NOW can we go after Matt Jones???

bradjock

What I saw from tonight's game with our WR's:

1. Cutler forces the ball to Hester when Olsen's out.

2. IMO Rashied Davis appears to be our 2nd best WR. Not good.

3. Knox & Iglesias ain't going to see the field this year.

4. For all the hype, were Riddeau and DA even playing???

5. Earl Bennett can't get open.

I know the obvious excuses: It's just pre-season, blah, blah, blah . . . I ain't buying it.

Cutler loves big WR's. Go get Matt Jones.

Guest TerraTor
What I saw from tonight's game with our WR's:

1. Cutler forces the ball to Hester when Olsen's out.

2. IMO Rashied Davis appears to be our 2nd best WR. Not good.

3. Knox & Iglesias ain't going to see the field this year.

4. For all the hype, were Riddeau and DA even playing???

5. Earl Bennett can't get open.

I know the obvious excuses: It's just pre-season, blah, blah, blah . . . I ain't buying it.

Cutler loves big WR's. Go get Matt Jones.

I hate to consider preseason much of anything, but as for #4, theres a reason those guys arent on a team and starting. Matt Jones can at least provide a big body and get open.

On a side note, it looked like Baby Huey was getting pushed into the backfield every play from RT. If hes a dancer why isnt he playing LT while Pace probably less mobile now and would likely provide more service as a mauler.

Im not putting too much stock into anything we see in the preseason, i never have. But i dont care what anyone says, we dont have a legitimate #2 WR on our roster let alone a #1.

What I learned: We are RUSTY! and IT'S PRESEASON.

Nothing to worry about. 2/3 of our stars on offense were out. Forte and Olsen make a huge difference, Cutler was looking pretty nervous out there. He forced it up to Devin but Hester should have atleast gotten a pass interference on that instead of basically letting the guy catch it.

-Our 1st string O line looked okay. not great, just okay. Cutler was rushed a few times, in particular that interception he was awfully close to getting hit.

-Did Rideau and D.A even dress? Or was it just "everyone throw to Rashied Davis day"? I don't think either of those guys had a pass thrown to them all day and I may be wrong but I don't think they were on the field much at all. I also didn't notice Bennett in the game. The only two guys I really saw make plays were Davis and Hester... I think we will look better in the 2nd preseason game.

Remember, there is no game planning in preseason. It's just a set of plays the Bears plan to run regardless of what the defense is doing.

The defense looked like a carbon copy of last years which it probably should considering we have the same guys back, mostly. Edwards was 10/10. I would hate to start the season with Vasher as our starting CB, he's awful. I'm hoping Zack Bowman will take his place in the starting lineup once he's healthy.

Rideau was in a lot with the first team. He's the one who dropped the TD pass from Cutler on the play that as blown dead for a penalty. DA was in for a lot of reps with the second team and seemed to get open a few times as I was keying on him but Hanie kept going to Davis, which bothered me because I want to see if these other guys can do anything. DA also had a tackle on a KR. Davis was in on a few special teams plays as well so the competition will continue.

I don't draw much from the first game especially with the young players. They are typically very nervous and unsure what to expect. Once they get a play or two you start to see what they can do. You can focus on the negatives but as long as those fade with experience they'll be ok. There were some positives tonight. Iglesias showed me a bit more speed on his KR than I thought he had and he had a nice TD reception along the back of the endzone. Knox also had a very nice PR, and made a nice move to get a first down on a quick out route. Rideau still looks a bit challenged with press coverage. All I saw from DA was that he appeared to get open sometimes but never got the ball, he had some good coverage on kick offs.

Everyone keeps saying, "It's just the first pre-season game!"

Except ALL last season our WR's were bad, and our secondary was god awful. We added two rookies for both: D.J. Moore and Alflava in the secondary, and Knox & Iglesias at WR.

My point is, we sucked at these two positions ALL last season. It would appear we're starting exactly where we left off.

Except ALL last season our WR's were bad, and our secondary was god awful. We added two rookies for both: D.J. Moore and Alflava in the secondary, and Knox & Iglesias at WR.

My point is, we sucked at these two positions ALL last season. It would appear we're starting exactly where we left off.

Precisely the reason to be nervous. I could see how adding Cutler would potentially make our WR's better but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Our secondary is terrible. Having Lovie calling the schemes made no difference. We need to spend some of that remaining cap cash adding talent at both spots or this season will go up in flames. (And I don't think there's anything available in free agency for the defense's needs.)

-Did Rideau and D.A even dress? Or was it just "everyone throw to Rashied Davis day"? I don't think either of those guys had a pass thrown to them all day and I may be wrong but I don't think they were on the field much at all. I also didn't notice Bennett in the game. The only two guys I really saw make plays were Davis and Hester... I think we will look better in the 2nd preseason game.

The thing I noticed from Rideau is that he runs slowwwwwwwwwww. Like I had to make sure he wasn't jogging or half assing it. On that weird throw from Hanie that went in between him and Davis, if he had any burst at all its a TD. Now I can see why he is not been given a chance, He really needs to step it up to make the team IMO.

Also realize that Buffalo was on their 2nd preseason game. So they were able to use some more complex defense designs compared to their basic coverages. The Bears were without Forte and Olsen, which is a significant amount of our offense. Looking at the replays, Buffalo had a bunch of players in coverage on almost every play.

I am actually more worried about our passing defense than anything else. Buffalo was putting on a clinic vs our defense.

Also realize that Buffalo was on their 2nd preseason game. So they were able to use some more complex defense designs compared to their basic coverages. The Bears were without Forte and Olsen, which is a significant amount of our offense. Looking at the replays, Buffalo had a bunch of players in coverage on almost every play.

I am actually more worried about our passing defense than anything else. Buffalo was putting on a clinic vs our defense.

Holding out Forte & Olsen was smart, bad turf in Buffalo, take no chances. It definitely hurt our Offense.

Holding out Harris and missing Bowman, Manning & Tillman was also smart and necessary but hurt our defense a lot.

I am disappointed in last nights game like every Bears' Fan, but I personally am not worried at this point.

On a side note, it looked like Baby Huey was getting pushed into the backfield every play from RT. If hes a dancer why isnt he playing LT while Pace probably less mobile now and would likely provide more service as a mauler.

Interesting point, but I don't think you'll see a switch this season for 2 reasons:

1. Do you really trust Williams to protect Cutler's blind-side? No way.

2. One of the stipulations with Pace agreeing to sign with us is that he was determined to continue playing LT. This may change after this season.

Im not putting too much stock into anything we see in the preseason, i never have. But i dont care what anyone says, we dont have a legitimate #2 WR on our roster let alone a #1.

Hester will be a good #2, but the other guys??? Yikes. I don't think Cutler can make his WR's better when they can't beat the jam and they can't get open.

If it's the same next week I'll worry

The only preseason game that means a damn is #3. It is the only one that they play the starters a significant amount of snaps and the only one they actually set up game plans for I believe. I am not even concerned if we win #3 as long as we are leading at the time our starters exit.

I hope the NFL is successful in trimming the preseason games to 2 and extending the regular season from 16 to 18 games. That would kick ass. These guys do not need 4 preseason games, IMHO.

As far as Matt Jones. Forget it. He's a punk. The Bears don't need someone like that. How about someone more centered and more a consumate professional ala Marvin Harrison? Heck I would be more inclined to go with Burress but think he is going to be residing elsewhere this year.

With regards to Cutler throwing to and preferring "large recievers" how can you say that when he (Cutler) was throwing to the likes of Eddie Royal (5'10" 180#) and Brandon Stokley (6' 0" 192#) and they both had pretty decent years? Marshall didn't carry the team last year although he did have a decent year. Maybe he would still like to be traded, although he too has his issues.

Like I said before, its time to relax and enjoy the Preseason.

The only preseason game that means a damn is #3. It is the only one that they play the starters a significant amount of snaps and the only one they actually set up game plans for I believe. I am not even concerned if we win #3 as long as we are leading at the time our starters exit.

I hope the NFL is successful in trimming the preseason games to 2 and extending the regular season from 16 to 18 games. That would kick ass. These guys do not need 4 preseason games, IMHO.

This

Agree Pix.

As far as Matt Jones, IMdO, we have a ton of possible WRs already on the team. If the coaches can't get production out of these guys, we need to boot the coaches, not go after Jones.

So your solution to this is go out and get Matt Jones who nobody seems to want? Keep in mind that not only was this our first preseason game but it was Buffalo's second. They did play in the HOF game against the Titans.

If you are going to get this keyed up after the first preseason game then you are going to drive yourself crazy.

The secondary with Tillman out and Manning out coupled with Bowman who has been raved about this season and you didn't see a glimpse of what the Bears will put on the field in GB.

IF the Bears get another WR, which I'm not sure is necessary at this point, it shouldn't be Matt Jones; it should be Marvin Harrison. He's a perfect underneath compliment to Hester. Harrison's routes are perfection, he can find the holes in zones, and his hands are still top ten in the league.

Everyone needs to settle down with the sky is falling garbage. And don't compare it to last year. The OL was complete garbage last year, which made Orton worse and the available routes for the WRs minimized. With a better OL, better QB, and better WRs, I'm confident that the Bears will start to polish their routes and plays, and surprise people this year.

What's REALLY concerning is how an average Bills' QB decimated the Bears' defense. Maybe the philosophy that allowed all the ridiculous passing games last year, from guys who aren't that great, was a little bit of Lovie rubbing off on the DC afterall.

IF the Bears get another WR, which I'm not sure is necessary at this point, it shouldn't be Matt Jones; it should be Marvin Harrison. He's a perfect underneath compliment to Hester. Harrison's routes are perfection, he can find the holes in zones, and his hands are still top ten in the league.

Everyone needs to settle down with the sky is falling garbage. And don't compare it to last year. The OL was complete garbage last year, which made Orton worse and the available routes for the WRs minimized. With a better OL, better QB, and better WRs, I'm confident that the Bears will start to polish their routes and plays, and surprise people this year.

What's REALLY concerning is how an average Bills' QB decimated the Bears' defense. Maybe the philosophy that allowed all the ridiculous passing games last year, from guys who aren't that great, was a little bit of Lovie rubbing off on the DC afterall.

Jason unfortunately Edwards is in his element right now. Last year at the beginning of the season the Bills started off like a house off fire and then fizzled at the end of the season. I hate to say it but we may be looking at a defense that is a tad overrated.

Exactly. Relax until then.

Peace :dabears

Precisely the reason to be nervous. I could see how adding Cutler would potentially make our WR's better but you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Our secondary is terrible. Having Lovie calling the schemes made no difference. We need to spend some of that remaining cap cash adding talent at both spots or this season will go up in flames. (And I don't think there's anything available in free agency for the defense's needs.)

MY GOD GUYS! it's PRE-season! I was anxious just like all bears fans and i too wanted to see some explosiveness from our offense with cutler at the helm, but it is preseason. We can go out and suck for the rest of the preseason and it means SQUAT! I'll leave all the pesimistic bears fans with one fact...THE DETROIT LIONS WERE UNDEFEATED IN THE PRE-SEASON LAST YEAR! NUFF SAID?

Agree Pix.

As far as Matt Jones, IMdO, we have a ton of possible WRs already on the team. If the coaches can't get production out of these guys, we need to boot the coaches, not go after Jones.

Agree as well. The most common thing heard is "get through the games without injuries." any key starters with even minor dings are going to be held out. Preseason is a glorified scrimmage and more for the backups to earn their spots and for GM's to evaluate who's worthy of a roster spot and who to send packing. As pointed out in other posts the only real significant game is #3 where the starters play extended time and teams actually game plan to an extent. It gives teams a chance to try some things and if they work great if they blow up that's ok to since at the end of the day it's just preseason. I'd rather see a shorter preseason and a longer regular season. I rarely put much stock in what happens in these games. Our offense looked pitiful the year we went to the super bowl. The 85 preseason wasn't that great either. We've had years where we went undefeated in the preseason and laid an egg during the season so it's really not a good barometer of how the season will go.

There's no need to panic an make a move to make a move. The offense is going to take time to get their timing down and gel. It's not going to be an instant fix. Just going out and signing someone on impulse is not wise. Let's see how things go and see what options become available I'd rather us be patient and bring in the right players.

I think we're all going to have to realize this offense is a work in progress. We have a QB who made it to the Pro Bowl last year but he's still young and still learning his craft, and he's learning an entirely new offense along with new receivers. I fully expect to see these type of mistakes well into the first quarter of the season. Of course I expect to see less and less of them but still we'll be seeing some INT's.

Guest TerraTor

not to beat a dead horse, but hearing our top two "WR's" speak makes me feel like an absolute genius, geez. what language are they speaking? Rashied davis droppsies in practice again of course. Good lord. Olsen this your time to shine Jersey Boy.