Did Lance Briggs just call out Smith?

madlithuanian

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ic-benson-.html

10/22/2009

Lance Briggs: No-huddle, Pisa's injury, Ochocinco, Cedric Benson

Atlanta week was exciting, especially when you’re playing against a team of that caliber. You want to come in and make a statement about who you are as a team.

Once a team starts to go no-huddle, you have a different type of procedure where we have wristbands on and we’re looking to get the calls out much faster. It’s just being more efficient. In order to be more efficient, we might do numbers or have the whole team look to the sideline to get the call instead of having to echo it all around … just a way of combating it.

You never know when a team is going to go no-huddle. It’s different for Lovie (Smith) because he’s making the calls. He’s got to get the calls in a lot faster. For us, we just have to wait for the call and play.

Losing Pisa Tinoisamoa, I just feel bad. First game he comes back, he goes down again. It’s terribly unfortunate. As teammates, the best thing we can do for him and Brian Urlacher is win. We all have to play well enough to get deals like Jay Cutler's (kidding).

I’ve been doing this for a long time. We all know what the risks are playing the game. If an injury happens, it happens. But I don’t go in thinking, "Hey, I don’t want to get hurt right now.’’ You just go in and play hard.

I had a chance to scoop and score against Atlanta. When the ball came out, I was already on the run headed to the ball. I had a good, clean swipe at it. Had I grabbed the ball and not let it slip out of my hands and scored a touchdown, this wouldn’t even be a discussion. It would be more like, ``Wow, that was a great play, smart thinking!" It was smart thinking: I just didn’t complete the task. Everybody joked about it. As soon as I came out, Bob Babich was like, "Wow, you missed it. That was a touchdown.’’

On a serious level, it’s something that should never happen. That’s one of those opportunities that help the team win. We lose a game by seven points. If I would have just fell on it or tripped or whatever, it puts us in position to do something.

Chad Ochocinco, I haven’t really had a chance to think about what he’s said (on Twitter). This Lance Armstrong plays downhill. If he wants to meet me at the bottom of the hill, I’ll tell him, "You might want to get off the tracks when the train is coming through. Choo Choo!!!’’

I don’t have Twitter. I’m not into that. That’s not me.

With Cedric Benson, we didn’t go after him in practice (back in 2006). But that comment was made to reporters, and I remembered it. I’m just saying, "Here’s your shot, here’s your chance (for revenge).’’ What happens with his personal life and with his personal issues is all him. I’ve got nothing to do with it. All I am is an ex-teammate

I agree. But I still think that's a big blemish on Smith. He didn't get the play out in time...nor did he give instruction before-hand on what to do if the play isn't fast and forth-coming.

No, I don't think he's calling him out. I think he's mearly talking about how when the Bears do it, they still have the coach call the shots where maybe other teams defenses maybe have there MIKE call the plays in those situations?

Not sure where you're getting any "offiensive" vibe from this article, other than it's offensive to see our D look so unprepared for a no huddle...

We could go over every play one by one and find something that was wrong but the defense and Lovie's calls had nothing to do with turnovers in the redzone by our offense.

No, I don't think he's calling him out. I think he's mearly talking about how when the Bears do it, they still have the coach call the shots where maybe other teams defenses maybe have there MIKE call the plays in those situations?

This is where Urlacher would be calling plays on the field in these instances so credit the Falcons for exploiting the young inexperienced MIKE; Nick Roach. Lovie should have been prepared for this scenario..