T.O. a good fit in Chicago?

GreatScott82

The Bills are 1-4 and by all means already out of it. That being said I could see Buffalo trading T.O. for a 3rd or 4th round pick mid season. I mentioned it today with my buddy on the phone and sure enough ESPN Insider has mentioned this.

ESPN Insider

Thoughts? Would you consider it? T.O., Knox, Hester, Bennett with Forte, Olsen and Clark. I'd do it!!

The Bills are 1-4 and by all means already out of it. That being said I could see Buffalo trading T.O. for a 3rd or 4th round pick mid season. I mentioned it today with my buddy on the phone and sure enough ESPN Insider has mentioned this.

ESPN Insider

Thoughts? Would you consider it? T.O., Knox, Hester, Bennett with Forte, Olsen and Clark. I'd do it!!

I just saw that too. No do not do it,that will be less time for our younger guys. He just might be on the quick slide down in his abilities.

Pass.

Boldin, yes. But they'd want more.

ESPN Insider

I don't think we need help at WR, or at least it is not the top concern. So I would hate to give up a pick for something we don't really need.

Crazy to read this. Just a month ago there were very few people with me on the "Bears WRs are pretty good, just unproven" bandwagon.

I also say pass to TO, but not because we couldn't use a stud WR. After seeing him play a few games in Buffalo, I just think that he may not be the stud WR any more.

Discussed on Mike and Mike this morning. I am not sure who they were talking too, but they were talking to an NFL guy. He said it would make sense for Buffalo to trade TO as they are heading no where and he is a FA after the season. At the same time, he also said he doesn't see a trade happening. He pointed out how TO got so little attention in the offseason that he questioned why a team that wasn't willing to sign him then would now give up picks for him.

I have made my point on this in the past. I want no part of TO. We have a pretty good thing going right now. No, we do not have a stud WR, but (a) I question to what extent TO is a stud anymore and (B) I like the development we are seeing in our current young WRs, which would take a backseat if we added a WR like TO who is going to demand the ball. And this does not even touch on the chemistry issue.

ESPN Insider

Discussed on Mike and Mike this morning. I am not sure who they were talking too, but they were talking to an NFL guy. He said it would make sense for Buffalo to trade TO as they are heading no where and he is a FA after the season. At the same time, he also said he doesn't see a trade happening. He pointed out how TO got so little attention in the offseason that he questioned why a team that wasn't willing to sign him then would now give up picks for him.

I have made my point on this in the past. I want no part of TO. We have a pretty good thing going right now. No, we do not have a stud WR, but (a) I question to what extent TO is a stud anymore and (B) I like the development we are seeing in our current young WRs, which would take a backseat if we added a WR like TO who is going to demand the ball. And this does not even touch on the chemistry issue.

I agree with your 2nd point. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him for the right price but I would much rather fix the Oline and the secondary before I go adding a TO or any stud WR for that matter.

Just to make my point clear, I would not want to add TO, even if we first upgraded the OL and secondary. I simply do not want him on our team as I believe he hurts teams more than helps.

I agree with your 2nd point. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him for the right price but I would much rather fix the Oline and the secondary before I go adding a TO or any stud WR for that matter.

Again, going back to the Mike and Mike segment this morning, the NFL guy they were talking to mentioned how many teams have lost OL, specifically LTs, this year. Not all season ending, but the point made was how high the demand is right now for OL help. Thus, I am not sure we will see a "if the price if right" situation here.

There are some teams that will be looking to trade good players for picks. I would not go for T.O. but if a team wanted to give up a good young OLman, hell yes, if the price was right.

Let's not forget that before he left Dallas he had games when he dropped key passes. People confuse Dallas' current woes on the fact that a less than confident Willaims should not have replaced T.O., with their inability to stop people. I think that bringing in T.O. as a number one would mess with the chemistry of this young team. How will we know if Cutler can make our young recievers the next Marshall and Royal.

How will we know if Cutler can make our young recievers the next Marshall and Royal.

Jay may make them Eddie Royal and well Eddie Royal. No one on this team is going to be Brandon Marshall. They don't have the size in height or thickness to outleap players and break the tackles. Marshall is 6'4 230 pounds.

Owens is 6'3 and 225. He had 13, 15 and 10 TD seasons respectively the last 3. He brings an element that this team doesn't have in the WR copse lacks.

That said, with the line in it's current state, I think it's a waste of a draft pick bringing him in. I think this team is more set up to be a contender next year and the following years, than playmaker away on O to win. Jay has to rush his passes and a consistent runniing game hasn't been established this year.

No way! We don't need that malcontent in our locker room. We are a contender without him! Were a 3-1 football team and we have alot of youth at WR coming along nicely with the surprise of Knox. Adding T.O for a year doesn't do us any good except make us the center of attention in the media. The first time Cutler misses Owens when he's open, your going to here about it. You saw him in Dallas get pissed after a WIN because he only caught 2 passes. He's the one WR I'd pass on at all costs because he will destroy your team. However, I'd still take a Chad Johnson because he's just a showman, T.O = Cancer.

I agree about OchoCinco. He is just out there having alot of fun, of course its at the expense of the other team but at least he doesn't single handley destroy a team from within. Neither one of them has won anything in there career but at least Ochocinco comes with alot less gray hairs and red flags.

Guest TerraTor

Rather get defensive help in the secondary and save the picks for a New MLB

WR is well known as one of the most prima dona positions, and it seems like there are very few good to upper tier WRs who do not come w/ some amount of baggage. Still, I think it is worth looking at what sort of baggage they have, as all these WRs seem get lumped into the same category.

To me, there are three types (generally).

A. Clowns. They do stuff that might get them in some trouble, particularly w/ the league, and may even get the team in trouble at times during a game w/ flags. They run at the mouth, both on and off the field, but really, they are just having fun. When Chad Johnson talked after the Baltimore game, and we saying he was going to have to find a way to get Ray Lewis, it was done in fun. When he finds new ways to celebrate a TD, it is in fun. When he changes his name, he is just trying to have fun w/ life. The league today doesn't really like such actions, but while a player like this may be somewhat of a distraction, I don't view them as totally negative. Joe Horn and his hidden cell phone also come to mind.

B. Criminal. Think Chris Henry or Brandon Marshall. On the field, they are more business. Players usually don't have a big problem w/ them in the locker room. But they are just thugs who can't handle life off the field. Whether they are the instigator, or simply incapable of picking friends and always seeming to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, they guys just spent far too much time in front of a judge or in their attorneys office.

C. Cancers. Yup. This would be TO. Many put TO in the same category as Marshall, but I don't think that is right. That I can recall, TO has never run up against the law. He doesn't get into legal trouble, but his trouble is another sort. At times, he is a clown, and if that was the worst of it, I wouldn't have an issue w/ him. But TO is plain and simple a locker room cancer. Every team he has been on (not counting Buffalo) he has divided the team. He sets the bar for throwing his QB under the bus. Just as bad though, he always seems to create a clic or group of players who support him, and do so against other players on the team. In Dallas, I recall several players being on his side against Romo/Witten and some others, which only made a bad situation worse. I recall the fight in Phily w/ (I believe) Trotter, and how divided the team seemed to be, w/ players seeming to take sides. Its bad enough when you have a situation like we had w/ Benson, where a player is not popular w/ most all of the team, but w/ TO, its worse IMHO as he divides the team and has a bunch of players on one side against a large group of other players.

I wanted to chime in because this is something I have talked about for a while. Some make out as if fans like me only want to consider choir boys. That isn't the case. When I look at the prima dona WRs, it isn't that I would not consider any. But no, I would rather avoid the cancer players like TO, as well as the worst criminal players. I am not talking about a player who has one or maybe two infractions, but more against those like Marshall and Henry, who simply have such a track record that I think there is a high expectation they will get into trouble again. Clowns can create a headache at times, but if they produce, you can take two asprin and deal w/ it. I don't think production or asprin compensate for the harsher criminals or cancers.

I agree about OchoCinco. He is just out there having alot of fun, of course its at the expense of the other team but at least he doesn't single handley destroy a team from within. Neither one of them has won anything in there career but at least Ochocinco comes with alot less gray hairs and red flags.

WR is well known as one of the most prima dona positions, and it seems like there are very few good to upper tier WRs who do not come w/ some amount of baggage. Still, I think it is worth looking at what sort of baggage they have, as all these WRs seem get lumped into the same category.

To me, there are three types (generally).

A. Clowns. They do stuff that might get them in some trouble, particularly w/ the league, and may even get the team in trouble at times during a game w/ flags. They run at the mouth, both on and off the field, but really, they are just having fun. When Chad Johnson talked after the Baltimore game, and we saying he was going to have to find a way to get Ray Lewis, it was done in fun. When he finds new ways to celebrate a TD, it is in fun. When he changes his name, he is just trying to have fun w/ life. The league today doesn't really like such actions, but while a player like this may be somewhat of a distraction, I don't view them as totally negative. Joe Horn and his hidden cell phone also come to mind.

B. Criminal. Think Chris Henry or Brandon Marshall. On the field, they are more business. Players usually don't have a big problem w/ them in the locker room. But they are just thugs who can't handle life off the field. Whether they are the instigator, or simply incapable of picking friends and always seeming to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, they guys just spent far too much time in front of a judge or in their attorneys office.

C. Cancers. Yup. This would be TO. Many put TO in the same category as Marshall, but I don't think that is right. That I can recall, TO has never run up against the law. He doesn't get into legal trouble, but his trouble is another sort. At times, he is a clown, and if that was the worst of it, I wouldn't have an issue w/ him. But TO is plain and simple a locker room cancer. Every team he has been on (not counting Buffalo) he has divided the team. He sets the bar for throwing his QB under the bus. Just as bad though, he always seems to create a clic or group of players who support him, and do so against other players on the team. In Dallas, I recall several players being on his side against Romo/Witten and some others, which only made a bad situation worse. I recall the fight in Phily w/ (I believe) Trotter, and how divided the team seemed to be, w/ players seeming to take sides. Its bad enough when you have a situation like we had w/ Benson, where a player is not popular w/ most all of the team, but w/ TO, its worse IMHO as he divides the team and has a bunch of players on one side against a large group of other players.

I wanted to chime in because this is something I have talked about for a while. Some make out as if fans like me only want to consider choir boys. That isn't the case. When I look at the prima dona WRs, it isn't that I would not consider any. But no, I would rather avoid the cancer players like TO, as well as the worst criminal players. I am not talking about a player who has one or maybe two infractions, but more against those like Marshall and Henry, who simply have such a track record that I think there is a high expectation they will get into trouble again. Clowns can create a headache at times, but if they produce, you can take two asprin and deal w/ it. I don't think production or asprin compensate for the harsher criminals or cancers.

Nice analysis - thanks.

Peace :dabears