It was coaching!

CrackerDog

Cutler may have had opening night gitters but I think he the coaching staff failed to prepare him for the 3/4 defense. He looked bewildered.

Lovie's two challenges were ridiculous.

The fake punt was a player mistake but this is a vet of what, 15 years? They put that quick snap in there but apparently they never coached him on when not to use it. The Packers 12 man was on the sideline for a few seconds before that snap.

Halftime adjustments were just fine. With Urlacher out I expected to lose by 21. We were winning until a minute left. But why in the world aren't we READY for the team we play in game one this year? We were ready for the Colts last season!

And Tillman played and was just fine, as I predicted.

Vasher sucks.

We play a much better team next week, even without Troy out there. And we're already banged up.

If this offense can't get it's shit together in the FIRST half of a game, damn quick, and if this defense can't close out a game with a win (remind anyone of last season?) then the coaches ALL need to be fired. And starting with Ron Turner would make me happy. I hate losing to the Packers and I really hate it when we had so many chances to score in the first half and just pissed them all away. Fricken incredible.

X takes the square! I posted my rant before reading your post!

Cutler may have had opening night gitters but I think he the coaching staff failed to prepare him for the 3/4 defense. He looked bewildered.

The fake punt was a player mistake but this is a vet of what, 15 years? They put that quick snap in there but apparently they never coached him on when not to use it. The Packers 12 man was on the sideline for a few seconds before that snap.

Halftime adjustments were just fine. With Urlacher out I expected to lose by 21. We were winning until a minute left. But why in the world aren't we READY for the team we play in game one this year? We were ready for the Colts last season!

Vasher sucks.

We play a much better team next week, even without Troy out there. And we're already banged up.

If this offense can't get it's shit together in the FIRST half of a game, damn quick, and if this defense can't close out a game with a win (remind anyone of last season?) then the coaches ALL need to be fired. And starting with Ron Turner would make me happy. I hate losing to the Packers and I really hate it when we had so many chances to score in the first half and just pissed them all away. Fricken incredible.

Mannelly took all the blame on the fake punt. He knows when to use it. He thought there were 12 men on the field. He admitted he screwed the pooch.

Peace :dabears

Mannelly took all the blame on the fake punt. He knows when to use it. He thought there were 12 men on the field. He admitted he screwed the pooch.

I just think that is something you never do on your own half of the field (or when you are winning for that matter).

I am usually the first to bash our coaches, especially Lovie, but I just can't do it here.

On offense, I think you really have to look square at the players. Cutler is taking all the heat, and deserves plenty, but our WRs were also dropping balls left and right, and overall simply not playing well. If it was just Knox or Bennett, you might wright it off to inexperience, but Clark and Olsen looked like crap too. You might say that still falls on coaching, but you can only coach so much, particularly w/ veterans. At some point, the players need to go out and execute. They didn't.

On defense, while there was a broken play here and there, particularly at the end, I think few expected our defense to hold GB as we did. We lost one starting LB in the 1st series, and our pro bowl MLB in the 1st half, and yet still held GB in check.

I don't say this often, but I think our coaches deserve some props. Yea, there were some flat out bad decisions, but that can be said of EVERY coach for EVERY game. Overall though, I think our coaches did a good job of putting players in a position to win, but the players simply failed.

Vasher sucks.

You guys are being ridiculous. See my post in the other thread and I've been a Lovie basher. I realize this game was a huge dissapointment and we should have won it, but I can't put the blame on Lovie. In fact, I walk away from this game pretty happy because the defense played great against one of the best offenses in the league.

The offense needs worked but I still felt it looked pretty good, despite all the picks. A lot of what happened is fixable and I expected growing pains given Cutler's inexperience in the offense and his inexperience with our WR's (who are also inexperienced).

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Marvin Harrison brought in.

Hell, I can even look at Turner and say, good job, you calmed down Cutler and got shit together in the 2nd half. I saw a lot to like, but I wonder if the WR position will be okay. We knew if we were going to have enough weapons on O, it would be because of Clark/Olsen and they were both awful. Bennett grew, Knox had some good and bad, and Hester looks a lot better. I just think we need a veteran who Cutler can look to on 3rd downs.

I am usually the first to bash our coaches, especially Lovie, but I just can't do it here.

On offense, I think you really have to look square at the players. Cutler is taking all the heat, and deserves plenty, but our WRs were also dropping balls left and right, and overall simply not playing well. If it was just Knox or Bennett, you might wright it off to inexperience, but Clark and Olsen looked like crap too. You might say that still falls on coaching, but you can only coach so much, particularly w/ veterans. At some point, the players need to go out and execute. They didn't.

On defense, while there was a broken play here and there, particularly at the end, I think few expected our defense to hold GB as we did. We lost one starting LB in the 1st series, and our pro bowl MLB in the 1st half, and yet still held GB in check.

I don't say this often, but I think our coaches deserve some props. Yea, there were some flat out bad decisions, but that can be said of EVERY coach for EVERY game. Overall though, I think our coaches did a good job of putting players in a position to win, but the players simply failed.

I agree and I AM the biggest Lovie basher here. To lay this at his feet is silly. This goes to Turner, Cutler and the receiving corps, nate vasher, Patrick Mannely AND Frank Omiyale. THOSE are the true culprits. THEY cost us this game. I'm pretty happy with what I saw defenively from us last night. Afalava and Payne are going to be 2 bright spots this year.

You guys are being ridiculous. See my post in the other thread and I've been a Lovie basher. I realize this game was a huge dissapointment and we should have won it, but I can't put the blame on Lovie. In fact, I walk away from this game pretty happy because the defense played great against one of the best offenses in the league.

Who says so? The "experts". Based on what? Rodgers didn't suck in the preseason. They were 6-10 last year when the games counted. They have great receivers but a shit RB and a butcher at one tackle position who Ogun abused all night long. Ogun isn't that good and the Packers aren't a special team. In our division, only the Vikings look that solid to me at this point and they've only proven it against the Clowns.

The offense needs worked but I still felt it looked pretty good, despite all the picks. A lot of what happened is fixable and I expected growing pains given Cutler's inexperience in the offense and his inexperience with our WR's (who are also inexperienced).

Hell, I can even look at Turner and say, good job, you calmed down Cutler and got shit together in the 2nd half. I saw a lot to like, but I wonder if the WR position will be okay. We knew if we were going to have enough weapons on O, it would be because of Clark/Olsen and they were both awful. Bennett grew, Knox had some good and bad, and Hester looks a lot better. I just think we need a veteran who Cutler can look to on 3rd downs.

Turner has a few more games before I outright call for his head. His game plan in the first half was absolute shit. Our WR's are crap and we knew that going into the season. But it always takes Lovie and JA a few catastrophies before they get their heads out of their asses. This year, with a franchise QB, they'll extract their head from said asses just in time for us to finish 8-8. Swell job boys! Just enough to keep the sheep satisfied.

Yeah, I'm pissed we lost to the Packers in a game we damn well should've won. I'm sick of losing games we should win. The NFL is basically made up of 4 solid teams and a bunch of mediocrity. I'm sick of being one of those teams. To get out of that mix, you need to win road games against your rivals when you have them on the ropes!

Agreed 100%. The only real issue I had with Lovie was the challenge on the punt. Otherwise, I thought he did a fairly good job.

Agreed. Its on the players for me too.

Sorry but Cutler f'ed us. Blame the wr, te the routes all you want. Even if the receivers break in Cutler is throwing late, off balance, down the middle of the field into double coverage. Even if those guys break in there is a good chance those are picks anyway. The pick on the screen is terrible because the guy is right in Cutler's face.

And on that last defensive call, hell they gambled that GB was running and lost. If they run for a first, the game is over anyway, with a field goal. For all the crap we give the CB's for playing off thats one time when Vasher needed to.

To be honest, I was expecting GB score a ton and we pretty much held them in check.

So I place this squarely on Cutler. We didn't give up all that stuff for this type of effort so I hope he gets it under control quickly.

Sorry disagree whole heartedly on Cutler. Mike Martz said it best. If your recievers are not helping the situation then your going ot be in trouble. Only thing I blame Cutler is not realizing what this rivalary is, They talked about in the pregame how it apeeared to finally hit him the night before, I blame him for not being mentally ready for this game, He came out in the 2nd half and did much better, but over all it was his head getting in the way in the 1st half.

Recievers were to blame watch the tape on Nfl.com, Martz shows exactly what happend with 3 of those INT's.

All on Cutler. Come on man. What I saw, there was plenty to go around.

When was the last time you saw a worse performance by an OL? WRs and TEs did a poor job. I'll even give the RBs a bit of grief as I saw some shoddy blitz pickups and blocks. And yes, w/o question Cutler is going to get plenty of blame.

No one is saying Cutler didn't play poorly. The point, at least I have made, is that it was a bad effort all around. Just as a coach can't catch the ball, nor can the QB.

As for the 3rd and short at the end, I am not sure I agree it was as simple as "they gambled it was a run." They had a safety outside the box, but that safety (I believe afalava) bit on playfake, thus putting Vasher on an island, and we saw the result of that. As for Vasher, IMHO if he gave a 20 yard cushion, he would have still been beaten.

Agreed. Its on the players for me too.

Sorry but Cutler f'ed us. Blame the wr, te the routes all you want. Even if the receivers break in Cutler is throwing late, off balance, down the middle of the field into double coverage. Even if those guys break in there is a good chance those are picks anyway. The pick on the screen is terrible because the guy is right in Cutler's face.

And on that last defensive call, hell they gambled that GB was running and lost. If they run for a first, the game is over anyway, with a field goal. For all the crap we give the CB's for playing off thats one time when Vasher needed to.

To be honest, I was expecting GB score a ton and we pretty much held them in check.

So I place this squarely on Cutler. We didn't give up all that stuff for this type of effort so I hope he gets it under control quickly.

Is the punt challenge on him though? On a play like that, would it not be logical that someone was telling him there were 12 on the field and to call a challenge? I doubt Lovie is counting players himself. It would simply seem like someone, likely a coach, told him to throw the red flag. Yea, he is the HC and responsible, but if that is part of the job. If your coaches tell you X, you likely have to believe them.

Maybe Lovie is just an idiot. I have a feeling though that someone got their arce chewed behind closed doors, but we will likely never know.

Agreed 100%. The only real issue I had with Lovie was the challenge on the punt. Otherwise, I thought he did a fairly good job.

All on Cutler. Come on man. What I saw, there was plenty to go around.

When was the last time you saw a worse performance by an OL? WRs and TEs did a poor job. I'll even give the RBs a bit of grief as I saw some shoddy blitz pickups and blocks. And yes, w/o question Cutler is going to get plenty of blame.

No one is saying Cutler didn't play poorly. The point, at least I have made, is that it was a bad effort all around. Just as a coach can't catch the ball, nor can the QB.

As for the 3rd and short at the end, I am not sure I agree it was as simple as "they gambled it was a run." They had a safety outside the box, but that safety (I believe afalava) bit on playfake, thus putting Vasher on an island, and we saw the result of that. As for Vasher, IMHO if he gave a 20 yard cushion, he would have still been beaten.

I was talking about the picks. People are getting on the Wr/te for the picks. But they were bad throws anyway. The one to Clark was into coverage anyway. To be honest it probably gets picked regardless. The one to the defensive lineman is stupid bad. If you see a giant guy in the way of Forte don't throw it. The last one I thought could have been called PI cause the corner mauled Knox before the ball was there, but Cutler needs to not throw the ball if he sees the route is jumped.

Bottom line...you are the franchise quarterback, you can't be that bad. If it was Rex, all the blame would be on him.

As for the rest of the team, I agree with you. The players should be held accountable.

Sorry, I just disagree. Some picks, and/or near picks, are all on him. Others though I think the WR absolutely has to take a big share of the blame.

Plenty often, the QB is throwing the ball on a timing route. The WR is not there yet, but he is throwing the ball based on where the WR should be. This is very common, and every team does this. When a receiver doesn't finish the route, they are not where they should be. Sometimes, the pass ends up going directly to a DB, and it looks like an awful pass, but that isn't always the case. If the WR runs the route, the DB is not in position to make a play, and the WR is.

I have yet to see it, though I hope it is online, but Pix or someone said Marty Shot did a pick by pick review on NFL.com or NFL Network and showed how the receivers screwed the pooch.

Honestly, I just don't get it. I guess its simply a tough loss to swallow, but it just seems like everyone wants to single out an individual to blame. Some want to say its all Cutler. Someone else saids Turner. Yet another says to just put all blame on Lovie. I saw an entire offense out of cink. Every aspect of that offense deserves blame, from Turner to Forte, who didn't look great either. There are individuals who share a greater burden of the blame, but no one holds it all.

I was talking about the picks. People are getting on the Wr/te for the picks. But they were bad throws anyway. The one to Clark was into coverage anyway. To be honest it probably gets picked regardless. The one to the defensive lineman is stupid bad. If you see a giant guy in the way of Forte don't throw it. The last one I thought could have been called PI cause the corner mauled Knox before the ball was there, but Cutler needs to not throw the ball if he sees the route is jumped.

Bottom line...you are the franchise quarterback, you can't be that bad. If it was Rex, all the blame would be on him.

As for the rest of the team, I agree with you. The players should be held accountable.

The INT to Knox you need to ask your self 1 question. Why in the world do you stop in the middle of your route. Knox was supposed to continue running a slant. If he does the ball doesn't get picked and Knox has a good gain once again. This goes back to the fact that Knox pointed out himself at the Bears fan convention when Pix and I went, he said the 1 area that he must improve in his is route running. He has tremendous speed and has very good hands. He is a work in progress however after just 1 game I think we all see the upside from our WR's.

And let's not forget, D deserves blame too.

It's great to play solid for 58 minutes...but when the game is on the line, you need to play 2 more, and the D folded yet again. One stop was needed and they marched up to the 50 w/ ease and then caught us w/ our pants down.

It's like a guy in b-ball hitting all his free throws and then when there's no more time, he misses the 2 to clinch the win. If he does that game in and game out, then I don't want him making free throws. His % might be good, but he doesn't come through in the clutch.

I saw an entire offense out of cink. Every aspect of that offense deserves blame, from Turner to Forte, who didn't look great either. There are individuals who share a greater burden of the blame, but no one holds it all.

While you are correct, I still can't go there. Yes, even the D gets a piece of the blame pie, but their helping is very small. The simple of it is, they played a very good game, and did so minus several starters. Special teams allowed GB to start at the 30, and our D gave up another 20, before the bomb. But I just can't give the D too much blame. Yes, I want to see them finish better, but the reality is, we would not have even been in this game if not for the D.

And let's not forget, D deserves blame too.

It's great to play solid for 58 minutes...but when the game is on the line, you need to play 2 more, and the D folded yet again. One stop was needed and they marched up to the 50 w/ ease and then caught us w/ our pants down.

It's like a guy in b-ball hitting all his free throws and then when there's no more time, he misses the 2 to clinch the win. If he does that game in and game out, then I don't want him making free throws. His % might be good, but he doesn't come through in the clutch.