The Latest on Marshall: asked to be traded

madlithuanian

Two things to point out.

One, while it is a far cry from jail, I believe there was also a 2 year house arrest aspect of the deal. Again, the guys mansion is a far cry from the pen, but the point is, there is more than simply 30 days in jail for punishment.

Two, While he was drunk and driving, and an individual did get killed, I think there was another part of this that few have talked about. From what I read, the person who was killed was (I believe) trying to catch a bus and ran out into the street, not at the cross walk, when Stallworth hit him. I think the argument was, even if Stallworth was stone cold sober, he still likely would have hit the pedestrian. His running into the street w/o regard to oncoming traffic was as much, or more so, the cause of the incident than Stallworth having been drivinking.

That is NOT to excuse stallworth, but partially why I think the sentencing was lighter than expected. I think Stallworth was punished more for the DWI, rather than the manslaughter, because there was likely a belief that the DWI may not have been the cause of the fatality.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw what the judge handed down to Stallworth. It is hard to believe that a guy DUI killing someone in an accident would only get 30 days. I am sure the family of the deceased victim are furious.

Two things to point out.

One, while it is a far cry from jail, I believe there was also a 2 year house arrest aspect of the deal. Again, the guys mansion is a far cry from the pen, but the point is, there is more than simply 30 days in jail for punishment.

Two, While he was drunk and driving, and an individual did get killed, I think there was another part of this that few have talked about. From what I read, the person who was killed was (I believe) trying to catch a bus and ran out into the street, not at the cross walk, when Stallworth hit him. I think the argument was, even if Stallworth was stone cold sober, he still likely would have hit the pedestrian. His running into the street w/o regard to oncoming traffic was as much, or more so, the cause of the incident than Stallworth having been drivinking.

That is NOT to excuse stallworth, but partially why I think the sentencing was lighter than expected. I think Stallworth was punished more for the DWI, rather than the manslaughter, because there was likely a belief that the DWI may not have been the cause of the fatality.

Right - I'm pretty sure that in Florida you have to prove that the DUI directly caused the victim's death in order to find someone guilty of DUI manslaughter. If Stallworth hadn't taken a guilty plea in exchange for a lighter sentence, they might have had a tough time convicting him, since his attorneys may have been able to argue that he could not have avoided hitting the victim even if he had been sober. It's a technicality, sure, but I bet the prosecution didn't want to risk Stallworth getting off on a technicality.

I'm not trying to make excuses for what he did, but I'm pretty sure that's why he was able to avoid significant jail time.

Also, my understanding from listening to Cowherd this morning on my drive in, was that he immediately called the police and told him what happened. It's not a sign of a guy trying to shirk responsibility for his horrible action...

30 days and house detention may seem light, but if Stallworth is a decent human being overall, he will have to face this nightmare on a daily/nightly basis for the rest of his life, just as the deceased's family will. It is just horrible accross the board.

Right - I'm pretty sure that in Florida you have to prove that the DUI directly caused the victim's death in order to find someone guilty of DUI manslaughter. If Stallworth hadn't taken a guilty plea in exchange for a lighter sentence, they might have had a tough time convicting him, since his attorneys may have been able to argue that he could not have avoided hitting the victim even if he had been sober. It's a technicality, sure, but I bet the prosecution didn't want to risk Stallworth getting off on a technicality.

I'm not trying to make excuses for what he did, but I'm pretty sure that's why he was able to avoid significant jail time.

yea, I too read that Stallworth has been 100% cooperative, and has shown legit remorse, rather than what you often hear/read about where an individual hides behind attorneys and such.

Also, my understanding from listening to Cowherd this morning on my drive in, was that he immediately called the police and told him what happened. It's not a sign of a guy trying to shirk responsibility for his horrible action...

30 days and house detention may seem light, but if Stallworth is a decent human being overall, he will have to face this nightmare on a daily/nightly basis for the rest of his life, just as the deceased's family will. It is just horrible accross the board.

Personally, I think it is more that a simple technicality. There is no question he was guilty of the DWI, but when it comes to the death of the pedestrian, there also seems to be little question the pedestrian was also a responsible party.

You hate to "throw dirt" on the deceased, but while Stallworth has been getting ripped left and right (rightfully so) it was not his actions alone which caused the fatality.

Personally, I think it is more that a simple technicality. There is no question he was guilty of the DWI, but when it comes to the death of the pedestrian, there also seems to be little question the pedestrian was also a responsible party.

You hate to "throw dirt" on the deceased, but while Stallworth has been getting ripped left and right (rightfully so) it was not his actions alone which caused the fatality.

The deceased's family has agreed on the restitution, so that's the end of that. But Stalworth is going to have to carry the fact that he is partially to blaim for the death of someone. He will get on with his life, but I'd think there will always be that fact in the back of his brain for the rest of his life. Sad all the way around.

No argument there. There are some who I honestly believe would, in their minds, say it was all the fault of the other, and not feel the guilt. From everything I have read, it sounds like Stallworth will feel the guilt of this one for the rest of his life.

The deceased's family has agreed on the restitution, so that's the end of that. But Stalworth is going to have to carry the fact that he is partially to blaim for the death of someone. He will get on with his life, but I'd think there will always be that fact in the back of his brain for the rest of his life. Sad all the way around.

On Stallworth, I'd like to see a link to a story noting the pedestrian ran out in the street. I hadn't heard that. Regardless, it all goes back to "Nothing good happens outside your home at 2 AM."

On Edwards and Marshall, we don't have ammo. Pass.

On Plax, do it if you can. His suspension will be 4 games, tops. And will likely be bargained down from there. I'd sign him to a long term deal with a big bonus but have "good citizen" clauses in the contract which would allow you to recapture the signing bonus if he continued to be a douche. His jail time, if any, will be in the off-season. It will be minimal.

On the current roster of receivers, I think they're almost all better than they've shown and a good/great QB will prove that out. However, I'm not sold that Hester will ever be anything more than he is simply because he's a stupid bastard. But, I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, we need a #1 and I doubt any of the kids can get there in Cutler's first year. With our D aging, we can't wait and wish...

So, sign Plax, deal with the fallout and git'er done in the Superbowl.

Oh, and if Turner turns Cutler into Orton, his NFL coaching career is over. I hope he's got it in him to design and call a high-powered gameplan. Of course, he'll need to balance the attack because of the winter months in Chicago, but I seem to recall Denver gets a little snow too. Turner is on the hotseat with Lovie.

On the current roster of receivers, I think they're all better than they've shown and a good/great QB will make them better. I'm not sold that Hester will ever be anything more than he is simply because he's a stupid bastard. But, I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, we need a #1 and I doubt any of the kids can get there in Cutler's first year. With our D aging, we can't wait and wish...

???? Wow, that is kind of a rough assessment of Hester.

I heard Cowherd on ESPN stating that the victim did just run out in the street to catch the bus. I've never heard him go out on a limb w/o coroborating evidence. he's an opinionated guy, but he's never made up news. Especially something so dire.

On Stallworth, I'd like to see a link to a story noting the pedestrian ran out in the street. I hadn't heard that. Regardless, it all goes back to "Nothing good happens outside your home at 2 AM."

On Plax, do it if you can. His suspension will be 4 games, tops. And will likely be bargained down from there. I'd sign him to a long term deal with a big bonus but have "good citizen" clauses in the contract which would allow you to recapture the signing bonus if he continued to be a douche. His jail time, if any, will be in the off-season. It will be minimal.

On the current roster of receivers, I think they're almost all better than they've shown and a good/great QB will prove that out. However, I'm not sold that Hester will ever be anything more than he is simply because he's a stupid bastard. But, I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, we need a #1 and I doubt any of the kids can get there in Cutler's first year. With our D aging, we can't wait and wish...

Oh, and if Turner turns Cutler into Orton, his NFL coaching career is over. I hope he's got it in him to design and call a high-powered gameplan. Of course, he'll need to balance the attack because of the winter months in Chicago, but I seem to recall Denver gets a little snow too. Turner is on the hotseat with Lovie.

CD you say Hester is a stupid FATHERLESS CHILD but you want to sign a guy who shot himself in the leg with his own gun. How does that sound to you?

The key things IMHO about the Stallworth thing are:

1. He cooperated 100% throughout. He could have kept driving and they would have had zero proof that he was drunk at the time if he even called to report it the next morning. If he hadn't reported it, they might have never found him without someone getting his license plate. (CSI Miami is just a TV show folks btw)

2. He ALREADY completed a civil settlement with the family before the deal was made. - Geez, talk about taking responsibility.

3. It was a plea bargain and they probably couldn't have sustained the charge of DUI/Manslaughter because of what was mentioned above.

4. The other punishments including 2 years of home confinement and 10 yrs probation. Dem ain't nuttin to sneeze at.

5. Another issue about current punishments in general: The economy sucks. Many local/state governments are broke. It costs alot more money to keep someone in jail than it does to put them on house arrest and there isn't alot of money to go around. Some states have considered taking the death penalty off the table because the appeals cost the government so much money in comparison to simply life in prison. I'm not taking a side on the issue. I'm just pointing out that the issue exists.

As for Marshall, why does anyone think that Denver would trade him here anyway even if we offered the best deal? I just think that the thought of watching Cutler to Marshall highlights on ESPN every Sunday would make McDaniels' balls drop like flying over a peak on a rollercoaster at high speed. Sure he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but some things are just instinctual. If it were me, I'd pick the deal from a team with the hardest assed coach that made an offer just to keep Marshall from having an easy time succeeding.

Starting from the end, I don't think many here truly believe our trading for Marhsall is going to happen. Besides what you mention, which is legit, the simple truth is we have very little to offer. But you also have to admit the talk is inevitable.

Agreed on all the rest. Money may well be a partial issue, though I think it would have more to do w/ the time/money it would take to try a NFL player. Just ask the DA how much time they are having to spend on Burress, and that is essentially a slam dunk (evidence wise) case, as opposed to the Stallworth case which would require numerous experts (cha ching), as well as an accident recreation in order to prove the accident was avoidable if the driver was sober.

The key things IMHO about the Stallworth thing are:

1. He cooperated 100% throughout. He could have kept driving and they would have had zero proof that he was drunk at the time if he even called to report it the next morning. If he hadn't reported it, they might have never found him without someone getting his license plate. (CSI Miami is just a TV show folks btw)

2. He ALREADY completed a civil settlement with the family before the deal was made. - Geez, talk about taking responsibility.

3. It was a plea bargain and they probably couldn't have sustained the charge of DUI/Manslaughter because of what was mentioned above.

4. The other punishments including 2 years of home confinement and 10 yrs probation. Dem ain't nuttin to sneeze at.

5. Another issue about current punishments in general: The economy sucks. Many local/state governments are broke. It costs alot more money to keep someone in jail than it does to put them on house arrest and there isn't alot of money to go around. Some states have considered taking the death penalty off the table because the appeals cost the government so much money in comparison to simply life in prison. I'm not taking a side on the issue. I'm just pointing out that the issue exists.

As for Marshall, why does anyone think that Denver would trade him here anyway even if we offered the best deal? I just think that the thought of watching Cutler to Marshall highlights on ESPN every Sunday would make McDaniels' balls drop like flying over a peak on a rollercoaster at high speed. Sure he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but some things are just instinctual. If it were me, I'd pick the deal from a team with the hardest assed coach that made an offer just to keep Marshall from having an easy time succeeding.

Take a look at this link,

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/05/21/sta...ughter-charges/

While it doesn't say the pedestrian "ran" out into the street, it does mention his jaywalking (not using the cross walk) and discussed the Florida law which likely was a big key in Stallworth not getting a more severe punishment.

The guy just got off work, and immediately headed for the bus. He jaywalked, and I think it very logical to see how he was more concerned w/ catching the bus rather than traffic. Regardless, per the report, Stallworth tried to warn the pedestrian prior to the accident. From other reports I read, due to traffic and such, Stallworth didn't have much room to avoid a person who runs out into the street in front of him.

At the end of the day, Stallworth should not have been driving, and has been punished, but there were numerous factors which helped him avoid a far more severe punishment.