Special teams won this game

Connorbear

While I agree we won the special teams battle there is no way that was the sole difference in this game. Our offense played well, and in the second half the D played well too. IMO in the second half I think we managed to hit on all cylinders and it was something Detroit simply had no answer for.

While I agree we won the special teams battle there is no way that was the sole difference in this game. Our offense played well, and in the second half the D played well too. IMO in the second half I think we managed to hit on all cylinders and it was something Detroit simply had no answer for.

Special Teams was the key because it made sure the offense didn't have to go far for a score. I'm not taking anything away from the great D in the 2nd half who went for jugular and put an opponent away. Great half time adjustment. This is the first time all year that Cutler wasn't forced to do anything in the 4th quarter, it was really nice to see especially considering that was in thanks to the running game finally shwoing up. Great time for the bye week as we should be close to fully healthy for week 6 as we have a couple of good games coming up and we will need them. Lets start with a little revenge on Atlanta.

Detroit's ST was so late getting their on punt coverage, their KR's and PR's were muffing and fumbling kicks and punts all day, and then they obviously gave up the TD to Knox. Detroit's ST is brutal.

ST is probably the last area to see improvement as a team emerges from massive suckitude. It takes a while to develop that bench depth that delivers the ST's coach guys who can actually play. At this stage, Detroit is focused on skill position players and in finding guys who can help keep Stafford alive. As they rebuild, they'll find those guys.

With that said, I've always claimed that the difference between great teams and average teams in the league wasn't a huge gap in talent. And I'd say the same thing for teams that suck and average teams. I think this is proven out year after year when we see teams go from a few wins to competing for playoff spots the next. And the other way around too.

Detroit has beaten the odds, however, in that they've SUCKED for a lot longer than most.

Man do I disagree w/ that.

While I am not saying our secondary is good, I think our trenches is far worse.

On the OL, we flat out suck. Further, I would argue that we need to do more to protect our franchise investment. Cutler is getting hit way to often, and we need to change that. We have 3 OL who are not young. Pace needs to be replaced now. Kreutz has been going downhill for some time. Garza is actually playing better than I expected, but he is no spring chicken either. Williams has been awful IMHO, and while he is young and could still develop, OL seem to develop more quickly and he simply doesn't appear destined for great things. Omiyale has switched positions, so who knows, but he has looked like trash thus far.

I love what our offense has done, but we have a franchise QB and need to protect him.

As for the defense, secondary is not good, but the better the pass rush, the better the secondary looks. Right now, we are getting good play from the DEs, but 2 of our 3 DEs are due to hit FA. Inside though just flat out sucks.

Again, it isn't that I love our secondary. Far from it. But in terms of priority, secondary would be well behind OL and DL for me.

The Bears number one need is secondary

Man do I disagree w/ that.

While I am not saying our secondary is good, I think our trenches is far worse.

On the OL, we flat out suck. Further, I would argue that we need to do more to protect our franchise investment. Cutler is getting hit way to often, and we need to change that. We have 3 OL who are not young. Pace needs to be replaced now. Kreutz has been going downhill for some time. Garza is actually playing better than I expected, but he is no spring chicken either. Williams has been awful IMHO, and while he is young and could still develop, OL seem to develop more quickly and he simply doesn't appear destined for great things. Omiyale has switched positions, so who knows, but he has looked like trash thus far.

I love what our offense has done, but we have a franchise QB and need to protect him.

As for the defense, secondary is not good, but the better the pass rush, the better the secondary looks. Right now, we are getting good play from the DEs, but 2 of our 3 DEs are due to hit FA. Inside though just flat out sucks.

Again, it isn't that I love our secondary. Far from it. But in terms of priority, secondary would be well behind OL and DL for me.

I agree about upgrading the oline but I would look to keep both the DE FA's and then look to get 1 in the draft. I think we are much more desire to get a DT though instead of DE. And for anyone who thinks our Oline sucks just look up north to GB. I know what my friend is saying and he is a Packer fan lol.

DE - It may not be as easy as you think to simply re-sign our two FA DEs. Wale is 2nd in the NFC in sacks w/ 4.5. While I am not going to assume he will maintain this pace (that would give him 18 sacks) I can see him reaching double digits and even getting as many as maybe 12. 12 Sack DEs tend to be paid a lot of money. He is 32 years old, and I am not sure we will want to give him so much. Many teams may balk due to the age, but there are always desperate teams willing to over-look age and see nothing beyond the most recent stats.

Anderson is another story. I definitely can see us getting him back, but just don't assume it happens. Even if we do keep him though, is Brown/Anderson going to make you feel confident?

DT - IMHO, this is just ugly. Per Lovie, the DT is position the entire cover two plays off. You need that disruptive under center DT. Harris just looks weak IMHO, and I question how much we should really ever again expect from him. I really like Adams, but (a) just don't feel the staff shares my feelings and (B) even if the staff wants to keep Adams around, he does nothing to pressure the passer. Harrison just hasn't shown much other than the ability to get out of shape. The simple of it is, our current DT crop is a weakness, and it is not likely to get much better.

OL - GB's OL looked bad, no doubt, but that doesn't make me feel any better about ours.

I agree about upgrading the oline but I would look to keep both the DE FA's and then look to get 1 in the draft. I think we are much more desire to get a DT though instead of DE. And for anyone who thinks our Oline sucks just look up north to GB. I know what my friend is saying and he is a Packer fan lol.

DE - It may not be as easy as you think to simply re-sign our two FA DEs. Wale is 2nd in the NFC in sacks w/ 4.5. While I am not going to assume he will maintain this pace (that would give him 18 sacks) I can see him reaching double digits and even getting as many as maybe 12. 12 Sack DEs tend to be paid a lot of money. He is 32 years old, and I am not sure we will want to give him so much. Many teams may balk due to the age, but there are always desperate teams willing to over-look age and see nothing beyond the most recent stats.

Anderson is another story. I definitely can see us getting him back, but just don't assume it happens. Even if we do keep him though, is Brown/Anderson going to make you feel confident?

DT - IMHO, this is just ugly. Per Lovie, the DT is position the entire cover two plays off. You need that disruptive under center DT. Harris just looks weak IMHO, and I question how much we should really ever again expect from him. I really like Adams, but (a) just don't feel the staff shares my feelings and (B) even if the staff wants to keep Adams around, he does nothing to pressure the passer. Harrison just hasn't shown much other than the ability to get out of shape. The simple of it is, our current DT crop is a weakness, and it is not likely to get much better.

OL - GB's OL looked bad, no doubt, but that doesn't make me feel any better about ours.

I don't think Wale will keep up the torrid pace but I agree with your assessment of 12 sacks though. However, I am sure he would give us a hometown discount for the fact that he is near the end of his career and I am sure he would want a ring and can possibly get it with us if he sticks around. I am not sure about Anderson, I know he has been pretty good this year so far but I am not sure what to think because of the last 2 years. I agree with DT of course because outside of the INT by Harris, he hasn't done much and even with that he fell down and when he got back up the ball was right there for him. I don't particularly care for Adams as much as others do because he isn't consistent. I would like to see what Gilbert can possibly do though. Its not like he can do worse than the current group has so far.

While Lt2 would disagree, I go off the assumption that we will have a deal in place.

If there is no deal in place, then we (a) have no salary cap and (B) players have to have like 5 years under their belt before being UFAs, or something like that. Anyway, if there is no deal in place, not many of us can really even speculate as owners have threatened lockout, which means signing Anderson would be the least of our concerns.

So I just assume we have a deal in place, and if that is the case, than it is my understanding that Anderson would be a FA.

Does Anderson actually hit FA this year given the CBA situation?