Cards vs. Packers feedback

AZ54

Got some free tickets for the Cards game so I decided to take in a game. Realizing it's only preseason but this is typically the best preseason effort of the first string here's some of my thoughts on the first half of the game and what it might mean for us in game 1. The final score of the game doesn't indicate all that happened.

Green Bay defense vs. Cards offense

Packers liked bringing pressure especially up the middle. Sometimes they were very effective but often this was due to the Cards WR running some deep routes and Warner had nowhere to throw. That and/or Warner held the ball too long on some plays instead of hitting the quick dump off. Overall Warner was pretty bad, seemed out of sync. I think our Oline is better than the Cards Oline but given pressure up the middle Cutler is much better at rolling out of the pocket than Warner. In fact, if they show these looks I expect Turner will call plenty of rollouts to counter it. Forte is also better at picking up pressure than Hightower.

Cards WRs were able to get open. Now they have a better receiving corps than we do and clearly they were respecting Fitzgerald. I think the Packers have a decent secondary but they consistently found openings in the coverage underneath among the LBs. In fact the Cards TE was open all night. They had several huge gains with the TE running up the middle. Their TEs are nothing like Greg Olsen so I think Olsen will have a good game against GB.

Cards were able to consistently run the ball. Packers had some stops for no-gain but for everyone of those it seemed the RB got two gains of 7-10 yards. Most of that was Tim Hightower and he isn't fast or quick. Forte would fare even better if given the same holes. While the first half score doesn't incidate it, if the Cards didn't make some stupid mistakes (Warner fumble on a scramble) they likely would have matched GB on the score board.

Green Bay offense vs. Cards defense.

Cards D is pretty bad and Green Bay offense is pretty good. Jennings went down on his first catch with a head injury but walked off the field. The Cards D got dealt some bad hands with turnovers from the offense but they never once stopped the Packers. This game was decided before halftime with the Packers up 31-10 or something like that and put up about 350 yards in the half, 100 of that on the ground. There was little pass rush putting pressure on Rodgers. Cards secondary bit on some plays fakes and gave up long TD passes which is what they did all last season.

Given the issues in our secondary I'd expect similar problems so we better have a good pass rush when we play them. We'll need to score quite a few points to beat Green Bay but from what I saw we'll be able to mount some long drives. We just need to avoid the turnovers.

Got some free tickets for the Cards game so I decided to take in a game. Realizing it's only preseason but this is typically the best preseason effort of the first string here's some of my thoughts on the first half of the game and what it might mean for us in game 1. The final score of the game doesn't indicate all that happened.

Green Bay defense vs. Cards offense

Packers liked bringing pressure especially up the middle. Sometimes they were very effective but often this was due to the Cards WR running some deep routes and Warner had nowhere to throw. That and/or Warner held the ball too long on some plays instead of hitting the quick dump off. Overall Warner was pretty bad, seemed out of sync. I think our Oline is better than the Cards Oline but given pressure up the middle Cutler is much better at rolling out of the pocket than Warner. In fact, if they show these looks I expect Turner will call plenty of rollouts to counter it. Forte is also better at picking up pressure than Hightower.

I agree with this we are a better running and blocking team

Cards WRs were able to get open. Now they have a better receiving corps than we do and clearly they were respecting Fitzgerald. I think the Packers have a decent secondary but they consistently found openings in the coverage underneath among the LBs. In fact the Cards TE was open all night. They had several huge gains with the TE running up the middle. Their TEs are nothing like Greg Olsen so I think Olsen will have a good game against GB.

We have Hester and they will respect him deep so Olsen and the slot WR will be open all day.

Cards were able to consistently run the ball. Packers had some stops for no-gain but for everyone of those it seemed the RB got two gains of 7-10 yards. Most of that was Tim Hightower and he isn't fast or quick. Forte would fare even better if given the same holes. While the first half score doesn't incidate it, if the Cards didn't make some stupid mistakes (Warner fumble on a scramble) they likely would have matched GB on the score board.

We run the ball great which keep them off balance so Cutler can roll out or throw from the pocket to use our WR to keep drives alive

Green Bay offense vs. Cards defense.

Cards D is pretty bad and Green Bay offense is pretty good. Jennings went down on his first catch with a head injury but walked off the field. The Cards D got dealt some bad hands with turnovers from the offense but they never once stopped the Packers. This game was decided before halftime with the Packers up 31-10 or something like that and put up about 350 yards in the half, 100 of that on the ground. There was little pass rush putting pressure on Rodgers. Cards secondary bit on some plays fakes and gave up long TD passes which is what they did all last season.

We stop the run great and will force Rodgers to the air which will give us time to make plays in the D backfield

Given the issues in our secondary I'd expect similar problems so we better have a good pass rush when we play them. We'll need to score quite a few points to beat Green Bay but from what I saw we'll be able to mount some long drives. We just need to avoid the turnovers.

We play a cover two which prevents the long pass plays.

Rodgers looked good but they have no running game to speak of. We need to get an early lead and keep the pressure on Rodgers. We'll have the advantage of them not being 100% with their new defense but they'll have the advantage of us having very little film on it. However, it looks pretty vanilla 3-4 at this point and the talent they have on D isn't perfectly suited for playing the 3-4.

They have excellent WR's so it'll be important to have as many healthy corners back by then as possible. Any word on Nut?