The fake punt

jason

I don't care if there are 22 players on defense, you don't make that call in that situation. The Bears were up by two, had a slight edge in momentum, and basically gave a field goal away.

To be quite honest, the Bears defense - minus one play - did a great job tonight. With one Cutler INT leading to what amounted to a two yard "TD drive" by the Packers, and the fake punt leading to a gimme field goal, it's a game the Bears should have won. They put in the requisite effort, but the offense shit the bed and is almost completely responsible for the loss.

Not a great start, but there is definitely a silver lining to all of this. If the Bears' O, ST, and coaching doesn't completely blow it tonight, then Vasher is never in that situation. Speaking of which...where the hell was the safety support on that play? Oh right...up near the OL for some unknown reason (read: bad coaching).

I'm not worried, guys. I think the team learns from this, comes back stronger, and does well the rest of the season.

The fake punt was all on Mannelly. He was interviewed after the game and said he thought there were 12 men on the field. They have an audible for that situation. Mannelly admitted he blew it.

That one is not on the coaches.

Peace :dabears

I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I didn't say it was coaching, just that it was a bad call. I meant, "bad call on Mannelly's part." It was completely boneheaded to get cute in that situation. The pinched in safety on the game-losing TD pass, however, looks like coaching.

But the challenge loss and loss of a TO are on the coaches. There was ample time for someone upstairs to see it. I initially thought when he threw the flag, someone upstairs dialed it in!

And let's be honest. I could care less how many men are on that field...when the game is this tight you do not authorize that audible. You say, no matter what, kick it. So, I still blame the coaches. Who coached Mannelly?

The fake punt was all on Mannelly. He was interviewed after the game and said he thought there were 12 men on the field. They have an audible for that situation. Mannelly admitted he blew it.

That one is not on the coaches.

But the challenge loss and loss of a TO are on the coaches. There was ample time for someone upstairs to see it. I initially thought when he threw the flag, someone upstairs dialed it in!

And let's be honest. I could care less how many men are on that field...when the game is this tight you do not authorize that audible. You say, no matter what, kick it. So, I still blame the coaches. Who coached Mannelly?

i think there is a time and place for something like that call but certainly not when the penalty, if enforced, will not give you a first down or if it's desperation time and your behind with time running out.

but... in that situation 11 yds is like a freakin mile especially when the receiving team is clogging up the line before the punt and the play called is to run the ball. it was a stupid call especially when he waited as long as he did to snap it once he signaled the change. time was of the essence at that point and the guy was off the field 1-2 seconds before the ball was even snapped.

The guys the best long-snapper in the league. He's a very smart guy who made a mistake trying to be smart. I was freakin livid at the time, but the guy is the best in the biz and this is literally the first mistake he's ever made in his career.

You guys that are blaming coaching, etc, give me a break.

1. i don't have a problem with mannely. this guy is one of if not THE best special teams long snapper in the nfl. but no matter how you cut it it was a stupid play 'especially' when he waited to snap the ball. that said i'm sure he has learned a lot from this instance and i don't look for any future problems from him.

2. if lovie had no part in it, and it appears he didn't if mannely is to be believed, that is fine and good, BUT... to throw a flag in that situation without consulting the booth is inexcusable. this COULD have led to critical mass at the end of a very close game. this is not the first time that smith has abused red flags or timeouts and in my opinion he is atrocious controlling the clock before half time or at the end of games just like jauron.

1. i don't have a problem with mannely. this guy is one of if not THE best special teams long snapper in the nfl. but no matter how you cut it it was a stupid play 'especially' when he waited to snap the ball. that said i'm sure he has learned a lot from this instance and i don't look for any future problems from him.

OMG! So what! So he learned something! Shouldn't he have learned that already from coaching? Or perhaps common sense? Greg Olsen learned something from his two fumble game last year too. Don't fumble. Too late though, he'd already cost us a game in a season in which we missed the playoffs by one win.

2. if lovie had no part in it, and it appears he didn't if mannely is to be believed, that is fine and good, BUT... to throw a flag in that situation without consulting the booth is inexcusable. this COULD have led to critical mass at the end of a very close game. this is not the first time that smith has abused red flags or timeouts and in my opinion he is atrocious controlling the clock before half time or at the end of games just like jauron.

I agree 100% but think a better, more savvy QB, will make him look better at this.

OMG! So what! So he learned something! Shouldn't he have learned that already from coaching? Or perhaps common sense? Greg Olsen learned something from his two fumble game last year too. Don't fumble. Too late though, he'd already cost us a game in a season in which we missed the playoffs by one win.

so what, what? i don't get what you want. i said the guy screwed up major so what is your final determination?

fire him? cut off his hands? have him put to death?

so what, what? i don't get what you want. i said the guy screwed up major so what is your final determination?

fire him? cut off his hands? have him put to death?

How about holding him and the coaching staff accountable, for starters. It's always, "Dang, we could've beat the Texans and we'd be in the playoffs. Awe shucks. That Lovie is sure a nice guy."

Bullshit.

How about holding him and the coaching staff accountable, for starters. It's always, "Dang, we could've beat the Texans and we'd be in the playoffs. Awe shucks. That Lovie is sure a nice guy."

Bullshit.

Bye the way, Lucky, I was basically agreeing with you but it didn't come across that way. I was just trying to make your points with a little more vinegar.

The guys the best long-snapper in the league. He's a very smart guy who made a mistake trying to be smart. I was freakin livid at the time, but the guy is the best in the biz and this is literally the first mistake he's ever made in his career.

You guys that are blaming coaching, etc, give me a break.

How can you NOT blame coaching for a part of the loss? At the very least, the most important play of the game was bad coaching.

You do not, DO NOT, pull the safety for run support when you are nursing a lead with a minute left. You make the other team beat you by small chunks, eat the clock, and force them into the mistake when they HAVE to go deeper than they'd like. You don't open the window for the long play, especially when the support is provided from behind a DB whose coverage has been dubious at best over the last two years or so.

Bye the way, Lucky, I was basically agreeing with you but it didn't come across that way. I was just trying to make your points with a little more vinegar.

ok then. i agreed that he was at fault (unless it's determined otherwise) with a stupid call and a worse execution of it at that. it was a major turning point in the game.

i just had to give this guy the credit he is due as a top player in the nfl which he is and haven't heard much about him in his years in chicago, which is a good thing to hear/not hear about offensive linemen.

i just had to give this guy the credit he is due as a top player in the nfl which he is and haven't heard much about him in his years in chicago, which is a good thing to hear/not hear about offensive linemen.

I said the same. He is a top notch special teamer that just blew a play. It happens.

I'm pretty sure it was the booth or someone that messed up. I completely agree with you though, if Lovie just threw the flag without consulting thats stupid cause that is a challenge you should never lose.