Something to watch for

nfoligno

I heard on the radio today, and may have also read, that our staff discussed the communication breakdown between Cutler and the receivers. What the staff the problem was, was when Cutler would scramble, there was a breakdown in what receivers were expected to do. Lovie didn't call the receivers out, but his comments definitely pointed at the WRs, and implied they did not act appropriately when Cutler was on the run, which was nearly every down.

Lovie said they would be drilling a lot regarding what "rules" are in place when the QB is on the run. While many will say this should have already been prepared for, and I agree, at the same time I don't think anyone expected Cutler to be scrambling nearly every down. Anyway, as I expet Cutler to be on the run early and often, again, it will be interesting to see if he and the WRs are on the same page or not.

I know this is sort of off topic, but I'd like to see Cutler run a bit more. He tried to run once on Sunday and I think he gained 8 or 9 yards.

But yeah, it was definitley the WR's on Sunday. All these fans think it was Cutler, yet Lovie, Collinsworth, Mortensen, and Schlereth all blame the WR's.

I know this is sort of off topic, but I'd like to see Cutler run a bit more. He tried to run once on Sunday and I think he gained 8 or 9 yards.

But yeah, it was definitley the WR's on Sunday. All these fans think it was Cutler, yet Lovie, Collinsworth, Mortensen, and Schlereth all blame the WR's.

What did Mort say??

Guest TerraTor

Im not gonna make an argument for the WR corp, but Cutler did the same stuff in Denver. Trying to make a play when its not there.

When the QB steps outta the pocket buying time, ud think itd be easy for a WR to look for an open spot, It didnt appear the WR did this nor did Cutler anticipate it. It better change drastically this game or as i said before itll be ugly.

Not to sound negative...while that's all and good. Wasn't that supposed to take place in the TC and PS?

Coaching... Hmmmm....

I heard on the radio today, and may have also read, that our staff discussed the communication breakdown between Cutler and the receivers. What the staff the problem was, was when Cutler would scramble, there was a breakdown in what receivers were expected to do. Lovie didn't call the receivers out, but his comments definitely pointed at the WRs, and implied they did not act appropriately when Cutler was on the run, which was nearly every down.

Lovie said they would be drilling a lot regarding what "rules" are in place when the QB is on the run. While many will say this should have already been prepared for, and I agree, at the same time I don't think anyone expected Cutler to be scrambling nearly every down. Anyway, as I expet Cutler to be on the run early and often, again, it will be interesting to see if he and the WRs are on the same page or not.

WOW, Schlereth is blaming someone other than Cutler for once, im shocked. The problem is the CASUAL FAN watching the game is that after the game they see the box score where it said Cutler = 4 int's. So to them its ALL Cutler's fault because there is no stat for WR for failure to come back to the ball or failure to run through the intended route and failure to do whatever except dropped balls.

Guest TerraTor
Not to sound negative...while that's all and good. Wasn't that supposed to take place in the TC and PS?

Coaching... Hmmmm....

see thats my problem too, what the hell were they doing all summer? I didnt expect 400yrds and 5 TDs but the picks and clueless looking WR routes were embarrassing...

Thankfully, it gets easier as we go...and tougher for GB and Minny...

We have such a rough start to the season it's not even funny. Green Bay, Pittsburgh and then Seattle AT Seattle! Even if we go 0-2 are shot at the post season is pretty shaky and at 0-3 you can pretty much forget about it. We NEED this win Sunday!

For some reason I am just not as "down" on the offense, QB and WR, as others. I am not saying I was happy with 4 INTs, far from it. I just expected a lot of growing pains in our first few games and especially the first one. We started Bennet who had zero rec last year, Knox a rookie, and Hester. We had 3 new starters on our Oline and a new QB. All of that went into Green Bay, a difficult place to play against an arch rival. What I saw was really bad play by almost all units early but improvement as the game wore on. Pass protection got much better late in the game, although it still needs to get better. Run blocking was poor throughout. WR made more plays in the second half and actually did some damage (i.e. big yards) against GB secondary. It's that improvement that has me confident we'll be able to get things going soon.

This week we go up against Pittsburgh who has a better D but without Polamalu I don't think their secondary is nearly as good as GB. Their LB are much better though so the Oline needs to have learned their lessons from GB and be better at picking up their blocking assignments. If they do that, Cutler will move the ball against Pitt. I don't think we'll run the ball well this week but it still needs to be in the game plan to keep them off-balance a bit.

And I don't think going 0-2 will spell the end of our season. If we come out of the first quarter of the season at 2-2 then we'll be fine, and really by the end of Oct I think we'll be 3-3 worst case. Assuming the arrow is pointing up for our offense the second half of the year should be better for us. I think wins against Seattle and Detroit and very likely. Beat the Steelers and we could have a great start to the season.