Bowman to get the Nod

bowlingtwig

Most of you know that I deliver the Chicago Tribune and while I was delivering it I saw a little headline that said Bowman to get the nod, but I didn't have time to read it so I came home and found the article. Many of us were hoping it would happen and I think this is the coaching staff saying that they aren't afraid to make changes like we thought in the past. Kudos to Lovie Smith.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,1143111.story

Most of you know that I deliver the Chicago Tribune and while I was delivering it I saw a little headline that said Bowman to get the nod, but I didn't have time to read it so I came home and found the article. Many of us were hoping it would happen and I think this is the coaching staff saying that they aren't afraid to make changes like we thought in the past. Kudos to Lovie Smith.

Let's just hope he can stay healthy.

Peace :dabears

Good. As already said, hope he can stay healthy.

I think the next order SHOULD be to bench Omiyale, though I have far less belief that will happen nearly as quick. But while Beekman was never great, (a) I think beekman was better in camp and Omiyale got the job due to contract and not performance and (B) Omiyale wasn't just sub-par. He produced about as bad of a performance as I can recall watching from an OL.

Agreed on both counts.

It appeared to me, Beekman won out in TC and PS. Maybe only by a hair. But I think Omiyale got the nod due to contract,etc. Time to let Beekma play and get better.

Good. As already said, hope he can stay healthy.

I think the next order SHOULD be to bench Omiyale, though I have far less belief that will happen nearly as quick. But while Beekman was never great, (a) I think beekman was better in camp and Omiyale got the job due to contract and not performance and (B) Omiyale wasn't just sub-par. He produced about as bad of a performance as I can recall watching from an OL.

Agreed on both counts.

It appeared to me, Beekman won out in TC and PS. Maybe only by a hair. But I think Omiyale got the nod due to contract,etc. Time to let Beekma play and get better.

I agree and although Beekman has performed well we still haven't given him much of a chance either so far, which is really disappointing.

I thought the whole Beekman thing in camp was odd.

I remember reading about how Beekman was not only still in the mix, but getting most all the reps. I remember reading this on ESPN Chicago, the Trib and the Sun Times. All had stories talking about how Beekman was getting most of the reps w/ the 1st string and looking good. Further, all were also of the opinion that Omiyale was in fact looking bad and really struggling.

Then suddely, it is announced Omiyale is the starter and will start in the preseason game. What struck me as odd was, this change literally happened w/ in a couple days of all the media writing about how Beekman is getting most of the 1st string reps and looking good while Omiyale is looking like shit.

I think few question that Omiyale got the job due to his contract. I think most assumed/hoped that he at least looked good enough to the staff that the decision was not 100% based on the contract. I don't want to make too much out of one game, but that performace was unbelievably bad, and you have to wonder how good of play we should really be expecting.

I just wonder if the staff will make a change, and how long it will take.

I agree and although Beekman has performed well we still haven't given him much of a chance either so far, which is really disappointing.

I thought the whole Beekman thing in camp was odd.

I just wonder if the staff will make a change, and how long it will take.

Put me on board for Beekman over Omiyale. And like you say, how long will it take for the change to happen?

Guest TerraTor
Put me on board for Beekman over Omiyale. And like you say, how long will it take for the change to happen?

He was looking back at Forte getting stuffed by his man on just about play. not to mention his pass blocking, or lack there of... Beekman in my opinion played well last season so why he isnt on the starting line is odd.

I wouldn't say "odd," just wrong. Omiyale was a starting OL contract, and most expected him to start. Further, the staff never liked Beekman at OG. The only reason he was ever given a chance was the number of injuries we suffered in camp last year. The staff believes Beekman is too small to play OG, and they like him as a center. Problem is for the staff, he did play fairly well at OG and their bigger OG in Omiyale looked awful.

He was looking back at Forte getting stuffed by his man on just about play. not to mention his pass blocking, or lack there of... Beekman in my opinion played well last season so why he isnt on the starting line is odd.

I really don't trust our personnell staff...

They seem to have certain things "figured out", yet fail to see reality too many times.

I wouldn't say "odd," just wrong. Omiyale was a starting OL contract, and most expected him to start. Further, the staff never liked Beekman at OG. The only reason he was ever given a chance was the number of injuries we suffered in camp last year. The staff believes Beekman is too small to play OG, and they like him as a center. Problem is for the staff, he did play fairly well at OG and their bigger OG in Omiyale looked awful.

Never said otherwise.

The staff seems to have pigeon-holed Beekman based on his size, but (a) I thought I read he added strength in the offseason and (B) size aside, he played far better last year than what we saw from the bigger, stronger Omiyale this year.

Read in another thread that while Omiyale will get the start, Beekman will be in the wings. Maybe the staff will not wait as long as I feared to make a move.

I really don't trust our personnell staff...

They seem to have certain things "figured out", yet fail to see reality too many times.

Never said otherwise.

The staff seems to have pigeon-holed Beekman based on his size, but (a) I thought I read he added strength in the offseason and (B) size aside, he played far better last year than what we saw from the bigger, stronger Omiyale this year.

Read in another thread that while Omiyale will get the start, Beekman will be in the wings. Maybe the staff will not wait as long as I feared to make a move.

What aggrivates me is, they drafted Beek to be a guard, not center. Now they think he is too small to play guard? Did they think he was going to miraculously grow a bigger frame at the age of 22. Once again, Angelo trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Never accused you of such! ;)

If the removal of Vasher is a sign, maybe this staff is starting to get it.

Never said otherwise.

What aggrivates me is, they drafted Beek to be a guard, not center. Now they think he is too small to play guard? Did they think he was going to miraculously grow a bigger frame at the age of 22. Once again, Angelo trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Really? I could have sworn he was drafted as a future replacement for Kruetz, but had the potential to fill in at guard when needed...