Cutler extended thru 2013

adam

Per Rotoworld:

Bears agreed to terms with QB Jay Cutler on a two-year extension through 2013, including $30 million in "new" money and $20 million guaranteed.

It's essentially a "new" four and a half year deal (including what's left of 2009), and will come in at around $50 million total. The 3-2 Bears are obviously pleased with his play. Cutler's completion rate is a career-high 64.0, and he's on pace to throw for 32 touchdowns and 3,844 yards. Cutler has quickly surpassed Matt Forte as the centerpiece of Chicago's offense while helping raw young wideouts Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, and Earl Bennett become dangerous weapons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3608

Confirmed via NFL.com:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/20/bears-cutl...ract-extension/

Sounds like a great deal financially for the Bears. I am surprised Cutler's camp did not demand a longer and larger deal.

If there's anyway that the Chargers don't resign Marcus McNeill, I'd offer him whatever he wanted. He's a stud LT and he's only 25. I'd give him $10m+ per year, and I'm not exaggerating.

New deal. I like it. I like him. Smile.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4581192

Damn! I thought we'd be trading him to Denver for Orton!!! (We'd probably have to give up 2 #1's also)

I'm smiling! For better or for worse, he's our guy.

I admit I'm a little suprirsed it's just for 2 years. I'd have thought he'd have gotten a deal similar to Eli or Rivers . . . one of those 100 million $$$ deals.

If there's anyway that the Chargers don't resign Marcus McNeill, I'd offer him whatever he wanted. He's a stud LT and he's only 25. I'd give him $10m+ per year, and I'm not exaggerating.

Yeah, we definitely need to at least acquire 1 solid OL via Free Agency.

At this point I don't think you can put a dollar range on a stud OL. We have to keep Cutler standing tall. When he doesn't have to run around he is extremely good

It's only two years, but its an extension on what he already had, thus its for 4 seasons. As the article said, it sounds like he and his agent were going for the sure thing (deal now) rather than risk what may or may not happen w/ the CBA issues.

What I would really like to know is, are we still within the time frame to allocate some of that money toward the current season's cap space?

Damn! I thought we'd be trading him to Denver for Orton!!! (We'd probably have to give up 2 #1's also)

I'm smiling! For better or for worse, he's our guy.

I admit I'm a little suprirsed it's just for 2 years. I'd have thought he'd have gotten a deal similar to Eli or Rivers . . . one of those 100 million $$$ deals.

Not a bad number based on what I've seen of him so far. We were already paying him well over 10million/yr for his final year of his rookie contract. We just added 50%, even though the new owners/players agreement is still in limbo. If his 30 year old contract really does turn out to be enormous, that can only be a good thing. It'll mean he played like a franchise QB for these next 4&1/2 years.

Not a bad number based on what I've seen of him so far. We were already paying him well over 10million/yr for his final year of his rookie contract. We just added 50%, even though the new owners/players agreement is still in limbo. If his 30 year old contract really does turn out to be enormous, that can only be a good thing. It'll mean he played like a franchise QB for these next 4&1/2 years.

Totally agree, this deal works for everyone. It gives him an extension, gives the Bears time to build around him and evaluate if he truly is the best fit for the Bears (not saying he isn't or that I'm not thrilled with him), and if the next deal is big it means that he has done what we brought him here to do. It also stabilizes the QB position so we can address the other need areas on the team. Namely OL and many have pointed out it does help to have a franchise QB if he's constantly being pounded, harassed and generally running for his life down after down. Next priority is evaluate, and come up with a plan to fix the OL.

So far, we tend to bounce back after losses. I hope that remains true. We also tend to fold after long breaks. Since we have no more breaks, maybe we roll. And on that note, I hope we don't get a first round bye in the playoffs! ;)

This is also some assurance from the organization that Cutler is our QB. Something that he was not getting from Denver. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out hot on Sunday.

So far, we tend to bounce back after losses. I hope that remains true. We also tend to fold after long breaks. Since we have no more breaks, maybe we roll. And on that note, I hope we don't get a first round bye in the playoffs! ;)

Actually we do have another short break coming up as next week we play on Thursday.