The Emperor Has No Clothes...

madlithuanian

Sorry, but I just can't disagree more. It is not "just" blitzes and interior that is getting to Cutler. Pace and Williams are getting beaten pretty consistently. Undertand. That doesn't mean every down. Not even Omiyale gets abused every down. But Pace and Williams are getting beaten plenty enough for me to say consistently.

i stated that both are getting beaten occasionally but certainly NOT to the extent you are stating.

To make the point, have you noticed how, in several games now, there are times when our opponent is playing something close to a prevent, rushing only 3 down linemen, and blitzing zero, and yet they are still getting to Cutler. You often see this late in a half or late in a game. I saw it first in GB, but thought it was the 3-4 scheme. But then I watched this happen in the Seattle game, and again in the Cincy game. Even the commentators have harped on this. When an opponent rushes on 3, against our (minimum) 5, Cutler should have all day. But too many times he has not also been pressured, but 2 of the 3 have actually penetrated our front. That is flat out pathetic, and yes, our "bookends" are absolutely a part of this.

yes i have noticed. but where is the pressure coming from? around the the tackles? uhhhh... no.

Omiyale has been the worst. No one is going to question that. But IMHO, Omiyale has at times taken the heat off Pace and Williams, who are also playing flat out awful, but they are getting less hate due to Omiyale.

there is a reason #68 is taking the heat.

But if the QB has to step up in the pocket, sorry, but that means the OTs did not do their job. The OTs are supposed to push the DEs wide (like we see always done w/ our DEs) but our OTs are not doing this. I agree that Cutler has no where to move up because of DTs penetrating (especially on Omiyale) but if the QB has to move up in the pocket, that in itself means the OT did not do his job. The is not supposed to allow the DE a path to the QB. He is supposed to push that edge rusher wide outside, but our OTs are not doing this. Our OTs are simply getting beaten on the edge, allowing the DEs a path the to QB, which is made worse by our interior getting beaten and Cutler having no where to step up in the pocket.

are you serious? watch any offensive tackles and where they are putting the DE's on good blocks. what you are suggesting is rarely ever happening unless the DE's is just plain getting dominated by the tackle or getting help from a RB/TE, the defense's pass rush plain sucks or maybe in video games. on a 5-6 step drop it's absolutely normal for a qb to step up and throw the ball!!! that is what a pocket is for and why it's important to have one.

if you don't agree with this then the best we can agree on is to agree to disagree.

I think both Lovie, and even Angelo, likely have a say here. Sorry, but every report provided had Beekman outplaying Omiyale in camp, and it wasn't even close. I question whether the OC would make the switch. The move to start Omiyale was about (a) contract and (B) putting in the player who was viewed as having more long term upside. Both of those reasons are reasons the GM and coach usually are part of. The coordinator will usually simply go w/ the best available player if given a choice, but I think he was not given a choice. I think this is all Angelo/Lovie.

again i have to disagree. if turner says i want X player to start because he is flat out better i can't believe our gm calls him on the phone and says no. as far as lovie? i have stated this in the past that i don't think he knows enough ABOUT how to run an offense to force a player into the lineup. look at what lovie did with shay.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya. We need a bonafide "on the field" leader. Like Singletary, a Ray Lweis, a Mike Brown...we need a kick ass stud w/ a mindset for the role.

I hope by the time we are potentially ready to take a WR, we find we already have him! Until I see it, I'll continue to think we still need one.

Forte's situation is just so frustrating on so many levels... I wonder if some truth will pop out as season's end that he's been injured...

Its all relative. I actually think Briggs is a decent leader, but again, not the sort we need. He is good, and from what I read, a pretty good natured joker and good for chemistry. He is also a hell of a player, but I just question how much his play or leadership affects those around him. Urlachers play affects others. What I want though is a guy who's play and leadership affect others. Sure, I would happily take Urlacher right now, but we are talking about the future, and for me, that is a future need.

Well, I would make two points. One, by the time the foundation is set, those young WRs we currently have could develop into something far better. Two, it could take time to build the foundation, so we may have a couple years before looking for flavored milk.

I am not sure how critical I was of him last year. I was less high on him in the draft, but more due to liking other players more, rather than disliking Forte. Forte impressed me last year w/ his pass protection and receiving as much, or more, than his running. The one thing that concerned me last year was his upright running, which I have heard others question. This year though, I have no clue what the issue is, but I have come to think it is more than just the OL. When AP and Wolfe have gotten carries, they simply look better. And while some thing he could be hurt, i question if that explains the poor vision he seems to have this year. There is something just wrong this year w/ him. I have no idea what it is. I just hope the staff can figure it out.

The one thing that must be done is getting Beekman in there. That's a quick easy fix. Smith won't fire a soul, so the only hope is he keeps the title and the waterboy becomes the "Executive in Charge of Linemen Activity".

We can't fix everything now but we can fire Harry Hiestand. Losing him can't possibly make our Oline play worse. We can also put Beekman in for Omiyale. Omiyale may yet turn out to be a good player for us as he's still learning a new position but I really think he AT A MINIMUM needs a sideline breather so he can just watch and learn for a bit. If Beekman plays well don't take him out. If Beekman has some struggles give Omiyale a chance to earn it back after a few games. Do something.

I'd like to see a flip flop maybe...

Get Williams on the left and put Pace on the right. Eventually, isn't that where we want Williams?

Agreed. If it goes down hill. get Williams to LT and let him settle in. I think Pace may be done and we are just prolonging the inevitable.

Peace :dabears

Scary! Both our ideas are exactly the same. Except I don't see HH being fired. Smith won't do it. He may "demote" like he did with BBF Babitch.

Disagree w/ the idea we don't know if Pace can play or not. Yes, having Omiyale next to him isn't helping his cause, but (a) Pace has look freaking awful all by himself and (B) Pace is supposed to be the sort of player that benefits the OG, not the other way around.

Pace has been getting killed on the edges. If it was just his getting beat inside, we MIGHT say Omiyale is supposed to help there, but Pace is getting his doors blown off on edge rush moves. He has also racking up quite a few penalties, which is a sure sign a player doesn't have it, as they are essentially having to cheat to compensate for inferior play.

With the understanding this is not going to happen, this is what I would do.

(1) Fire Harry. I think most agree with this. He has not developing anyone. Even Beekman I would question, as Beekman was viewed solely as a C backup and only got a look at OG due to injuries. Even then, it was obvious the staff didn't want to play Beekman at OG. Thus I just can't even credit them with the development he showed last year. While I understand we have not given Harry a lot to work with, that just is not enough of an excuse for just how bad the play of the OL over the years has been. He may be Turner's friend, but Babich was Lovie's BFF and he still was demoted.

(2) Insert Beekman for Omiyale. This is a no brainer everyone seems to agree on. Heck, I would even argue Beekman won the job in camp, but the staff handed Omiyale the start due solely to his contract.

(3) I would flip flop Pace and Williams. While I have no clue whether this would be good or not, I would do it for the following reasons.

(a) The only other team out there interested in Pace in the offseason was Baltimore, who felt he could play RT. Well, I trust their staff more than ours. Further, watching Pace, to me it seems like edge rushers are killing him, but he is looking better against power/bull rushers. While LDEs these days do have speed, they are not usually the fastest DEs on the team, and thus a move to RT may actually help him.

(B) IMHO, it is the opposite for Williams. I think Williams is getting blown up by power rush moves. Even when he is getting beaten on the edge, I think it is often because he is off-balance after the DEs first set him up w/ power rush moves. Williams, expecting a bull rush, starts to compensate, and then when the LDE takes an edge rush path, Williams is already committed to the power rush and gets beaten outside. Putting him on the left side, against faster but weaker DEs may benefit him. Also, I think the long term plan for Williams is at LT. That plan was put on hold after the team "thought" they added a pro bowl quality LT. That wasn't the case. So if we do not have a good LT, there is no reason to delay the development of our 1st round pick at the position the staff felt he was best suited for.

SPOT FREAKIN' ON!!!!

The most UNFORGIVABLE sin Lovie Smith committed Sunday was letting Benson run up and down the field on us. If he had any balls at all, he would have said ya know what, we may lose this game but Benson isn't going to be the reason why and put 8 men in the box just like Houston did. What's worse was he did nothing to stop it. Yeah, we have some bad coordinators and assistants but frankly, I'm done chirping about this assistant or that assistant needing to go. Let's face it, Lovie Smith is the one responsible for this mess. I don't want to hear about lack of talent because he has had input with every single player Angelo has either drafted or brought in as FA. We cannot continue a assistant coach/coordinator carousel here. How many changes are we gonna make before we realize the guy whose hiring these stiffs needs to go? Lovie Smith is too rigid in his approach to this defense. Rivera tweaked it and made it more flexible and less predictable. The most glaring deficiency Smith has is inability to adjust in game. Adjusting after halftime is fine unless of course the shit has already hit the fan and you are 2 minutes into the first qtr. You have got to be more flexible to be successful as a HC. The media guys and fans alike have given Smith every excuse in the book. Now the latest is the money we would owe him. That money is a drop in the bucket for a Billion dollar franchise, especially the founding franchise. Lovie Smith IS the Rex Grossman of Hcs. We can keep giving him one more year but all that will happen is we will do down the line what we should have done this year, fire him. The only problem with doing it klater rather than sooner is the available HC talent pool sitting out there right now.

We absolutely agree on one thing. Omiyale sucks. I think everyone pretty much agrees with that.

But do you think our OL problems are that simple? Most seem to believe (as do I) that Garza is playing pretty decent, at least relative. Kreutz is inconsistent, but I have heard few who believe he is key in our problems. In fact, I think if most were to rank our OL in terms of problem areas, I think most would rank Garza last and Kreutz 2nd from last. Omiyale would not only be first, but would be well in front of the next worst. But I think most would place Pace and Williams as the #2 and #3 problems on our OL this year.

are you serious? watch any offensive tackles and where they are putting the DE's on good blocks. what you are suggesting is rarely ever happening unless the DE's is just plain getting dominated by the tackle or getting help from a RB/TE, the defense's pass rush plain sucks or maybe in video games. on a 5-6 step drop it's absolutely normal for a qb to step up and throw the ball!!! that is what a pocket is for and why it's important to have one.

Huh? Your comments seem to imply you think I expect pancake blocks every down. That I expect the OT to stuff the DE at the LOS, and not give an inch. FAR from that. What I expect from an OT is to force the DE to take a wider angle than one that would otherwise put them square in the path of the QB. You ask if I am serious. You seriously think the job of the OT is to allow a path to the QB? Huh? If the QB has to step up in the pocket to avoid the pass rush of the DE, than the OT did not do his job. The OT is supposed to force the DE to take a wider angle, and thus the DE simply misses the QB. Just watch how our DEs rush every down. They are simply not fast enough to beat the OT off the snap, and thus are forced into such wide angles as they are rendered ineffective. That is what an OT is supposed to do against an edge rushing DE, but that is not what our OTs are doing. Our OTs are getting beat at the snap, and allowing DEs a path to the QB. That is forcing Cutler to move up in the pocket, which has already collapsed thanks to Omiyale. But that doesn't mean the OTs did their job.

As for who decides whether Omiyale starts or not, that is simply up for debate. I am not saying there is no chance it isn't Turner's call, but I question the thinking that the coach has no control or say in the matter. You say Lovie doesn't know enough about the offense. How much does he have to know to see Omiyale getting beat? I would argue that if it is Turner keeping Omiyale in there, then Lovie is failing to do his job as a head coach. If it is not Turner, then Lovie is failing just the same.

The ONLY side of this that gives Lovie a smaller share of the blame is IF Angelo is factored. Whether we as fans like to admit it or not, players who get big contracts or are drafted high are sometimes put into the starting lineup, even if they didn't earn it, and as often as not, it is the GM who is making that call. Just look at the recent story in Tenn, where Bud Adams is reportedly telling Fisher to start Vince Young. That is just an example, but it is seen all the time. A GM's rep is on the line after drafting or signing a player, and that GM knows it is going to hurt personally if his additions prove to be busts.

i stated that both are getting beaten occasionally but certainly NOT to the extent you are stating.

yes i have noticed. but where is the pressure coming from? around the the tackles? uhhhh... no.

there is a reason #68 is taking the heat.

if you don't agree with this then the best we can agree on is to agree to disagree.

again i have to disagree. if turner says i want X player to start because he is flat out better i can't believe our gm calls him on the phone and says no. as far as lovie? i have stated this in the past that i don't think he knows enough ABOUT how to run an offense to force a player into the lineup. look at what lovie did with shay.

I'll start by saying I do not see them practice, and don't know how he has been looking. All I can go off is what I read/heard/saw prior to the season.

All reports seemed to pretty much bash him from camp. For myself, I got to see him in several preseason games. I think we often kept several starting OL in longer than we did the rest of the starters as (a) I think we wanted to see what our backup QB and RBs could do and (B) we had so many new faces, we were trying to develop our starters more. So often when he did get into the game, it was not until later, and against opponents lower string.

So even though Shaeffer was considered a starter when we brought him to the Bears, and even though he was going against guys who were deep depth chart, and some likely out of football all-together, even with all this, I thought he looked awful. He was getting killed. Pace and Williams have been bad, IMHO, but at least we can say they are facing starters. Shaeffer was equally as bad, or worse, against much weaker levels of competition.

Often when things are bad, we as fans want to make a change w/ the belief, "it can't get worse." But too often it does. We said it couldn't get worse than St. Clair/Tait, but I would argue it has been much worse. How many QBs have we played and said, "it can't get any worse," only to see it get much worse?

Again, I have not seen him in practice. Maybe he is looking good in practice. However, going off what I last saw, I don't think he is an option. Further, he is a pure RT, so if he was to play, I think it would be at the expense of Pace (w/ Williams moving to LT) , and I have a hard time seeing us sit Pace.

Somewhat off-prompt, but what is you take on Kevin Shaeffer? Couldn't he possibly be due to see some time?

Gotcha. Thanks for your insight. He's been off my radar... Just was wondering if there was a case to be made. I suppose case is closed! At least until dire injury or utter collapse...

I'll start by saying I do not see them practice, and don't know how he has been looking. All I can go off is what I read/heard/saw prior to the season.

All reports seemed to pretty much bash him from camp. For myself, I got to see him in several preseason games. I think we often kept several starting OL in longer than we did the rest of the starters as (a) I think we wanted to see what our backup QB and RBs could do and (B) we had so many new faces, we were trying to develop our starters more. So often when he did get into the game, it was not until later, and against opponents lower string.

So even though Shaeffer was considered a starter when we brought him to the Bears, and even though he was going against guys who were deep depth chart, and some likely out of football all-together, even with all this, I thought he looked awful. He was getting killed. Pace and Williams have been bad, IMHO, but at least we can say they are facing starters. Shaeffer was equally as bad, or worse, against much weaker levels of competition.

Often when things are bad, we as fans want to make a change w/ the belief, "it can't get worse." But too often it does. We said it couldn't get worse than St. Clair/Tait, but I would argue it has been much worse. How many QBs have we played and said, "it can't get any worse," only to see it get much worse?

Again, I have not seen him in practice. Maybe he is looking good in practice. However, going off what I last saw, I don't think he is an option. Further, he is a pure RT, so if he was to play, I think it would be at the expense of Pace (w/ Williams moving to LT) , and I have a hard time seeing us sit Pace.

Unfortunately, this board too often seems about a year ahead of our staff. And before anyone starts w/ that crap about how we are not worthy because we are not paid by the NFL, stuff it. Every writer seems to be calling out Omiyale, as well as those in the media who are former NFL players, coaches, GMs and scouts. So the fan opinion here is not as worthless as some would like to believe.

And yet, despite seemingly everyone knowing, Omiyale continues to start.

Maybe he does finally get the hook at some point, but the larger issue, IMHO, is that once again, the staff just seems to see what everyone else sees a step (or ten) later.

I think we can all agree on one thing:

Omilaye sucks, and nearly everyone on this board could get at least one sack on him in a real live game. B)

That is seriously sad...

And on the other hand, kudos to a good chunk of posters here that bring it with thought and analysis!

...this staff is always a day late and a dollar short. However, right now, it might be about 7 weeks late, and $11M short...

Unfortunately, this board too often seems about a year ahead of our staff. And before anyone starts w/ that crap about how we are not worthy because we are not paid by the NFL, stuff it. Every writer seems to be calling out Omiyale, as well as those in the media who are former NFL players, coaches, GMs and scouts. So the fan opinion here is not as worthless as some would like to believe.

Maybe he does finally get the hook at some point, but the larger issue, IMHO, is that once again, the staff just seems to see what everyone else sees a step (or ten) later.

lol. I have agreed with some of the thoughts, especially the oline deal, the lack of accountability by the coaches, and the lack of leadership on defense.

But make no mistake, if anyone here had the skill and talent to be an NFL GM, coordinator, or head coach, they would be.

At best this board is the equivalent of a group of guys sitting around complaining about their team sipping some cool ones like the old days. We vent, banter, debate, celebrate, and discuss, but in no way do the words written on these boards make a bit of difference in the NFL universe. And the arrogance to think that it does is hilarity at its finest.

Lets not make the message board more than it is.

lol. I have agreed with some of the thoughts, especially the oline deal, the lack of accountability by the coaches, and the lack of leadership on defense.

But make no mistake, if anyone here had the skill and talent to be an NFL GM, coordinator, or head coach, they would be.

At best this board is the equivalent of a group of guys sitting around complaining about their team sipping some cool ones like the old days. We vent, banter, debate, celebrate, and discuss, but in no way do the words written on these boards make a bit of difference in the NFL universe. And the arrogance to think that it does is hilarity at its finest.

Thank God for the sanity!

The truth hurts. ;)

Thanks for the clarity.

Peace :dabears

As always with this subject, I think you misunderstand the point.

It isn't that I, or anyone here, believes we could or should be a NFL GM or coach. No, the point is really just that just because we are not, doesn't mean our opinions are w/o reason.

Current case in point. Our staff continues to start Omiyale. I am sure you would argue this must be the right move because the GM and coach say so. My argument though is that it isn't simply some full of himself fan w/ a differing opinion, but this also seems to be the opinion of many others who may not today be in the NFL, but are former head coaches, GMs, players, and scouts.

So the point is, sometimes even we as fans can see things, supported by others who even you would have to agree are worthly, yet our staff doesn't agree.

Another I would point to is Pace. 31 teams didn't seem to believe he could anymore play LT. Heck, most didn't believe he could still play at a starter level. The one team that did seem to believe he could still play and start felt he could only do so on the right side. Yet our team seemed to believe they were smarter than the rest. Does it mean our staff was right just because they get a paycheck from the McCaskey's?

It isn't that I, or anyone here, believes we could or should be a NFL GM or coach. No, the point is really just that just because we are not, doesn't mean our opinions are w/o reason.

Current case in point. Our staff continues to start Omiyale. I am sure you would argue this must be the right move because the GM and coach say so. My argument though is that it isn't simply some full of himself fan w/ a differing opinion, but this also seems to be the opinion of many others who may not today be in the NFL, but are former head coaches, GMs, players, and scouts.

So the point is, sometimes even we as fans can see things, supported by others who even you would have to agree are worthly, yet our staff doesn't agree.

Another I would point to is Pace. 31 teams didn't seem to believe he could anymore play LT. Heck, most didn't believe he could still play at a starter level. The one team that did seem to believe he could still play and start felt he could only do so on the right side. Yet our team seemed to believe they were smarter than the rest. Does it mean our staff was right just because they get a paycheck from the McCaskey's?

And as always, you misunderstand the response.

In fact, my whole stance on this started when people started saying that they would be better GM's, HC's, OC's, etc.

I called BS on it and you guys started painting me in some "everything NFLers say is true" light, which BTW I have never EVER said anywhere.

In fact, I agree with alot of what is said here and even by you. I have agreed with the Oline point forever with you guys, I agreed with you on your defense of Turner, I have agreed on the accountability issue. We have also had our differing opinions which is fine.

But when you start saying that the opinions expressed on the board are actually worth something outside of the board, then I call BS. Unless someone posts that works in the NFL, our opinions dont have much value beyond the debates and banters of the board.

And for the record, I agree Omiyale has looked like crap.

Bingo.

X takes a square.

You, sir, are correct.

Rinse. Repeat.

Dude, you need to get past that.

Other obvious things:

1. Water is wet.

2. Mike Ditka has a resturant with his name on it.

3. The Bears play in Soldier Field

4. Most dogs have 4 legs.

5. Soundgarden was a band

Please, we all know we aren't GM's already. But it doesn't discount that an opinion could be correct or have merit. All the while having no chance in hell of finding it's way to someone that has the POWER to do anything about it. We get it. Please move on. Discuss someone's thoughts. Not the fact that that thought won't be listened to by NFL ownership/powers-that-be.

But when you start saying that the opinions expressed on the board are actually worth something outside of the board, then I call BS. Unless someone posts that works in the NFL, our opinions dont have much value beyond the debates and banters of the board.

Dude, you need to get past that.

Other obvious things:

1. Water is wet.

2. Mike Ditka has a resturant with his name on it.

3. The Bears play in Soldier Field

4. Most dogs have 4 legs.

5. Soundgarden was a band

Please, we all know we aren't GM's already. But it doesn't discount that an opinion could be correct or have merit. All the while having no chance in hell of finding it's way to someone that has the POWER to do anything about it. We get it. Please move on. Discuss someone's thoughts. Not the fact that that thought won't be listened to by NFL ownership/powers-that-be.

wait a second, JA or Lovie dovie dont read this board for idea's?????? WTF!!! now im pissed.