Nice article on Rideau

Connorbear

I do hope that Rideau can contribute this season, even if it's just in red-zone packages. Looking at the OTA highlight reel, though, I only see one catch made by #84. Obviously a highlight video isn't an ideal way to gauge how a guy's doing, but I hope for his sake that some of his receptions got left on the cutting room floor.

One guy who absolutely does stand out in this video is Johnny Knox. I know he's running against the second-team defensive backs, but he looked practically uncoverable out there and he made some VERY smooth catches. He seems like he has a complete repertoire, too: I saw him pull passes in over his shoulder, go up and high-point the ball, make catches in traffic on what looked like some crossing routes...just from this one video, he looks like he could be the real deal.

I do hope that Rideau can contribute this season, even if it's just in red-zone packages. Looking at the OTA highlight reel, though, I only see one catch made by #84. Obviously a highlight video isn't an ideal way to gauge how a guy's doing, but I hope for his sake that some of his receptions got left on the cutting room floor.

One guy who absolutely does stand out in this video is Johnny Knox. I know he's running against the second-team defensive backs, but he looked practically uncoverable out there and he made some VERY smooth catches. He seems like he has a complete repertoire, too: I saw him pull passes in over his shoulder, go up and high-point the ball, make catches in traffic on what looked like some crossing routes...just from this one video, he looks like he could be the real deal.

I agree. I am in love with Johnny Knox. He has the ability to not only stretch the field with his amazing speed but he has the ability to adjust and bring in some difficult passes. His hands and speed could be real trouble for a defender to cover him particularly with his amazing hands that he has. He said at the Bears Expo that he will need to work on his route running. Hopefully his route running is becomes good and he can learn how shake a defender out of his jock strap.

Is it possible Johnny Knox = Eddie Royal????

Then P Burress = B Marshall

Toss in D Hester, E Bennett & Iglesias, the 6th WR yet TBD

Now, IF we had that group of WRs for Cutler, I think the talk about our WR group would change dramatically.

Is it possible Johnny Knox = Eddie Royal????

Then P Burress = B Marshall

Toss in D Hester, E Bennett & Iglesias, the 6th WR yet TBD

Now, IF we had that group of WRs for Cutler, I think the talk about our WR group would change dramatically.

I agree and then I believe you would also hear more about how Cutler made the receivers look good in Denver instead of the other way around.

I agree and then I believe you would also hear more about how Cutler made the receivers look good in Denver instead of the other way around.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Cutler and Orton do with their new receiving crews. Orton definitely made Rashied Davis and Brandon Lloyd look better than they were, and Davis and Lloyd are a far cry from Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal.

I'm trying not to hold out hope that Cutler will turn our passing game into a bona fide threat in his first year, but look at Eddie Royal's numbers from college next to his numbers his rookie year (rookie stats in bold) in the NFL:

2004: 28 catches for 470 yards and 3 TDs

2005: 27 catches for 315 yards and 2 TDs

2006: 31 catches for 497 yards and 3 TDs

2007: 33 catches for 496 yards and 4 TDs

2008: 91 catches for 980 yards and 5 TDs

Not many rookie receivers break out like Royal did, but even fewer do so having never broken 500 yards in any previous season. I have to think a lot of that was due to Cutler.

Royal's scouting reports all describe him as basically Devin Hester-lite: great speed, great value as a return man, but with iffy hands and undeveloped route-running. I don't think anyone thought he would put up close to a thousand yards receiving as a rookie.

We'll see how it plays out next season, but if the magic ingredient for Royal really was having Jay Cutler under center, I don't see any reason to think he couldn't pull the same trick with the actual Devin Hester. If Cutler can get Hester the ball 91 times and Hester's per-catch numbers stay consistent, he'd end 2009 with 1186 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns. I know everybody's saying Hester isn't Brandon Marshall, and that's totally true, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't be Eddie Royal.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Cutler and Orton do with their new receiving crews. Orton definitely made Rashied Davis and Brandon Lloyd look better than they were, and Davis and Lloyd are a far cry from Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal.

I'm trying not to hold out hope that Cutler will turn our passing game into a bona fide threat in his first year, but look at Eddie Royal's numbers from college next to his numbers his rookie year (rookie stats in bold) in the NFL:

2004: 28 catches for 470 yards and 3 TDs

2005: 27 catches for 315 yards and 2 TDs

2006: 31 catches for 497 yards and 3 TDs

2007: 33 catches for 496 yards and 4 TDs

2008: 91 catches for 980 yards and 5 TDs

Not many rookie receivers break out like Royal did, but even fewer do so having never broken 500 yards in any previous season. I have to think a lot of that was due to Cutler.

Royal's scouting reports all describe him as basically Devin Hester-lite: great speed, great value as a return man, but with iffy hands and undeveloped route-running. I don't think anyone thought he would put up close to a thousand yards receiving as a rookie.

We'll see how it plays out next season, but if the magic ingredient for Royal really was having Jay Cutler under center, I don't see any reason to think he couldn't pull the same trick with the actual Devin Hester. If Cutler can get Hester the ball 91 times and Hester's per-catch numbers stay consistent, he'd end 2009 with 1186 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns. I know everybody's saying Hester isn't Brandon Marshall, and that's totally true, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't be Eddie Royal.

I am not sure if Hester will have 91 catches this year as I think we are deeper now as a whole at WR than Denver was last year so I believe we will be more balanced. However I believe Hester will break 1000 yards this year and I am also looking for him to get between 5-7 receiving TD's and I believe now that he is getting more comfortable in his abilities at wideout I think we could see him even return a few kicks. I don't expect to get 6 as I don't think we will see him return Kicks as much this year with all of the other options that we have there now.