. It's not inconceivable that his legal situation will be resolved by the start of the season.

While the court side of this issue is the biggest hurdle, Burress also could face a suspension from commissioner Roger Goodell. But even if Burress is out till midseason, he could help in the stretch.

There have been reports that Burress was constantly at odds with Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Bears players in leadership roles don't foresee that as an issue.

''I have played here all my career so I don't know the standard anywhere else but the standard here is set and it's not going to change for anybody,'' defensive end Alex Brown said. ''If he comes here, then he'll have to do what we do and live up to those standards. Plax, hey, who wouldn't want that guy on their team? He's a great player.''

Tight end Desmond Clark said word is there aren't any problems with Burress.

''Talent is talent,'' Clark said. ''But the one thing you don't want are bad guys. Just from people I talk to, everybody says he is a really, really good guy.''

The Giants' offense wasn't the same last season minus Burress down the stretch, and teammates bemoaned his absence.

''If a guy like that gets in trouble and he's not around the team, if people didn't like him, they would take their shots at him right there,'' Clark said. ''Nobody took a shot at Plaxico. He's going to sign with somebody, no doubt, because he is a great talent.

''From everything I know, he just made a couple stupid mistakes. That doesn't make him a bad guy. If he was to come here, we would welcome him. Why wouldn't we?''

For now, Earl Bennett is projected to start opposite Hester. The Bears are banking on contributions from rookie Juaquin Iglesias and slot receiver Rashied Davis. Brandon Rideau and Johnny Knox are in the mix. Remember, Angelo acknowledged the Bears would have drafted a wide receiver in the first round had they not traded for Cutler. He wanted to upgrade the position.

''So far they have been making the right decisions on the guys they have been picking, so I am hopeful whatever they do works,'' Hester said. ''It's been a heck of an offseason so far. We're shooting for the Super Bowl.''

The Bears players want Burress? Are they that poorly armed?

Yep, he has two long arms :rolleyes: , and I would love to see him on the Bears if he can get out of the predicament he is currently in and help put us in the Super Bowl.

Yep, he has two long arms :rolleyes: , and I would love to see him on the Bears if he can get out of the predicament he is currently in and help put us in the Super Bowl.

I'd love to have Plax if he's able to play in 2009, but there's virtually no chance that he gets off the hook. I've posted this elsewhere before, but here's how his legal situation breaks down:

- He's charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, which consists of carrying a gun without a valid New York carry permit. The charge is just for possession - they're not saying he committed any other crimes using the gun or did anything illegal other than having it on his person without a valid permit.

- In New York, that crime carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 and a half years. There's no possibility that the judge can exercise leniency in his sentencing: if Plax is guilty, he goes to jail.

- Plax has never had a New York carry permit. He had a Florida permit, but that permit was expired and would not have been honored by New York even if it had been valid. He also does not have a carry permit in his home state of New Jersey, and New Jersey likewise does not recognize Florida gun permits.

- He indisputably had the gun: a club full of people saw him shoot himself, records from the hospital show he was treated for a gunshot wound, police have the gun and his clothes from that night.

At this point, that's all that's required for a conviction and the minimum sentence. There's no way he can claim that he didn't have the gun or that he had a legal permit - that's a 3-1/2 year sentence automatically.

What he needs to do is take a plea deal to a lesser charge, but he's reportedly shot down his lawyers' attempts to work out a plea. He apparently thinks he can go to trial and get acquitted, and that's not going to happen. In fact, he might face additional charges if he goes to trial: when the police searched his home, they found another pistol and a rifle, and it's unclear whether he was in legal possession of those weapons.

Basically, it looks very much like Plax is going to jail. If he'd taken the plea deal, he would have been in jail for a few months and would have been back in time for the 2009 season. As it stands right now, he'll probably go to jail for several years.

Two things:

One, as I understand it, if he took one of the earlier offered deals, he would actually already be out. I think one of the deals was for either 2 or 3 months, followed by a very large amount of community service. Per the report, he doesn't want either jail time or the community service, or at least not at a high level. Just pointing out that not only would he be back in time for camp, but I think he would actually already be out.

Two, w/ that said, while I agree the case is "by law" open/shut, I would never say anything is absolute. While it is not how the system is supposed to work, more than once a judge has gone against the letter of the law when they feel it doesn't fit. Further, when you add the jury factor, then you really put a question mark into the situation. I agree w/ everything you said, but at the same time, have been involved in one too many cases where the jury flies in the face of reason. In fact, if the jury knows the minimum sentence is 3 1/2 years, and doesn't believe the punishment fits the crime, it is all together possible they do not follow their jury instructions and find him innocent, even if the evidence is overwhelming, but simply because they do not agree w/ the law.

Frankly, I think this is what Burress is banking on. He likely feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime, and feels he can get a group of citizens to feel sorry enough for him that they hand down a not guilty verdict, despite the evidence.

I really have no idea what is going to happen. As you said, by all reason, he should be found guilty, and while the punishment seems harsh, it is the law. At the same time, I myself have a hard time believing he will go to jail for 3 1/2 years. However it works out, I just have a hard time seeing that.

I'd love to have Plax if he's able to play in 2009, but there's virtually no chance that he gets off the hook. I've posted this elsewhere before, but here's how his legal situation breaks down:

- He's charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, which consists of carrying a gun without a valid New York carry permit. The charge is just for possession - they're not saying he committed any other crimes using the gun or did anything illegal other than having it on his person without a valid permit.

- In New York, that crime carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 and a half years. There's no possibility that the judge can exercise leniency in his sentencing: if Plax is guilty, he goes to jail.

- Plax has never had a New York carry permit. He had a Florida permit, but that permit was expired and would not have been honored by New York even if it had been valid. He also does not have a carry permit in his home state of New Jersey, and New Jersey likewise does not recognize Florida gun permits.

- He indisputably had the gun: a club full of people saw him shoot himself, records from the hospital show he was treated for a gunshot wound, police have the gun and his clothes from that night.

At this point, that's all that's required for a conviction and the minimum sentence. There's no way he can claim that he didn't have the gun or that he had a legal permit - that's a 3-1/2 year sentence automatically.

What he needs to do is take a plea deal to a lesser charge, but he's reportedly shot down his lawyers' attempts to work out a plea. He apparently thinks he can go to trial and get acquitted, and that's not going to happen. In fact, he might face additional charges if he goes to trial: when the police searched his home, they found another pistol and a rifle, and it's unclear whether he was in legal possession of those weapons.

Basically, it looks very much like Plax is going to jail. If he'd taken the plea deal, he would have been in jail for a few months and would have been back in time for the 2009 season. As it stands right now, he'll probably go to jail for several years.

Two things:

One, as I understand it, if he took one of the earlier offered deals, he would actually already be out. I think one of the deals was for either 2 or 3 months, followed by a very large amount of community service. Per the report, he doesn't want either jail time or the community service, or at least not at a high level. Just pointing out that not only would he be back in time for camp, but I think he would actually already be out.

Right, if he had taken the plea deal, he'd either be out or close to it, and I'd be all for the Bears trading for him. But, thus far, he's rejected every plea deal that involved ANY jail time (the last one was three months and 1500 hours' community service, if memory serves.) Unless he changes his mind, I doubt very much that we'll be seeing him play in 2009.

Two, w/ that said, while I agree the case is "by law" open/shut, I would never say anything is absolute. While it is not how the system is supposed to work, more than once a judge has gone against the letter of the law when they feel it doesn't fit. Further, when you add the jury factor, then you really put a question mark into the situation. I agree w/ everything you said, but at the same time, have been involved in one too many cases where the jury flies in the face of reason. In fact, if the jury knows the minimum sentence is 3 1/2 years, and doesn't believe the punishment fits the crime, it is all together possible they do not follow their jury instructions and find him innocent, even if the evidence is overwhelming, but simply because they do not agree w/ the law.

Frankly, I think this is what Burress is banking on. He likely feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime, and feels he can get a group of citizens to feel sorry enough for him that they hand down a not guilty verdict, despite the evidence.

I really have no idea what is going to happen. As you said, by all reason, he should be found guilty, and while the punishment seems harsh, it is the law. At the same time, I myself have a hard time believing he will go to jail for 3 1/2 years. However it works out, I just have a hard time seeing that.

Well, I agree with half of this. The deal with mandatory sentencing, as far as I'm aware, is that the judge CAN'T exercise his/her discretion in sentencing. Once you're at the sentencing hearing, the judge can't "go against the letter of the law" and recommend a lighter sentence. That's why mandatory minimum sentences are so controversial: they take a critical element of the trial process out of the hands of the judge. If Burress were to be found guilty, the judge would have to give him at least 3 and a half years. He could potentially get out early on parole, but that 3 and a half would be his sentence.

I agree with you that Plax seems to be banking on getting acquitted. That's the only way he could potentially get out of this without serving jail time, since he won't take a plea. It's always possible that a jury will acquit him, but it seems like a reasonable jury would determine that he broke the law.

We'll see how it plays out, but if he gets convicted, he'll be gone for 2009. He'd almost certainly miss 2010 as well, before he could potentially get paroled. And by the time 2011 rolls around, we could be drafting Julio Jones instead of signing a 34-year-old Plax who's been out of football for two seasons.

Right, if he had taken the plea deal, he'd either be out or close to it, and I'd be all for the Bears trading for him. But, thus far, he's rejected every plea deal that involved ANY jail time (the last one was three months and 1500 hours' community service, if memory serves.) Unless he changes his mind, I doubt very much that we'll be seeing him play in 2009.

Well, I agree with half of this. The deal with mandatory sentencing, as far as I'm aware, is that the judge CAN'T exercise his/her discretion in sentencing. Once you're at the sentencing hearing, the judge can't "go against the letter of the law" and recommend a lighter sentence. That's why mandatory minimum sentences are so controversial: they take a critical element of the trial process out of the hands of the judge. If Burress were to be found guilty, the judge would have to give him at least 3 and a half years. He could potentially get out early on parole, but that 3 and a half would be his sentence.

I agree with you that Plax seems to be banking on getting acquitted. That's the only way he could potentially get out of this without serving jail time, since he won't take a plea. It's always possible that a jury will acquit him, but it seems like a reasonable jury would determine that he broke the law.

We'll see how it plays out, but if he gets convicted, he'll be gone for 2009. He'd almost certainly miss 2010 as well, before he could potentially get paroled. And by the time 2011 rolls around, we could be drafting Julio Jones instead of signing a 34-year-old Plax who's been out of football for two seasons.

Team Plax has a couple of things going for it at this point.

1) They have been offered the 3 month deal, which basically translates to the prosecution wanting this to go away. Why? Because they don't want the publicity of what his Johnny Cochran's are going to make of the law that is on place. IMO - it is ridiculously stiff. I think his defense team has some behind the scenes idea of what is going to happen. Otherwise, he would have taken the plea. :huh:

2) They are also attempting to get the trial moved until next off-season, thus buying Plax the ability to play a full or abbreviated season this year. :drink

I may be wrong, but I think you will see him uniform for some team this season. As of now, I'll call it a 50/50. I made a bet with a co-worker to the same effect. He is a Cowboy fan and T.O. apologist. How smart can he be? B)

1) They have been offered the 3 month deal, which basically translates to the prosecution wanting this to go away. Why? Because they don't want the publicity of what his Johnny Cochran's are going to make of the law that is on place. IMO - it is ridiculously stiff.

In my opinion, it's ridiculously light, as are most sentences. It's a law with relatively little ambiguity. He's pampered, rich, and ignorant...as are many pro athletes. While I'd love to see him playing for the Bears, I think I'd rather see him face serious jail time (like Vick) instead of simply getting off with a slap on the wrist as so many wealthy people do.

In my opinion, it's ridiculously light, as are most sentences. It's a law with relatively little ambiguity. He's pampered, rich, and ignorant...as are many pro athletes. While I'd love to see him playing for the Bears, I think I'd rather see him face serious jail time (like Vick) instead of simply getting off with a slap on the wrist as so many wealthy people do.

Are you referring to the 3.5 years or the 3 months? I see my post left both up for interpretation. I meant to say the 3.5 is stiff vs the 3 months.

FootballGuys.com reports:

Source: Sal Paolantonio, ESPN.com

Sal Paolantonio, of ESPN.com, reports the attorney for unrestricted free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants) is working to find a negotiated settlement that would allow Burress to play in 2009 be either by reaching a plea deal with minimal jail time or postponing a possible trial until after the 2009 season, according to a source.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

This is what those in the Burress camp have been hoping for. Plaxico could either do jail time in the offseason, or the trial could be postponed until after the season. When a decision is made about his legal situation we'll see a few teams like the Bears and Bucs come forward with interest in the big wideout.

I also heard it reported by M Clayton on ESPN Chicago that TBB, NYJ, & CHI have all shown interest.

Are you referring to the 3.5 years or the 3 months? I see my post left both up for interpretation. I meant to say the 3.5 is stiff vs the 3 months.

3 months = ridiculously easy

3.5 years = about right

1) They have been offered the 3 month deal, which basically translates to the prosecution wanting this to go away. Why? Because they don't want the publicity of what his Johnny Cochran's are going to make of the law that is on place. IMO - it is ridiculously stiff. I think his defense team has some behind the scenes idea of what is going to happen. Otherwise, he would have taken the plea. :huh:

2) They are also attempting to get the trial moved until next off-season, thus buying Plax the ability to play a full or abbreviated season this year. :drink

I may be wrong, but I think you will see him uniform for some team this season. As of now, I'll call it a 50/50. I made a bet with a co-worker to the same effect. He is a Cowboy fan and T.O. apologist. How smart can he be? B)

For #1, from what's been reported, Plax's defense attorneys haven't been able to get him to agree to the plea deal, because he doesn't want any jail time whatsoever. If that's accurate, they're not going forward because they have a plan to get him acquitted, they're trying to get him to take a plea and he won't do it.

For #2, I think that might be the only way he plays this year. If they can get his trial moved and Goodell doesn't suspend him, he'd at least have one more season of playing time before he (probably) goes to jail. If that's the case, the Bears need to move right now. As much as I don't want to see them sandbag Bennett's development any further, there's no comparing him to Plax at this point. With Plax on board for 16 games, I think there's no way this team loses the NFC North.

In many ways I agree, but there is another side too.

While too often, celebrities or simply the rich avoid the law or get lighter sentences, I think it should also be pointed out that other times the DAs will go after them far more than they would the average joe.

If the DA gets a report about a guy who had a gun possession charge, and then see's he has no priors, I bet the DA would often negotiate a reduced sentence, as he did here w/ Burress. I understand what you are saying, but at the same time, wonder if the DA doesn't do the same if Burress was some average joe.

Plenty often, a DA will see a case involving a celebrity, and really go after them (more than normal) due to the publicity. That is no more fair than when a DA plays nice guy w/ the celeb.

Back to Burress, I know what you are saying, but just am not sold that the DA is playing favorites. Thus far, the DA has held firm that Burress must serve jail time, and has rejected any talks of a no-time plea. Unless someone shows that this DA went after the max for most any other average joe for the same offense, I don't know that we can assume there is celebrity favoritism here.

ESPN Link

Free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress is being marketed around the NFL as completely available for every game this season.

The New York Jets are said to be listening.

Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami he's optimistic the former New York Giants star "will be able to play unobstructed" this year.

The expectation from Burress' support team is that he won't stand trial for felony gun charges until after the season and that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will wait that long to issue any suspension.

"We are hopeful that the commissioner will not suspend Plax," Rosenhaus said Sunday night. "He's already been suspended by the Giants last year, five games. Since there hasn't been a resolution in the case, there's really no reason to suspend him."

Burress accidentally shot himself with a Glock semiautomatic pistol at a Manhattan nightclub in November. He was arraigned on counts of second-degree criminal possession of a loaded gun and an unlicensed weapon. There's a mandatory minimum sentence of 3½ years.

Burress is scheduled to appear in court Monday, but defense attorney Benjamin Brafman told the New York Daily News over the weekend that the case almost certainly will be delayed.

"In talking to Plax's attorney, his feeling is that a trial is not going to take place until after the season," Rosenhaus said. "He believes that after all these delays -- again, Plax hasn't been indicted yet, either -- it's going to be a very lengthy process to get to trial, and that will take place after the season.

"Our hope is, based on this information, that he will be able to play unobstructed this year, without having a trial, and he can get a season in and then deal with the legal issues after the season.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears are other teams that have been linked to him. Rosenhaus previously said the Miami Dolphins (another team in need of a receiving threat) have not been interested in Burress.