Looking ahead to Seattle

adam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE NFL best take notice when they start clammoring for an 18 week season. If they want 18 weeks, add another bye!

That's a shame. I like winning but the league turns into a bit of a joke when teams have to play with that many injuries. We might as well literally play the Mother Mary's Crippled Children's Home.

We're complaining because an opponent has the possibility of being without 11 starters when we play them? I'd rather have that then typical- "Uh oh. They have Hasselbeck, Tatupu, Hill, Jones, Trufant, and Spencer and so we have no chance to win plus they have the 12th Man" posts. Seriously, if I'll take a win any way we can get them at this point.

We're complaining because an opponent has the possibility of being without 11 starters when we play them? I'd rather have that then typical- "Uh oh. They have Hasselbeck, Tatupu, Hill, Jones, Trufant, and Spencer and so we have no chance to win plus they have the 12th Man" posts. Seriously, if I'll take a win any way we can get them at this point.

The point is that a win under such conditions is meaningless. It's an exaggeration, but it is worth complaining about.

THE NFL best take notice when they start clammoring for an 18 week season. If they want 18 weeks, add another bye!

I think if you go to 18 weeks you need to create more of a disabled list where you can IR players but bring them back later on in the season. And I also agree with you an extra bye week would be necessary as well.

I'm all about an 18 week season though, cause I think at 16 weeks, a slew of injuries over a couple week span can be the difference in the playoffs and not the playoffs and by extending the season you should allow more time for the best teams to truly make the playoffs.

Something has to be done. It's becoming the norm for key players to be out for significant time. And I don't see anything turning that tide in the other direction.

I know the owners want the games at the their facilities, and the bye doesn't really do that. But the extra bye expands the TV revenue, and that gets shared by all.

I hate the idea of an 18 week season. But I'm a traditionalist and hated the 16 one too... More isn't always better. Now it's more diluted, and will be even moreso with 18.

I think if you go to 18 weeks you need to create more of a disabled list where you can IR players but bring them back later on in the season. And I also agree with you an extra bye week would be necessary as well.

I'm all about an 18 week season though, cause I think at 16 weeks, a slew of injuries over a couple week span can be the difference in the playoffs and not the playoffs and by extending the season you should allow more time for the best teams to truly make the playoffs.

The point is that a win under such conditions is meaningless. It's an exaggeration, but it is worth complaining about.

Since when is W meaningless in a football season. There is no such thing. I will take a W any way I can get it. Doesn't matter if there entire team is 3rd string I will still take a W, it gets you one step closer to the playoffs, which is our focus every year is it not.

It doesn't matter who you play. Who has Minny played this year? Nobody. Nothing. And yet all you read about his how great of a team they are and what they have shown.

Last week, SF destroyed Seattle, who was w/o Hassel, Tatoo and whoever else, yet all I read about is the new found greatness of SF.

Sorry, but it doesn't matter who you beat, or what condition that team is in. All that matters is you win. If it matters to you, then don't just beat them, destroy them.

Yep. We can save the arguments for which championship teamis better than the other...but I just want a championship.

Yep.

It does give the reporters something to talk about. You can look at quality of oppnent,etc...maybe even a good bar argument. But, without the wins, it's just fluff.

It doesn't matter who you play. Who has Minny played this year? Nobody. Nothing. And yet all you read about his how great of a team they are and what they have shown.

Last week, SF destroyed Seattle, who was w/o Hassel, Tatoo and whoever else, yet all I read about is the new found greatness of SF.

Sorry, but it doesn't matter who you beat, or what condition that team is in. All that matters is you win. If it matters to you, then don't just beat them, destroy them.

I hate the idea of an 18 week season. But I'm a traditionalist and hated the 16 one too... More isn't always better. Now it's more diluted, and will be even moreso with 18.

absolutely agree.

the 14 game season was enough. if they go to an 18 game season expect a lot more injuries and as a final result it will shorten the careers of players in which this league with all the expansion teams can't afford. they can't even fill the rosters now with first rate players. we are already seeing watered down football.

We're deifnitely on the same page!

absolutely agree.

the 14 game season was enough. if they go to an 18 game season expect a lot more injuries and as a final result it will shorten the careers of players in which this league with all the expansion teams can't afford. they can't even fill the rosters now with first rate players. we are already seeing watered down football.

Honestly, I'd commit myslef to 3 or 30. But for the good of the game, I don't think we need the guys going full bore for 2 more weeks. I understand the need for the owners and teams having pre-season. And yes injuries occur. But the time out there is limited and a little less full throttle.

If the speculation were cut down, what would be do!?

Mad L not being contrarian but I committ myself to 20 weeks of Bears football if 18 of them are real games and 2 of them are preseason I could take that. Just think of how much the speculation would cut down.

Honestly, I'd commit myslef to 3 or 30. But for the good of the game, I don't think we need the guys going full bore for 2 more weeks. I understand the need for the owners and teams having pre-season. And yes injuries occur. But the time out there is limited and a little less full throttle.

If the speculation were cut down, what would be do!?

If you look at it from a season ticket holder standpoint they pay the same amount of money for preseason as they do regular season tickets. The players are working out in April and May and most of our draft picks are signed a month before TC. So why not play 2 more games?

My only thing is that the added injury dilutes the quality of the product on the field. If you're lucky enough to have season tickets, then buying 2 pre-season games is a small price of admission. I'd gladly do so.

If you look at it from a season ticket holder standpoint they pay the same amount of money for preseason as they do regular season tickets. The players are working out in April and May and most of our draft picks are signed a month before TC. So why not play 2 more games?

My only thing is that the added injury dilutes the quality of the product on the field. If you're lucky enough to have season tickets, then buying 2 pre-season games is a small price of admission. I'd gladly do so.

Believe me I understand what you are saying but they had the same arguement when the schedule went from 14 to 16 games.Urlacher played sparingly in the preseason and in the first game he was out for the year. What did holding him back gain this team? The same can be sais for Pisa and Dez Clark who all got hurt in the regular season opener. The only guy we were counting on that got hurt during the prseason is Kevin Jones and I believe he was an injury waiting to happen. Most of our players that avoided playing in the preseason like Tillman and Tommie Harris had very late surgeries that if they had them soon after the last season maybe they wouldn't be slow to come around now.

It wasn't changing the length of the season to 16 games that diluted the talent pool, it was adding more teams to the league that did that.

I can't believe that replacing a meaningless preseason game with a game that counts for something would shorten the career of any player. IMHO

As long as they shorten the preseason, I have no problem expanding the regular season.

It wasn't changing the length of the season to 16 games that diluted the talent pool, it was adding more teams to the league that did that.

I can't believe that replacing a meaningless preseason game with a game that counts for something would shorten the career of any player. IMHO

As long as they shorten the preseason, I have no problem expanding the regular season.

We"re on the same page Pix and I know there was a big uproar when they switched to the 16 game schedule but it wasn't coming from the players who loved the idea.