Marcus Harrison Placed on Injury List

bradjock

Due to being out of shape. As per the Sun Times. No kidding.

The SCORE said he appeared to be pushing 400 lbs. They might be exaggerating, but either way, how can a 2nd year pro athlete not stay in shape? Unbelievable.

Lets hope Dusty can stay healthy.

Guest TerraTor
Due to being out of shape. As per the Sun Times. No kidding.

The SCORE said he appeared to be pushing 400 lbs. They might be exaggerating, but either way, how can a 2nd year pro athlete not stay in shape? Unbelievable.

Lets hope Dusty can stay healthy.

Haha, he weighed 323.

Yes.

Adams seems to take it seriously, but as it isn't the coach's "ideal DT", he gets no respect and only gets an opportunity when others are injured or fail.

Dusty takes it very serious, works his arce off, but simply isn't nearly as talented and can't stay healthy.

He came in 15 pounds over weight. Is there any DT on this team that takes football seriously??

He aprticipated in the off season program. I guess I'm just curious to see why this isn't monitored / noticed in June / early July??

I am going to GUESS that he might have been even heavier in OTAs and was told to get down to ### pounds before reporting July 31st or he would be placed on the back burner until he met his weight requirement. I hope this guy wakes up, I was looking forward to his continued development this year under Marinelli.

He aprticipated in the off season program. I guess I'm just curious to see why this isn't monitored / noticed in June / early July??

Just curious how do you know it wasn't monitored or noticed? Are we expecting the coaches to go public with every discipline problem? It seems clear he had a target weight and he admitted as much therefore someone was talking to him. There weren't any positive comments about Harrison, or at least very few and IIRC there were some questions about his work ethic being less than needed.

Just curious how do you know it wasn't monitored or noticed? Are we expecting the coaches to go public with every discipline problem? It seems clear he had a target weight and he admitted as much therefore someone was talking to him. There weren't any positive comments about Harrison, or at least very few and IIRC there were some questions about his work ethic being less than needed.

Oh, I don't know. Just venting frustration with Harrison's lack of work ethic and wondering how he wasn't motivated to do better. I do place some of that on the staff, given all the changes that were made.

Not sure I agree w/ this. The staff can only do so much.

It really seems like the staff told him to be at X weight, w/ X body fat, but the time he showed up for camp. The way they talk, I get the impression they knew where he was (weight) in prior practices, and told him he had until camp to get the weight down and in shape "or else". He didn't get it done, and the "or else" is he missed part of camp, and frankly, has really hurt his shot at starting.

But honestly, what more can the staff do in the offseason. I don't think they can fine him for not being at a certain weight in the offseason, when even most practices are voluntary. They can't make it mandatory he shows up to the gym everyday, much less at their gym w/ their trainers.

The reality is, the staff can only do so much in the offseason as they just do not have the power to force players. The facility is open all day, and from what I can gather, Rusty Jones and others are on hand working w/ the players on a daily basis, but it is still up to the players to take it from there.

At some point I think we have to realize the players are adults, and you can hold their hands only so much. Harrison had more than enough opportunities and resources to keep himself in great shape. He had (IMHO) the threat of the staff over his head as to what would happen if he showed up out of shape. If that isn't enough to keep the fat off, then no amount of hand holding (supervision) by the staff is going to get it done.

Oh, I don't know. Just venting frustration with Harrison's lack of work ethic and wondering how he wasn't motivated to do better. I do place some of that on the staff, given all the changes that were made.

Haha, he weighed 323.

Yeah, exactly. He weighed in at 323, and his listed weight is variously reported as 309 or 312. He only needs to drop 11-14 pounds...for a guy his size, that's not much. Look at what Mike Williams on the Redskins has done. Back in January, he was at least 450 pounds. When the Skins signed him at the end of April, he weighed 404. As of last week, he was down to 342. Williams lost over a hundred pounds in seven months - there's no reason in the world why Harrison can't lose 10 or 12.

As far as a reason, Harrison had his knee scoped between OTAs and training camp, and that apparently hurt his conditioning regimen. Also, Harrison referred to some family problems he's been dealing with; I don't know what effect that would have had, if any. In any case, the guy just needs to get his conditioning back up, lose a dozen pounds, and get back on the field.

If anything, I'm glad that they failed him on his physical and put him on the NFI list. Last season, it seemed like a lot of guys made it through camp with suspect conditioning and then were showing it on the field during games. Harrison should have no problem getting back to his playing weight in pretty short order, and the NFI thing sends the message that the coaching staff is serious about conditioning and commitment.

I am not sure it is "just" about his weight. I thought I read where one of the coaches mentioned his body fat. It is very possible to have your weight in a target area, but not your body fat.

I get the sense weight is what we are hearing about the most, but I also get the impression it is more than just that. I read he simply looks fat and out of shape. It may not be difficult to drop 10-15 lbs. Hell, at that weight, you can likely drop that is water weight alone. I think it is more than simply what the scale reads though. I get the impression he is flat out, out of shape. Further, I get the impression it is something the staff discussed w/ him prior to camp.

For me, this is a legit concern. Here is a young player who has a legit shot at the starting lineup. I would expect such a player to be hungry for a big role in the defense, rather than hungry for another double cheese burger. Every DL I have read about thus far seems to have truly committed themselves w/ Marinelli stepping in. I am not sure Harrison has committed himself the same way.

Yeah, exactly. He weighed in at 323, and his listed weight is variously reported as 309 or 312. He only needs to drop 11-14 pounds...for a guy his size, that's not much. Look at what Mike Williams on the Redskins has done. Back in January, he was at least 450 pounds. When the Skins signed him at the end of April, he weighed 404. As of last week, he was down to 342. Williams lost over a hundred pounds in seven months - there's no reason in the world why Harrison can't lose 10 or 12.

As far as a reason, Harrison had his knee scoped between OTAs and training camp, and that apparently hurt his conditioning regimen. Also, Harrison referred to some family problems he's been dealing with; I don't know what effect that would have had, if any. In any case, the guy just needs to get his conditioning back up, lose a dozen pounds, and get back on the field.

If anything, I'm glad that they failed him on his physical and put him on the NFI list. Last season, it seemed like a lot of guys made it through camp with suspect conditioning and then were showing it on the field during games. Harrison should have no problem getting back to his playing weight in pretty short order, and the NFI thing sends the message that the coaching staff is serious about conditioning and commitment.

I am not sure it is "just" about his weight. I thought I read where one of the coaches mentioned his body fat. It is very possible to have your weight in a target area, but not your body fat.

I get the sense weight is what we are hearing about the most, but I also get the impression it is more than just that. I read he simply looks fat and out of shape. It may not be difficult to drop 10-15 lbs. Hell, at that weight, you can likely drop that is water weight alone. I think it is more than simply what the scale reads though. I get the impression he is flat out, out of shape. Further, I get the impression it is something the staff discussed w/ him prior to camp.

For me, this is a legit concern. Here is a young player who has a legit shot at the starting lineup. I would expect such a player to be hungry for a big role in the defense, rather than hungry for another double cheese burger. Every DL I have read about thus far seems to have truly committed themselves w/ Marinelli stepping in. I am not sure Harrison has committed himself the same way.

I was at TC today and Harrison was standing on the sidelines in shorts and his jersey and his mid section looked pretty large from my vantage point.

That's what I have read from other reporters too. Several have said he looks closer to 400. They are not saying that is actual, but more making the point of just how bad he looks.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be ripped, or impressive w/ his shirt off, yet at the same time, I don't think he is expected to look like Ted Washington either. While I personally like having a big boy in the middle, ala Ted Washington, that simply is not our scheme, nor what Lovie is going to go w/.

I was at TC today and Harrison was standing on the sidelines in shorts and his jersey and his mid section looked pretty large from my vantage point.