Bowman and Manning to play vs the Browns

Wesson44

Getting Zack Bowman and Danieal Manning back on the field before the start of the regular season is a priority for the Bears and both are scheduled to play in Thursday night's exhibition finale against Cleveland.

As they have nursed hamstring injuries, neither has played in the team's first three exhibitions. It remains unclear how much the two are expected to play at Soldier Field, although Manning is likely to see time at nickel back and not free safety.

"We're going to be together at the right time," Manning said of the secondary after Sunday's game. "I know we will be ready for the regular season. I don't feel like [the defensive backs] are going to be the weak link. I know the talent we have. I know how hungry we are."

Veteran Charles Tillman will not play in the final exhibition as he recovers from back surgery. It remains unclear whether he will return for the Sept. 13 opener at Green Bay, although Tillman could be removed from the physically-unable-to-perform list at any time.

Jinx time? Now the Bears have to beat the Sports Illustrated jinx too.

In its NFL preview edition to hit newsstands Wednesday, SI picks the Bears to win the NFC North. It explains how the Bears have changed their offense in a feature story written by Lee Jenkins, but also cautions fans not to put too much stock in the Bears having the NFL's easiest schedule.

"Thank the Lions for that strength-of-schedule ranking, but in truth Chicago faces some potential pitfalls," Jenkins writes. "Fans who expect Jay Cutler to come out blazing may be disappointed when he's tested by two strong pass defenses at the outset. Later the Bears visit San Francisco in a short week, facing a team eager to make coach Mike Singletary look good against his old club on national TV."

By the way, Packers fans shouldn't get too upset: Aaron Rodgers is on the cover.

New face: Veteran cornerback Rod Hood, who signed a one-year deal with the Bears, participated in his first practice with his new team Tuesday. He also could be a nickel back.

"They really haven't told me what's expected," Hood said. "I know they want me to come in and compete and be aggressive."

Extra points: Devin Hester sat out practice but said it was just rest. Israel Idonije (hamstring), Henry Melton (ankle) and Kellen Davis (undisclosed) also sat out. ... Coach Lovie Smith didn't totally rule out bringing back nose tackle Dusty Dvoracek, who suffered a season-ending ACL tear and has been waived. ... To make room for Hood, the Bears released receiver Derek Kinder, a rookie seventh-round pick.

Guest TerraTor
No jinx, they have us losing!

Outside of depth, why is anyone concerned(happy) about Manning's return to the secondary? He was by far the worst player on the defense. Ok so he was the best KO returner in the league last year, thought we already had that guy..."

Outside of depth, why is anyone concerned(happy) about Manning's return to the secondary? He was by far the worst player on the defense. Ok so he was the best KO returner in the league last year, thought we already had that guy..."

My bet is Payne and Afalava starting and Manning as the nickel

I really only like him at nickel. And I actually really like him a lot there. But that's it.

I like Manning a lot at Nickel and I like what I've seen from the Payne/AFalava combo. I know both are young but in total I think this gets our best combo of players on the field at the same time. I think this has become more likely as Tillman's return is a bit in question. I'd rather give Tillman another week or two to fully heal up and get ready rather than lose him for the year because he came back to soon. That means we put Manning at nickel and Graham at CB along with Bowman. Vasher becomes one very expensive backup. When Tillman returns we have Graham as backup nickel or CB and Vasher behind him. Manning remains first backup at safety.