Olsen Named Starting TE

lemonej

Comcast Sports Net reports that the Bears have named Greg Olsen the starter at TE. From what I saw at TC this is not surprising and its nothing against Des Clark(67 starts in a row) its just that Olsen has improved more each year and looks ready to blossom.

I think this is just a nominal change in the depth chart. As the #2 tight end last year, Olsen got a number of snaps nearly identical to what Clark got as the #1. We've used a lot of 2TE sets since Olsen came on board: if anything, we should use even more this year with the question marks at receiver. Clark's still going to get a ton of playing time as the #2 tight end. I'm glad Olsen's getting some recognition, though. I think he's about to have a HUGE year.

Personally, I hope we end up seeing a lot fewer 2 TE formations and more 3 WR formations.

One, if we see fewer 2 TE sets and more 3 WR sets, a key reason should be we have receivers stepping up, which would be great.

Two, while there were other factors, the stats show Forte was a far superior runner when we spread it out, rather than when we ran 2 TE formations. In 2 TE formations, Forte had a 3.6 ypc avg, compared to 4.0 in 1 TE. Further, when we had 3 WRs, he had a 5.2 ypc avg.

W/ an improved OL, his ypc avg should increase, even in 2 TE sets. At the same time, I think Forte is simply better when we spread it out. Now, we can't do that if we don't get a couple WRs stepping up, but if that does happen, I think it could really spell success for our offense.

I think this is just a nominal change in the depth chart. As the #2 tight end last year, Olsen got a number of snaps nearly identical to what Clark got as the #1. We've used a lot of 2TE sets since Olsen came on board: if anything, we should use even more this year with the question marks at receiver. Clark's still going to get a ton of playing time as the #2 tight end. I'm glad Olsen's getting some recognition, though. I think he's about to have a HUGE year.

LOL on the stats showing our Oline couldn't block well last year. No shock Forte did better when we ran a spread offense but I'll add one more thing, those were also more likely to be 3rd and long downs so the D was likely a backed off the LOS a bit.

Personally, I hope we end up seeing a lot fewer 2 TE formations and more 3 WR formations.

One, if we see fewer 2 TE sets and more 3 WR sets, a key reason should be we have receivers stepping up, which would be great.

Two, while there were other factors, the stats show Forte was a far superior runner when we spread it out, rather than when we ran 2 TE formations. In 2 TE formations, Forte had a 3.6 ypc avg, compared to 4.0 in 1 TE. Further, when we had 3 WRs, he had a 5.2 ypc avg.

W/ an improved OL, his ypc avg should increase, even in 2 TE sets. At the same time, I think Forte is simply better when we spread it out. Now, we can't do that if we don't get a couple WRs stepping up, but if that does happen, I think it could really spell success for our offense.

Nfo something I saw at TC was it looked like they were working a lot on inside running plays and it looked as if they were using trap blocking between the guard and tackle. They were running this with every back taking reps with AP the only one who wasn't getting through the whole quick enough IMO. Sometimes it was from 2 TEs with Olsen sometimes shifting out of the backfield and splitting out wide and they also put 3WRs in this formation. The one common thing that I saw was 1 RB.This may be strictly their plan to attack the 3-4 defenses they will face in the first 2 games.Running outside on the 3-4 is very difficult. I'm just leary of passing downs not having a FB out there when one of the ILB tries to shoot through on a blitz.

I am totally fine not having a FB back there.

One. I think Forte is actually a better runner w/o a FB.

Two. I think our FB sucks.

Three. I think we have upgraded our OL, and thus will be more capable than in the past of picking up that ILB.

Four. We actually now have a QB that (a) can actually see the blitzer coming at him (B) can avoid said blitz and buy time and © still scan the field as he avoids the blitz.

Let teams blitz Cutler. IMHO, he will eat them alive.

Nfo something I saw at TC was it looked like they were working a lot on inside running plays and it looked as if they were using trap blocking between the guard and tackle. They were running this with every back taking reps with AP the only one who wasn't getting through the whole quick enough IMO. Sometimes it was from 2 TEs with Olsen sometimes shifting out of the backfield and splitting out wide and they also put 3WRs in this formation. The one common thing that I saw was 1 RB.This may be strictly their plan to attack the 3-4 defenses they will face in the first 2 games.Running outside on the 3-4 is very difficult. I'm just leary of passing downs not having a FB out there when one of the ILB tries to shoot through on a blitz.

I don't know. I really don't recall Forte getting many handoffs when it was 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 10. A year before, I seem to recall AP getting plenty of those, and it felt every time like we were just giving up on the play. But last year, I didn't think we did that very often.

What I am curious about, in terms of stats, is when we had Olsen and Clark on the field, but Olsen was lined up as a WR, would the stats reflect a 2 TE formation or would he have been viewed as a 3rd WR.

LOL on the stats showing our Oline couldn't block well last year. No shock Forte did better when we ran a spread offense but I'll add one more thing, those were also more likely to be 3rd and long downs so the D was likely a backed off the LOS a bit.