Player Personnel Moves I would like to see

nfoligno

Personnel changes I would like to see:

I should first point out that for many of these changes, there is no chance, while others have already been announced. Still, this is a list of moves I think should be considered or done. Also, while scheme and playcalling could add to this list, I am just looking at personnel changes.

Offense:

- Flip flop Pace and Williams. Williams was expected to play LT this year until we brought in a former pro bowler, and Williams was moved to RT w/ the belief that we added a player too good not to start at LT. Well, that is far from the case. To me, there is no reason to continue wasting potential developmental time for Williams at LT. Further, I would argue such a switch may better match the two players to their strengths.

- Beekman for Omiyale - Frankly, Beekman should have never lost his job, as few felt Omiyale won it in camp.

- Clark starts in place of Olsen - I would still play Olsen a lot, but he has simply not stepped up his game this year. His blocking is still poor, and hurting both our QB and RBs. Clark would be an upgrade here. Further, Olsen has dropped too many. Clark may not be the potential playmaker Olsen is, but at this point, I think he is more reliable. Again, I would still use Olsen plenty, and would like to see him outside more, but I would start Clark.

- I debated Knox as a starter, but still like him in the slot and don't want to put too much on the rookie. Also, I don't think Bennett has played poorly, and has been a good receiver for Cutler. I also debated McKie, but the problem is, stats show Forte is a better runner w/ a lead blocker. I would like to have a better FB, but I can only move around personnel we have.

Defense:

- Stick w/ Adams over Harrison. I say this because I think we are about to see Harrison get the starting nod over Adams with Harris back in the lineup. I just don't feel Harrison has earned it, and further, Adams is more solid vs the run, which we saw in Cincy, is an area we can not afford to so easily give up.

- Hunter to MLB and Roach to SLB, which reportedly will happen. I think few would question Roach is more talented, but he just seems mentally slow on the field, which negates his athleticism too much. I think Hunter is a better leader in the middle.

- Graham in for Bowman - To this day I do not understand our attitude for Graham. Bowman has been pretty bad, and far worse than I recall Graham being last year. I would insert Graham at CB.

- DM moves to nickel. Lets get back to what worked. DM was a very good nickel last year. While I do not think he has been awful at FS, he hasn't done anything that good either to speak of. I would put him back at nickel where (a) he has shown his best play and (B) to a position that moves him closer to the LOS, giving us a good blitz option as he has shown to be one of our best blitzers.

- Vasher to FS - I know this move was tried a bit this last game, and many will balk, but why not. I am not sure Vasher would be worse than DM, and may even give us something we haven't gotten thus far.

Payne goes to the bench, and sits there. We have a better option at SS in Afalava, and he is simply not good in coverage, thus isn't an effective FS.

I am sure you were, but that is less likely than a change to our scheme :(

Besides, what is the point of listing the coaching I would change. I would just write the phrase, "all of them" and be done w/ it.

I went ahead and edited it though so others don't get their hopes up

When you said "personnel" moves, I was really hoping it would list coaches. :D

nfo,

I agree that most of those would be good moves. HH should be in the middle, and that move alone may turn the tide on defense. For the OLine, I don't know about the Tackle swap at this point. Williams is having enough trouble on the right side. I like this move, but I don't know how effective it would be during the season. You are right about Olsen, put start Clark and hopefully light a fire under Olsen's ass.

Regarding the OT swap.

Would a move for Williams now be that different than if we had started him at LT in the beginning? Our signing of Pace was fairly late, and the plan/prep for Williams prior to that was on the left side. Further, if Pace went down, don't you think we would move Williams? I would argue that, while Pace may be healthy, his play has been so bad we can treat it similar to there being an injury there.

Williams has struggled on the right side, so I understand the thinking that he could struggle even worse on the left. My rationale is this.

- I believe a big part of Williams struggles on the right side are power based. I have seen him eaten alive by the bull rush. This was a knock coming out of college, and I think is still a problem today. He is getting beaten at times on the outside/edge too, but I think that is due to first being set up w/ the power/bull rushes. Now, I am not saying RDEs are weak, but they are usually not as powerful as the LDEs, so the left side may simply be a better fit for him.

- I also think the move could benefit Pace. For me, Pace has been the opposite. Pace has done better than i think most realize when opponents try to simply bull rush him. Pace's key problem is, IMHO, he just doesn't have the footspeed he used to. He is getting beaten off the snap, and DEs are turning the corner too quickly on him. He just does not have the quickness, burst or athleticism to play against those speed rushers on the right side anymore. A move to the left could really benefit him at this stage of his career. Baltimore felt the same way.

If just one of the two played better, wouldn't that still be a significant improvement? Right now, I would argue we suck at both tackle positions. Some would argue "suck" is too strong of a term, but I don't think so. I think they have been consistently beaten and just bad. I believe only Omiyale playing so bad has saved their image a tad. If the swap saw just one of the two improve, and we had one side solidified, that would be a pretty big upgrade in my eyes.

If neither work out after the swap, then so what. It can't get much worse. And we might know a bit more about the long term potential of Williams at LT if we give him a 1/2 season to work their now.

W/o making the move, and not considering short term issues, I would argue we only hurt ourselves moving forward. Right now, I think most would agree Pace is one and done. We are going to need another OT next year. If we make the move now, we may at least know if we have a LT on the roster. If we don't, we are only guessing.

nfo,

I agree that most of those would be good moves. HH should be in the middle, and that move alone may turn the tide on defense. For the OLine, I don't know about the Tackle swap at this point. Williams is having enough trouble on the right side. I like this move, but I don't know how effective it would be during the season. You are right about Olsen, put start Clark and hopefully light a fire under Olsen's ass.