Well it started

GrizzlyBear

I thought my colleague Mike Mulligan said it best when he pointed out Tony Dungy and Mike Ditka have questioned the leadership ability of Jay Cutler, and the quarterback made the point worth pondering again in post-game remarks. Cutler was asked an innocuous question about what happened on the interception by Leodis McKelvin on an underthrown. Cutler appeared to throw off his back foot, and he pretty much implicated wide receiver Devin Hester.

"Devin is more of a go-get it guy, he is not really a back shoulder or jump up and get it [guy],'' Cutler said. "You learn from it. We made some mistakes. It's the first preseason game. Luckily enough, we have some time to correct them and keep going."

Say what you want about the quarterbacks that came before Cutler, and Kyle Orton's three-pick stinker Friday night in San Francisco said a lot on its own, but those guys never placed their receivers in front of the bus.

This statement came from the suntimes. When I read this it did not seem to me it was a throw under the bus statement. But then it would nt be Chicago if there was not some type of QB Controversy .

Mulligan is a shit-for-brains.

Devin is more of a go-get it guy, he is not really a back shoulder or jump up and get it [guy],'' Cutler said. I think that is a true statement and see nothing wrong with it. Devin is the type of WR you throw it so he can run under it as for him trying to be a jumper like larry Fitizgerald.

I have ZERO problem with Cutler's statement. I thought he could have been much harsher.

Hell, Hester used to be a cornerback for christ-sake and he can't make any effort to knock the ball down? That's unacceptable IMO.

Cutler was under pressure and chucked it up off his back foot. You can compare that to a "Rex-like" play, but Rex's ball wouldn't have came even close to Hester.

Yes, it was a bad play on Cutler's part, but Hester HAS to be better then that. This is the guy we expect to be our #1 WR?

This play, combined with the fact that I've never seen Hester make a spectacular catch, the kind that bails the QB out, is what convined me we need to go after Matt Jones.

His statement can be taken to mean that he is making the point that the type of throw he was trying to make wasn't to Hester's strength in that he as the QB should realize that and learn from it. He doesn't place the blame on Hester but rather on himself for putting his teammate in a bad spot.

I've re watched that play and when the ball gets there Hester is shielded from the play by the defender. IMO there was little Hester could have done to break it up. The ball was short the blame for that pick is solely on Cutler.

Jay knows that they need to work on it. Watching him I get the impression that he just needs to calm down. It looked like he was trying to hard to make things happen. If it's not there throw the check down. I have a feeling next Saturday will be a better showing.

I have ZERO problem with Cutler's statement. I thought he could have been much harsher.

Hell, Hester used to be a cornerback for christ-sake and he can't make any effort to knock the ball down? That's unacceptable IMO.

It also seemed to me an inocuous statement when I read it. And I agree, Hester should be more adapt at breking these things up given his previous status as DB.

Just media trying to find something to hype, IMdO.

I thought he was taking blame by stating what type of receiver Hester is (not leading him as a go-get it receiver).

He is not throwing him under the bus - and yes, Hester should've at least made an attempt to break up the INT.

Cutler was under pressure and chucked it up off his back foot. You can compare that to a "Rex-like" play, but Rex's ball wouldn't have came even close to Hester.

Yes, it was a bad play on Cutler's part, but Hester HAS to be better then that. This is the guy we expect to be our #1 WR?

This play, combined with the fact that I've never seen Hester make a spectacular catch, the kind that bails the QB out, is what convined me we need to go after Matt Jones.

You ask ANY #1WR in this league what you do in that situation and they will tell you if you have to grab the defender and pull him down, you do it to prevent him from catching it. Take the 15 yds. Hester was not shielded, he saw the ball in flight, he should know better. I am not exonerating Cutler from throwing it there but our WRs just seem so inept at times when it comes to instinct type plays like this one.

What spectacular plays has Matt Jones made? Hester has at least made some spectacular plays on kick returns. Matt Jones has done nothing spectacular which is why he was expendable to the Jaguars. Why not go after Charles Rogers he is trying to get back to the NFL and wants a second chance since we are mentioning dope fiend loser WRs?

I agree. Hence why I said Mulligan is a shit-for-brains. The media in general. They're trying to stir something up. I don't take issue with Cutler's statement at all. In fact, given this statement, I now don't even take issue with Cutler throwing that ball up there in the first preseason game. For all I know this guy may be just that friggen smart. Basically toss one up there, see what kind of chops Hester has in helping him out, and then breaking his balls for not making the play. And he didn't even go as rough on Hester as many who think Hester needs to do some growing up have gone on him. So... It could be an error that pays dividends down the road.

I hope.

I agree. Hence why I said Mulligan is a shit-for-brains. The media in general. They're trying to stir something up. I don't take issue with Cutler's statement at all. In fact, given this statement, I now don't even take issue with Cutler throwing that ball up there in the first preseason game. For all I know this guy may be just that friggen smart. Basically toss one up there, see what kind of chops Hester has in helping him out, and then breaking his balls for not making the play. And he didn't even go as rough on Hester as many who think Hester needs to do some growing up have gone on him. So... It could be an error that pays dividends down the road.

I hope.

I listen to Mully all the time. He is one of my favorite Bears analysts. Not sure why you have all this hate for Bears analysts. Don't you hate on Hub too? Mully is just doing his job and making an observation. I happen to not agree with him on this issue. It's a preseason game - no worries at this time.

Peace :dabears

I thought about all this for a day and finally came to the conclusion that I'm thankful we finally have a QB who will say what's on his mind. I'm sick and tired of athletes and coaches giving out run of the mill statements while on the other hand the media does all it can to split hairs and cause friction at the slightest sign of accoutability. These days you can create a template for a typical sports interview and article and just print it over and over again with different names. I'm not saying Cutler should always be blaming others for bad plays, absolutely not, but I don't see that here at all.

Cutler's statement is exactly what it is, he made a poor jump ball throw and acknowledged that he should know it's not Hester's strength, and he should. In between the words is the hint that, regardless of a bad throw, Hester should have fought more for the ball and that's exactly what's been said on the board here. I totally agree with both aspects. As long as Cutler calls himself out for making mistakes the end result will be more accountability instead of a mish mash of "we'll do better" statements.

Cutler's statement is exactly what it is, he made a poor jump ball throw and acknowledged that he should know it's not Hester's strength, and he should. In between the words is the hint that, regardless of a bad throw, Hester should have fought more for the ball and that's exactly what's been said on the board here. I totally agree with both aspects. As long as Cutler calls himself out for making mistakes the end result will be more accountability instead of a mish mash of "we'll do better" statements.

I agree, though I'm not even hearing the hint to Hester (that could certainly be most clearly expressed directly to Hester - no need for any hint - just say it, with tact). Seems pretty clear that Cutler was acknowledging that he threw to the wrong spot for Hester. The decision to throw to Hester in the first place would have terrible in a real game (Wolfe was open underneath). But now is the time to try things, and learn. So he tried putting one up there for Hester to go and get, and learned from it. Good. That's what game 1 of the preseason is for.

His statement can be taken to mean that he is making the point that the type of throw he was trying to make wasn't to Hester's strength in that he as the QB should realize that and learn from it. He doesn't place the blame on Hester but rather on himself for putting his teammate in a bad spot.

I've re watched that play and when the ball gets there Hester is shielded from the play by the defender. IMO there was little Hester could have done to break it up. The ball was short the blame for that pick is solely on Cutler.

Jay knows that they need to work on it. Watching him I get the impression that he just needs to calm down. It looked like he was trying to hard to make things happen. If it's not there throw the check down. I have a feeling next Saturday will be a better showing.

I have no problems with the statement. At least Cutler knows what type of receiver Hester is in the short period that they have been together. He also points out that THEY need to work on it. Nothing about throwing anyone under the bus. I think the media is trying to make a mountain out of a ant hill once again. Its almost like they want us to fail.

I have no problems with the statement. At least Cutler knows what type of receiver Hester is in the short period that they have been together. He also points out that THEY need to work on it. Nothing about throwing anyone under the bus. I think the media is trying to make a mountain out of a ant hill once again. Its almost like they want us to fail.

And how many of us honestly expected Cutler to go out there without Forte and Olsen and look great. He should have done better however if thats his bad game it still blows Orton/Rex out of the water doesn't it.

What's the media's favorite method of drawing interest, increasing ratings, selling papers? That's right drama and controversy, if they can get people riled up and stir the pot it sells papers. Doesn't have to be based on fact, speculation and reading into things is enough. As you said there's nothing in that statement about throwing someone under the bus. Yet they make it sound as though Cutler went out and blamed Hester. If anything he put the blame on himself and admitted that they need to work on it. The media loves to make something out of nothing they love to ride tide of dissent. How many articles etc were made out of the good Rex bad Rex. The media milks the cow till it's dried up and dead.