Cutler again above 100 on QB rating

GrizzlyBear

That no namer we just signed 2 weeks ago. Can't even think of his name..

Take your pick: claimed CB Deangelo Smith (off waivers - 17 Sep) or LB Tim Shaw who was signed 14 Sep.

*Source: Chicagobears.com

I agree that Brooks definitely is worth a strong look. Especially if Hillenmeyer is out for a while.

Even more than the QB Rating, I am loving the Completion Pct. 71% and 78% the last two games. Also, just think of how much higher it would be without drops.

Even after that brutal first game, he has a Comp Pct almost 10 pts higher than Orton who has a better QB Rating. We would probably be 0-3 with Orton at the helm with the lack of running game.

Yeah, Cutler's more than made up for his first game in the last two. His stat line for the season (even including the godawful game against the Packers) already looks decent:

65/101 (64.4%) for 760 yards (7.5 YPA) 6 TDs, 5 INTs 86.2 QB rating.

Remember how the media were in panic mode just two weeks ago? After just two more games, Cutler's completion percentage, YPA, and QB rating are all back to almost exactly his career numbers (62.6%, 7.4, and 87.0, respectively) and he looks like he's on a major upward trend.

To bounce back from a game that bad to an above-average stat line in just two weeks is pretty remarkable. Even considering the Green Bay game, Cutler's on pace to throw 538 times (about 10 more pass attempts than the Bears' QBs had last year) for 4053 yards and 32 TDs (although technically he's also on pace for 26 interceptions.) I know the sample size is small, but I'll take those yards/TDs any day.

...speaking of who's on pace for what, if the rest of the season plays out exactly like the past three weeks, here are our wide receivers' numbers:

Devin Hester: 69 receptions on 101 targets (68.3% catch rate) for 997 yards (14.4 YPC)

Earl Bennett: 69 receptions on 101 targets (68.3% catch rate) for 896 yards (12.9 YPC)

Johnny Knox: 48 receptions on 85 targets (56.4% catch rate) for 848 yards (17.6 YPC)

(I didn't include TD numbers, because the small sample size affects those a lot more than catches/yards. If you're curious, Hester and Knox are each on pace for 10 TDs, while Bennett is on pace for zero. Obviously, I don't think that's how the season numbers will turn out.)

I, for one, would LOVE to see those numbers for the season. Yeah, there's no 1200-yard receiver, but to have three guys in the 850-1000 range would be just as good. Also, this projection makes a lot of sense given how the receiver group has looked so far. Here are a couple of thoughts:

- Hester has clearly improved from last season as a receiver. His catch percentage is WAY up from last year's 56.5%, and his YPC has improved by over a yard and a half (from 12.7 last season.) A 14.4 YPC is definitely good enough to be considered #1-receiver-type production: that mark would have ranked Hester 17th among wide receivers with at least 45 catches last season. Hester's catch rate so far is GREAT, which is a really good sign, since his catching was my main concern last season. If he keeps these numbers up, he looks like a solid #1 receiver on a per-catch and per-target basis. For reference, Andre Johnson caught 67.6% of his targets last season, and he ended up with a 13.7 YPC.

- Knox looks like a classic deep threat: just-adequate catch percentage, but monster YPC. For reference, last season just 5 receivers with at least 30 catches had better than 17.6 YPC. Steve Smith (18.2 YPC) is right above Knox's mark, while Calvin Johnson (17.1 YPC) is right below it. Smith and Johnson bracket Knox in catch rate, too - Smith with 60.1% and Johnson with 51.6%. By either measure, Knox will be in some lofty company as a deep threat if he can maintain those numbers for a season.

- Bennett looks like a quality possession guy: his YPC is solidly average, and he's got the same great catch rate that Hester does. As a #2 receiver, I think his per-catch and per-target numbers already look pretty good.

Really, I'm excited that Cutler is spreading the ball around as much as he is. The Bears got a lot of flak in the offseason for having no true #1 guy, but if Hester, Bennett and Knox keep this up, we'll have at least as much production from the group as most teams have from their #1, #2, and #3. Sure, the wide-receiver-by-committee thing might not be great for fantasy owners, but it would be just fine for the Bears' offense.

Yeah, Cutler's more than made up for his first game in the last two. His stat line for the season (even including the godawful game against the Packers) already looks decent:

65/101 (64.4%) for 760 yards (7.5 YPA) 6 TDs, 5 INTs 86.2 QB rating.

Remember how the media were in panic mode just two weeks ago? After just two more games, Cutler's completion percentage, YPA, and QB rating are all back to almost exactly his career numbers (62.6%, 7.4, and 87.0, respectively) and he looks like he's on a major upward trend.

To bounce back from a game that bad to an above-average stat line in just two weeks is pretty remarkable. Even considering the Green Bay game, Cutler's on pace to throw 538 times (about 10 more pass attempts than the Bears' QBs had last year) for 4053 yards and 32 TDs (although technically he's also on pace for 26 interceptions.) I know the sample size is small, but I'll take those yards/TDs any day.

...speaking of who's on pace for what, if the rest of the season plays out exactly like the past three weeks, here are our wide receivers' numbers:

Devin Hester: 69 receptions on 101 targets (68.3% catch rate) for 997 yards (14.4 YPC)

Earl Bennett: 69 receptions on 101 targets (68.3% catch rate) for 896 yards (12.9 YPC)

Johnny Knox: 48 receptions on 85 targets (56.4% catch rate) for 848 yards (17.6 YPC)

(I didn't include TD numbers, because the small sample size affects those a lot more than catches/yards. If you're curious, Hester and Knox are each on pace for 10 TDs, while Bennett is on pace for zero. Obviously, I don't think that's how the season numbers will turn out.)

I, for one, would LOVE to see those numbers for the season. Yeah, there's no 1200-yard receiver, but to have three guys in the 850-1000 range would be just as good. Also, this projection makes a lot of sense given how the receiver group has looked so far. Here are a couple of thoughts:

- Hester has clearly improved from last season as a receiver. His catch percentage is WAY up from last year's 56.5%, and his YPC has improved by over a yard and a half (from 12.7 last season.) A 14.4 YPC is definitely good enough to be considered #1-receiver-type production: that mark would have ranked Hester 17th among wide receivers with at least 45 catches last season. Hester's catch rate so far is GREAT, which is a really good sign, since his catching was my main concern last season. If he keeps these numbers up, he looks like a solid #1 receiver on a per-catch and per-target basis. For reference, Andre Johnson caught 67.6% of his targets last season, and he ended up with a 13.7 YPC.

- Knox looks like a classic deep threat: just-adequate catch percentage, but monster YPC. For reference, last season just 5 receivers with at least 30 catches had better than 17.6 YPC. Steve Smith (18.2 YPC) is right above Knox's mark, while Calvin Johnson (17.1 YPC) is right below it. Smith and Johnson bracket Knox in catch rate, too - Smith with 60.1% and Johnson with 51.6%. By either measure, Knox will be in some lofty company as a deep threat if he can maintain those numbers for a season.

- Bennett looks like a quality possession guy: his YPC is solidly average, and he's got the same great catch rate that Hester does. As a #2 receiver, I think his per-catch and per-target numbers already look pretty good.

Really, I'm excited that Cutler is spreading the ball around as much as he is. The Bears got a lot of flak in the offseason for having no true #1 guy, but if Hester, Bennett and Knox keep this up, we'll have at least as much production from the group as most teams have from their #1, #2, and #3. Sure, the wide-receiver-by-committee thing might not be great for fantasy owners, but it would be just fine for the Bears' offense.

Great analysis - thanks.

Peace :dabears

Take your pick: claimed CB Deangelo Smith (off waivers - 17 Sep) or LB Tim Shaw who was signed 14 Sep.

*Source: Chicagobears.com

I agree that Brooks definitely is worth a strong look. Especially if Hillenmeyer is out for a while.

Where do you play Brooks? You cannot move Briggs as he is playing at an all pro level. He would have to play middle and I don't know if he can.

Peace :dabears

excellent analysis.

That doesn't even include Olsen and Davis (other than part of Jays numbers). Lots of positives going on here. As this season progresses I think the various receivers will find their niche in this offense and we will start to see this offense emerge and gain confidence. I love the fact that Jay is spreading the ball around. There was a comment that I think I heard on the pre-game that I'll echo, whoever is open is his favorite receiver. He doesn't lock on to guys and keeps his eyes down field and moves with intent to throw first run second.

The telling thing is when you include the stats of the GB game in and he still is above average with his stats. We get this running game going and Jay can use play action he will scare the heck out of opposing defensive coordinators. He's more dangerous on the run than he is in the pocket. I like how our receivers are getting it as far as giving Jay a target when he is on the run. The more on the same page and the more trust they develop in each other the more effective they will be.

another intersting thing is the stat he came in with is his record when opponents are held under 21. I forget the stat but this season he's 2-0 in that situation. GB scored 21 and both Pitt and Seattle were held under 21. THe former was a loss the latter two were wins.

In Green Bay we almost won with 4 picks and only 1 TD . I think its safe to say that we'd have won that one if Kyle was starting, not necessarily if he was in his first game as a Bear though, like Cutler. But I would say we'd be 1-2 if Kyle was still on the team. I'm real happy to see success so early from Cutler, though I'm more cautious about such things after having seen Rex start out so hot two or three years ago only to have defenses adjust. I don't want to start expecting 100 qb rating games most weeks is what I'm saying, though there is that optimist in me.

Our division is going to be tough, for every team. I can see whichever team wins it being good enough to beat any team, with respect to the Super Bowl. Favre will wear down, even he knows it. So I'm glad we don't play Minny until much later.

I am not so sure we win that first game if Orton is the QB. Yes, I get the reasoning. Cutler turned it over, while Orton would have avoided such. But....

One. Cutler was under incredible pressure in that game. Most every snap, Cutler was running for his life. While you might argue Orton could have avoided the picks, I would counter that by arguing he was not have moved the offense either. Cutler threw of 277 and a TD. As much as he killed the offense on some drives, his arm also did move the offense on others. I was a fairly big Orton fan, but Orton just didn't have the scramble ability Jay does, thus he would have been taking sacks or throwing it away (to avoid those picks) and thus he would not have been able to move the ball. Part of we lost was Cutler, but at the same time, part of why we were in the game was Cutler. If Orton were under center, I am not sure we get so much as a FG.

Two. Everyone assumed Orton would have avoided the turnovers, but are we so sure? That was the worst OL performance I think I have ever witnessed. We had no run game, which Orton had the benefit of last year. Also, while Orton was always considered to better protect the ball, I think fans forget that last year, he had 5 games w/ 2 or more picks.

So if Orton were under center (a) I think he may well have had a couple picks himself and (B) I question whether he would have been able to move the ball, allowing us to score at all. As much as Cutler hurt us, he also did manage several drives, which I just question whether Orton would have been capable of doing.

In Green Bay we almost won with 4 picks and only 1 TD . I think its safe to say that we'd have won that one if Kyle was starting, not necessarily if he was in his first game as a Bear though, like Cutler. But I would say we'd be 1-2 if Kyle was still on the team. I'm real happy to see success so early from Cutler, though I'm more cautious about such things after having seen Rex start out so hot two or three years ago only to have defenses adjust. I don't want to start expecting 100 qb rating games most weeks is what I'm saying, though there is that optimist in me.

Our division is going to be tough, for every team. I can see whichever team wins it being good enough to beat any team, with respect to the Super Bowl. Favre will wear down, even he knows it. So I'm glad we don't play Minny until much later.

Nice work.

Other Projections:

Olsen: 48-496, 6 TDs

Forte: 800 Rushing Yards, 0 TDs, Rec - 59-389, 0 TDs

Here is a fun one, take only Cutler's last two games and project that for a full season (if you consider GB as :

3864 Yards, 40 TDs, 8 INTs, 7.4 YA, 73.8% Comp Pct.

I agree with NFO, with the amount of pressure GB was bringing there is no way Orton makes it out of that game. Orton with this oline=0-3.

So far, if my math is right which it usually isn't, Cutler is averaging about 91.7 QB rating each game. I'd take that for sure, and with our upcoming schedule, he should continue to improve on that.

Detroit (29th against the pass)

@ Atlanta (22nd against the pass)

@ Cincinnati (19th against the pass)

Cleveland (16th against the pass)

Arizona (30th against the pass)

@ San Francisco (24th against the pass)

Also, I might consider sitting Forte this Sunday. I know Detroit is no slouch and can put some major points up, but Peterson has been equally effective as Forte so far, and we could slip Wolfe some carries as well. This would give Forte 2 weeks to get his hamstring back to 100%, too. We probably won't be running the ball too much anyway against Detroit with how they probably couldn't stop LSU's passing game. We could get out to a lead, then we could have AP and Wolfe share the load.

Just a thought.

If Forte is hurting and the time off will help...then I've got no problem sitting him. Or maybe at mimimum, keep him on the sideline unless absolutely necessary.

So far, if my math is right which it usually isn't, Cutler is averaging about 91.7 QB rating each game. I'd take that for sure, and with our upcoming schedule, he should continue to improve on that.

Detroit (29th against the pass)

@ Atlanta (22nd against the pass)

@ Cincinnati (19th against the pass)

Cleveland (16th against the pass)

Arizona (30th against the pass)

@ San Francisco (24th against the pass)

Also, I might consider sitting Forte this Sunday. I know Detroit is no slouch and can put some major points up, but Peterson has been equally effective as Forte so far, and we could slip Wolfe some carries as well. This would give Forte 2 weeks to get his hamstring back to 100%, too. We probably won't be running the ball too much anyway against Detroit with how they probably couldn't stop LSU's passing game. We could get out to a lead, then we could have AP and Wolfe share the load.

Just a thought.

Forte: 800 Rushing Yards, 0 TDs, Rec - 59-389, 0 TDs

Ugh, I hope not. Hopefully our o-line gets it together soon - Forte has had NO holes to run through so far. The group we've got this year is much better in pass protection, but Tait and St. Clair were vastly better run-blockers than Pace and Williams. I really don't think Chris Williams at RT makes a lot of sense...I'd almost rather try Shaffer on the right side and go with either Pace or Williams at LT. The pass protection would probably suffer a little, but I bet the running game would benefit.

I don't know what to make of Omiyale's run-blocking. About once a game, I've seen him open a giant hole (which usually leads to a nice run from Forte) but he's clearly not doing it reliably yet. Maybe he's still struggling to get his technique consistent - there was an interview where he mentioned he was having some difficulty making the adjustment to the handwork and leverage that guards have to use. Whatever the problem is, I hope he sorts it out. We need a line that can get the job done, or Forte's going to have a bad year.

While there is no question our OL has been bad, I do not think that is the entire problem. Forte just doesn't look good this year. Lets not pretend our OL was good last year. Forte made them look better than he was. So often last year, there were no holes, but Forte through vision and burst, bounced away from the wall and found a hole. This year, he just looks slow, and isn't able to bounce away like he did.

Did you notice, in both the last game as well as against Pitt, when AP came in, he immediately had a solid run. He burst through the OL and picked up solid yardage, and looked considerably faster than Forte in doing so.

There is no question our OL has been bad, but I also think Forte is struggling regardless.

I disagree where you say our OL is better in pass protection this year. I think that is simply the Cutler factor. Cutler is on the move nearly every snap due to pressure, but is better able to keep plays alive w/ his feet. The fact that pressure is getting to Cutler damn near immediate shows our OL is not pass protecting, but due to his ability to scramble and throw on the run, it is not as obvious as it would be w/ a less mobile QB like orton.

I was never a fan of Williams move to RT, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I expected him to struggle in run blocking some, and w/ power DEs. Strength and run blocking were draft day concerns on him. He was considered/called by many a finese OT. What is really concerned though for me is, he has struggled agaisnt speed rushers as much as w/ power guys.

As for Shaffer, he was getting killed in preseason, and when you consider he was facing 2nd and 3rd string DEs, that is really scary.

On Omiyale, I don't know if it is technique, or maybe he simply isn't good. Remember, he wasn't exactly a starter prior to joining the bears. I just hope we don't waste the season trying to find out, and make the move to Beekman sooner, rather than later. Beekman may not be great, but I think he is significantly better than Omiyale.

Ugh, I hope not. Hopefully our o-line gets it together soon - Forte has had NO holes to run through so far. The group we've got this year is much better in pass protection, but Tait and St. Clair were vastly better run-blockers than Pace and Williams. I really don't think Chris Williams at RT makes a lot of sense...I'd almost rather try Shaffer on the right side and go with either Pace or Williams at LT. The pass protection would probably suffer a little, but I bet the running game would benefit.

I don't know what to make of Omiyale's run-blocking. About once a game, I've seen him open a giant hole (which usually leads to a nice run from Forte) but he's clearly not doing it reliably yet. Maybe he's still struggling to get his technique consistent - there was an interview where he mentioned he was having some difficulty making the adjustment to the handwork and leverage that guards have to use. Whatever the problem is, I hope he sorts it out. We need a line that can get the job done, or Forte's going to have a bad year.

I agree about Beekman, I don't know what the coaching staff's problem with him is. Maybe they've got Omiyale on a long leash because of his contract and his physical potential, but if he keeps playing like he has been, they need to get Beekman back in there by midseason at the latest. Beekman's not spectacular, but he looked perfectly fine last season, and he's much, much more consistent than Omiyale has been so far.

I agree that Forte has looked a little slower than last season. I hope that the hamstring from preseason isn't still bothering him. That said, from what I've seen this season, he's had much worse blocking than he did last year.

I mean, we've got a right tackle with a back injury and marginal upper-body strength, whose main technique problems coming out of college were his hand punch and use of leverage. We have a 6'7" left tackle who's admitted that he's struggling to get low enough into his stance due to age/knee injuries. From what I've seen thus far, both Pace and Williams are MUCH better when they can stand up and deflect pass rushers out wide than they are when they have to get low and push a guy backward. On top of that, we've got a left guard who's still learning the position. Last year's line was awful in pass protection (although maybe Cutler could have made them look better) but they were cohesive and they were strong enough to do an adequate job in the running game.

Maybe Forte could be doing better, but he looks like he's struggling to adjust to the changes in the o-line. The play against Seattle where he actually had to shove Chris Williams out of his way really spoke volumes: Forte was expecting a downfield block, Williams got stonewalled, and Forte ended up running into the back of his blocker. As much as I hated St. Clair and Tait in pass protection last season, there's no question in my mind that either of them makes that block and springs Forte.

I agree about Beekman, I don't know what the coaching staff's problem with him is. Maybe they've got Omiyale on a long leash because of his contract and his physical potential, but if he keeps playing like he has been, they need to get Beekman back in there by midseason at the latest. Beekman's not spectacular, but he looked perfectly fine last season, and he's much, much more consistent than Omiyale has been so far.

I remember last offseason, prior to some injuries, the coaches said Beekman was too small to play OG, and felt he fit best as a center. He is 6'2, but I think it has more to do w/ body type and such, rather than just what the roster may show. Anyway, they were forced to start him due to injuries, but I never felt they liked him at OG, and through this past offseason, it seemed like they were on a mission to replace him. Omiyale is getting the long leash treatment due to his contract, but also because I just don't think the staff liked Beekman at OG.

I agree that Forte has looked a little slower than last season. I hope that the hamstring from preseason isn't still bothering him. That said, from what I've seen this season, he's had much worse blocking than he did last year.

Honestly, I sort of hope it is the hammy. At least then we could point to a legit reason for his lack of quickness and power, and further would have reason to believe it will turn around. My fear is he isn't injured.

I mean, we've got a right tackle with a back injury and marginal upper-body strength, whose main technique problems coming out of college were his hand punch and use of leverage. We have a 6'7" left tackle who's admitted that he's struggling to get low enough into his stance due to age/knee injuries. From what I've seen thus far, both Pace and Williams are MUCH better when they can stand up and deflect pass rushers out wide than they are when they have to get low and push a guy backward. On top of that, we've got a left guard who's still learning the position. Last year's line was awful in pass protection (although maybe Cutler could have made them look better) but they were cohesive and they were strong enough to do an adequate job in the running game.

IMHO, you are arguing in theory more than reality. In theory, no question there is reason to believe Pace and Williams would do a better job pass protecting then run blocking. But that just isn't what I have seen. Pace simply looks too slow getting out of his stance, and is basically getting beaten off the snap. On the other side, Williams really isn't fairing much better. I think part of Williams problem may still be power and strength. I think opponents are using speed to get him on his backfeet and offbalance, and thus are more easily able to beat him. My point was never to say these two are run blocking better than pass blocking, but only to say they have sucked at both.

You also say our OL adequate in run blocking, but awful in pass protection. Honestly, I think our OL pass protected last year better than what I have seen thus far. Maybe that is not fair, as this OL should improve (key word there is should) but based simply on what I have seen this year, I think this unit pass protects worse than last year. Considerably worse. If Orton had to face the immediate pressure Cutler is, he may not have lasted past a couple games.

In terms of run blocking, I agree it was better, but that is also a tad relative. Tait was actually a pretty good and effective run blocker for us last year. He simply was awful in pass protection. If I were to go position by position:

LT - Pace is better run blocker. About equal in pass protection, which was really bad.

LG - Beekman was better at both, though less so in pass protection.

C - Still Kreutz

LG - I actually think Garza is the one player looking better. Frankly, on quite a few plays he has been flat out impressive.

LT - Both stink w/ the pass, but Tait was a decent enough run blocker.

So yes, we did run block better last year, but lets not pretend we did well. That is a relative compliment. So many of Forte's runs were runs he created when the hole wasn't there. Well, the holes still isn't there, but he hasn't been capable of creating like he did last year. And it does still bother me to see AP burst through the line looking so much better than Forte.

Maybe Forte could be doing better, but he looks like he's struggling to adjust to the changes in the o-line. The play against Seattle where he actually had to shove Chris Williams out of his way really spoke volumes: Forte was expecting a downfield block, Williams got stonewalled, and Forte ended up running into the back of his blocker. As much as I hated St. Clair and Tait in pass protection last season, there's no question in my mind that either of them makes that block and springs Forte.

First, I would agree Tait makes the block. Not so sure about St. Clair.

Second, I would counter that last year Forte doesn't run up the back of his blocker, but makes a cut into the space.

It seems like teams are still forcing the Bears to pass and stacking extra guys in the box. We have also been very predictable on our runs.

It seems like the same that they did back in 2005 when Grossman was destroying teams with his arm that was until the teams realized that and started to drop back when he really started to struggle. The difference now is that we have a QB that can still beat you if they play the pass.

I agree with NFO, with the amount of pressure GB was bringing there is no way Orton makes it out of that game. Orton with this oline=0-3.

I understand the thinking, but I still think its a stretch to say that Cutler's worst day as a pro is still better than the typical Orton outing. Remember, Orton wasn't an easily rattled QB by any stretch. In fact it was probably one of his greatest strengths, and he could sense pressure and step up though he wasn't a scrambler. But then I also don't agree the line was as bad as nfo suggested, which makes a difference. I've seen what it looks like when a QB is literally running for his life every play and that wasn't it. It was very bad, but an ordinary very bad, not some sort of jaw droppingly bad. The other element is that we still came so close, it wouldn't have taken a great game by a different QB to win it, just not a rotten one. The defense, especially, played well enough to win, but Cutler and others gave it away. Like I said earlier, I'm not worried about game 1, but I'm not going to whitewash it either.

I don't know how much they dropped back in '05 to play the run. IMHO, the key difference after teams were able to see Rex on tape was, they began to attack him. In the first month, they stacked the box to play the run. After that, they still stacked the box, but instead of run blitzes, they were pass blitzing. Rex simply was not able to deal w/ the pressure.

W/ Cutler, frankly, I am surprised by how teams are attacking us. I think it has more to do w/ the receivers than Cutler though. I think the stacked boxes are more a slap in the face of our receivers than Cutler.

It seems like the same that they did back in 2005 when Grossman was destroying teams with his arm that was until the teams realized that and started to drop back when he really started to struggle. The difference now is that we have a QB that can still beat you if they play the pass.

I'm not even remotely worried about game 1. We could have won it if not for one bad defensive play...

Your right and if we do hang on to win that game everyone would be talking about how Cutler was able to put his previous problems behind him to will us to win the game and then right now we would be talking about how Cutler would have 3 straight come from behind wins.