Cutler (not) Throwing Rashied Davis off the team?

AZ54

Just a thought here but with all the upbeat chat about Rideau and Aromashodu playing so well it's obvious Rashied Davis has not stood out in camp. Reality is that QBs decide where they are throwing the ball. Of course if the OC doesn't like the reads the QB is taking some risks but right now Cutler isn't worried about his job security. I'm just wondering if Cutler sees the athletic ability and potential of a guy like DA and is he just giving him as many chances as possible to make him successful at the expense of Rashied Davis?

Consider that we have so many inexperienced WR and Davis knows our system very well. You'd think this situation would lead to Davis standing out early in camp while others struggled to get their routes and timing down. That hasn't been the case, and I've not heard much about dropped passes from Davis although I'm certain he's dropped some based on his history. Add in that we've put Davis back at the slot position where he supposedly plays well.

Rideau has been around a couple years so he knows the system and has shined at times but DA just showed up after kicking around the league for a couple years. I don't want to take credit away from either of these young WR because many people have seen them making plays in camp, I'm just wondering if Cutler hasn't quietly opened the door a bit more for these guys to standout. Today at the post-practice press conference he stated that he'd like to have input into which WR make the team but that might not be the case. Regardless he said he'd speak his mind and that he and Turner are pretty much on the same page.

Last year we heard all about how Davis was primed for a breakout season. It never materialized. Of course he was going against what proved to be a weak secondary and likely that helped him. OTOH did Orton have a comfort zone and trust with Davis that Cutler simply doesn't have?

This thread is not about which WR make the roster rather it's about how Cutler is using his leadership and influence to shape the roster. I don't mean to imply he's doing it in a selfish way, I feel he has the team's best interest in mind. Whether he is right or wrong is debatable. If in fact there has been some early favoritism toward a new guy versus the veteran Davis how is this perceived in the locker room? I know when they were on the radio Olsen agreed with Cutler that DA was really standing out but Olsen and Cutler are pretty good friends so it's not a big surprise they'd agree like that. IMO it seems we're beginning to see the vocal Jay Cutler who often spoke his mind on the sidelines as well as in public. How will the team and coaching staff respond?

This thread is not about which WR make the roster rather it's about how Cutler is using his leadership and influence to shape the roster.

Honestly, I would be disappointed if Cutler wasn't lobbying for a say in who he is throwing to. Even though his influence may be downplayed, I would argue that his opinion weighs a lot. From what am reading, Cutler is a once in a decade talent. That needs fostered as much as possible to get maximum return. I also don't think he would risk alienating teammates by providing any recommendations. For all that remain; if it's good for Cutler, it's good for the offense.

Here's something I picked up from the Bears website: And I loved it!

Having Cutler push for a certain receiver to make the 53-man roster certainly won’t hurt their cause.

“I think [the Bears] are definitely going to ask me,” Cutler said. “If they don’t ask me, I’m going to tell them what I think because I’ve got to be the one throwing to them on game day and I’ve got to trust them. But [offensive coordinator] Ron [Turner] and I have been on the same page since the start of training camp in what guys we wanted to see working in with me and what guys have stepped up and what direction we want to go with this group.”

Honestly, I would be disappointed if Cutler wasn't lobbying for a say in who he is throwing to. Even though his influence may be downplayed, I would argue that his opinion weighs a lot. From what am reading, Cutler is a once in a decade talent. That needs fostered as much as possible to get maximum return. I also don't think he would risk alienating teammates by providing any recommendations. For all that remain; if it's good for Cutler, it's good for the offense.

Here's something I picked up from the Bears website: And I loved it!

Having Cutler push for a certain receiver to make the 53-man roster certainly won’t hurt their cause.

“I think [the Bears] are definitely going to ask me,” Cutler said. “If they don’t ask me, I’m going to tell them what I think because I’ve got to be the one throwing to them on game day and I’ve got to trust them. But [offensive coordinator] Ron [Turner] and I have been on the same page since the start of training camp in what guys we wanted to see working in with me and what guys have stepped up and what direction we want to go with this group.”

That's fine with me. I would want to say who I throw the ball to also because it give you that bond knowing who you are going to throw to will catch the ball and not being fore feed someone you don't trust

That's fine with me. I would want to say who I throw the ball to also because it give you that bond knowing who you are going to throw to will catch the ball and not being fore feed someone you don't trust

I generally agree. But you've also got to develop rookie talent each year too. So that's got to play into it. No QB in the history of the NFL would ever choose to have a rookie in the group of guys kept at WR. Unless this name was Randy... Obviously there are other examples but you get my point. So, yes, let Cutler have the guys he loves most but don't lose sight of developing talent for the long term either.

I can't wait for Saturday's game!

I generally agree. But you've also got to develop rookie talent each year too. So that's got to play into it. No QB in the history of the NFL would ever choose to have a rookie in the group of guys kept at WR. Unless this name was Randy... Obviously there are other examples but you get my point. So, yes, let Cutler have the guys he loves most but don't lose sight of developing talent for the long term either.

I can't wait for Saturday's game!

Yes I understand that too and I bet If the rookies can catch and Cutler likes them then he will be all for him makin the team.

Just a thought here but with all the upbeat chat about Rideau and Aromashodu playing so well it's obvious Rashied Davis has not stood out in camp. Reality is that QBs decide where they are throwing the ball. Of course if the OC doesn't like the reads the QB is taking some risks but right now Cutler isn't worried about his job security. I'm just wondering if Cutler sees the athletic ability and potential of a guy like DA and is he just giving him as many chances as possible to make him successful at the expense of Rashied Davis?

Consider that we have so many inexperienced WR and Davis knows our system very well. You'd think this situation would lead to Davis standing out early in camp while others struggled to get their routes and timing down. That hasn't been the case, and I've not heard much about dropped passes from Davis although I'm certain he's dropped some based on his history. Add in that we've put Davis back at the slot position where he supposedly plays well.

Rideau has been around a couple years so he knows the system and has shined at times but DA just showed up after kicking around the league for a couple years. I don't want to take credit away from either of these young WR because many people have seen them making plays in camp, I'm just wondering if Cutler hasn't quietly opened the door a bit more for these guys to standout. Today at the post-practice press conference he stated that he'd like to have input into which WR make the team but that might not be the case. Regardless he said he'd speak his mind and that he and Turner are pretty much on the same page.

Last year we heard all about how Davis was primed for a breakout season. It never materialized. Of course he was going against what proved to be a weak secondary and likely that helped him. OTOH did Orton have a comfort zone and trust with Davis that Cutler simply doesn't have?

This thread is not about which WR make the roster rather it's about how Cutler is using his leadership and influence to shape the roster. I don't mean to imply he's doing it in a selfish way, I feel he has the team's best interest in mind. Whether he is right or wrong is debatable. If in fact there has been some early favoritism toward a new guy versus the veteran Davis how is this perceived in the locker room? I know when they were on the radio Olsen agreed with Cutler that DA was really standing out but Olsen and Cutler are pretty good friends so it's not a big surprise they'd agree like that. IMO it seems we're beginning to see the vocal Jay Cutler who often spoke his mind on the sidelines as well as in public. How will the team and coaching staff respond?

Alternately, it could simply be the fact that where Davis was once a specific read, Cutler may not make it to that read because of his ability to:

A] Throw harder

B] Throw more accurately

C] Read defenses better

Maybe the progressions never even get to Davis on many of the plays on which he previously received passes.

I thought about that too, but at the same time, I do read about other receivers making plays out of the slot.

I think it is one of two things.

(a) It is possible the staff is not trying to focus on Davis believing they know what they have in him, while at the same time trying to see the other young WRs as much as possible, as they do not know about them. It would not be the first time this has happened.

(B) It may be as simple as others are stepping up and Davis is not. Davis did decent at one point when he played out of the slot, but lets be honest for a moment. He had 22 and 17 catches his two seasons playing in the slot. He made some nice plays, but I think many bear fans have made him out to be more than he was. He was never that good, but as our WR group was so bad, his couple plays stood out. Well, it appears we have upgraded our talent, and now, he may simply not be standing out due to that.

There may be an element here of Cutler using his position to factor in who makes the roster and who does not. Maybe. IMHO, it is more simply about more talented WRs making plays while Davis is not.

Alternately, it could simply be the fact that where Davis was once a specific read, Cutler may not make it to that read because of his ability to:

A] Throw harder

B] Throw more accurately

C] Read defenses better

Maybe the progressions never even get to Davis on many of the plays on which he previously received passes.

But Rasheid Davis is terrible and we all know that. Who cares about "experience" it doesn't matter if you're not any good. He's had two great moments for the Bears, the TD against Minny late with Grossman, and the long catch down the middle against the Seahawks in the playoffs that got us into field goal position. Other than that, all he has done is drop passes in crucial situations. If the only reason we are keeping him is because he's "experienced" and a reliable special teams player, I think the Bears are wrong.

For once, the Bears have a quarterback who has the guts to tell everyone he will have some say in the final roster cuts regarding the WR's. Could you imagine Kyle or Rex doing that? I haven't heard a word from Cutler about Davis this whole camp and judging by his comments about D.A and Rideau I think that gives you a strong indication of what he's thinking.

Here's some fuel PFT is trying to put on the fire...in their continuing segments on Cutler bashing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Cutler wants say in final roster

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2009 8:22 AM ET

And so as the last quarterback who mistakenly believed that his job duties included the functions of a General Manager fades (we think) into the Mississippi sunset, a new candidate for player-executive emerges.

Jay Cutler.

Cutler, per the Arlington Daily Herald, intends to give his input on the team's final roster.

"I think they're definitely going to ask me," Cuter said. "If they don't ask me, I'm going to tell them what I think because I've got to be the one throwing to them on game day, and I've got to trust them."

Look, the extent to which the starting quarterback and his receivers work together has to be a significant factor in shaping the depth chart. But there's a line, somewhere, that the quarterback shouldn't try to cross.

Publicly indicating that he intends to chime in on who should stay and who should go probably is on the other side of that line.

And if the Bears don't nip this in the bud, it won't stop with Cutler telling the media that he plans to tell the coaches which guys should be turning in their playbooks. What if they keep someone he doesn't want? Will Cutler make his feelings known outside the organization?

Or what if Cutler isn't happy with the offseason decisions that the franchise is making? Will he make like Lord Favre (and, to a certain extent, Donovan McNabb) and make his displeasure known?

Caveat emptor, Chicago. We know you wanted him, but just how closely were the powers that be paying attention to how this guy was behaving as he was trying to get out of Denver?

I hope Cutler is in on the decision making process. QB-WR is one of those relationships that may be hard to gauge from an outside perspective. Cutler knows better than anyone if his throws are where he wanted them and would also know if the WR's are actually running crisp routes based on the play called.

Half of the time (from an outside perspective) you can't tell whether the QB was wrong or the WR was wrong.

So I like the idea that you have someone on the inside giving their 2 cents. It also works the same way for QB. I would think a team would get some input from WR's on a QB battle just to reinforce what they are already thinking.

It can't hurt.

I suspect a lot of QBs have or give input on which WR they like, just not a lot of Bears QBs. In our storied history it has typically been the other way around where the WR were the ones giving input on the QBs.

My opinion is that I have no problem with Cutler having input. I also agree that he does not have final say on the roster, nor do I think he's trying to imply that he wants that. The point about the need to develop rookies who have more talent but less experience and may not perform as well early on is a valid one IMO. I think in this case (Davis vs. Aromashodu) Cutler himself is also looking down the road.

But Rasheid Davis is terrible and we all know that. Who cares about "experience" it doesn't matter if you're not any good. He's had two great moments for the Bears, the TD against Minny late with Grossman, and the long catch down the middle against the Seahawks in the playoffs that got us into field goal position. Other than that, all he has done is drop passes in crucial situations. If the only reason we are keeping him is because he's "experienced" and a reliable special teams player, I think the Bears are wrong.

For once, the Bears have a quarterback who has the guts to tell everyone he will have some say in the final roster cuts regarding the WR's. Could you imagine Kyle or Rex doing that? I haven't heard a word from Cutler about Davis this whole camp and judging by his comments about D.A and Rideau I think that gives you a strong indication of what he's thinking.

What about the one to set up the game winning FG against Tampa to clinch home-field throughout?

Two thoughts:

1. As for Cutler's input on who our WR's are . . . on a normal team this might be unthinkable. But look at it this way: We have exactly ONE WR that other teams in the NFL would want, and that's Hester. I could see Knox, DA, Riddeau, and Davis all seeing the chopping block. If Iglesias wasn't a 3rd round pick I'd include him in that list. Bennett has proven he's better then the rest of this bad group, and no more.

My point is, 4 of our top 6 WR's could easily be out of the NFL in a year. When you're looking at a group like this, why wouldn't you get input from the QB?

2. The SCORE keeps saying Cutler likes big targets. That could ultimately doom Davis. He's not that big, he doesn't have long arms, and he doesn't have an explosive leap.

Two thoughts:

1. As for Cutler's input on who our WR's are . . . on a normal team this might be unthinkable. But look at it this way: We have exactly ONE WR that other teams in the NFL would want, and that's Hester. I could see Knox, DA, Riddeau, and Davis all seeing the chopping block. If Iglesias wasn't a 3rd round pick I'd include him in that list. Bennett has proven he's better then the rest of this bad group, and no more.

My point is, 4 of our top 6 WR's could easily be out of the NFL in a year. When you're looking at a group like this, why wouldn't you get input from the QB?

2. The SCORE keeps saying Cutler likes big targets. That could ultimately doom Davis. He's not that big, he doesn't have long arms, and he doesn't have an explosive leap.

I would actually argue that, most to all, NFL teams have the QB's input on descisions with personnel and gameplanning: Regardless of what you hear or percieve from the press. There is always going to be a "what do think about this guy" conversation occurring.

Another story is, what level of input the QB has. In Cutlers case, I think it would be high, as the team and Cutler are still getting to know each other. Cutler is a 1st hand witness to how these recievers work and act off the field. He is also the person that needs to feel confident his recievers are going to interpret the correct route adjustment, as that could be the difference of a 1st down or a pick 6. He can't be worrying about that as he's dropping back. Even though I think his input is, should and will be high; I don't it's the type of high that gives the coach and GM blind faith like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have.

Lastly, our WR's are unique in that none of them are established and most of them very raw. It places 1/2 of them on the fence. Who do we trust to place them on the correct side of the fence? I'd start with the one guy in the franchise we know is not going anywhere.