Beginning of the end for Harris?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Bears coach Lovie Smith said defensive tackle Tommie Harris is fine, physically, and that the decision to sit him against the Bengals had to do with rest.

Smith expects Harris to be ready to go against the Browns this week.

' 'No, there isn't anything wrong with Tommie,'' Smith said. ``Tommie didn't play this week. It was more of a coach's decision as much as anything.

``He has had some (knee) soreness. He didn't practice all week. I thought we had better options. All player decisions on who's going to dress is a game-day decision: who gives us the best opportunity to play. Could Tommie have played if I wanted him to? Yes. But I thought we could get a better Tommie if we let him rest this past week and get ready for this week.''

Harris, who has been battling left knee issues since 2007, approached the Bears last Friday and said he was ready to play.

Marcus Harrison started in Harris' place against the Bengals.

Tribune

On the other hand, you know Harris is sitting back thinking/saying, "while I may not be playing great, look what happens w/o me." That may be simplifying the whole thing, but you know he is thinking it.

It is only the end of Harris if someone else steps up, and I have yet to see anyone play well. That doesn't mean Harris has played well, but if you want to talk about getting rid of Harris, you better find someone who can play, and I haven't seen our DTs ready to step in.

Tribune

We have DT's?

On the other hand, you know Harris is sitting back thinking/saying, "while I may not be playing great, look what happens w/o me." That may be simplifying the whole thing, but you know he is thinking it.

It is only the end of Harris if someone else steps up, and I have yet to see anyone play well. That doesn't mean Harris has played well, but if you want to talk about getting rid of Harris, you better find someone who can play, and I haven't seen our DTs ready to step in.

Moving Harris frees up a lot of money for the Bears to spend on the oline. Harrison was a huge dissapointment this year. He looked good last season came in this year out of shape and it showed.

What ultimately happens with Melton will be interesting, but I still believe you see a lot of veteran DT's without a job come cap casualty time and the Bears could always sign a quality stop-gap or two while they wait for others to develop.

No need to pay a non-special player 9 mill, when you could use that money towards an olineman or two.

It says a lot that the Bears sat Harris. On one hand, we saw the performance without him, on the other hand, Lovie has watched him play and the fact that he could have played and didn't must be a testament to the fact that Lovie didn't think they were going to be effected much by his abscence.

It didn't sound like his injury was tired and that more or less, this was a DNP due to soreness, which is pretty much nothing.

Who will be available to pick up?

Moving Harris frees up a lot of money for the Bears to spend on the oline. Harrison was a huge dissapointment this year. He looked good last season came in this year out of shape and it showed.

What ultimately happens with Melton will be interesting, but I still believe you see a lot of veteran DT's without a job come cap casualty time and the Bears could always sign a quality stop-gap or two while they wait for others to develop.

No need to pay a non-special player 9 mill, when you could use that money towards an olineman or two.

Who will be available to pick up?

Someone had a list of all the FA's and there are quite a few solid guys available and a few potential pro-bowlers out there. Again, sign one or two good guys (one being an older vet since the Bears won't be dishing out 100 million in contracts to two guys) and than hope Williams and Beekman improve and your alright. Use 2011's 1st rounder on an olineman and that continues to regrow things and use a couple 2010's on some guards and you might be in business.

I love the overall plan. I just don't see the success of it coming as fast as you imply...

Someone had a list of all the FA's and there are quite a few solid guys available and a few potential pro-bowlers out there. Again, sign one or two good guys (one being an older vet since the Bears won't be dishing out 100 million in contracts to two guys) and than hope Williams and Beekman improve and your alright. Use 2011's 1st rounder on an olineman and that continues to regrow things and use a couple 2010's on some guards and you might be in business.

List of FA's on the Oline

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

Marcus McNeil is one of the most intriguing names - Stud LT whose young. San Diego might have some other pressing needs depending on what they ultimately do.

Chad Clifton - Former Packer. Not an elite tackle, but he's 33, would be 34 and still would have a couple years left and be able to buy time until the Bears have a full arsenal of draft picks.

Darryn College - Packer; Better than Clifton, but inexperienced on the left side. Packers will probably go all out to sign him. The better question is why with 2 good tackles is the Packers oline so bad, cause maybe that means this guys are over-hyped.

Jared Gaither - Restricted FA. young, would be a great pick-up, but given the restricted tag we wouldn't have the ammo to get him.

Some good ones there... DOn't want Clifton and College. Too old, too many ?'s... And they were Packers.

List of FA's on the Oline

Marcus McNeil is one of the most intriguing names - Stud LT whose young. San Diego might have some other pressing needs depending on what they ultimately do.

Chad Clifton - Former Packer. Not an elite tackle, but he's 33, would be 34 and still would have a couple years left and be able to buy time until the Bears have a full arsenal of draft picks.

Darryn College - Packer; Better than Clifton, but inexperienced on the left side. Packers will probably go all out to sign him. The better question is why with 2 good tackles is the Packers oline so bad, cause maybe that means this guys are over-hyped.

Jared Gaither - Restricted FA. young, would be a great pick-up, but given the restricted tag we wouldn't have the ammo to get him.

List of FA DB's that could interest the Bears if they wanted to go that route:

Dunta Robinson - Promised that he wouldn't be franchised by the Texans. Entering/In the prime of his football career. Probably commands too much money, although no denying we could use an elite CB. The question is whether he really is an elite CB.

Anthony Bethea - Colts good safety

Nick Collins - Packers good safety