Ogunleye with a great quote

defiantgiant

From ESPN:

"I guess we've got to get punched in the face a couple times to realize we're in a fight," defensive end Ogunleye said.

I love it.

Yes nice quote but he should understand that it's going to be a fight in every game. With that being said he and the Bears should come out swing at the opening bell (kickoff) not wait until the later rounds(2nd half)

Yes nice quote but he should understand that it's going to be a fight in every game. With that being said he and the Bears should come out swing at the opening bell (kickoff) not wait until the later rounds(2nd half)

This team is a slow starter. I hope as well, we can come out of the gate firing. Like AZ said though, at we're making adjustments. I especially like they had a specific mission for Tillman on Johnson in the 2nd half. It seemed to pay off.

From ESPN:

"I guess we've got to get punched in the face a couple times to realize we're in a fight," defensive end Ogunleye said.

I love it.

I don't love it. The reason why is simple:

Sometimes those first few punches you don't answer can end the fight. There should be no surprise about being in a fight.

I don't love it. The reason why is simple:

Sometimes those first few punches you don't answer can end the fight. There should be no surprise about being in a fight.

I agree 100%. This team isn't good enough to take ANYTHING for granted. Come out of the gate scratching and clawing EVERY GAME and they have a chance at winning 10 games or so and making the playoffs. Piss away a game or two because you don't or because you can't close or because one of your stars plays like shit (opening day was all of the above) and you'll end up 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

And the coaches need to make adjustments sooner than halftime. What is it about these guys that they can't seem to get their thumbs out of their asses until they're off the playing surface?

The offense came out swinging but had to as the defense was sleepwalking for much of the first half.

I agree with the postgame comments. If you want to be considered a good defense or a great defense you cannot give up drives 70, 72, and 98 for TD's in the first half.... you can't do that. I probably have the numbers a little wrong I'm going from memory but it was two drives of 70+ and a drive of 98.

When special teams (specifically Maynard) pins you down deep you can't keep letting them drive the length of the field.

If the offense didn't answer those first half TD's we go into halftime down 21-0 or something like that. Which completely changes the dynamic and give Detroit a ton of confidence and puts us behind the 8 ball.

I am flat out thrilled we have been capable of making adjustments, and love that our coaches have been able to inspire players at halftime.

But that does not negate the problem this team is having to start games, and that is becoming a concern. A rookie QB drove the ball down our throats on the opening drive, and didn't stop there.

Look, its great to make adjustments, but against good teams, that may be too little too late.

Agreed. Better, but not preferred over simply starting well.

I am flat out thrilled we have been capable of making adjustments, and love that our coaches have been able to inspire players at halftime.

But that does not negate the problem this team is having to start games, and that is becoming a concern. A rookie QB drove the ball down our throats on the opening drive, and didn't stop there.

Look, its great to make adjustments, but against good teams, that may be too little too late.

I'm thrilled our team isn't one dimensional anymore. We can give up 24 points and still win. It wasn't so much Cutler and the offense but ther special teams guys yesterday and some second half defense. But if you can get the guys inspired at halftime, you should be able to do it during the pregame too. Coming out flat isn't an option. And with all the injuries we've suffered, it'll be a full team effort to continue to win.

While I agree we can not come out flat, or wait until halftime to make adjustments, I am not sure I agree we have waited.

Game one was just messed up w/ all the turnovers. Even still, I don't think this game would reflect one where we waited until halftime for adjustments. GB got nada in the 1st quarter. FG in the 2nd, followed by a TD they only had to go ONE YARD due to a turnover. Nada in the 3rd quarter, and late TD. But the point is, this game does not reflect our waiting to make adjustments.

Game two saw Pitt drive it down our throats on the first drive, but we shut them down for the rest of the half. One more scoring drive in the 3rd, and then nothing. IMHO, we made some adjustments pretty quickly after the opening drive.

Game three, Seattle drove us on the 1st drive, but were kept out of the endzone after that only getting some FGs.

Game four I agree we waited too long to adjust. Frankly, I do not understand why Bowman was on an island for the 1st half against one of the league's best WRs, but regardless, we waited too long to adjust.

Overall point is though, while I agree w/ the general idea you can't just wait until halftime to adjust, I am not sure I agree that we have, expect the last game. We have been starting flat, and allowing opening drives to get into the end zone, but seem to be changing pretty quick and not allowing much there after.

I agree 100%. This team isn't good enough to take ANYTHING for granted. Come out of the gate scratching and clawing EVERY GAME and they have a chance at winning 10 games or so and making the playoffs. Piss away a game or two because you don't or because you can't close or because one of your stars plays like shit (opening day was all of the above) and you'll end up 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

And the coaches need to make adjustments sooner than halftime. What is it about these guys that they can't seem to get their thumbs out of their asses until they're off the playing surface?

Overall point is though, while I agree w/ the general idea you can't just wait until halftime to adjust, I am not sure I agree that we have, expect the last game. We have been starting flat, and allowing opening drives to get into the end zone, but seem to be changing pretty quick and not allowing much there after.

The first game it was that we weren't prepared on offense at all and Cutler looked lost. So I blame that on coaching. So, did we "not adjust" in game one until halftime... Not sure. We dragged our feet in game four to be certain.

Against Seattle they had a second string QB in there and while they couldn't close the deal on lots of drives, they had an easy time of it against our ill-prepared D for the most part.

They earned my respect a touch for the Pitt game because we were much better prepared entering the game but we'd just come off playing a 3-4 so we damn well should've been.

Hey, 3-1 is as good as we could've hoped for before the season began. But I don't think Green Bay is even the best team we've played and we found a way to lose to them. I want these guys better prepared and then I want to see coaches reacting more quickly. But I admit it's tough to do when you're working with a bunch of second teamers, particularly on D.

The first game it was that we weren't prepared on offense at all and Cutler looked lost. So I blame that on coaching. So, did we "not adjust" in game one until halftime... Not sure. We dragged our feet in game four to be certain.

I don't know. Honestly, I am not often shy to criticize our staff, but I think this was far more about players. Heading into game one, I do not think we expected out OL to be as bad as they were, nor for us to not have any run game at all. Further, while it was not all Cutler, at the same time, he was not throwing the ball well either. You can say we should have been better prepared, but IMHO, this game may have simply been more about execution than prep. Frankly, our execution was so poor that it is hard to even know what the game plan was.

Against Seattle they had a second string QB in there and while they couldn't close the deal on lots of drives, they had an easy time of it against our ill-prepared D for the most part.

But you have to realize, that is also part of the system. Hey, I am no fan of this system, but regardless whether Lovie wants to call it one, we play a sort of bend-don't-break system. Love doesn't want to use that term, but he himself has said we want to (a) prevent the big play and (B) force teams to drive the field w/ many snaps, as he believes at some point, we will make a stand. Again, I don't like the system, but you can't really say we were not prepared because we let them move the ball and gain yards, but prevented them from "closing the deal" as that is simply ous system. Now, if you want to bash the system itself, you will find a partner in me.

I also have to point to execution here again. Everyone talks about pass rush being a key to our scheme, but another HUGE key is tackling, and we were simply weak in this regard. You can say we should practice tackling, particularly in camp, more than we do (and I would agree) but as I understand it, few teams do anymore as they want to limit the injury potential. At the end of the day though, these are NFL players and they should be capable of making tackles. In the Seattle game, we were simply missing tackles, and that is plain and simple execution.

They earned my respect a touch for the Pitt game because we were much better prepared entering the game but we'd just come off playing a 3-4 so we damn well should've been.

Big Ben has looked pretty good in the passing game this year, and I think we did a very good job against them.

Hey, 3-1 is as good as we could've hoped for before the season began. But I don't think Green Bay is even the best team we've played and we found a way to lose to them. I want these guys better prepared and then I want to see coaches reacting more quickly. But I admit it's tough to do when you're working with a bunch of second teamers, particularly on D.

I agree 100% that we have not done a very good job preparing for each game, and that is too often reflected in how teams play so well against us early. At the same time, my only argument is in whether we wait until half time to adjust, as I think we have adjusted much sooner and more on the fly this year than I have seen in the past.

Frankly, our execution was so poor that it is hard to even know what the game plan was.

Sad but true. But... I think the execution improved so dramatically in the second half and in the following games, for me, it was lack of preparation. And not "Rex Grossman wanting to party on New Years Eve" lack of preparation but rather "Coach Turner really screwed the pooch" type of lack of preparation.

None of this will matter if we don't get healthier. You can prepare these guys very well but if you don't have the horses, you're not going to compete. And in this regard, I give the coaching staff a lot of credit. We've won 3 games with lots of excuses not to.

I'm not to worried. In the past few years we have complained about our coaches inability to make halftime adjustments. Now this year we have been making those adjustments and we play great in the 2nd half. Of course I wish we could play great all the time and I would like to see us trying to make changes before halftime. I think I heard the biggest adjustment we made was we shifted our CB's and had Tillman on Johnson instead of Bowman and it paid off big time as Johnson only got 24 yards in the 2nd half.

This year we have complained about the offense's inability to start a game and they responded by smacking Detroit to begin the game. With all of the adjustments that I see the coaches making and some players stepping up and putting the bodies on the line(cutler) I am not to worried. I think you are going to start seeing a different defense after the bye as it looks like we will be getting ALL injured players back except Urlacher of course. I guess my only question is with the great play that we have seen from Roach do we possibly try to move him to middle and take over for Hillenmeyer. Nothing against Hilly at all as I love the guy but I think Roach is a better player who plays faster and more physical.

I think Hunter has lost his job, injury or no. Frankly, I think the staff has always preferred Roach anyway. Remember, last year Roach beat Hunter midseason for the job. Staff just likes his speed and athleticism more, and inside at MLB, that is even more an issue than at SLB.

Personally, I still just do not see the great play from Roach others do. To me, he struggles getting off blocks. He doesn't plug the hole (you know what I mean). Angles are questionable. Maybe the standard is simply too high (Urlacher). While I am not saying Hunter is better, I just don't see the reason for all the huge hype he has been getting.

Frankly, I still wonder if we are not better off w/ Pisa inside and Roach back outside.

I'm not to worried. In the past few years we have complained about our coaches inability to make halftime adjustments. Now this year we have been making those adjustments and we play great in the 2nd half. Of course I wish we could play great all the time and I would like to see us trying to make changes before halftime. I think I heard the biggest adjustment we made was we shifted our CB's and had Tillman on Johnson instead of Bowman and it paid off big time as Johnson only got 24 yards in the 2nd half.

This year we have complained about the offense's inability to start a game and they responded by smacking Detroit to begin the game. With all of the adjustments that I see the coaches making and some players stepping up and putting the bodies on the line(cutler) I am not to worried. I think you are going to start seeing a different defense after the bye as it looks like we will be getting ALL injured players back except Urlacher of course. I guess my only question is with the great play that we have seen from Roach do we possibly try to move him to middle and take over for Hillenmeyer. Nothing against Hilly at all as I love the guy but I think Roach is a better player who plays faster and more physical.

One thing I'm bewildered by is whay wasn't Tillman on Calvin in the first place? When did Bowman get the top receiver?

Thank you. Watching the game, I just could not understand why we were having our more green CB covering one of the games most elite WRs. Even Tillman is going to need help over the top on a WR like CJ. In the first half, not only were we putting Bowman on CJ, but we often had him on an island. In the 2nd half, not only did we shift Tillman over to CJ's side, but per all reports, we also began to play a more pure cover two where a safety was helping Tillman over the top.

I just could not understand, and still can't now, why we (a) had Bowman covering CJ and/or why (B) we left him on an island.

One thing I'm bewildered by is whay wasn't Tillman on Calvin in the first place? When did Bowman get the top receiver?

Add that to the list of the unsolved!

Thank you. Watching the game, I just could not understand why we were having our more green CB covering one of the games most elite WRs. Even Tillman is going to need help over the top on a WR like CJ. In the first half, not only were we putting Bowman on CJ, but we often had him on an island. In the 2nd half, not only did we shift Tillman over to CJ's side, but per all reports, we also began to play a more pure cover two where a safety was helping Tillman over the top.

I just could not understand, and still can't now, why we (a) had Bowman covering CJ and/or why (B) we left him on an island.