New pass coverage technique

AZ54

At the bottom of an article about Zach Bowman was this little tidbit about how Jon Hoke has changed our CBs coverage technique:

********************************************************************************

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2983877.story

Then came organized team activities, and the new emphasis on coverage technique that played into Bowman's skills beautifully.

"We've done more backpedaling this year than I ever have in my life and that has helped me a lot," Bowman said. "They are teaching us to stay square for a longer period of time. Last year they were telling us to open up any time we felt threatened. This year they are telling us to stay square and just backpedal faster."

********************************************************************************

It's far too early to know how much this will help but it interesting to note that in years past players were told to open up anytime they felt threatened. This explains, at least in part, why so many of us were always screaming at our TVs when our CBs left WR open for so many short routes. When a coach gives guidance like this, IMO it isn't challenging a player to uphold a high standard for performance. There's just no baseline in the expectation for a player to achieve "just open up whenever YOU feel threatened." How about teaching a guy when to open up based on what the WR is doing?

Clearly Bowman is benefitting from the new changes in tactics, hopefully it carries over to more players in our secondary. Maybe now we'll be able to defend the inside slant route.

At the bottom of an article about Zach Bowman was this little tidbit about how Jon Hoke has changed our CBs coverage technique:

Then came organized team activities, and the new emphasis on coverage technique that played into Bowman's skills beautifully.

"We've done more backpedaling this year than I ever have in my life and that has helped me a lot," Bowman said. "They are teaching us to stay square for a longer period of time. Last year they were telling us to open up any time we felt threatened. This year they are telling us to stay square and just backpedal faster."

It's far too early to know how much this will help but it interesting to note that in years past players were told to open up anytime they felt threatened. This explains, at least in part, why so many of us were always screaming at our TVs when our CBs left WR open for so many short routes. When a coach gives guidance like this, IMO it isn't challenging a player to uphold a high standard for performance. There's just no baseline in the expectation for a player to achieve "just open up whenever YOU feel threatened." How about teaching a guy when to open up based on what the WR is doing?

Clearly Bowman is benefitting from the new changes in tactics, hopefully it carries over to more players in our secondary. Maybe now we'll be able to defend the inside slant route.

Nice tidbit!

You know, if we can regain a steady pass rush from our front 4 this is a great tactic. One - it allows the CB's to engage the run more readily. Two - they can see more of the field. Three - It will allow the FS to play center field. In Mannings case that will be playing to his strength - speed. Lastly, the LB's will be free to do different alignments without removing the ability to play in front of the ball. (thus enhaceing our ability against the run and slant patterns. It all starts up front though. If we don't get pressure, the CB's will be in retreat mode once again or we'll give up some huge plays in the passing game.

What I really look for to, if it all comes together, is unleashing D Manning from the nickel spot when the other team goes into max protect on 3rd and long situations. There's aways new hope with every season.

Nice tidbit!

You know, if we can regain a steady pass rush from our front 4 this is a great tactic. One - it allows the CB's to engage the run more readily. Two - they can see more of the field. Three - It will allow the FS to play center field. In Mannings case that will be playing to his strength - speed. Lastly, the LB's will be free to do different alignments without removing the ability to play in front of the ball. (thus enhaceing our ability against the run and slant patterns. It all starts up front though. If we don't get pressure, the CB's will be in retreat mode once again or we'll give up some huge plays in the passing game.

What I really look for to, if it all comes together, is unleashing D Manning from the nickel spot when the other team goes into max protect on 3rd and long situations. There's aways new hope with every season.

I agree, if we can generate a consistent pass rush like we did couple of years ago, then our LB's will be playing to there strengths. We have a much better LB core now than we did back then so I think we could have a better defense.

Great post! This explain lots. Specifically why our pass-defense sucked balls the past two years. If a WR fakes long, all he had to do was cut back across the middle to get open. Specifically, I hope it means we'll jam the WR instead of bending over for him . . .

Last season against the Bears, Brian Griese passed for 407 yards, Gus Ferrotte 298, Kerry Collins 289, Matt Ryan 301. All 4 put up season highs against the Bears. Why the hell didn't we adjust to this sooner?

Apparently our new secondary coach is a bit more of the in-your-face type. In the past Lovie favored the "teaching type" of coaches and felt they worked best with the players. Now he seems to have moved toward the task-master side of the equation, not all the way to other side but more in the middle between the two styles considering Marinelli and Hoke. You only need to watch the Sunday camp video on the Bears site to see this is clearly having an effect on Mark Anderson whose effort in the pas rush one-on-one has more urgency than I've ever seen in him, and he made an inside counter move too! It's only practice so far and of course having Melton and Idonije behind him and the desire for a new contract and/or job are motivating factors too.

The camera angles for most of the camp video make it hard to see what the DBs are doing so I can't make out if anyone is reacting better to the WR cuts and/or inside slants. Any feedback on this topic from the lucky few who get to camp would be appreciated.

Apparently our new secondary coach is a bit more of the in-your-face type. In the past Lovie favored the "teaching type" of coaches and felt they worked best with the players. Now he seems to have moved toward the task-master side of the equation, not all the way to other side but more in the middle between the two styles considering Marinelli and Hoke. You only need to watch the Sunday camp video on the Bears site to see this is clearly having an effect on Mark Anderson whose effort in the pas rush one-on-one has more urgency than I've ever seen in him, and he made an inside counter move too! It's only practice so far and of course having Melton and Idonije behind him and the desire for a new contract and/or job are motivating factors too.

The camera angles for most of the camp video make it hard to see what the DBs are doing so I can't make out if anyone is reacting better to the WR cuts and/or inside slants. Any feedback on this topic from the lucky few who get to camp would be appreciated.

Having better coaches makes a world of diffrence and like you stated being in a contract year will lite a fire underneath so one can get a better pay check with better play doing the year, just look at what Peppers will get from the Panthers, 16 mil this year as the tagged player.

We've done more backpedaling this year than I ever have in my life and that has helped me a lot," Bowman said. "They are teaching us to stay square for a longer period of time. Last year they were telling us to open up any time we felt threatened. This year they are telling us to stay square and just backpedal faster." What this does is it gives you more eyes on the WR you are guarding. So if he makes a more you can see it instead of the turn and bail coverage we were using you hav to look at either the WR or the QB. Once you turn you will get lost from the WR and he will be open more than the back pedal where you still have him and the QB in in sight.

I read this too, and I wonder if the coaches didn't teach this because of the way the linebackers and safeties were used last season. With 2 or even 3 LBs right up in the gaps and the safeties 20 yards from the line of scrimmage, the corners were really hung out to dry. If you don't have any help in coverage, I can see why it would be preferable to turn and run with the receiver: at least you can make the tackle after the catch, even if doing so means that you don't have a chance to make a play on the ball. From how Bowman describes it, it really sounds like this was just another way that our whole defensive performance (or lack thereof) last season trickled down from the defensive line. The d-line couldn't get pressure or stop the run, which meant that the linebackers had to leave their coverage zones and help the line, which meant that the safeties had to play ridiculously deep to prevent big plays, which meant that the corners had to bail almost immediately, rather than get themselves in position to break up a pass. That's a recipe for a terrible pass defense, which is exactly what we had.

I get what you are saying, but I am not sure it is just about the DL.

If your CBs are giving huge cushions, and are overall simply incapable of coverage, then the job of the DL is near impossible. Think about the TB game when Griese completed like a million short passes. If you had an all-pro DL, it would not matter. No DL can pressure the QB if all he is doing is taking 3 step drops and getting rid of the ball on shor route passes.

I even remember Alex Brown, and I think someone else on the DL, complaining about similar. Brown was asked about the inability to generage pass rush, and his reply essentially pointed the finger at the secondary. He implied the QB has to hold the ball X amount of time for the DL to have any shot at getting to the QB, but if the QB is hitting on quick hit passes, there is simply little the DL can do about it.

I simply believe the coaching was bad all around on defense. Think about some of the things that has come out from the players.

- DL - Brown indicated the DL can't pass rush against 3 step drops, implying the DBs were playing too far off the LOS.

- DL - Idonije said point blank that we don't practice/run stunts or misdirection. That was not last year, but was under this staff.

- DB - Vasher was very frustrated, and basically said he was doing what he was told to do. Said the job of the CB is to take away the outside (sideline) and turn the receiver inside. That is basically what we saw our DBs do all year. Problem was, we also had our LBs playing on top fo the LOS, and thus they were not in position to help on those WRs going over the middle, as they are responsible for doing. The DB gets the blame as he is seen simply chasing the WR from behind, but the play (as designed) would have seen the WR run right into the LB. CB does his job, but the expected help is not there.

I would say that is similar to when our CB would release to the S on deep routes in zone defense, but if the S was late to his assignement, the CB often gets criticized, even if he simply did his job.

- LB - Urlacher has never been shy about questioning the scheme or how he has been used.

Yes, I know players are going to make excuses for poor play, but for me, their "excuses" often made sense. I still look at it like this. Most would agree our defense was pretty damn good our SB season, and that we have sucked since. If it was just a player or two, that would be one thing, but few players have looked good since that SB run. Did all our players get bad at once? On the other hand, we also saw a change in coaching w/ a new DC and DL coach. To me, it is more logical the one or two changes (coaching) were the root of the problem, rather than a bunch of players going from pro bowl caliber to burger flipper grade.

I read this too, and I wonder if the coaches didn't teach this because of the way the linebackers and safeties were used last season. With 2 or even 3 LBs right up in the gaps and the safeties 20 yards from the line of scrimmage, the corners were really hung out to dry. If you don't have any help in coverage, I can see why it would be preferable to turn and run with the receiver: at least you can make the tackle after the catch, even if doing so means that you don't have a chance to make a play on the ball. From how Bowman describes it, it really sounds like this was just another way that our whole defensive performance (or lack thereof) last season trickled down from the defensive line. The d-line couldn't get pressure or stop the run, which meant that the linebackers had to leave their coverage zones and help the line, which meant that the safeties had to play ridiculously deep to prevent big plays, which meant that the corners had to bail almost immediately, rather than get themselves in position to break up a pass. That's a recipe for a terrible pass defense, which is exactly what we had.

The bad/scary aspect of this is....

As much as I love the idea of our CBs playing tighter, the potential downside here is there will be more pressure on our safeties. Our safeties are going to need to read quicker, react quicker and get to the necessary point quicker. W/ a potential safety tandem of D.Manning and Payne, that is a touch scary.

Don't get me wrong. I want to see more press coverage and I am glad we are working on that. But if we do press, and our pass rush is not dominant (or close) we are going to need our safeties to play a lot better than I think most are expecting from them.

What I thought I saw today was a lot of tighter coverage from all the DBs including Vasher. There were a lot of WRs getting behind DBs because they were not opening up fast enough, so thats going to be a work in progress.

The bad/scary aspect of this is....

As much as I love the idea of our CBs playing tighter, the potential downside here is there will be more pressure on our safeties. Our safeties are going to need to read quicker, react quicker and get to the necessary point quicker. W/ a potential safety tandem of D.Manning and Payne, that is a touch scary.

Don't get me wrong. I want to see more press coverage and I am glad we are working on that. But if we do press, and our pass rush is not dominant (or close) we are going to need our safeties to play a lot better than I think most are expecting from them.

I look at this in a different light. I still believe that we will be playing off the ball for the most part however now our coaches are realizing that you need to play bump in run also, which is something we have failed to do in the past.

I think you are right. We've been terrible in bump and run and if there's one thing our CBs need to work that is it. I don't mind at all the early emphasis on getting this technique down. Certainly if our pass rush isn't what we think it can be this will put our DBs in a tougher spot so I'd expect we'd back off a bit. However, if our Dline is doing their job and passes are coming out quicker then we need to be in tight coverage.