Will Bears extend Cutler?

bowlingtwig

No. They just traded 3 draft picks including 2 in the 1st round to just have him for a few years then say goodbye.

You ever been told you're a smart-###. I mean really half of your posts are nothing but trying to provoke other posters. Your mom ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all? B/C my dad always said if you have nothing nice to say... say it and you'll get a back hand! :angry:

:shakehead

Cutler says it all in my opinion:

“At a certain point, there is going to be a time and a place for that,” Cutler said. “This year, I still have to go out and play and prove myself on the field and then, you know, maybe after this season, maybe after the next season, we’ll sit down and talk and see what we can do.”

Peace :dabears

What an immature SOB! ;)

Cutler says it all in my opinion:

“At a certain point, there is going to be a time and a place for that,” Cutler said. “This year, I still have to go out and play and prove myself on the field and then, you know, maybe after this season, maybe after the next season, we’ll sit down and talk and see what we can do.”

Peace :dabears

http://nfpost.com/Biggs-Will-Bears-extend-Cutler.html

Its amazing what all you can find on Twitter. lol Thanks to Brad Biggs.

The one thing this article didn't mention that the Sun Times did is that Cutler has 3 years remaining on his contract.

Three years ago today we were sure that Rex Grossman was our savior if only he could stay healthy.

We were also wondering why the hell JA didn't sign a WR and whether or not the TJ/Benson feud would tear the team apart.

Pretty good year 2006.

I mention all this because damn that seems like a long time ago.

There's no rush. Franchise QB's never walk . . . unless they retire and then unretire. Sure things could change with the cap & CBA, but who cares at this point?

I hope we sign him and I'm sure we'll sign him sooner or later.

certainly no rush but I have little doubt that unless he falls on his face here we will see the Bears extend him. You don't go out and give up what we gave up for the guy to just come here for a short stay. At this point all we have is expectation the rest is up to him and whether or not he performs at or above those expectations. He's yet to throw a pass as a Bear give him a year to a year and a half. I don't see us talking extension till sometime next season. Even if he does well this year. With three years left on the contract let him settle in for a year and then start thinking extension.

Conversely if he does prove to be the guy we all think he is and is successful he will own this town. Not extending him at that point would be a death wish for JA and Co. Many of us are excited to the point where we aren't sure what to expect that we have a competent playmaker behind center. I for one am still adjusting to the idea of expecting good things from our QB.

I think he's got the correct approach to it. He knows the situation and knows what's expected and wants to prove that he was worth what we gave up. Like I said earlier in the post unless he screws up royally this town will embrace him and he will be the face of the Bears Offense for the foreseeable future. The onus is on him and he knows it and is embracing that challenge.

certainly no rush

Well said my man. Great post.

I'd say the onus is more on Ron Turner than anyone else here. If Cutler turns into a pumpkin at midnight it'll be Ron Turner's offense that did it. Turner might point to a lack of WR's in his defense but he'll be fired if this offense doesn't produce. I think it will produce as I remember RT being pretty successful with Kramer at QB but only live action will tell us the full story. If the Bears O moves the ball well, Cutler will be signed long term this season while the cap space is there. Or they could extend a few other players reducing next year's cap load thereby freeing up space for negotiations then. I don't know who hits next year though so I'm not sure they could migrate that much space to 2010. LT?