Cutler the Viper

xvflutop

If you have an ESPN Insider subscription, I highly recommend you check out David Fleming's essay on Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler's "split personality." Fleming describes Cutler as "an annoyed viper -- with a frat boy haircut and a slight double chin."

Consider this anecdote as evidence of the way Cutler approaches his job:

During Jay Cutler's first week of practice as the Bears' new quarterback, a rookie wide receiver dared to shag a few of his passes with just one hand. And even though this rookie, third-round pick Juaquin Iglesias, had been lectured a few times by coaches about the importance of proper technique, he was slow to break his annoying little habit. So when it happened again one afternoon, Cutler followed his pass upfield, darted toward Iglesias and screamed into his face mask: "If you ever do that again I will never throw another f--ing pass to you. EVER!"

Interesting. We'll have more on Cutler for you as his Sunday night return to Denver approaches.

ESPN North Blog

Thats freakin awesome!

more from the article:

"All I know is that receiver hasn't used anything less than two hands since," says Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner. "Look, Jay can be an intense person, a fierce competitor and a good guy, too. All the great ones have that mix. I see that in Jay, I really do. He better have it."

So a rookie is hot-dogging it and Cutler sets him straight. I love it. Cutler is the leader of the offense and needs to keep the offense accountable for their actions. I love the attitude.

Thats freakin awesome!

more from the article:

So a rookie is hot-dogging it and Cutler sets him straight. I love it. Cutler is the leader of the offense and needs to keep the offense accountable for their actions. I love the attitude.

I remember Tom Thayer talking about McMahon's first game. He walked in the huddle as a rookie and told everyone to "shut the fxxk up this is my huddle".

Peace :dabears

I remember Tom Thayer talking about McMahon's first game. He walked in the huddle as a rookie and told everyone to "shut the fxxk up this is my huddle".

Peace :dabears

Kinda like this:

McMahon brings some of that madness into the Bears' huddle. "We're loose," he says. "We get each other fired up." How? "My offensive linemen spit on me. I spit back. I come in screaming, 'Let's drive the [bleepin'] ball up their [bleep]!' "
from People Magazine, 1986: http://www.people.com/people/archive/artic...0092688,00.html

"During Jay Cutler's first week of practice as the Bears' new quarterback, a rookie wide receiver dared to shag a few of his passes with just one hand. And even though this rookie, third-round pick Juaquin Iglesias, had been lectured a few times by coaches about the importance of proper technique, he was slow to break his annoying little habit. So when it happened again one afternoon, Cutler followed his pass upfield, darted toward Iglesias and screamed into his face mask: "If you ever do that again I will never throw another f--ing pass to you. EVER!"

Now, it's not exactly a secret that Cutler can be a first-class a-hole. This is a guy who didn't let his under-.500 record as Broncos starter stop him from claiming to have a stronger arm than John Elway; who made a public show of dressing down rookie receiver Eddie Royal late last season, yet took little responsibility for the team's 0-3 finish that cost it a playoff spot; who threw a breath-holding grocery-store hissy fit to force his way out of Denver when new coach Josh McDaniels dared to dangle him as trade bait. Still, Iglesias wondered, was Cutler really going ballistic over a couple of lazy catches during OTAs -- in May?

Iglesias checked his shorts. Then the rookie looked at his teammates and back to the equally stunned coaches to see if Cutler was putting him on. He was not, and just to be clear, the quarterback shot Iglesias one more look. It was the raging, flushed visage of utter disdain. When Cutler gets this way, and he gets this way often, he looks a bit like an annoyed viper -- with a frat boy haircut and a slight double chin. Of course, it's also a look that gets results. "All I know is that receiver hasn't used anything less than two hands since," says Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner. "Look, Jay can be an intense person, a fierce competitor and a good guy, too. All the great ones have that mix. I see that in Jay, I really do. He better have it.""

I absolutely love it! If you look at our team, the 3 undisputed leaders are the 3 biggest assholes on the team. (Url, Olin and Cutler) I just wish we a DL like Hampton or McMichael. Singletary once said, if they ever lost they would have to form a wall to prevent McMichael from getting loose in the locker room. (Press, coaches, players) No one was safe from the wrath.

What I've seen from Cutler, I love. I know these type of personalities can go overboard. IE: Parcells, Bob Knight come to mind. I really hope Cutler keeps it under control, as he'll get a little more lax in his self control as he gets older and more comfortable in his environment. He's still in the honeymoon phase with this team. Just sayin, he'll have to exercise caution and he'll have to back it up.

I'm not seeing a problem here. When was the last time we had a leader on offense that would tell others to shut up and do their job right? We had Kruetz who punched Fred Miller and broke his jaw and that wasn't even related to football and he's still considered a team leader. Why? Recall the story about Kreutz staying after a training camp practice to help an undrafted rookie with his technique. You can be a demanding prick on the football field if your work ethic and performance warrant it. When Peyton Manning does the same thing nobody questions him, and I've seen him criticize players on the sideline. Of course I don't know what's said or how it's said but I don't think Manning to his high level of play without hurting some feelings. Cutler is far from Manning's resume but it's a fact he put in a lot of extra work this offseason with the WRs and coaches. This isn't selfishness, it isn't moodiness, it isn't arrogance, it's creating a high expectation for how things get done. He has to hold himself to the same high standard too. It's how you succeed.

Okay, I have a couple questions here before we take this as fact.

One. Why are we only today hearing about this story, which came the first week of camp? ESPN has a guy at camp doing a daily blog, as well as constant twitter updates, and there was never a mention of this happening. And it isn't like he has been sugar coating the news, as he has mentioned numerous fights and arguments. Further, every practice has loads of other local and national media, and yet we have never heard about this? This is not a small thing either. If you buy the story, it was the sort of thing that literally shuts down practice for a period of time, as Cutler ran across the field to get in the rookie's face. Yet something as big as this goes completely unreported?

Two. I do not know this as fact, but David Fleming is a senior writer for ESPN mag, and I do not think he is actually attending our camp. His info is most likely 2nd hand.

Three. Flemming already had a negative opinion of Cutler. He says Cutler is a first class A-hole, and says its not a secret as if it is fact. Read how he talks about Cutler departing Denver, and how he puts the whole thing on Cutler. So here is a writer who already had a very negative opinion of Cutler, and he writes a negative article about him using a story which apparantly no other attending camp actually witnessed?

Four. In a recent blog from someone who was actually at camp, there is a piece about Cutler throwing to Olsen, who made a one handed grab for a score. After that, on the sidelines, Cutler was laughing w/ Olsen saying asking if he had to make every grab one handed and look spectacular. Cutler found humor in Olsen's one handed grab, and joked about it, yet in this story it comes off like Cutler could care less about the catch being made, but only cares about how it is made.

I agree w/ others that even if the story is true, it is not nearly as bad as the writer makes out, but I have to be honest, I really question the validity of the story itself. More than anything, w/ all the cameras and reporters at camp who have reported every small pushing match or altercation, it is really hard to believe that something as big and practice halting as this totally flew under the radar.

One. Why are we only today hearing about this story, which came the first week of camp?

The story is apparently from OTA's. Read the bigger snip from the article above. And he has a confirming quote from Ron Turner. I think it happened and... I THINK IT'S GREAT. I want an asshole at QB as long as he gets results and rewards guys for accomplishments. Not Cade McNown who was just an asshole, but a real leader who understand the carrot and the stick.

The last QB a-hole that could play and lead, led us to a nearly perfect season and won a Super Bowl...

Sign me up!

The story is apparently from OTA's. Read the bigger snip from the article above. And he has a confirming quote from Ron Turner. I think it happened and... I THINK IT'S GREAT. I want an asshole at QB as long as he gets results and rewards guys for accomplishments. Not Cade McNown who was just an asshole, but a real leader who understand the carrot and the stick.

One. Why are we only today hearing about this story, which came the first week of camp? ESPN has a guy at camp doing a daily blog, as well as constant twitter updates, and there was never a mention of this happening. And it isn't like he has been sugar coating the news, as he has mentioned numerous fights and arguments. Further, every practice has loads of other local and national media, and yet we have never heard about this? This is not a small thing either. If you buy the story, it was the sort of thing that literally shuts down practice for a period of time, as Cutler ran across the field to get in the rookie's face. Yet something as big as this goes completely unreported?

Two. I do not know this as fact, but David Fleming is a senior writer for ESPN mag, and I do not think he is actually attending our camp. His info is most likely 2nd hand.

Three. Flemming already had a negative opinion of Cutler. He says Cutler is a first class A-hole, and says its not a secret as if it is fact. Read how he talks about Cutler departing Denver, and how he puts the whole thing on Cutler. So here is a writer who already had a very negative opinion of Cutler, and he writes a negative article about him using a story which apparantly no other attending camp actually witnessed?

Four. In a recent blog from someone who was actually at camp, there is a piece about Cutler throwing to Olsen, who made a one handed grab for a score. After that, on the sidelines, Cutler was laughing w/ Olsen saying asking if he had to make every grab one handed and look spectacular. Cutler found humor in Olsen's one handed grab, and joked about it, yet in this story it comes off like Cutler could care less about the catch being made, but only cares about how it is made.

I agree w/ others that even if the story is true, it is not nearly as bad as the writer makes out, but I have to be honest, I really question the validity of the story itself. More than anything, w/ all the cameras and reporters at camp who have reported every small pushing match or altercation, it is really hard to believe that something as big and practice halting as this totally flew under the radar.

OMFG, Nfo! Have you been drinking at the :grassy knoll" again?

Funny you should mention, as I did actually have lunch (beer included) at a place close to the grassy knoll.

Actually, I guess I was off on this one. I was under the impression this was from camp, but it was then pointed out it took place during OTAs, which does not have near the media coverage, and I think some practices may in fact be restricted.

Oh well. Win some lose some.

OMFG, Nfo! Have you been drinking at the :grassy knoll" again?

Funny you should mention, as I did actually have lunch (beer included) at a place close to the grassy knoll.

Actually, I guess I was off on this one. I was under the impression this was from camp, but it was then pointed out it took place during OTAs, which does not have near the media coverage, and I think some practices may in fact be restricted.

Oh well. Win some lose some.

That is simply epic! LOL