Anyone an ESPN insider member?

madlithuanian

Following a game on Sunday where Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith was "pantsed" by Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, according to Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times, the more rabid of Bears' fans are demanding his head. After all, he is reportedly the league's highest-paid head coach at $5.5 million per season, and that should get the team more than a .500 record after six games, with a healthy Brian Urlacher or not.

On the other hand, David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune thinks there are about 11 million reasons why that won't happen. Not to mention the upwards of six million reasons why one of the big-name free agent coaches won't be seen with a Bears' headset next season either.

Bears GM Jerry Angelo appeared to take a shot at Smith in comments on ChicagoBears.com: "What really surprised me was that we weren't able to make the needed adjustments in terms of slowing [the Bengals] down or stopping them."

Good question. Good players make coaches better. But, I still think there could be much better than Turner. I just hope when Turner is eventually ousted (whether after this season, next or when the Smith regime departs in 2 more years).

I just don't understand how this staff appears not to be able to see the obvious. I fear they have out-thought themselves yet again.

One of the biggest problems with our staff is that they do not appear to put the right players in place at the right time running the right plays.

Here is a question, if we had a good oline, would Turner get the job done?? Second question, why the freak do we not roll Cutler out to help the oline now???

well i guess i cant say the Mcaskeys are cheap anymore.......but why are they overpaying Lovie. How is NE hoodie not the highest paid??

I don't think Bellichick's contract details have ever been released, at least I remember hearing that and have never seen them. No matter if he is the highest paid or not, 5.5 million for Lovie and his .500 record the past 3 years is revolting...more so than paying Tommie Harris anything more than minimum wage for his horrible play. No way are we going to see any kind of quality coach next year...or the year after for that matter...we are stuck with him and his .500 record.

Then again, why should Lovie be any different? Think about it. How many players did pretty well (or better) and pretty much as soon as we paid them, they tanked. If you think about it, very very few players we have re-signed to big contracts actually continued their same solid level of play, much less improved.

Why should Lovie be different from any of the rest.

I don't think Bellichick's contract details have ever been released, at least I remember hearing that and have never seen them. No matter if he is the highest paid or not, 5.5 million for Lovie and his .500 record the past 3 years is revolting...more so than paying Tommie Harris anything more than minimum wage for his horrible play. No way are we going to see any kind of quality coach next year...or the year after for that matter...we are stuck with him and his .500 record.

Then again, why should Lovie be any different? Think about it. How many players did pretty well (or better) and pretty much as soon as we paid them, they tanked. If you think about it, very very few players we have re-signed to big contracts actually continued their same solid level of play, much less improved.

It seems to me that the players aren't buying in any more. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where this staff (Lovie and Turner especially) would ever bring this team back to a championship team. Lovie himself almost seems not to care, if you listen to his post-game conference. "We weren't prepared" he says with no emotion whatsoever.

I heard the talking heads on the Score say it. Not sure if they are correct, but given the amount, if he's not the highest, he's up there. And I think barring someone getting an extention I wasn't aware of...he's the last guy I recall getting one.

Lovie is the league's highest paid coach? Are you kidding me? Is that for real?

Have we reached the age where you should pay larger sums for shorter periods?

I am sure Lovie cares. He doesn't show it, which makes it look worse, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. After the GB game, Cutler was shredded for his press conference where he "appeared" apathetic. I think most would agree he cared, and was very unhappy w/ both his performance and the loss in general, but he just didn't show it, and was blasted for it. Similarly, I am sure Lovie does care, but people are going to go off on him for not showing that emotion enough.

For me, there are plenty of issues to bash Lovie w/o questioning whether or not he cares. I think he cares, but what I question is whether he can do anything about it.

As for the players no longer buying into the system, to be honest, I am not sure they ever did. Urlacher was always pretty vocal about his feelings of the system. He just never liked it. I have also heard Vasher and Alex Brown flat out bash the hell out of the system. I recall also Idonije questiongin the system, though he tried to backtrack after realizing what he was doing.

It seems to me that the players aren't buying in any more. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where this staff (Lovie and Turner especially) would ever bring this team back to a championship team. Lovie himself almost seems not to care, if you listen to his post-game conference. "We weren't prepared" he says with no emotion whatsoever.

I am sure Lovie cares. He doesn't show it, which makes it look worse, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. After the GB game, Cutler was shredded for his press conference where he "appeared" apathetic. I think most would agree he cared, and was very unhappy w/ both his performance and the loss in general, but he just didn't show it, and was blasted for it. Similarly, I am sure Lovie does care, but people are going to go off on him for not showing that emotion enough.

For me, there are plenty of issues to bash Lovie w/o questioning whether or not he cares. I think he cares, but what I question is whether he can do anything about it.

As for the players no longer buying into the system, to be honest, I am not sure they ever did. Urlacher was always pretty vocal about his feelings of the system. He just never liked it. I have also heard Vasher and Alex Brown flat out bash the hell out of the system. I recall also Idonije questiongin the system, though he tried to backtrack after realizing what he was doing.

ESPN insider has articles all the time and the headline makes you want to read it and makes you believe something is good in it. However I am yet to read an article on there yet that has helped what so ever.

You are SO right, it ain't even funny!

They write good taglines, and bad articles!

ESPN insider has articles all the time and the headline makes you want to read it and makes you believe something is good in it. However I am yet to read an article on there yet that has helped what so ever.

You are SO right, it ain't even funny!

They write good taglines, and bad articles!

Thats why I don't even bother paying the money to become an insider. One of my best friends who happens to be a Packer fan is an Insider though and whenever I see a good headline/tagline I send him email to get the article and I haven't read one yet and I don't think he has seen a good one yet either and he has been a member for well over 2 or 3 years now.