Good as Gould!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wesson44

Gould needs two field goals to become NFL's top kicker

Posted: 11/4/2009 1:43:00 PM

If Robbie Gould makes his next two field goal attempts, he will surpass Mike Vanderjagt to become the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Gould has connected on 120 of 139 attempts in five seasons with the Bears, an 86.3 percent success rate that’s just below the retired Vanderjagt, who made 86.5 percent of his kicks (230 of 266) in nine seasons with the Colts and Cowboys. The Chargers’ Nate Kaeding is third at 85.8 percent (133 of 155).

“It would be a great honor to get it, but once you get it you’ve got to be able to hold it,” Gould said. “I’m not going to stop working until I do get it, and once I do get it, I’m not going to stop until I retire.”

Continuing to work with long-snapper Patrick Mannelly and holder Brad Maynard as he has done throughout his career, Gould has made 10 of 11 field goal tries this year, including a career-long 52-yarder against the Lions.

“I’ve been very fortunate to have a lot of great guys around me blocking for me,” he said. “Pat and Brad have been doing a great job. If it wasn’t for them, I would not be having the success I’ve had.”

Kaeding would seem to have an unfair advantage when it comes to kicking in San Diego compared to Chicago, but Gould isn’t complaining or asking for an asterisk in the record book.

“No matter where you’re at, you’ve got to do your job, and Nate’s done a great job for the Chargers,” Gould said. “Yeah, it’s a warm-weather place to kick. But he’s done a great job. I’m just glad to be here in Chicago and be able to do it for the organization as well as to help my team win games.”

I love Gould's attitude. Great guy and a hellava kicker despite not having the long bomb as a weapon on FGs. He has seemed to improve on his kickoffs. I am not sure if this is backed up statistically but that is the impression I get when watching the games.

Agreed! He's a true stud in his job!

I love Gould's attitude. Great guy and a hellava kicker despite not having the long bomb as a weapon on FGs. He has seemed to improve on his kickoffs. I am not sure if this is backed up statistically but that is the impression I get when watching the games.

How lucky are we to have had Mannelly, Maynard, and Gould for so many consistent seasons now? I knew Gould was one of the more accurate kickers around, and that more recently in his career he's even added some distance to his kickoffs, making him one of the best in the game, but I hadn't realized he was doing that well. I will say that every time he lines up for a kick I feel good about it, and that says something.

Also, FIVE seasons with the Bears...it seems like just yesterday he was being called "goo-ld" by his teamates/coaches that didn't know how to pronounce his name right. While I was in a conversation, I even caught myself absentmindedly calling him Edinger a few of weeks ago.

Gould needs two field goals to become NFL's top kicker

Posted: 11/4/2009 1:43:00 PM

If Robbie Gould makes his next two field goal attempts, he will surpass Mike Vanderjagt to become the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Gould has connected on 120 of 139 attempts in five seasons with the Bears, an 86.3 percent success rate that’s just below the retired Vanderjagt, who made 86.5 percent of his kicks (230 of 266) in nine seasons with the Colts and Cowboys. The Chargers’ Nate Kaeding is third at 85.8 percent (133 of 155).

“It would be a great honor to get it, but once you get it you’ve got to be able to hold it,” Gould said. “I’m not going to stop working until I do get it, and once I do get it, I’m not going to stop until I retire.”

Continuing to work with long-snapper Patrick Mannelly and holder Brad Maynard as he has done throughout his career, Gould has made 10 of 11 field goal tries this year, including a career-long 52-yarder against the Lions.

“I’ve been very fortunate to have a lot of great guys around me blocking for me,” he said. “Pat and Brad have been doing a great job. If it wasn’t for them, I would not be having the success I’ve had.”

Kaeding would seem to have an unfair advantage when it comes to kicking in San Diego compared to Chicago, but Gould isn’t complaining or asking for an asterisk in the record book.

“No matter where you’re at, you’ve got to do your job, and Nate’s done a great job for the Chargers,” Gould said. “Yeah, it’s a warm-weather place to kick. But he’s done a great job. I’m just glad to be here in Chicago and be able to do it for the organization as well as to help my team win games.”

Truly one of the key elements of our team along with Mannelly and Maynard (even though he had a rough game last week). With Field position being so critical our special Teams do an outstanding job in that department. Too bad we seem to struggle to take advantage of it like we should. Having a guy like Robbie makes it easy to forget about guys like Chris Bonehead and the seemingly endless parade of imitation NFL kickers we shuffled through prior to Eddinger who was best known for the weirdest kicking routine I've ever seen.