Cutler need one of the two he has called!

Wesson44

Bears | Cutler has spoken with Marshall

Comment (0)

Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:56:25 -0700

Marty O'Brien, of The Newport News Daily Press, reports Chicago Bears QB Jay Cutler said he has spoken with disgruntled Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall and would not have a problem reuniting with Marshall if the Bears were able to land him. "I talked to 'B' a few days ago. Just checking in on him and seeing how he's doing, because I went through a similar thing that he's going through," Cutler said. "I played with Brandon for three years and I think he's one of the best receivers in the NFL. I think he can be one of the greatest ever to play. He's big and fast, and can do everything you want him to do, on the field and in the meeting room. I don't know what we're going to do. That's up to the guys upstairs. If we make a run at him, we make a run at him."

We don't have the ammo to get Marshall unless the Broncos are willing to take players instead of picks which I don't see happening. As previously stated. I am all for moving forward as is.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. We spent a good chunk for Cutler. I think we can do well with the WRs we've got now, and, if need be, get someone later who gets cut in TC. But let's not mortgage the future for one WR that may just end up being more trouble than he's worth.

Agreed. We spent a good chunk for Cutler. I think we can do well with the WRs we've got now, and, if need be, get someone later who gets cut in TC. But let's not mortgage the future for one WR that may just end up being more trouble than he's worth.

Agreed and agreed. My guess is that with Orton, Eddie Royal goes for 300 yards this year. Just a hunch.

Agreed and agreed. My guess is that with Orton, Eddie Royal goes for 300 yards this year. Just a hunch.

Marshall and Royal will be interesting to watch. A lot of the Chicago press keep pointing to those two as evidence that Cutler makes his receivers successful; I don't buy it yet. There's only one year of tape on Marshall without Cutler, and that's his rookie year, which hardly counts. There's no tape of Royal in the pros without Cutler, so it's very hard to say that Cutler made him successful. I will say this: Royal caught over 70% of the passes thrown at him as a rookie, and that's not easy to do, no matter who your QB is.

I think both Marshall and Royal will take a step back this year, but I don't know that it'll be a huge one. Marshall should still be over 1,000 yards, and I think Royal should be in the 800-yard range. I think the main thing hurting them will be Orton's poor deep passing, but I don't think it'll be THAT detrimental. Both guys are major run-after-catch threats, and should be able to make up some yards after relatively short passes from Orton.

Marshall and Royal will be interesting to watch. A lot of the Chicago press keep pointing to those two as evidence that Cutler makes his receivers successful; I don't buy it yet. There's only one year of tape on Marshall without Cutler, and that's his rookie year, which hardly counts. There's no tape of Royal in the pros without Cutler, so it's very hard to say that Cutler made him successful. I will say this: Royal caught over 70% of the passes thrown at him as a rookie, and that's not easy to do, no matter who your QB is.

I think both Marshall and Royal will take a step back this year, but I don't know that it'll be a huge one. Marshall should still be over 1,000 yards, and I think Royal should be in the 800-yard range. I think the main thing hurting them will be Orton's poor deep passing, but I don't think it'll be THAT detrimental. Both guys are major run-after-catch threats, and should be able to make up some yards after relatively short passes from Orton.

They both are known for YAC - IF - they do not have to slow down, dive, jump, reach behind them, grab the ball off their shoe laces, etc... To get good YAC the QB (as I am sure everyone here knows) has to hit the WR in stride, allowing him to use his skills, and (as I am sure everyone here knows) that is something Orton did not do with regularity. It is something Cutler does very well.

I have always argued our WRs in the past could not be totally blamed for their performances. A WR has to have some confidence in the QB's ability to spot the open receiver and put the ball where it is suppose to be. If the WR has doubts in his mind it will effect his performance. Our WRs kept the company line and in the press always expressed confidence in our QBs but I am sure that was just to be a "team" player. M.M. after returning to Carolina was heavily criticized for the comments he made about Chicago. He may not have been far off in his evaluation IMO.

I guess the true test will be on the field this year. Does the numbers for Marshall & Royal drop significantly? Does the numbers for the Bear's WRs increase significantly? If there was ever a time to prove the theory that "The QB makes the Receiver" this is the ideal situation.

I guess the true test will be on the field this year. Does the numbers for Marshall & Royal drop significantly? Does the numbers for the Bear's WRs increase significantly? If there was ever a time to prove the theory that "The QB makes the Receiver" this is the ideal situation.

Yeah, we won't know what we have until we see it on the field this year. I think it'll be interesting, especially considering what an unknown the Bears' receivers are. Hester could really take a big step forward, considering that his major strength (his ability to get open deep) coincided with Orton's biggest weakness last season. I'm really hoping for a big year from Bennett. He just tore it up in the SEC, and he got thrown to all of ONE time in 2008. There's no way to know what he's capable of. I'm excited to see what happens this year.

I just don't see it happening.

I'll go one further. I just don't get it. They come out and say, "the commish has launched an investigation", in the last week. Does anyone aim to tell me, he doesn't already have the information he needs??? This garbage has been dragged out long enough. If the commish wants to take a tough stance, fine. But he should have been ready to do what he intended to do the day after Burress got his hearing postponed. He's jerking everyone around just to generate more publicity for his tough guy image. IMO - If Burress legal team would have known Goodell was going to break his pattern of discipline, in Burress case, they probably would have plead out by now so Plax could have at least played next year. In the meantime, Burress can't move on, fans can't move on and teams can't move on.

To clarify my statement about Goodell changing his pattern, his M.O. has been to wait for players to at least go through the court process before handing out punishment. Also, I'm all for a suspension whether it be now or after court.

Clouding the QB-WR issue is the fact that Orton and the entire Denver offense are learning a new system. Here in Chicago Cutler is learning a new system but the majority of his teammates are not. I think both offenses are designed to spread the ball around but where Orton will hurt Denver WR numbers is his lack of mobility and that will force him into more dump-off passes than Cutler. That takes away some of the big-gain opportunities you get on broken plays. The fact Marshall is not in Denver working out with Orton is not going to help matters either. It seems clear his discontentment with the organization is going to carry all the way into their training camp.

I saw the Eddie Royal interview as he headed into the rookie symposium. He was asked about Orton and stated the typical company line about how it's all going well as everyone learns a new offense but his facial expression showed that he isn't totally thrilled with the change.

I completely get your frustration.

So much of this, or many other issues for that matter, seems to get dragged on. However, I think that's just the way it is. I'm sure it's no different than me waiting our my home re-financing right now. It should be cut and dry, but I've got to wait it out.

For Burress, I think Goodell will lay the punishment sometime in July before camps start. I have no justification other than common sense. But we all know that common sense is rarely prevalent when dealing w/ legal issues...

I'll go one further. I just don't get it. They come out and say, "the commish has launched an investigation", in the last week. Does anyone aim to tell me, he doesn't already have the information he needs??? This garbage has been dragged out long enough. If the commish wants to take a tough stance, fine. But he should have been ready to do what he intended to do the day after Burress got his hearing postponed. He's jerking everyone around just to generate more publicity for his tough guy image. IMO - If Burress legal team would have known Goodell was going to break his pattern of discipline, in Burress case, they probably would have plead out by now so Plax could have at least played next year. In the meantime, Burress can't move on, fans can't move on and teams can't move on.

To clarify my statement about Goodell changing his pattern, his M.O. has been to wait for players to at least go through the court process before handing out punishment. Also, I'm all for a suspension whether it be now or after court.

If the commish wants to take a tough stance, fine. But he should have been ready to do what he intended to do the day after Burress got his hearing postponed. He's jerking everyone around just to generate more publicity for his tough guy image. IMO - If Burress legal team would have known Goodell was going to break his pattern of discipline, in Burress case, they probably would have plead out by now so Plax could have at least played next year. In the meantime, Burress can't move on, fans can't move on and teams can't move on.

Well, just to play devil's advocate, I think Goodell's probably acting preemptively because of Burress' legal team. Burress' lawyers are trying to exploit the fact that Goodell usually waits for a conviction. They've been pretty open about trying to get Burress' trial delayed long enough for him to play this season - that kind of implies that they're banking on Goodell having to wait until after the trial to issue a suspension. From Goodell's perspective, that probably looks like an end-run around league discipline in 2009.

I'm not trying to take Goodell's side, necessarily, I just think this move was pretty inevitable. Plax should have snapped up the plea deal over the summer, expressed regret to the commissioner, and taken his 4-game or 6-game suspension. This postponement strategy is a bad one.

I'm not trying to take Goodell's side, necessarily, I just think this move was pretty inevitable. Plax should have snapped up the plea deal over the summer, expressed regret to the commissioner, and taken his 4-game or 6-game suspension. This postponement strategy is a bad one.

I agree, Plax & his representatives thought they were going to put one past Goodell & play 2009 in its entirety. Now they have screwed themselves. I doubt if Plax will play a single down this year unless they change gears and get this resolved asap.

One more in the agreement box.

I think Goodell was planning to have the issue resolved by the season, one way or another, but didn't expect the games being played. As there seems to be no other reason for the delays but to (a) play this season and (B) avoid the legal issues until next year, Goodell is stepping (or may be) and basically saying, the courts and DAs may wait, but I will not.

I agree, Plax & his representatives thought they were going to put one past Goodell & play 2009 in its entirety. Now they have screwed themselves. I doubt if Plax will play a single down this year unless they change gears and get this resolved asap.

One more in the agreement box.

I think Goodell was planning to have the issue resolved by the season, one way or another, but didn't expect the games being played. As there seems to be no other reason for the delays but to (a) play this season and (B) avoid the legal issues until next year, Goodell is stepping (or may be) and basically saying, the courts and DAs may wait, but I will not.

I don't have a problem with players being automatically suspended for unresolved felonies that occured during the previous season.

Plax's main problem is that he wants to sign a contract before he resolves this. If he hadn't been such a douche, the Giants wouldn't have had to release him.

Now the Bears evidently have backed away from another troublesome player, all but ending their pursuit of free agent receiver Plaxico Burress. And Urlacher says he's not really surprised.

"I was surprised when I heard they were going after him at all because as a player, I [know there will be] some type of suspension," Urlacher said Thursday during a break at his football camp.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has yet to discipline Burress for unresolved weapons charges after Burress shot himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub. The Bears considered meeting with him but decided Burress' off-the-field baggage was too much to overlook.

"My first thought with [burress] was, would he even be able to play this year?" Urlacher said. "You have to wonder how long you're going to have him or when he's going to be available.

"[but] he's a great receiver [and] I would have been open to it."

The door appears to be closed now as the Bears seem content to enter the training camp with their roster as is.

Link. Lots of other good position/OTA updates as well.

I had also read this earlier. Good article. I hope Bowman continues to develop. He could be huge for us. I think Harrison will be a monster next to Harris. I think I am more excited to see the defense take over dominance as much as I am to see the "new" offense.

I had also read this earlier. Good article. I hope Bowman continues to develop. He could be huge for us. I think Harrison will be a monster next to Harris. I think I am more excited to see the defense take over dominance as much as I am to see the "new" offense.

I had no idea Bowman was all the way up to the 3rd corner position, that's awesome. I know the Bears' 3rd CB is more like the 4th CB on other teams, since Manning is entrenched at nickel back, but that's still great news for Bowman. I feel really good about him and DJ Moore from a talent perspective: if those two pan out and Bowman can stop getting injured, we'll be set at corner for a long, long time.

I had no idea Bowman was all the way up to the 3rd corner position, that's awesome. I know the Bears' 3rd CB is more like the 4th CB on other teams, since Manning is entrenched at nickel back, but that's still great news for Bowman. I feel really good about him and DJ Moore from a talent perspective: if those two pan out and Bowman can stop getting injured, we'll be set at corner for a long, long time.

Bowman actaually showed in the only game he played last year that he could make a play and the fact that Corey Graham was moved to another position opened up an opportunity for him. He still has leap frogged McBride and Hamilton.

I hope the best w/ Bowman, but I am not sure we should read too much into this. Leap frogging Hamilton doesn't mean much. Leaping McBride seemed a bigger deal a year ago (for Graham) than it does today. Both McBride and Hamilton are bubble players at this point. Then there's DJ Moore, but I don't think he has been really factored as of yet.

Its great that he is looking good, but honestly, saying he is our #3 CB right now is a tad deceptive due to (a) the rookie w/ high expectations not yet having really been factored and (B) that depth ranking does not factor our nickel DB.

Bowman actaually showed in the only game he played last year that he could make a play and the fact that Corey Graham was moved to another position opened up an opportunity for him. He still has leap frogged McBride and Hamilton.

I hope the best w/ Bowman, but I am not sure we should read too much into this. Leap frogging Hamilton doesn't mean much. Leaping McBride seemed a bigger deal a year ago (for Graham) than it does today. Both McBride and Hamilton are bubble players at this point. Then there's DJ Moore, but I don't think he has been really factored as of yet.

Its great that he is looking good, but honestly, saying he is our #3 CB right now is a tad deceptive due to (a) the rookie w/ high expectations not yet having really been factored and (B) that depth ranking does not factor our nickel DB.

I think it's pretty awesome that he's ahead of McBride, to be honest. McBride has been a very competent backup/dime back in his time here, and I get the sense that the coaching staff likes him a lot. I know our depth chart doesn't include the nickel, since Manning is still listed as a safety, but here's one other thing: if Tillman or Vasher goes down, there's no way they're moving Manning out to corner. That means Bowman would be first in line for playing time if one of the starters gets hurt.

Honestly, I just am not so sure the staff is that high on McBride. We went w/ him his rookie season out of need. Even then, I didn't feel the staff we sold on him, as most reports I recall continued to talk about Graham, who the staff simply seemed far higher on, and we now know w/ good reason. Last year, McBride really seemed to fall on the depth chart, and I just am not sure the staff is so high on him.

I am not trying to take away from Bowman, and if he enters the year as our primary backup CB, he gets credit for that. Personally, I think Moore stands a very good chance to over-take Bowman before the season begins.

Also, if Tillman or Vasher go down early, and assuming Graham is not our starting FS, it would not surprise me to see him moved back.

I think it's pretty awesome that he's ahead of McBride, to be honest. McBride has been a very competent backup/dime back in his time here, and I get the sense that the coaching staff likes him a lot. I know our depth chart doesn't include the nickel, since Manning is still listed as a safety, but here's one other thing: if Tillman or Vasher goes down, there's no way they're moving Manning out to corner. That means Bowman would be first in line for playing time if one of the starters gets hurt.