Who should we bring in for a look?

defiantgiant

So it's cutdown time. Who do we bring in for a look? Here are some guys I'm thinking about:

Maurice Evans/Robert Henderson, DEs, Giants (Evans - 6'2" 264 lbs.; Henderson - 6'3" 278 lbs.)

- The Giants cut Evans and Henderson...they've got a surplus of DEs already, and it's not like it'd be easy to beat Justin Tuck, Osi, or any of those other guys for a roster spot. Evans has a bunch of question marks - poor 40 at the combine, got arrested once for pot possession - but his 2007 season makes me think he should get a shot. He racked up 12.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for a loss. Henderson has the measurables, and in his 33 college starts at RE, he had 29.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. I'd be OK with letting either of these two have a shot at Melton's roster spot.

Ronald Curry, WR, Rams (6'2" 210 lbs.)

- Curry can play both in the slot and outside, and he has a lot more experience than any of our WRs. If he's fully healthy, he's still probably good for something around 50 catches and 700 yards. He's a relatively big target, and I could see the Bears giving him a shot to make the roster, maybe over Rashied Davis. Also, Curry was a very good QB in high school and college. If the Bears decide to save a roster spot and only carry 2 quarterbacks, Curry could be the emergency QB.

Isaac Redman, RB, Steelers (6' 230 lbs.)

- Redman could be worth a look as a short-yardage back. He's powerful and never stops driving with his legs after contact. He definitely isn't the fastest back (4.64 in the 40) but he was money in the red zone during preseason, and the reports out of Steelers camp were that their first-team defense couldn't stop him at ALL in goal-line drills. He made a big impression in camp, but Pittsburgh has a logjam ahead of him at the RB position. With Kevin Jones out for the season, I could see the Bears giving Redman a look.

Jameel Dowling, CB, Cardinals (6'3" 205 lbs.)

- Dowling has great size, decent (4.4 to 4.5) speed for a Cover 2 corner, and apparently has pretty sound technique. Given how bad the bottom of our depth chart at corner looks (coughMCBRIDEcough) it could be worth bringing him in for a workout. As an added bonus, he has some experience at free safety. It's unsurprising that the Cards cut him; they're in great shape at CB, with McFadden and DRC as the starters and Antrel Rolle moving to CB in the nickel.

...so those are my thoughts. Who do you guys think we should look at?

Redman for sure I been touting him since I read on Nfl.com they(pitt) were trying to hide him by not releasing thier cut roster. Big Runs with Suthority and would be a great Goal line and Clean up back for For the Bears.

Dowling wouldnt hurt, But to be honest I saw him play here, he may have issues in wrapping guys up , for his size he appeared soft. But that was a Impression I get, I maybe wrong But he did look another McBride, but taller.

Redman for sure I been touting him since I read on Nfl.com they(pitt) were trying to hide him by not releasing thier cut roster. Big Runs with Suthority and would be a great Goal line and Clean up back for For the Bears.

Dowling wouldnt hurt, But to be honest I saw him play here, he may have issues in wrapping guys up , for his size he appeared soft. But that was a Impression I get, I maybe wrong But he did look another McBride, but taller.

That's unfortunate about Dowling. We definitely don't need another DB who can't tackle.

If the Bears don't look at Redman, Jehuu Caulcrick would be another potential short-yardage back. The Jets just cut him (no shame in not making that roster, with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and now Shonn Greene ahead of him) and he could definitely help in short-yardage situations. He's 6'0" and 255-260 pounds. The Jets tried moving him to fullback, but I think that might have been the wrong position. By all accounts, he's a runner, not a lead blocker. The guy was a monster goal-line RB at Michigan State...he had 21 TDs in his senior season alone.

I kinda like the idea of Curry. But here are a few other names of interest. I see that RB Avieon Cason was released from Detroit. From the reading it is thought that he historically is a strong ST contributer. Another I saw is former Notre Dame standout and now former Bronco RB Darius Walker. There is something about him that has been missed since he came to the NFL. I personally think it is his untapped potential. Lastly and speaking of intriguing how about one hit wonder WR David Tyree? He might not be a bad option considering he comes from the Giants organization. One that was rife and bloated with young talent at WR.

I kinda like the idea of Curry. But here are a few other names of interest. I see that RB Avieon Cason was released from Detroit. From the reading it is thought that he historically is a strong ST contributer. Another I saw is former Notre Dame standout and now former Bronco RB Darius Walker. There is something about him that has been missed since he came to the NFL. I personally think it is his untapped potential. Lastly and speaking of intriguing how about one hit wonder WR David Tyree? He might not be a bad option considering he comes from the Giants organization. One that was rife and bloated with young talent at WR.

I would agree with all But Tyree, he has been injured most of the preseason and did not appear to be getting any better, I would avoid him based on that.

I would agree with all But Tyree, he has been injured most of the preseason and did not appear to be getting any better, I would avoid him based on that.

The Packers just cut Ruvell Martin. I'd rather bring him in than David Tyree. Martin's 6'4" and 220 pounds, and he's a pretty decent receiver, there's just a ton of talent ahead of him. They also cut Anthony Smith, formerly of the Steelers, who might be able to help us out at safety.

Brian Williams got cut by the Jaguars. If we are at all uncertain about the CB position, he's a veteran who's been a playmaker most of his career and can probably step right into the Cover 2. I'd take him over McBride.

Also, Brian Brohm was released by the Packers (making those of who loved him a few years ago feel a little sheepish). I'd rather see him on the practice squad than Bazanez.

Why should we look sheepish. Just because we were upset we took that damn RB in the 2nd round instead of Brohm. What was the 2nd round RBs name again. Slips my mind.

Brian Williams got cut by the Jaguars. If we are at all uncertain about the CB position, he's a veteran who's been a playmaker most of his career and can probably step right into the Cover 2. I'd take him over McBride.

Also, Brian Brohm was released by the Packers (making those of who loved him a few years ago feel a little sheepish). I'd rather see him on the practice squad than Bazanez.

If we're going to keep a bad QB on the team at least keep the one who knows the offense.