Seattle injuries that could be big

nfoligno

Everyone has fixated on the status of Hasselbeck, and for good reason, but there are a couple other injuries that could prove just as big.

Most know that Walter Jones has been out, but does everyone realize his backup (Sean Locklear) also went down w/ a high ankle sprain? Per More, he isn't going to rush Jones back as he doesn't want to kill his season. But that could mean Seattle is down not only their stud LT, but also his backup. I don't even know who would start if these two can not go. Brandon Frye is listed as the backup RT, and they only picked him up a couple weeks ago off waivers. Coming off a two sack game, Alex Brown could be in for a big day.

Tatupu is not only Seattle's best LB, but could be their best defensive player. From what I read, he has a hammy injury. He tried to play against SF, but was pulled shortly after as he simply couldn't play at game speed. Mora doesn't know if he will be able to play or not. IMHO, either he is out, which is pretty huge, or he is slowed, which also would be huge. I don't know if Tatupu's loss was the key to Gore running all over them, but no question in my mind it was a significant factor.

So on offense, we have all talked about our struggles to run the ball. If we can't run against this Seattle defense, then we truly know we have major problems.

On defense, we should be licking our chops. I doubt Hasselbeck can play. If he does, you have to believe he will not be as effective, and put a few hits on him, and things could go from bad to worse. Wallace may not be the worst QB in the league, but after facing Rodgers and Rothlisberger, it should feel like it.

Further, their OL has struggled thus far, but if Locklear is in fact out, Alex Brown should be set loose.

Could be a big game for our front four as a whole. Wallace has little experience, and is a big drop from Hass and with the equally inexperienced guys at tackle. I look for them to all harass Matt and create havoc all game long. Alex Brown and Whale should have good games. if we get Pisa back this week then we're only short Urlacher as a starter... I know I say only but that's not to diminish Brian's impact but we would be back to Briggs, Pisa, and Hillenmeyer. Hilly has played decent filling in for Brian. He doesn't have to overachieve for this to work We've seen this defense play well even without Urlacher

It's often the "lesser" injuries that hurt a team and Seattle is a banged up team. I look for this to be the game that Forte gets on track. I also think that the holes will be bigger and I think the passing game will continue to show improvment.

Yup. Trufant, easily their best CB, was already out. Now another starter has gone donw, and yet another (Lusas) is slowed w/ a groin injury. So their starting CBs (whoever they are) are weakened considerably, but then I think about what sort of DB would line up against a slot guy like Knox, and I salivate.

Then add the likely loss of their top LB, and another starting LB was already out. This is going to open things up for our TEs and run game.

Finally, as you said, their key DT is likely out.

I don't know how aggressive we plant o be, but against a defense so killed by injuries, we should be able to put 50 on the board. We won't, but that is how bad their situation is.

NFO--their CB depth chart is down two starters on one side as well. Also their DT, Mebane, missed last week's game, might not be ready, either. I keep wanting to call that guy Mudbone, LOL.

NFO--their CB depth chart is down two starters on one side as well. Also their DT, Mebane, missed last week's game, might not be ready, either. I keep wanting to call that guy Mudbone, LOL.

I agree and I like how our offense matches up with this defense in this regard. Until we get better guard play in the run game it doesn't matter who is playing across from them.

This might be the game Olsen shines

Something great about this also. We started out against a pair of 3-4 defenses, one of which is w/o question elite. Especially for an OL w/ 3 new starters, that is a tough beginning.

But now we get a game like this, and then Detroit. Follow that up w/ a bye week, and our OL has two easy games and an off week to get their crap together, as does the rest of our team.

I love the way that sets up. We should be heading into the bye week 3-1 and while it will then be a long season after, the hope is our team forms more chemistry and such in this first month, and it really carries over through the rest of the season.

I agree and I like how our offense matches up with this defense in this regard. Until we get better guard play in the run game it doesn't matter who is playing across from them.

This might be the game Olsen shines

when I look at us going into the bye week 3-1 that is about where I figured we'd be. Only difference is I had our loss against the Steelers rather than the Packers. I don't want to get ahead but we face a depleted Seahawks and a success challenged lions team. Sometimes a wounded animal is dangerous so I don't think we should think since they are depleted that we can just walk in there and win. But we should win. I want to see a convincing win. If we just eek out a win I'll be less enthused. The lions should be a win and may put up a good fight but should be no match. I'd like to see us go into the bye week 3-1 and with some momentum.

Is Wallace the scrub a lot of people seem to think? Sure he's not a great QB but in 8 starts last year he had 11 TD's & only 3 INT's

Wallace isn't a bad QB he just can't carry a team by his arm. He can beat you by his legs though, which we have struggled with scrambling QB's in the past and the Def has to be on their toes.