Whats up with Graham?

nfoligno

I still have some disagreement, and I'll explain why.

You mention Marshall, Graham and Bowman. I would point out those are late round flyers as much as anything (no pun intended). You often take greater raw talent later in the draft, while earlier on you more often seek out system fits. Tillman and Vasher were both drafted at a higher level, and neither were ever accused of being speed burners. Ditto that for Moore who we drafted this year.

You then mention two speed guys drafted earlier in Hester and DM. Hester was initially considered a DB, but lets not pretend for one moment he was drafted for anything but his return skills. Our return game stunk, and he was viewed as being electric. His potential at DB was an after-though. As for DM, he was drafted to be our FS, which is a totally different thing from our CB discussion. I would also argue DM seems to be the exception more than the rule as to what sort of player we have drafted or added to play S. Steltz, Afalava, Payne, Harris, Todd Johnson, Gray. DM is the only non-SS we have drafted to play FS.

I am not saying slow footed guys fit our system. I am simply arguing pure speed is not as necessary in our system, or any that utilizes a lot of zone, as it is in a defense that most often uses man. Man coverage is where you truly need speed as you more often are left on an island.

I do agree w/ your earlier point about closing speed being bigger than pure speed. When you say closing speed, that basically equates to quickness for me. I think key DB attributes for our scheme are:

quickenss - Need the ability to make quick breaks on the ball.

hands - IMHO, if we had a CB who was a near shut down guy, but w/ stone hands, I don't think Lovie would like him. Turnovers is key in our scheme, and in Lovie's mind, and your CBs need to be able to catch the ball nearly as well as your WRs.

Smarts - IMHO, this is an area we have not stressed enough, but is key. You need your CB to be able to read the play, and quickly react. Mike Brown is the epitomy of this attribute. DM is at the other end.

Tackling - Our CBs are big in run support, and are expected to make sure tackles against RBs in support and WRs, as preventing the big play is always key. Tillman, before the shoulder injury, was considered a very sound tackling CB. Vasher was always a bit iffy. Graham looks awesome in this regard last year, and IMHO, that may have been a key reason why the staff began to look at him as a S.

Nfo what I meant was closing speed. You know this scheme allows for recievers to catch the ball then yoiu quickly come up and close on the play.That is what Vasher isn't doing anymore and Tillman can close quickly but often wiffs on the tackle. According to a lot of the beat writers Vasher is lacking in confidence which leads to hesitancy and takes away from your speed also. David Haugh(Tribune) wrote an article about Vasher where the new DB coach had to remind him that he was in full pads and he needed to use them.

I understand your assessment and the so called stereotype of cover 2 CBs but the Bears haven't been drafting slow pokes but what they have been drafting is guys that may have been injured but had good speed prior to getting injured.See Alphonso Marshall, Corey Graham and Zack Bowman in college. Now lets talk about 2 guys that were drafted to play in the Bears secondary that can fly. Devin Hester and Daniel Manning drafted in tha same round in the same year were both expected to make an impact in the secondary. Regardless of what the so called impression is about Cover 2 DBs the Bears have been going after guys that can run on the field. There is a reason for Lovie liking guys to be lighter in the front seven its for quickness and speed.