Three controversal WRs we have talked about

nfoligno

We, as fans, are always looking for that one player who will put us over the top. Among the many positions we have discussed, WRs often come up. Three WRs who have generated a lot of discussion are TO, Burress and Marshall. TO is out of the picture, but I am still keeping him in this question for the hell of it. Considering each, who is the WR you would most want.

TO - Pure locker room cancer. Some have golf or hunting as a hobby, but TO's hobby is throwing his QB (and often coach) under the bus. He simply has a way on ruining chemistry in the locker room. On the other hand, he also has a way of simply dominating on the field. While many will point to his number of drops, all you have to do is look at how defenses roll coverage to his side to note how his game is respected. Further, while he may have few peers when it comes to killing locker rooms, he doesn't appear to run afoul w/ the law. He has serious character flaws, but does seem to stay on the right side of the law.

Burress - He is a talent, no question, though I personally think he would be 3rd behind TO and Marshall in terms of pure talent. Regardless, he is still awesome on the field. He too has serious character flaws, and seems to get under the skin of coaches, but at the same time, players often seem to stick up for him. He hacks off the bosses, but the co-workers still like him. He is in a current legal battle, but all other legal issues (that I know of) are of the minor/traffic sort.

Marshall - W/o question, he youngest, and IMHO, most talented (current) of the group. Size/ speed/ total package. I really have not heard a ton of talk of his being a locker room cancer. But while TO and Burress have minor, if any, legal issues, Marshall seems like a jail house dog. He has been involved in numerous allegations of domestic violence and battery against two different girl friends. He has a fairly recent DWI. In college, he was arrested for assauling an officer and resisting arrest. He was part of the group which instigated a fight at a nightclub, the result of which saw the death of a Denver Bronco player. Also read where the police were called to his house like 11 times for domestic issues. He seems like the opposite of TO. While TO is a pure locker room cancer, but actually stays within the law, Marshall doesn't seem to create ripples in the locker room, but also doesn't seem capable of avoid actual legal troubles.

I think it relevant, as we have talked about TO quite a bit, and are currently talking about the other two. There is recent talk of Marshall wanting out of Denver, and w/ his history w/ Cutler, the trade rumors are inevitable. Personally, I want no part of Marshall. I can deal w/ a player like Burress, who comes w/ baggage, no question, but the legal aspect of the baggage is minor, and it means something to me that players still stick up for him. But Marshall seems as likely as not to be the next NFL player to do jail time. He doesn't just have one or two pasts issues, nor were his issues minor. He likes to beat on women, and doesn't seem to have the ability to think before he acts. I realize how talented he is, but when you also factor (a) we would have to give up picks/players to trade for him and (B) he would be due a large, multi-year contract, I just can't see his being a solid choice. TO is gone, and not a player I ever wanted. Burress is not a player I love the idea of getting, but have warmed to it. He still seems stupid as hell to me, but is talented, would likely only get a 1 year deal, and is still liked by his teamates.

But when looking at the 3, the one I would least want is Marshall. It's one thing to say we don't want all choir boys, and another to say we want habitual criminals.

I think you're just putting TO in there so you can marvel at your own writing! ;)

I think putting up Matt Jones would have added more value to the discussion. Since he is out there and had has his share of off-field issues.

I do agree w/ your assessment. If I had to choose between Burress or Marshall, I'd take Burress. I think his time here would be limited and by then, I'd hope one of our younger guys would be ready to be an all pro. Marshall has the greater up-side and longevity, but I just get the feeling, I think like you do, that he is a douchebag. (No offense to douche bags...) He seems like a bad seed. Now, if you said, would you take Marshall or nothing...I'd take marshall and hope that maybe he has matured. Although, I just have a general issue w/ d-heads that insist on hitting women.

In all honesty, I think Matt Jones is the best one to take a chance on. He'll serve no suspention, no potential jail time, and his crime was a personal one where he was his own victim. I'm sure he's not the first NFL player to get caught w/ blow. The cops now bust these guys instead of whisking them off and asking for signed jerseys once they drop them off at home.

We, as fans, are always looking for that one player who will put us over the top. Among the many positions we have discussed, WRs often come up. Three WRs who have generated a lot of discussion are TO, Burress and Marshall. TO is out of the picture, but I am still keeping him in this question for the hell of it. Considering each, who is the WR you would most want.

TO - Pure locker room cancer. Some have golf or hunting as a hobby, but TO's hobby is throwing his QB (and often coach) under the bus. He simply has a way on ruining chemistry in the locker room. On the other hand, he also has a way of simply dominating on the field. While many will point to his number of drops, all you have to do is look at how defenses roll coverage to his side to note how his game is respected. Further, while he may have few peers when it comes to killing locker rooms, he doesn't appear to run afoul w/ the law. He has serious character flaws, but does seem to stay on the right side of the law.

Burress - He is a talent, no question, though I personally think he would be 3rd behind TO and Marshall in terms of pure talent. Regardless, he is still awesome on the field. He too has serious character flaws, and seems to get under the skin of coaches, but at the same time, players often seem to stick up for him. He hacks off the bosses, but the co-workers still like him. He is in a current legal battle, but all other legal issues (that I know of) are of the minor/traffic sort.

Marshall - W/o question, he youngest, and IMHO, most talented (current) of the group. Size/ speed/ total package. I really have not heard a ton of talk of his being a locker room cancer. But while TO and Burress have minor, if any, legal issues, Marshall seems like a jail house dog. He has been involved in numerous allegations of domestic violence and battery against two different girl friends. He has a fairly recent DWI. In college, he was arrested for assauling an officer and resisting arrest. He was part of the group which instigated a fight at a nightclub, the result of which saw the death of a Denver Bronco player. Also read where the police were called to his house like 11 times for domestic issues. He seems like the opposite of TO. While TO is a pure locker room cancer, but actually stays within the law, Marshall doesn't seem to create ripples in the locker room, but also doesn't seem capable of avoid actual legal troubles.

I think it relevant, as we have talked about TO quite a bit, and are currently talking about the other two. There is recent talk of Marshall wanting out of Denver, and w/ his history w/ Cutler, the trade rumors are inevitable. Personally, I want no part of Marshall. I can deal w/ a player like Burress, who comes w/ baggage, no question, but the legal aspect of the baggage is minor, and it means something to me that players still stick up for him. But Marshall seems as likely as not to be the next NFL player to do jail time. He doesn't just have one or two pasts issues, nor were his issues minor. He likes to beat on women, and doesn't seem to have the ability to think before he acts. I realize how talented he is, but when you also factor (a) we would have to give up picks/players to trade for him and (B) he would be due a large, multi-year contract, I just can't see his being a solid choice. TO is gone, and not a player I ever wanted. Burress is not a player I love the idea of getting, but have warmed to it. He still seems stupid as hell to me, but is talented, would likely only get a 1 year deal, and is still liked by his teamates.

But when looking at the 3, the one I would least want is Marshall. It's one thing to say we don't want all choir boys, and another to say we want habitual criminals.

I think you're just putting TO in there so you can marvel at your own writing! ;)

I think putting up Matt Jones would have added more value to the discussion. Since he is out there and had has his share of off-field issues.

I do agree w/ your assessment. If I had to choose between Burress or Marshall, I'd take Burress. I think his time here would be limited and by then, I'd hope one of our younger guys would be ready to be an all pro. Marshall has the greater up-side and longevity, but I just get the feeling, I think like you do, that he is a douchebag. (No offense to douche bags...) He seems like a bad seed. Now, if you said, would you take Marshall or nothing...I'd take marshall and hope that maybe he has matured. Although, I just have a general issue w/ d-heads that insist on hitting women.

In all honesty, I think Matt Jones is the best one to take a chance on. He'll serve no suspention, no potential jail time, and his crime was a personal one where he was his own victim. I'm sure he's not the first NFL player to get caught w/ blow. The cops now bust these guys instead of whisking them off and asking for signed jerseys once they drop them off at home.

Mad L I'm with you on Matt Jones and it will cost you nothing in return. The one thing Nfo left out about Burress is that he doesn't do much practicing and that has been a issue with him throughout his career. There are too many guys on the Bears current roster now who habitually do not practice and I believe we don't need that when trying to create chemistry with a new QB and receiving corp.BTW the courts just refused to overturn Chicago's hand gun ban so that would basically make it difficult for Plaxico to enjoy any night life in the Chi since he thinks he needs a gun with him to enjoy himself.

As for Marshall history tells me that the McCaskeys would veto a domestic abuse offender with Paul Grasmanis being the one publicized case from Bears history being shown the door after he hit his girlfriend in a domestic dispute. I could put up with publicity hungry media darlings but a woman beater is just as bad as a dog fighter IMO.

Mad L I'm with you on Matt Jones and it will cost you nothing in return. The one thing Nfo left out about Burress is that he doesn't do much practicing and that has been a issue with him throughout his career. There are too many guys on the Bears current roster now who habitually do not practice and I believe we don't need that when trying to create chemistry with a new QB and receiving corp.BTW the courts just refused to overturn Chicago's hand gun ban so that would basically make it difficult for Plaxico to enjoy any night life in the Chi since he thinks he needs a gun with him to enjoy himself.

As for Marshall history tells me that the McCaskeys would veto a domestic abuse offender with Paul Grasmanis being the one publicized case from Bears history being shown the door after he hit his girlfriend in a domestic dispute. I could put up with publicity hungry media darlings but a woman beater is just as bad as a dog fighter IMO.

Agreed Lemone. Not to mention, from what ESPN is saying, Plaxico will likely be able to play this year, but after that, he'll spend some time behind bars. JA has been great about bringing in guys who make an impact for the present and the future. Plax would be one and done.

Lets get Jones.

I didn't mention Jones because he isn't remotely an elite WR, which is more what I was trying to touch on. Elite WRs w/ issues. Jones is FAR from elite. Hell, even w/o the character flaws, many question if he is any good.

Your right, that he doesn't practice a ton. At the same time, it doesn't seem like that matters as much to teamates as it does us. His own teamates still really like him and wanted him back. Also, you have to believe our players know the shit he pulls, and yet they seem to want him.

I am still not sure I would want him. I just think his transgressions seem less than either TO or Marshall. His only legit legal issues is a joke in most areas other than NY. Not excusing what he did, but just saying it isn't that bad compared to many others, and not even close when compared to Marshall. And as for locker room, it seems w/o question he is not the problem child (w/ other players) that TO is.

TO's killed too many locker rooms to be considered longer than a year. Marshall is a thug, in the mold of Pac-Man and Chris Henry. Plax is a lazy dumbass.

All three are supremely talented and perform on Sunday. I'll take the lazy dumbass as the lesser of the evils. My order would be Plax, Marshall and T.O.

TO's killed too many locker rooms to be considered longer than a year. Marshall is a thug, in the mold of Pac-Man and Chris Henry. Plax is a lazy dumbass.

All three are supremely talented and perform on Sunday. I'll take the lazy dumbass as the lesser of the evils. My order would be Plax, Marshall and T.O.

Agreed. Plax is the only one I would even consider and I do not want him. At this point, I want to see what Cutler can do with our young receivers.

Peace :dabears

Plax is only going to play for the one season, at the most. Marshall could easily play at a high level for the next 5 or 6 years. So that makes Plax a lot less attractive for a team with a lot of young building blocks on offense, like the Bears have. At the same time, you'd only be taking on Plax's off-the-field problems for a single season, which is a lot more attractive than 5 or 6 years of dealing with Brandon Marshall's ever-growing rap sheet.

If I'm choosing between the two, I'd have to take Plax, if only because Marshall's track record is so distasteful to me personally. But really, I'd like to see what we have in our current group of receivers. If Bennett/Knox/Iglesias really don't pan out this season, maybe we draft Arrelious Benn in 2010 or wait two years and draft Julio Jones. But for right now, I'd like to see what we have.

Plax is only going to play for the one season, at the most. Marshall could easily play at a high level for the next 5 or 6 years. So that makes Plax a lot less attractive for a team with a lot of young building blocks on offense, like the Bears have. At the same time, you'd only be taking on Plax's off-the-field problems for a single season, which is a lot more attractive than 5 or 6 years of dealing with Brandon Marshall's ever-growing rap sheet.

If I'm choosing between the two, I'd have to take Plax, if only because Marshall's track record is so distasteful to me personally. But really, I'd like to see what we have in our current group of receivers. If Bennett/Knox/Iglesias really don't pan out this season, maybe we draft Arrelious Benn in 2010 or wait two years and draft Julio Jones. But for right now, I'd like to see what we have.

I too would like to develope our young WRs but we are poised to go back to the Super Bowl and Plax would get us closer to it than our young wideouts. Give him a one year incentive laden deal and we still have room to develope some talent. We are so close to a run at the SB lets go for it now.

For the record, and I did not make this clear, but the intent was more a theoretical question than practical. At this point, I too would just as soon prefer to simply go w/ what we have. If Boston were to be available for less than reported, or something else solid came along, fine, but I like the young WRs we have. Further, while we usually need stud WRs to support our QB, we now have a stud WR who can support our WRs.

No, the point of the question was more theoretical. It struck me that, in this offseason, we have discussed 3 very controversial stud WRs. Further, in thinking about the 3, each are controversial for different reasons. TO is a cancer w/ players, but stays w/in the law. Burress is a cancer w/ coaches, but not so much w/ players, and has only a small level legal issues. Marshall doesn't seem to have the bad history w/ coaches or players, but can't seem to stay on the right side of the law. So, as all three WRs are studs, and yet controversial for different reasons, I just thought it curious to know what the "lesser of evil" order most would have.

For the record, and I did not make this clear, but the intent was more a theoretical question than practical. At this point, I too would just as soon prefer to simply go w/ what we have. If Boston were to be available for less than reported, or something else solid came along, fine, but I like the young WRs we have. Further, while we usually need stud WRs to support our QB, we now have a stud WR who can support our WRs.

No, the point of the question was more theoretical. It struck me that, in this offseason, we have discussed 3 very controversial stud WRs. Further, in thinking about the 3, each are controversial for different reasons. TO is a cancer w/ players, but stays w/in the law. Burress is a cancer w/ coaches, but not so much w/ players, and has only a small level legal issues. Marshall doesn't seem to have the bad history w/ coaches or players, but can't seem to stay on the right side of the law. So, as all three WRs are studs, and yet controversial for different reasons, I just thought it curious to know what the "lesser of evil" order most would have.

Well, Plax's legal problems aren't THAT minimal, but in my book he'd still be the most desirable of the three. If Brandon Marshall the player weren't Brandon Marshall the person, he'd be number one with a bullet.

I'm on the fence about making a play for Boldin. If he were to become available for a 2nd-rounder, I might be in favor of it. Then again, it's hard to evaluate how he'd do with the Bears. He looks great in Arizona's receiver-friendly spread offense where teams have to double-cover Larry Fitz all day long, but how's he going to look when he's the main receiving threat on a team that runs the ball first?

I'm not saying that Boldin wouldn't be a major upgrade to our receiving corps. He'd be a proven target for Cutler, which none of our current receivers really are. I'm sure he'd be good for at least 70, maybe 80 receptions. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him dip under 1000 yards in Chicago's offense. And is it really worth a second-round pick to get a guy who turns 29 this year and puts up 800-900 yards a season?

Honestly, there are very few big-name wideouts (of the ones who're actually available) that I'd be in favor of giving up a high draft pick for. Braylon Edwards might be the exception, but it looks like the Browns are going to hold onto him after all. If they started shopping him, though, the Bears would have to make it happen. Cutler throwing to Edwards and Hester would give us a lot of big plays for the next 6, 7, maybe 8 years.

I follow.

I thought you were looking at semi-viable options...

I didn't mention Jones because he isn't remotely an elite WR, which is more what I was trying to touch on. Elite WRs w/ issues. Jones is FAR from elite. Hell, even w/o the character flaws, many question if he is any good.

I don't mean to trivialize what Burress did, but when you are talking about something that would not even be a crime in many states, or a slap on the wrist in most, then I do question how GREAT of a crime it is. For example, Marshall beating on women would be considered serious in any state, while carrying a firearm would not even be against the law here in Texas. That is not to excuse him, but only to point out his legal trangression is simply not nearly as great as what so many other NFL players seem to go through.

While adding a veteran stud seems great, and would be, at the same time, I simply wonder if we are not best off simply allowing Cutler an opportunity to potentially make a stud from what we have. We may well have a stud to be in Hester, Knox or the others. For a change, we have a QB who can elevate the play of the WRs on the roster, rather than needing to add WRs capable of elevating the play of the QB. We have a slew of young WRs w/ talent, and a stud QB. Lets see what we have.

Well, Plax's legal problems aren't THAT minimal, but in my book he'd still be the most desirable of the three. If Brandon Marshall the player weren't Brandon Marshall the person, he'd be number one with a bullet.

I'm on the fence about making a play for Boldin. If he were to become available for a 2nd-rounder, I might be in favor of it. Then again, it's hard to evaluate how he'd do with the Bears. He looks great in Arizona's receiver-friendly spread offense where teams have to double-cover Larry Fitz all day long, but how's he going to look when he's the main receiving threat on a team that runs the ball first?

I'm not saying that Boldin wouldn't be a major upgrade to our receiving corps. He'd be a proven target for Cutler, which none of our current receivers really are. I'm sure he'd be good for at least 70, maybe 80 receptions. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him dip under 1000 yards in Chicago's offense. And is it really worth a second-round pick to get a guy who turns 29 this year and puts up 800-900 yards a season?

Honestly, there are very few big-name wideouts (of the ones who're actually available) that I'd be in favor of giving up a high draft pick for. Braylon Edwards might be the exception, but it looks like the Browns are going to hold onto him after all. If they started shopping him, though, the Bears would have to make it happen. Cutler throwing to Edwards and Hester would give us a lot of big plays for the next 6, 7, maybe 8 years.

While adding a veteran stud seems great, and would be, at the same time, I simply wonder if we are not best off simply allowing Cutler an opportunity to potentially make a stud from what we have. We may well have a stud to be in Hester, Knox or the others. For a change, we have a QB who can elevate the play of the WRs on the roster, rather than needing to add WRs capable of elevating the play of the QB. We have a slew of young WRs w/ talent, and a stud QB. Lets see what we have.

I'd tend to agree. We have Devin Hester, who's still on the rise, and then four very promising young receivers who haven't had a chance to show us what they can do yet (five if you count Rideau.) At this point, I'd like to see the Bears take the shotgun approach to that #2 receiver spot: throw as many guys as possible at it and hope that you get a hit or two. Between Bennett, Iglesias, Knox, Kinder, and Rideau there has to be one receiver who can step up and contribute.

As far as acquiring a veteran via trade or FA, the main thing I'd be looking for is a young guy. To justify giving our young receivers less of a shot, in my mind, would take another young receiver who's proven what he can do. That's why I mentioned Braylon Edwards: he's only 26, and he showed in 2007 that he can be a #1 receiver. If we could get a guy like that, I could understand shortchanging Bennett and company. If it's going to be Plax on a one-year deal or Boldin for a couple of years before he really goes downhill, I don't think that's worth it.

Your right, that he doesn't practice a ton. At the same time, it doesn't seem like that matters as much to teamates as it does us. His own teamates still really like him and wanted him back. Also, you have to believe our players know the shit he pulls, and yet they seem to want him.

I am still not sure I would want him. I just think his transgressions seem less than either TO or Marshall. His only legit legal issues is a joke in most areas other than NY. Not excusing what he did, but just saying it isn't that bad compared to many others, and not even close when compared to Marshall. And as for locker room, it seems w/o question he is not the problem child (w/ other players) that TO is.

NFO you and I both are not sure we would add him to the team. Where we don't agree is about transgressions. Marshall is a habitual domestic abuse offender we agree about him. Buress has a gun charge against him that carries a mandatory minimum 3year sentence but he seems to be trying to plea that out and TO has never committed a crime and he is being grouped with these two because of how he is perceived in the lockerroom? TO is guilty of craving attention like a lot of WRs do. Have you been paying attention to Chad Johnson(I refues to call him the other name) latelry trying to let everyone who will listen know that he is working hard this offseason? I believe that he is in the same category as TO in terms of lockerroom termoil.

You are in Texas and I am in Illinois and there is a slight difference in gun laws here that have been in place for quite some time so of course you may think that what he did is not a bad thing in your neck of the woods but Tank Johnson can attest to what goes on here in Illinois. So if Plaxico came here to the Bears he would have to live by the gun laws here in Illinois and would be hard pressed to be a legal gun owner here given the fact that he will have a gun conviction on his record. With all this being said none of these WRs should be desirable candidates to be acquired by the Bears.

One. I put TO in the same category in the general sense that he is an elite WR that comes w/ serious baggage. It is simply a matter of the baggage being of a different color. I agree Chad Johnson would be in that category too (baggage) but I was referring to WRs considered available, which I have not heard CJ being lately.

Remember, I specifically said, numerous times, TO has kept on the right side of the law. The point of the whole discussion was essentially which type of WR is more/less desirable. One who has major legal issues. One who has major locker room cancer issues. Or one who has a little of both.

Two. Don't believe for one second that when it comes to gun laws, I take a particular stance living in a place like Texas. I would actually be considered a bleeding heart liberal by most in that area. My point is simply that, when talking about an individual breaking laws, I put more weight on laws which are solid accross the country, rather than laws which very greatly. Not arguing he broke the law, or that what he did wasn't wrong. My point is simply that breaking a gun law is not as bad as beating a women.

I am not a Burress fan. At the same time, in looking a bit more at his two "baggage issues".

Legal - He doesn't have a history of breaking the law, and the one criminal offense would not even be a crime in many states. That isn't to remove guilt, but in looking at a player's future liklihood of staying w/in the law, I think it does help. Yes, Illinois has serious gun laws too (just ask Tank) but w/o a more significant criminal history, does this one offense really mean he is a guy you expect to break the law again.

Locker room cancer - While this is the perception, the number of players that come to his defense speaks to the opposite. He has had trouble w/ coaches, but I am not sure he can be considered a locker room cancer when the players all like him and stick up for him.

Understand. I am not a Burruss supporter. I have warmed to him some over the last month, but considering I was pretty much ice cold on him, that is only relative. Personally, and I have said this before, I would just as soon go w/ the young players we have, and see if any of them can develop into the stud we all want. If Orton was our QB, I might be more prone to taking more risk w/ on a WR w/ some baggage, but w/ a QB like Cutler, I think our best course may be to simply give him, and the young WRs an opportunity to develop together.

NFO you and I both are not sure we would add him to the team. Where we don't agree is about transgressions. Marshall is a habitual domestic abuse offender we agree about him. Buress has a gun charge against him that carries a mandatory minimum 3year sentence but he seems to be trying to plea that out and TO has never committed a crime and he is being grouped with these two because of how he is perceived in the lockerroom? TO is guilty of craving attention like a lot of WRs do. Have you been paying attention to Chad Johnson(I refues to call him the other name) latelry trying to let everyone who will listen know that he is working hard this offseason? I believe that he is in the same category as TO in terms of lockerroom termoil.

You are in Texas and I am in Illinois and there is a slight difference in gun laws here that have been in place for quite some time so of course you may think that what he did is not a bad thing in your neck of the woods but Tank Johnson can attest to what goes on here in Illinois. So if Plaxico came here to the Bears he would have to live by the gun laws here in Illinois and would be hard pressed to be a legal gun owner here given the fact that he will have a gun conviction on his record. With all this being said none of these WRs should be desirable candidates to be acquired by the Bears.