The Latest on Marshall: asked to be traded

madlithuanian

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Schefter: Brandon Marshall Asked To Be Traded

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 2:56 p.m.

Adam Schefter, who technically still works for NFL Network but who soon will be jumping to ESPN, continues to keep his finger on the pulse of the NFL.

Or, as the case may be, against its prostate gland.

In a Monday morning segment with 850 KOA in Denver, Schefter said that Marshall asked owner Pat Bowlen to be traded during their Friday meeting.

Per Schefter, Marshall told Bowlen, "I think I'd like to be traded." Schefter said that Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to consider whether he wants a new contract or a trade, and that Marshall is expected to stick to his guns.

Schefter also said that there are other teams in the league (the Bears?) that are ready make a play for Marshall.

So stay tuned.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Schefter: Brandon Marshall Asked To Be Traded

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 2:56 p.m.

Adam Schefter, who technically still works for NFL Network but who soon will be jumping to ESPN, continues to keep his finger on the pulse of the NFL.

Or, as the case may be, against its prostate gland.

In a Monday morning segment with 850 KOA in Denver, Schefter said that Marshall asked owner Pat Bowlen to be traded during their Friday meeting.

Per Schefter, Marshall told Bowlen, “I think I’d like to be traded.” Schefter said that Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to consider whether he wants a new contract or a trade, and that Marshall is expected to stick to his guns.

Schefter also said that there are other teams in the league (the Bears?) that are ready make a play for Marshall.

So stay tuned.

What team wouldn't want to have Marshall on there team. The downfall about him is his off the field issues.

What team wouldn't want to have Marshall on there team. The downfall about him is his off the field issues.

I suspect, based on the cooments in this article that Cutler himself might not be too keen on having Marshall in Chicago.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/872248.html

Former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler realized that Marshall's immaturity was a big problem for the team last year, sharing his candid thoughts with the media after the receiver sustained a very serious cut that severed tendons in his arm. Marshall claimed that he had fallen into a television set while fooling around with his brother, an incident that he referenced as a wake-up call.

"He's had many wakeup calls," Cutler said last April. "I mean, he's been in [head coach Mike] Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing, 'this is a wakeup call, this is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens."

While Cutler didn't particularly think that Marshall was a bad person, "It's just

If Denver decides to honor his trade request, the Bears, Bucs, and Jets will all definitely be in play. But really, a lot of teams could use a receiver of his caliber. I could see him going to the Redskins or the Giants: both teams are in need of a proven wideout.

Honestly, I would love to have Marshall's production on the field. But if we're talking about this really happening, I couldn't get behind the move unless it really seems like he's going to turn it around as a person, get in counseling or some kind of anger management program, etc. I'm not a puritan or anything: I don't have any problem with football players who smoke pot or whatever. But a guy who beats his girlfriend isn't somebody I want on my team. I remember reading an article about Marshall that mentioned that the sheriff's dept. out in Denver had fielded 11 calls from his house since sometime in 2006. He's got a handful of domestic violence arrests/charges stemming from incidents with both of his last two girlfriends. That's something that would keep me from cheering for a guy.

What do we offer them, though?

Well, Marshall was a fourth-round pick, but he's played better than a lot of first-rounders. I would guess that the starting point to get it done would be a #1. We don't have one in 2010, so unless we want to give up our first in 2011, I'd say we'd be looking at our 2009 2nd and at least one player, were we to try and trade for Marshall.

Marshall isn't coming to Chicago. Not only do we lack amunition but the Broncos are not going to let this get out of hand similiar to the Cutler situation.

We are much better off going after free agent WR Plaxico Burress. Granit the dude has a hell of a lot of legal issues, but if he could serve the league suspension (im guessing 5-8 games) & serve his required time in prison during that time period, we would have him ready to go by Week 9. A Low Risk- High Reward 1 year deal that could eventually put us over the top.

trade em one of our DL or somethin...

Most of our defensive linemen couldn't make the switch to a three-man front. Tommie Harris is a pure under tackle; he's not stout enough to play the nose and he doesn't have the length to play end. Not to mention that turning him into a run-stopping 3-4 DE would be a huge waste of his skills. Alex Brown and Ogunleye are both OLBs in a 3-4, as is Mark Anderson, and Denver is stacked with 4-3 DEs turned 3-4 OLBs.

The best bet would be Idonije, who could potentially add weight again and play 3-4 DE. But even Idonije plus our 2009 second-round pick isn't really enough value for Marshall.

Apparently there are rumors that Marshall's headed to Baltimore, which would make a ton of sense. They need another receiver opposite Derrick Mason, and they run a 3-4. They could send Kelly Gregg and a pick, then move Haloti Ngata to nose tackle full-time.

Most of our defensive linemen couldn't make the switch to a three-man front. Tommie Harris is a pure under tackle; he's not stout enough to play the nose and he doesn't have the length to play end. Not to mention that turning him into a run-stopping 3-4 DE would be a huge waste of his skills. Alex Brown and Ogunleye are both OLBs in a 3-4, as is Mark Anderson, and Denver is stacked with 4-3 DEs turned 3-4 OLBs.

The best bet would be Idonije, who could potentially add weight again and play 3-4 DE. But even Idonije plus our 2009 second-round pick isn't really enough value for Marshall.

Apparently there are rumors that Marshall's headed to Baltimore, which would make a ton of sense. They need another receiver opposite Derrick Mason, and they run a 3-4. They could send Kelly Gregg and a pick, then move Haloti Ngata to nose tackle full-time.

forget about Marshall , he will cost us to much, when we can get Plax for just a bowl of money. We have to pay Cutler at some point in time and beside wha we give up , he will want around 10 mill a year. Save the money and get a one and done WR like Plax and get back to the SB.

forget about Marshall , he will cost us to much, when we can get Plax for just a bowl of money. We have to pay Cutler at some point in time and beside wha we give up , he will want around 10 mill a year. Save the money and get a one and done WR like Plax and get back to the SB.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of making a trade offer for Marshall at all - I was just trying to point out that we might not have the ammunition, even if we did want to bring him in.

I think Marshall to the Ravens makes a ton of sense, especially since they failed to get any receiving help in the draft. If they don't make a move, they'll be counting on Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams to step up. Derrick Mason is still amazingly productive for a guy who's been in the league since 1997, but he's 35 and he's more of a steady, move-the-chains kind of receiver. Adding a big-play threat like Marshall would give the Ravens arguably the best receiver tandem in the AFC North and would make life a lot easier for Joe Flacco in his second year.

EDIT: One other worrisome thing about Marshall. By his own reports, he's been dealing with persistent numbness in his right hand since his McDonald's-bag incident. From Sports Illustrated:

"Marshall caught 104 passes for 1,265 yards and six TDs last season. But he dropped 18 on-target passes, something he blamed on the nerve damage in his right arm, which he said he put through a television set while horsing around with his brother a year ago in the offseason."

Here we go:

Days after Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall elected to miss the team’s mandatory mini-camp, and word spread that Marshall reportedly asked the team for a trade, Marshall’s agent confirms that his client has indeed asked to leave.

“Yes there was a meeting between Brandon, and Mr. [Pat] Bowlen. There was a request for a trade. Mr. Bowlen has said that ownership will do everything in it’s power to accommodate his wishes,” said Marshall’s agent Kennard McGuire to Fox31 Sports' Josina Anderson Tuesday morning.

http://community.kdvr.com/_AGENT-BREAKING-...9.html?as=96399

From Marshall's blog:

To whom it may concern. Life is filled with change, and where I am in my life now change is probably best. It’s hard leaving an organization ran by one of the best owners in all of sports, and someone who’s been there for me through my ups and downs. The hardest thing was hearing Mr. B wish me luck in the future, but we both came to the conclusion that this is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field.

I thank the Denver fans who embraced my emotion and play on the field and showing me love every time I step outside my door.

He gone.

http://www.bmarshall15.com/blog/?p=142#more-142

From Marshall's blog:

He gone.

http://www.bmarshall15.com/blog/?p=142#more-142

PFT says there are "rumors" that Cleveland is interested in sending Josh Cribbs and draft picks for Brandon Marshall. The speculation is that acquiring Marshall would allow them to deal Braylon Edwards. If that's all true, then the Bears don't need to deal for Marshall, we need to deal for Edwards. Even more so than Marshall, Edwards would get this team right back to the playoffs. Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about Edwards getting arrested every season.

PFT says there are "rumors" that Cleveland is interested in sending Josh Cribbs and draft picks for Brandon Marshall. The speculation is that acquiring Marshall would allow them to deal Braylon Edwards. If that's all true, then the Bears don't need to deal for Marshall, we need to deal for Edwards. Even more so than Marshall, Edwards would get this team right back to the playoffs. Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about Edwards getting arrested every season.

That would be sweet.

OK, sold.

Edwards would be a dream....

I am still all for Burress. Yes, Edwards or Marshall would be a significant upgrade. However, Burress IMO would have the most success of the 3 in our system. He would have the best skill set & the least baggage combination of the 3.

I think the agent is correct in saying Burress is unlikely to go to trial until after the 2009 season. I also doubt that with the CBA negotiations coming up that Goodell would step in on Burress until after the legal system runs it's course.

I would be all for the Bears giving a big 1 year deal to Burress with some kind of clause to protect us in case he does indeed have time lost do to the legal situation.

If Stallworth gets 30 days in prison for killing someone, how the hell is Burress going to do time for shooting himself in the foot.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw what the judge handed down to Stallworth. It is hard to believe that a guy DUI killing someone in an accident would only get 30 days. I am sure the family of the deceased victim are furious.

If Stallworth gets 30 days in prison for killing someone, how the hell is Burress going to do time for shooting himself in the foot.

Stallworth took a plea deal. Simple as that. If Plax had taken the plea deal his lawyers worked out for him, he'd already be out of jail.

Also, Stallworth's plea wasn't just 30 days. It's 30 days in jail, two years of house arrest, 10 years of probation, and he can never drive a car again for as long as he lives.