R. Morrissey rant on Smith saying noithing....

madlithuanian

We've already discussed this here on the forum! Interesting read, even though as of late, Morrissey's been more Mariotti...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,6568918.column

Lovie Smith inanities deserve to be reported

Related

Is Lovie Smith on speaking terms with the truth?

The plain truth and Lovie Smith are not always on speaking terms.

Is that good for the team?

Yes, if you can't say anything nice, how can you fill up a news conference?

No, coaches should be critics (and critics think they could be coaches).

Truthfully, I don't care what Lovie Smith says.

Bears players support coach Smith

Topics

Super Bowl

Philosophy

Neck

See more topics »

XFootball

Chicago Bears

Lovie Smith When Chicago Bears coach talks, he doesn't say anything, but his words must be heard to be disbelieved

Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

November 4, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size I woke up Tuesday morning contemplating a boycott of Lovie Smith. This concerned me because it seemed to suggest I had just dreamed of the dull Bears coach, which would mean that even my dreams put me to sleep. And I'm confused enough as it is.

Anyway, the boycott: My thought was that until Smith said something both interesting and truthful (early bet: 2018), no utterances of his would show up in this column space.

How much better the world would be! How much more peaceful! That vein on your neck would stop pulsating!

No longer would we have to stand by as Smith blinked impassively at a scattering of bird droppings and then proclaimed it impressionistic art.

On Monday, having analyzed the video of his team's woeful offensive performance against Cleveland, Lovie's search party found a way to put the game in the most gracious terms. You were left to wonder whether he's teaching football or Intro to Positive Self-Esteem.

"I feel good about what we're doing offensively," he told reporters. "There are some things we need to do a little bit better, which we'll do and go from there."

Since he arrived here in 2004, "and we'll go from there" has been Smith's stock way of saying, "Not only have I not answered you honestly, but now I'm dismissing your question and moving on to the next question that I'll avoid."

So why put ourselves through this? Why take it anymore?

As a public service, I pondered the possibility of never quoting the Lovester. I would take a stand against us being played for fools. I would put an end to his maddening platitudes. I would rid Chicago of the strain of repetitive eye rolling.

No longer would we have to ask ourselves, "How stupid does he think we are?"

If the purpose is to infuriate otherwise clear-thinking people, then Smith is first-team All-Pro. More from him on the offense:

"Of course we have tried to do some things differently. When things don't work, you try to do some different things. It's a process like it is with everything else. I'm pleased with us continuing to get down in the red zone where we are talking about the red zone."

Get it? Don't focus on the Bears' problems in the red zone, where they scored touchdowns only twice in seven tries Sunday; concentrate on the achievement of just getting into the red zone. See? We're all winners! Now, which team mom is supposed to hand out the juice boxes this week?

The patronizing quote made me realize that ignoring him would only enable him. Not calling him on his bizarre take on reality would be to encourage him to continue to believe we're idiots.

Smith's philosophy seems to be that public criticism of his players serves no constructive purpose. But let's turn it around. What do compliments accomplish when they're not earned?

There has to be more to this than protecting players. If Lovie says something that might be the slightest bit self-incriminatory, does he believe it will be used against him later? Is it better to say nothing than to say something that might make you unpopular in the locker room?

On his Monday night show on WBBM-AM 780, he bristled when host Jeff Joniak said the 24-point victory over the Browns didn't feel like a victory to some people. That statement happened to be the truth. But truth is a foreign concept to Smith, who believes if he doesn't hear any evil, you shouldn't either.

What he still doesn't understand, after almost six years here, is that Chicago appreciates bluntness. His record will be the most important thing when he gets canned -- he's 20-19 since the 2006 Super Bowl season, by the way -- but his lack of forthrightness won't help him.

What Smith views as noble looks more like a refusal to accept or distribute responsibility. And if the players see this from their head coach, why should they ever worry about repercussions?

It occurred to me that if I make my column a Lovie-free zone, I am making things easier for him. The fewer people who read his quotes, the fewer who will realize a shell of a coach is running the Bears.

As much as it pains me to listen to or read his statements, there's the public good to consider. That's me, always thinking of you.

Anyway, how much fun would life be without parsing Smith's nonsense? So we won't stop. We'll seek the truth.

And we'll go from there.

For me, there is an article on the Sun Times that is an even better indictment of Lovie. The Sun Times article talks about defensive ranking, and uses Lovie's standard against him. He points out the Lovie has always been dismissive of the "overall defense" ranking as it only factors yards, and has always referred to Aikman's ranking, which considers many factors, especially 3rd and long conversions. We rank near the bottom in 3rd and long defense, and rank is the 20s in Aikman's overall defensive ranking, which is the lowest ranking since Lovie joined the bears.

Further, the article, which spends a nice portion on 3rd and long, points out that in those 3rd and long situations, we see the cover 2 scheme the most. The fact that we suck in 3rd and long, and that we most often use cover 2 in such situations, really puts a bullseye on Lovie's back.

We've already discussed this here on the forum! Interesting read, even though as of late, Morrissey's been more Mariotti...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,6568918.column

Lovie Smith inanities deserve to be reported

Related

Is Lovie Smith on speaking terms with the truth?

The plain truth and Lovie Smith are not always on speaking terms.

Is that good for the team?

Yes, if you can't say anything nice, how can you fill up a news conference?

No, coaches should be critics (and critics think they could be coaches).

Truthfully, I don't care what Lovie Smith says.

Bears players support coach Smith

Topics

Super Bowl

Philosophy

Neck

See more topics »

XFootball

Chicago Bears

Lovie Smith When Chicago Bears coach talks, he doesn't say anything, but his words must be heard to be disbelieved

Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

November 4, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size I woke up Tuesday morning contemplating a boycott of Lovie Smith. This concerned me because it seemed to suggest I had just dreamed of the dull Bears coach, which would mean that even my dreams put me to sleep. And I'm confused enough as it is.

Anyway, the boycott: My thought was that until Smith said something both interesting and truthful (early bet: 2018), no utterances of his would show up in this column space.

How much better the world would be! How much more peaceful! That vein on your neck would stop pulsating!

No longer would we have to stand by as Smith blinked impassively at a scattering of bird droppings and then proclaimed it impressionistic art.

On Monday, having analyzed the video of his team's woeful offensive performance against Cleveland, Lovie's search party found a way to put the game in the most gracious terms. You were left to wonder whether he's teaching football or Intro to Positive Self-Esteem.

"I feel good about what we're doing offensively," he told reporters. "There are some things we need to do a little bit better, which we'll do and go from there."

Since he arrived here in 2004, "and we'll go from there" has been Smith's stock way of saying, "Not only have I not answered you honestly, but now I'm dismissing your question and moving on to the next question that I'll avoid."

So why put ourselves through this? Why take it anymore?

As a public service, I pondered the possibility of never quoting the Lovester. I would take a stand against us being played for fools. I would put an end to his maddening platitudes. I would rid Chicago of the strain of repetitive eye rolling.

No longer would we have to ask ourselves, "How stupid does he think we are?"

If the purpose is to infuriate otherwise clear-thinking people, then Smith is first-team All-Pro. More from him on the offense:

"Of course we have tried to do some things differently. When things don't work, you try to do some different things. It's a process like it is with everything else. I'm pleased with us continuing to get down in the red zone where we are talking about the red zone."

Get it? Don't focus on the Bears' problems in the red zone, where they scored touchdowns only twice in seven tries Sunday; concentrate on the achievement of just getting into the red zone. See? We're all winners! Now, which team mom is supposed to hand out the juice boxes this week?

The patronizing quote made me realize that ignoring him would only enable him. Not calling him on his bizarre take on reality would be to encourage him to continue to believe we're idiots.

Smith's philosophy seems to be that public criticism of his players serves no constructive purpose. But let's turn it around. What do compliments accomplish when they're not earned?

There has to be more to this than protecting players. If Lovie says something that might be the slightest bit self-incriminatory, does he believe it will be used against him later? Is it better to say nothing than to say something that might make you unpopular in the locker room?

On his Monday night show on WBBM-AM 780, he bristled when host Jeff Joniak said the 24-point victory over the Browns didn't feel like a victory to some people. That statement happened to be the truth. But truth is a foreign concept to Smith, who believes if he doesn't hear any evil, you shouldn't either.

What he still doesn't understand, after almost six years here, is that Chicago appreciates bluntness. His record will be the most important thing when he gets canned -- he's 20-19 since the 2006 Super Bowl season, by the way -- but his lack of forthrightness won't help him.

What Smith views as noble looks more like a refusal to accept or distribute responsibility. And if the players see this from their head coach, why should they ever worry about repercussions?

It occurred to me that if I make my column a Lovie-free zone, I am making things easier for him. The fewer people who read his quotes, the fewer who will realize a shell of a coach is running the Bears.

As much as it pains me to listen to or read his statements, there's the public good to consider. That's me, always thinking of you.

Anyway, how much fun would life be without parsing Smith's nonsense? So we won't stop. We'll seek the truth.

And we'll go from there.

Do you have a link to the article?

We are putrid at 3rd and long! On both sides of the ball!

For me, there is an article on the Sun Times that is an even better indictment of Lovie. The Sun Times article talks about defensive ranking, and uses Lovie's standard against him. He points out the Lovie has always been dismissive of the "overall defense" ranking as it only factors yards, and has always referred to Aikman's ranking, which considers many factors, especially 3rd and long conversions. We rank near the bottom in 3rd and long defense, and rank is the 20s in Aikman's overall defensive ranking, which is the lowest ranking since Lovie joined the bears.

Further, the article, which spends a nice portion on 3rd and long, points out that in those 3rd and long situations, we see the cover 2 scheme the most. The fact that we suck in 3rd and long, and that we most often use cover 2 in such situations, really puts a bullseye on Lovie's back.

Guys, I realize the hip thing to do is to rip on Lovie, but Rick Morrissey is a pompous jackass that makes Marrioti look like a great writer.

I understand the grief over the Bears, but I'd like to hear why people are upset that our defense isn't playing stellar because I'd flat out point out that we have very little talent this year on the defensive side of the football.

Now maybe that is reason enough to fire lovie and Angelo or maybe its just the reality of what happens when a defense ages and now needs a bit of a rebuilding. Bottom line, this defense doesn't have the talent to be a top 10 defense and probably doesn't even have the talent to be a top 15 one, so I can't really say that Lovie is doing a terrible job given what he has to work with on the defensive side of the football.

I think if people want to complain and make a change, it should be in regards to developmental issues or something along those lines that is going on, because as a whole, I think the defense (sans the Cinncy game) has truly outperformed its talent levels and that in itself is a credit to the coordinator (or in this case Lovie).

And while his quotes are what they are, I'd be hard pressed to fire a guy based upon the quotes he makes to the media. Ultimately I care about what he tells the players and that he holds guys accountable (and we can debate whether he does that or doesn't) but I honestly think this Smith is the worse thing ever speal gets really old.

Bottom line, is this team is still making too many mistakes, come too unprepared, don't line up the correct personnell available to them, and aren't calling correct plays.

Tack in age, injuries, etc...and you have the perfect storm.

Smith isn't completely to blame for this season. He and many others are. And it's not just this season.

We are seeing the same errors year after year with similar results. To me, it's unacceptable. And it is top to bottm.

Guys, I realize the hip thing to do is to rip on Lovie, but Rick Morrissey is a pompous jackass that makes Marrioti look like a great writer.

I understand the grief over the Bears, but I'd like to hear why people are upset that our defense isn't playing stellar because I'd flat out point out that we have very little talent this year on the defensive side of the football.

Now maybe that is reason enough to fire lovie and Angelo or maybe its just the reality of what happens when a defense ages and now needs a bit of a rebuilding. Bottom line, this defense doesn't have the talent to be a top 10 defense and probably doesn't even have the talent to be a top 15 one, so I can't really say that Lovie is doing a terrible job given what he has to work with on the defensive side of the football.

I think if people want to complain and make a change, it should be in regards to developmental issues or something along those lines that is going on, because as a whole, I think the defense (sans the Cinncy game) has truly outperformed its talent levels and that in itself is a credit to the coordinator (or in this case Lovie).

And while his quotes are what they are, I'd be hard pressed to fire a guy based upon the quotes he makes to the media. Ultimately I care about what he tells the players and that he holds guys accountable (and we can debate whether he does that or doesn't) but I honestly think this Smith is the worse thing ever speal gets really old.

Bottom line, is this team is still making too many mistakes, come too unprepared, don't line up the correct personnell available to them, and aren't calling correct plays.

Tack in age, injuries, etc...and you have the perfect storm.

Smith isn't completely to blame for this season. He and many others are. And it's not just this season.

We are seeing the same errors year after year with similar results. To me, it's unacceptable. And it is top to bottm.

You talk about it being a few seasons, but really there were two seasons where Babich's defense struggled and after the 2nd season he was demoted. I expect we will see Turner gone at the end of this year.

Lovie has won a lot of games for the Bears in his era and there was a reason he got a fat contract to be our coach (if he didn't, he'd have been given a lot of green by the Cowboys the next season). And Lovie is still very very well respected around the NFL.

I'm not saying I wouldn't get rid of Lovie, but there aren't a lot of guys (aside from the obvious choices of Cowher/Shanny) who I'd take ahead of Lovie.

He is really the exact persona of what you need from a head coach. Mild mannered at times, but stern enough in meetings and the clubhouse to make sure his players are held accountable and from what I've read from players there has been a whole lot of accountability going around the lockeroom and in meetings with Lovie where he spotlights what guys are doing wrong, etc.

At the same time, he has a team with no oline and an aging, injured defense that lost its play-caller and quite frankly didn't have the personell in place to replace him. After two games, he got a guy back (Hill) who could adjust a bit and the defense was better (albeit against the Browns).

Lovie has done a lot with a pretty weak defensive group. We've also seen strides from our young safeties (Manning/Alfava) and our young corner is looking better (Bowman) and I think some of that credit should go to Lovie but also to him for bringing in a new secondary coach that is doing some good things.

I'm sick of reading everyone here act like Smith is a retard. If we fire him, he's going to get hired elsewhere, and unless we make a great hire, its going to bite the Bears in the ass.

Smith is in charge now, and we're still struggling. I do think Turner will be gone after the season.

He did win a lot...a number of years ago. it's not happening for the past 3 seasons. We're bsically a .500 team since he had those numerous wins. I really could care less how respected he is around the league. I care what he's doing for the Bears...and I don't like it.

No he's not the exact persona that's needed. It's been proven that every type of personality has won at a high level in this league. I really don't know what to believe in the locker room. All I know is what goes on on the field, and it ain't good enough.

I have no problem with you wanted to stick up for Smith. There is enough in his repretoire that one could make a case for it through this year regardless of outcome. Hoever, please don't act as though there no case to be made for his ousting at season's end. Obviously if we run the table, etc...that changes everything.

I've made mention many a time that we must be careful to not jump out of the frying pan and jump into the fire. Getting just another coach doesn't mean better than Smith. We must get a coach better than Smith. Smith may well find work as a HC if we let him go. If Mangini can be hired again, anyone's got a shot.

And if he has succes, then so be it. It's like benson. He's simply out grown his stay here. That's just my feeling on it...

You talk about it being a few seasons, but really there were two seasons where Babich's defense struggled and after the 2nd season he was demoted. I expect we will see Turner gone at the end of this year.

Lovie has won a lot of games for the Bears in his era and there was a reason he got a fat contract to be our coach (if he didn't, he'd have been given a lot of green by the Cowboys the next season). And Lovie is still very very well respected around the NFL.

I'm not saying I wouldn't get rid of Lovie, but there aren't a lot of guys (aside from the obvious choices of Cowher/Shanny) who I'd take ahead of Lovie.

He is really the exact persona of what you need from a head coach. Mild mannered at times, but stern enough in meetings and the clubhouse to make sure his players are held accountable and from what I've read from players there has been a whole lot of accountability going around the lockeroom and in meetings with Lovie where he spotlights what guys are doing wrong, etc.

At the same time, he has a team with no oline and an aging, injured defense that lost its play-caller and quite frankly didn't have the personell in place to replace him. After two games, he got a guy back (Hill) who could adjust a bit and the defense was better (albeit against the Browns).

Lovie has done a lot with a pretty weak defensive group. We've also seen strides from our young safeties (Manning/Alfava) and our young corner is looking better (Bowman) and I think some of that credit should go to Lovie but also to him for bringing in a new secondary coach that is doing some good things.

I'm sick of reading everyone here act like Smith is a retard. If we fire him, he's going to get hired elsewhere, and unless we make a great hire, its going to bite the Bears in the ass.

Completely disagree. If Lovie is fired, and he takes the cover-2 with him, then it's an improvement as long as the Bears don't hire an actual retard. The Bears need coaches who can change when needed, who can adjust to situation. Lovie and his cover-2 don't do that, and the system just doesn't work that well unless you have a team full of pro-bowlers like the Bears did a few years ago.