Vikes pursuing Marvin Harrison

adam

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=145487

According to Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, there is "buzz" that the Vikings are pursuing free agent Marvin Harrison.

Walters essentially writes a gossip column and puts this under the heading "Don't Print This," so it obviously has to be taken with a grain of salt. He says Marvin would get "a one-year, low-end deal" to compete with Sidney Rice at flanker. The signing would make a lot of sense, but it isn't a reliable source.

Damn, I would take a flyer on a one-year low-end deal for Harrison in a heartbeat.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=145487

Damn, I would take a flyer on a one-year low-end deal for Harrison in a heartbeat.

According to a couple of Minnesota fans I've talked to, Charley Walters basically just makes his stories up. He doesn't reveal any primary sources for the "buzz" he's referring to, and every other news outlet that picked up the story just used Walters as their source. According to Rotoworld, "Walters essentially writes a gossip column" and "isn't a reliable source."

I'd definitely bring Harrison in on a no-risk contract where we could cut him before the season, if need be. He looked like a shell of his former self last season, and I wonder if his knee problems finally got the better of him. That said, if it turns out he can still play at a high level, why not at least bring him into camp?

According to a couple of Minnesota fans I've talked to, Charley Walters basically just makes his stories up. He doesn't reveal any primary sources for the "buzz" he's referring to, and every other news outlet that picked up the story just used Walters as their source. According to Rotoworld, "Walters essentially writes a gossip column" and "isn't a reliable source."

I'd definitely bring Harrison in on a no-risk contract where we could cut him before the season, if need be. He looked like a shell of his former self last season, and I wonder if his knee problems finally got the better of him. That said, if it turns out he can still play at a high level, why not at least bring him into camp?

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt, but I would have no issue picking him up.

I was all for adding Harrison, but at some point, don't we have to ask why no one has shown Harrison interest. I mean, it isn't just that he is still available, but I don't recall anyone really even showing interest. It was hard to tell whether he was a FA or if he retired.

For me, it is sort of like the Simeon Rice thing. Rice talks about playing, and is such a name that many fans immediatly talk about adding him to the team. But someones a name is just that, and the play you associate w/ the name is simply gone.

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt, but I would have no issue picking him up.

I was all for adding Harrison, but at some point, don't we have to ask why no one has shown Harrison interest. I mean, it isn't just that he is still available, but I don't recall anyone really even showing interest. It was hard to tell whether he was a FA or if he retired.

For me, it is sort of like the Simeon Rice thing. Rice talks about playing, and is such a name that many fans immediatly talk about adding him to the team. But someones a name is just that, and the play you associate w/ the name is simply gone.

There are several things detracting teams from signing Harrison.

1st and foremost. He could have stayed with the Colts with a pay cut he declined to accept. He has a higher value of himself than the market does.

2nd - His skills have clearly eroded. Manning couldn't count on him to make plays last year.

3rd - He's become moody and distant from his team. You can see him sitting by himself during games.

Lasly, he's not a big guy so he doesn't have the body to compensate for lack of speed or suddenness.

I agree, when a guys been hanging around this long it means nobody has much interest beyond what perhaps is a minimal contract. There are enough teams in the league with WR issues that if they felt he was the answer they'd have gone his direction. There is no way that any FA wants to be a FA at this point in the off-season. All teams have budgeted their money on the FAs they signed and are now worried about signing their rookies. On top of that, if you wanted Harrison at all you'd have wanted him in your OTA's. Now he'll be hoping someone decides they don't like their rookies or someone gets hurt early in camp.

That the Vikings might be interested tells me there are some concerns about their WR corps. Even if it's just fan rumors off a message board like ours I still find it telling. From my perspective the Booker experience last year just further solidified JA against bringing in a vet FA WR at the end of his career. That stopgap approach didn't help Bennett at all. If guys like Knox and Iglesias have any potential we need them to get reps with Cutler now so they can improve by the end of the season and definitely be solid in year two with him. No need to delay things IMO so if we're to add a FA WR it's going to be someone we know can contribute for years, or in Burress' case is an unquestioned starter on a one year deal.

I agree, when a guys been hanging around this long it means nobody has much interest beyond what perhaps is a minimal contract. There are enough teams in the league with WR issues that if they felt he was the answer they'd have gone his direction. There is no way that any FA wants to be a FA at this point in the off-season. All teams have budgeted their money on the FAs they signed and are now worried about signing their rookies. On top of that, if you wanted Harrison at all you'd have wanted him in your OTA's. Now he'll be hoping someone decides they don't like their rookies or someone gets hurt early in camp.

That the Vikings might be interested tells me there are some concerns about their WR corps. Even if it's just fan rumors off a message board like ours I still find it telling. From my perspective the Booker experience last year just further solidified JA against bringing in a vet FA WR at the end of his career. That stopgap approach didn't help Bennett at all. If guys like Knox and Iglesias have any potential we need them to get reps with Cutler now so they can improve by the end of the season and definitely be solid in year two with him. No need to delay things IMO so if we're to add a FA WR it's going to be someone we know can contribute for years, or in Burress' case is an unquestioned starter on a one year deal.

Agree I would much rather see our young guns at WR.