John Clayton sippin on some Bears Kool Aid

'TD'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...&id=4375764

Cutler more than just a strong arm

Comment Email Print Share

Clayton By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- What's fascinating about Chicago's camp has been the fans' reaction to quarterback Jay Cutler, the most talented Bear to play the position since Sid Luckman five decades ago.

Sure, Bears fans are excited about Cutler's arm. It's one of the best in the game. When he snaps off a lightning rod of a pass, they hoot and holler. Whether it's awe or cautious disbelief, Bears fans stand and shout out critiques to the receivers or the thrower when the play doesn't go perfectly. Cutler's arrival has created a fascinating adjustment for a knowledgeable fan base raised on great defense and running the football.

Air Coryell wouldn't sell in this town, but a winning Cutler can.

Here are five things I learned about the Bears:

1. Cutler's arm is only part of the story: His knowledge of the passing game and receiving talent might equal his arm strength. Cutler and a bunch of his former Denver Broncos teammates remembered watching Eddie Royal make remarkable plays on special teams during the opening of 2008 organized team activities and telling Mike Shanahan, "Who's this guy? I think we need to get him over here." Within days, Royal was working with the offense and ended up catching 91 passes. Cutler has a double gift. He knows where his receivers like to have the ball placed on throws. Plus, he can deliver those passes to the right location. For example, Cutler said Devin Hester likes lower throws, but the completions work best when he gets the pass off to him quicker. Because split end Earl Bennett played with Cutler at Vanderbilt, Cutler knows exactly the right places to make the most of Bennett's talents. To Cutler, Hester's skills resemble Royal's, and Bennett's is a hybrid of those of Royal and Brandon Marshall.

2. Offense optimistic: Bears management clearly values the strength of the receiving corps more than outsiders do, but offensive coordinator Ron Turner is going to play the equivalent of a shell game. One of the Bears' favorite formations is putting tight ends Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark on the outside of Hester and Bennett, effectively turning the tight ends into wideouts and the wideouts into slot receivers. Olsen and Clark combined for 95 catches last season, nine more than the top two wide receivers in the league. The plan is to draw safeties or linebackers on outside coverage, opening up the middle of the field. Offenses with great wide receivers wouldn't have to do such trickery, so this is a sign the Bears may be good but not great at wide receiver. Hester is now a full-time wide receiver with limited special-teams duties, and Bennett has the look of a solid 50- or 60-catch receiver. "If we don't win on the outside, we're not going to win many ballgames," Cutler said. I thought it was interesting that Bennett changed his number from 85 to 80 because he thought 85 looked too slow.

3. The running offense should continue to grow in 2009: Matt Forte rushed for 1,238 yards as a rookie, but eight-man fronts limited him to 3.9 yards a carry. Cutler's ability to throw and recognize defensive alignments should open up bigger plays for Forte and his backup, Kevin Jones. It will be Cutler's job in the early weeks of the season to force opposing defenses out of eight-man fronts by creating enough receiving threats. When defenses move into Cover 2 alignments, Cutler can work magic with Forte and Jones. The additions of Orlando Pace, Frank Omiyale and Kevin Shaffer to the offensive line help with depth and fit the athleticism needed for the Bears' zone-blocking scheme. Chris Williams, last year's first-round pick, looks solid at right tackle. Omiyale will battle Josh Beekman for the left guard job.

4. Bowman turning heads: Cornerback Zach Bowman, a previously unknown fifth-round pick from 2008, has been the star of the offseason, and he has come on at the right time. Bowman was considered a potential high-round corner at Nebraska but he blew out a knee in 2006. All the guy does is make plays. The 6-foot-1 corner had eight interceptions and close to 20 pass breakups in the organized team activities and minicamps. With Charles Tillman out for most, if not all, of the preseason following back surgery, Bowman provides a solid corner who might have to be ready to start on the other side of Nathan Vasher for the season opener.

5. Rejuvenated defense: In 2004, the Bears assembled a core group of young defenders who thought they could play forever. Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris, Nathan Vasher and Mike Brown all were 27 years or younger as Pro Bowlers on an 11-win team in 2005. All but Brown return for their sixth season together, and they are hoping to regain the fountain of youth. Urlacher is 31 and Alex Brown 32. The Bears' defense is coming off seasons in which it finished 28th and 21st in yards allowed. To regroup, Bears coach Lovie Smith resumed control of the defensive play calling. Rod Marinelli was hired to re-energize the defensive line. The Bears feel as though they are still young enough to rebound. In case you're wondering, the Tampa Bay Bucs defense, led by Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, had a nine-year run in the late 1990s to the early 2000s.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

1. Cutler's arm is only part of the story......

One of the better things I have read, as it doesn't fall into the normal talk category. You always read the general stuff about a QB and WR getting on the same page, but this take it another step, going so far as to explain where Hester "likes the ball". Love reading that sort of detailed info. I had previously talked about how Cutler will benefit our WRs w/ his ability to place the ball, but I was thinking more in terms of leading them. I hadn't thought before about different WRs liking to catch the ball in different locations, much less a QB being good enough to place the ball there. With the QBs we have had in the past, the QB was doing well to put it in the same zip code as the WR.

2. Offense optimistic....

Love reading this too, talking about actually lining our TEs outside to free up the inside. I have read we have lined Olsen up in the backfield. I have read we are really getting Wolfe involved. Cuter talked about how they were working on and practicing bootlegs and roll outs. Its almost as if we have a whole new offense. Honestly, it really makes me think about something. For years we have ripped and bashed Turner for being so predictable. After reading about some of the things we have been working on, I have to just wonder how much has been Turner and how much has been Turner being hamstrung w/ mediocre players.

If Orton were our QB, does anyone believe we would be practicing bootlegs and roll outs?

3. The running offense should continue to grow in 2009......

Nice to read Clayton say it, but nothing we haven't talked about. Upgrades to OL and QB could have a huge affect on our run game.

4. Bowman turning heads......

Again, nice to read, but nothing we have not known and discussed. Some have said Bowman is looking like this years Graham, who looked awesome in OTAs and camp last year. Bowman has been doing it on an even more impressive scale. As many questions as there are surrounding our more highly paid corners, it is great to see/read about how well our young DBs are doing.

5. Rejuvenated defense......

Some more rehash here.

Point 5 is a throw away for me. That was far from insightful. Points 3 and 4 are nothing new for us, but may be for many other bear fans, and good to read an outside talk about. Points 1 and 2 were very good reads IMHO, and two things I feel are relatively fresh.

2. Offense optimistic....

Love reading this too, talking about actually lining our TEs outside to free up the inside. I have read we have lined Olsen up in the backfield. I have read we are really getting Wolfe involved. Cuter talked about how they were working on and practicing bootlegs and roll outs. Its almost as if we have a whole new offense. Honestly, it really makes me think about something. For years we have ripped and bashed Turner for being so predictable. After reading about some of the things we have been working on, I have to just wonder how much has been Turner and how much has been Turner being hamstrung w/ mediocre players.

If Orton were our QB, does anyone believe we would be practicing bootlegs and roll outs?

Regarding this issue, shouldn't Turner have tried anyway?

Is the team only capable of roll outs when Cutler is on the team?

Is the team only capable of using Wolfe when Cutler is on the team?

Is the team only capable of using Bennett when Cutler is on the team?

I guess my point is, even with Orton, a QB with below average mobility, it doesn't hurt to throw a wrinkle into the game plan every once in a while. With or without Cutler, Wolfe and Bennett should have been on the field last year. The rollout is unexpected and causes the defense problems, and makes the overall offense better. The addition of two players who were not given a chance last year also should speak volumes.

All I know is, there are NO excuses for Turner this year. He finally has his ingredients, now it's time to feast. And I'm unwilling to accept the same Taco Bell value meal for such a high price.

Understand. I am not saying Turner has been great, but only held back by players. I have done more than my fair share of Turner bashing. At the same time, I also feel he has been limited by our personnel.

First, it isn't just the addition of Cutler. It is more than that. Think about how much is different this year from last.

Orton to Cutler. Okay, this one is obvious.

Likely 3 new starters on the OL. Even if Beekman were to keep his job, I would argue this is still a change, as he is no longer a rookie getting his feet wet. We have not only upgraded, but also added a future 1st ballot HOF player to man the left side.

Forte was awesome last year, but was also a rookie. While we used the hell out of him, at the same time, I bet we didn't "teach" him everything.

Our #1 WR is the same this year and last, but think about what a difference a year makes. Last year was Hester's 1st season as a full time WR. He was not a rookie, but was closer than not to being just that in terms of WR. Now, while I would not call him a seasoned veteran, he far better knows the playbook, system and his position, also which was new to him.

Even players that did well for us last year were still learning and relatively new. Hester, Forte and Olsen were three of our top weapons, and none were experienced. Now, all three have a far greater base of knowledge, and thus we can better open things up for them.

I do agree Turner could have tried to do some more, but also would argue he actually did get creative, but again, you can only get so creative w/ players who (a) lack knowledge and/or (B) lack ability.

For example, Orton was not a mobile QB. he was capable of moving around in the pocket, but was neither good outside the pocket, nor throwing on the run. These are two areas Cutler excels at, thus why we didn't use many roll outs in the past, but could make it part of our system this year. Further, beyond just the QB, if your edge blockers suck, you can get your QB killed rolling him out.

Look, you can bring up Bennett, and I will agree all day, but I think there is more evidence that personnel limited us more than the other way around. Bennett is a great case against our staff, but I think I can list plenty more examples where personnel hurt our coaches.

I guess my point is, even with Orton, a QB with below average mobility, it doesn't hurt to throw a wrinkle into the game plan every once in a while. With or without Cutler, Wolfe and Bennett should have been on the field last year. The rollout is unexpected and causes the defense problems, and makes the overall offense better. The addition of two players who were not given a chance last year also should speak volumes.

All I know is, there are NO excuses for Turner this year. He finally has his ingredients, now it's time to feast. And I'm unwilling to accept the same Taco Bell value meal for such a high price.

Dude, you rip the guy for running reverses, Wolfe up the middle, and the fullback play, but you wanted him to use rollouts with Orton?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Dude, you rip the guy for running reverses, Wolfe up the middle, and the fullback play, but you wanted him to use rollouts with Orton?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Good memory. However, it's not running the plays that I ripped Turner about. It's WHEN he ran them. That's the big problem. There's a big difference between Wolfe up the middle on 1st and 10, at the 50yd line, against the Lions; and multiple downs, inside the Bears' 10yd line, against the Vikings.

What makes a good offensive coach is the ability to keep the defense off balance. This requires a bit of creativity, and a large amount of game-flow awareness. Turner may have had the creativity, but he doesn't appear to really understand how the game flows, how to keep his opponents guessing, or how to maximize the opportunities for the surprise, trick, or otherwise unorthodox to the Bears' base plays.

Think about it this way...

Is it better to let everyone know what your cards are right away in Texas Hold'em, or is it better to hold two aces late into the hand to lure the other players into bad moves? Turner shows his hold cards too early and bets too predictably.