Outside-the-box receiver options

defiantgiant

There's been a lot made recently of the available free agent wide receivers. They each have their problems, obviously, but those have been pretty well discussed at this point. I wanted to start a different thread to discuss some trade options the Bears might pursue, if they determine our current options across from Hester aren't going to cut it.

I'm not talking about guys who might be available for a blockbuster trade, like Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin. There are a number of receivers around the league who aren't street free agents, but could be available pretty cheaply via trade. If all it takes is a conditional second-day pick to get a guy, I think that's functionally the same as picking up a free agent. Here are some guys I've been wondering about, with arguments for and against:

Reggie Brown, Eagles

Pro: Former #35 overall pick, still relatively young at 28. Fast, very talented, with a good all-around game. Between 2006 and 2007 (his second and third seasons in the league) Brown had 107 catches for 1596 yards and 12 touchdowns. His only down season was last year, when he was dinged up for most of the season. If he can revert to '06-'07 form, he could be a very good option.

Con: Needs to demonstrate consistency. Not particularly tough or physical, and will drop some passes when he's about to get hit. Overshadowed by the emergence of DeSean Jackson last year even after he was healthy. Does not play special teams, so he ultimately had a hard time dressing for games over guys like Hank Baskett and Jason Avant, who do. Arguably a much better fit at flanker than split end.

Analysis: Brown will almost certainly be traded, and should come cheap: the success of Jackson/Curtis last season and landing Maclin in the draft means the Eagles don't really have a place for him. He'd be a fair bet for at least 700-800 yards receiving if he's fully over his injuries from last season. If he can take the next step forward, he might be good for even more. He'd have a QB in Cutler whose arm talent is comparable to Donovan McNabb, and Devin Hester might draw more coverage than Kevin Curtis did. With defenses stacking the box against Forte, Brown might have an easier time separating. Might not be spectacular, but could be a decent starter.

Ernest Wilford, Dolphins

Pro: Big and physical, at 6'4" and 223 pounds. Pretty talented, could be a decent red-zone receiver. Would provide a big target for Jay Cutler, which the Bears don't currently have. Runs good routes inside, isn't scared of contact, and is a very capable blocker.

Con: Slow. Man, is he slow. Ran a 4.77 coming out of college, and there are concerns that he's lost a step since. Definitely struggles to separate from DBs. Has never broken 700 yards receiving or 45 catches in a season, and hasn't even come close to his 681-yard, 7-TD season in 2005.

Analysis: Like Brown, Wilford is falling behind other receivers on his team. However, where Brown is struggling to beat out a very talented trio of DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, and Jeremy Maclin, Wilford can't get past Ted Ginn, Davone Bess, and Greg Camarillo. Could offer some value in the red zone, but that's about it: might not even have the separation skills to be a possession guy. Is already 30, and appears to be declining. Could provide some veteran competition, but wouldn't necessarily be a good bet to beat any of the guys we've already got.

Malcom Floyd, Chargers

Pro: Huge target at 6'5" and 225 pounds. Good straight-line speed considering his size. Very capable red-zone receiver and nasty on special teams. Has some years left at 27. Hasn't gotten beyond #3 on San Diego's depth chart, but he's behind Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers, so there's no shame in that.

Cons: Questionable hands. San Diego evidently doesn't view him as much more than a red-zone guy and special teamer. Has had some injuries.

Analysis: Floyd finally signed his one-year tender, but that was after a protracted holdout. He wants a long-term deal, which San Diego doesn't want to give him. He's on a second-round tender, and obviously that's too much to give up for him, but the Chargers might be willing to trade him for a Day 2 pick.

Roscoe Parrish, Bills

Pro: Very quick, good long speed, still young at 26. Despite limited use as a receiver, has more receptions (97) than anyone on the Bears' roster, and has broken a couple of long touchdowns. Offers top-tier ability as a punt returner.

Con: Small. Listed at 5'9" and 176 lbs., which certainly limits him to the slot as a receiver. Best value is as a return man, which is not an area of need for the Bears.

Analysis: The Bills shopped Parrish earlier this offseason, for reasons unknown. He's a great returner, but he's now fairly low on Buffalo's depth chart, behind T.O., Lee Evans, and possibly Steve Johnson or James Hardy. Parrish wouldn't be a candidate for a #2 job, but could push Rashied Davis out of slot receiver duties if Iglesias can't step up.

...anybody else you guys can think of who might be available for a late-rounder? I'm thinking somebody from the 49ers could get either cut or traded, what with Crabtree falling into their laps and Josh Morgan emerging last season. Crabtree/Morgan/Isaac Bruce look to be their top 3, so a guy like Arnaz Battle or Brandon Jones might not have a place. I'm not sure what value they could offer, though.

There's been a lot made recently of the available free agent wide receivers. They each have their problems, obviously, but those have been pretty well discussed at this point. I wanted to start a different thread to discuss some trade options the Bears might pursue, if they determine our current options across from Hester aren't going to cut it.

I'm not talking about guys who might be available for a blockbuster trade, like Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin. There are a number of receivers around the league who aren't street free agents, but could be available pretty cheaply via trade. If all it takes is a conditional second-day pick to get a guy, I think that's functionally the same as picking up a free agent. Here are some guys I've been wondering about, with arguments for and against:

Reggie Brown, Eagles

Pro: Former #35 overall pick, still relatively young at 28. Fast, very talented, with a good all-around game. Between 2006 and 2007 (his second and third seasons in the league) Brown had 107 catches for 1596 yards and 12 touchdowns. His only down season was last year, when he was dinged up for most of the season. If he can revert to '06-'07 form, he could be a very good option.

Con: Needs to demonstrate consistency. Not particularly tough or physical, and will drop some passes when he's about to get hit. Overshadowed by the emergence of DeSean Jackson last year even after he was healthy. Does not play special teams, so he ultimately had a hard time dressing for games over guys like Hank Baskett and Jason Avant, who do. Arguably a much better fit at flanker than split end.

Analysis: Brown will almost certainly be traded, and should come cheap: the success of Jackson/Curtis last season and landing Maclin in the draft means the Eagles don't really have a place for him. He'd be a fair bet for at least 700-800 yards receiving if he's fully over his injuries from last season. If he can take the next step forward, he might be good for even more. He'd have a QB in Cutler whose arm talent is comparable to Donovan McNabb, and Devin Hester might draw more coverage than Kevin Curtis did. With defenses stacking the box against Forte, Brown might have an easier time separating. Might not be spectacular, but could be a decent starter.

Ernest Wilford, Dolphins

Pro: Big and physical, at 6'4" and 223 pounds. Pretty talented, could be a decent red-zone receiver. Would provide a big target for Jay Cutler, which the Bears don't currently have. Runs good routes inside, isn't scared of contact, and is a very capable blocker.

Con: Slow. Man, is he slow. Ran a 4.77 coming out of college, and there are concerns that he's lost a step since. Definitely struggles to separate from DBs. Has never broken 700 yards receiving or 45 catches in a season, and hasn't even come close to his 681-yard, 7-TD season in 2005.

Analysis: Like Brown, Wilford is falling behind other receivers on his team. However, where Brown is struggling to beat out a very talented trio of DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, and Jeremy Maclin, Wilford can't get past Ted Ginn, Davone Bess, and Greg Camarillo. Could offer some value in the red zone, but that's about it: might not even have the separation skills to be a possession guy. Is already 30, and appears to be declining. Could provide some veteran competition, but wouldn't necessarily be a good bet to beat any of the guys we've already got.

Malcom Floyd, Chargers

Pro: Huge target at 6'5" and 225 pounds. Good straight-line speed considering his size. Very capable red-zone receiver and nasty on special teams. Has some years left at 27. Hasn't gotten beyond #3 on San Diego's depth chart, but he's behind Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers, so there's no shame in that.

Cons: Questionable hands. San Diego evidently doesn't view him as much more than a red-zone guy and special teamer. Has had some injuries.

Analysis: Floyd finally signed his one-year tender, but that was after a protracted holdout. He wants a long-term deal, which San Diego doesn't want to give him. He's on a second-round tender, and obviously that's too much to give up for him, but the Chargers might be willing to trade him for a Day 2 pick.

Roscoe Parrish, Bills

Pro: Very quick, good long speed, still young at 26. Despite limited use as a receiver, has more receptions (97) than anyone on the Bears' roster, and has broken a couple of long touchdowns. Offers top-tier ability as a punt returner.

Con: Small. Listed at 5'9" and 176 lbs., which certainly limits him to the slot as a receiver. Best value is as a return man, which is not an area of need for the Bears.

Analysis: The Bills shopped Parrish earlier this offseason, for reasons unknown. He's a great returner, but he's now fairly low on Buffalo's depth chart, behind T.O., Lee Evans, and possibly Steve Johnson or James Hardy. Parrish wouldn't be a candidate for a #2 job, but could push Rashied Davis out of slot receiver duties if Iglesias can't step up.

...anybody else you guys can think of who might be available for a late-rounder? I'm thinking somebody from the 49ers could get either cut or traded, what with Crabtree falling into their laps and Josh Morgan emerging last season. Crabtree/Morgan/Isaac Bruce look to be their top 3, so a guy like Arnaz Battle or Brandon Jones might not have a place. I'm not sure what value they could offer, though.

With what you listed at WR I'll stay put and take my chances with what we have.

With what you listed at WR I'll stay put and take my chances with what we have.

Agreed, none of these WRs mentioned would justify a contract, I have more faith in our WRs, even without experience, than these guys who have had their chances but never made it and shined.