Realistically

Connorbear

This team is not going to the playoffs. They will be lucky to win 3 more games.

Lovie Smith will not be fired. He has 2 years left on his contract at 5.5 million a year. They are not going to eat his contract.

Knowing this, Angelo should sit down with Lovie this week and tell him if they don't win 2 of the next 3 games they should start playing some of the younger players. Gilbert, Moore, Iglesias, and Toenia all should see significant time to help them develop for next yr. Further, Gaines Adams should get reps over Ogy since he is more than likely gone.

It's going to be a long 8 weeks.

Peace :dabears

If that's all Angelo's going to do, he needs to be fired.

Granted, I agree Smith won't be fired. But he damn well should.

It's going to be a long 24 weeks including next season. Then we may just see the cutting of ties with Smith with only one year to go.

Lovie Smith will not be fired. He has 2 years left on his contract at 5.5 million a year. They are not going to eat his contract.

Knowing this, Angelo should sit down with Lovie this week and tell him if they don't win 2 of the next 3 games they should start playing some of the younger players. Gilbert, Moore, Iglesias, and Toenia all should see significant time to help them develop for next yr. Further, Gaines Adams should get reps over Ogy since he is more than likely gone.

As I watched the game I noticed the thing that concerned me the most. No one wanted to win that much. I am tired of Lovie standing at the podium and talking about bad we were or how they were unprepared. I own my own business and if my staff is killing me I have to show them the door. Granted is that I won't owe anyone 11 million dollars. But this falls back on Angelo. He needs to make Lovie a head coach and not a defensive coordinator/coach. Bring in someone that will make people accountable.

Connor, what are you going to do about your tickets? We're likely selling our remaining home games over eBay if they lose Thursday.

Going to the Philly game for sure because I have a cousin coming in from North Carolina going with us. Sold the Rams game a while back to my niece's husband. Last 2 games are up in the air at this point.

If that's all Angelo's going to do, he needs to be fired.

Granted, I agree Smith won't be fired. But he damn well should.

It's going to be a long 24 weeks including next season. Then we may just see the cutting of ties with Smith with only one year to go.

Understood.

The point of this thread was about player development. Since we do not have 1st or 2nd round picks next yr, we will be depending on these players to step up and perform so I figure it should start asap.

I wasn't really thinking about the rest.

I get the idea of player development and agree to a degree. However, I would rather see the starters get booed and be in the game rather than hide on the sidelines with the potential excuse of "if I was in it would be different." Through this struggle we will find out who's character is strong and which are weak. Not to mention if you put in second tier people and I was a season ticket holder I would want a discount from my tickets. If you put out a 1/2 price team. I want my tickets for half price.

I get the idea of player development and agree to a degree. However, I would rather see the starters get booed and be in the game rather than hide on the sidelines with the potential excuse of "if I was in it would be different." Through this struggle we will find out who's character is strong and which are weak. Not to mention if you put in second tier people and I was a season ticket holder I would want a discount from my tickets. If you put out a 1/2 price team. I want my tickets for half price.

As a season ticket holder, after yesterday, I want a discount. ;) Seriously, I would rather watch the young players develop than those I know will not be contributing to the future. Players like Ogy, Pace, etc can have a seat.

They won't fire Lovie to pay another coach 6M a year. But they will fire him to bring in a guy they like and pay 2M a year. Than in theory they are just paying 2M more for the 1st 2 seasons and than saving money the next 2 (if the coach signs an initial 4 year deal).

2M a year is a pretty fair rate for what HC's get when they come in as a Coordinator.

I hear ya. But this staff probably won't do it. We should have seen Bennet last year. History w/ this staff dictates that we won't see enough change until it's far too late.

Since we do not have 1st or 2nd round picks next yr, we will be depending on these players to step up and perform so I figure it should start asap.

a_chance.jpeg

Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

The team looks done, but at 4-4, they are only 1 back for the WC. Thursday's game is the season. If we win (and can at least split wth GB and MIN), we have a shot. A loss on Thursday completely seals our fate though.

I hear ya. But this staff probably won't do it. We should have seen Bennet last year. History w/ this staff dictates that we won't see enough change until it's far too late.

Last year we were in the playoff hunt until the end of the season. This year looks to be completely different. If we are out of it in the next few weeks, then the last part of the season should be devoted to seeing the younger players getting reps.

True enough...but still. You'd have thought there'd have been a handful of plays to try a new WR out... It just doesn't bode well to me. henceforth also, until we are mathematically out...the staff will stay the course.

Last year we were in the playoff hunt until the end of the season. This year looks to be completely different. If we are out of it in the next few weeks, then the last part of the season should be devoted to seeing the younger players getting reps.

They won't fire Lovie to pay another coach 6M a year. But they will fire him to bring in a guy they like and pay 2M a year. Than in theory they are just paying 2M more for the 1st 2 seasons and than saving money the next 2 (if the coach signs an initial 4 year deal).

2M a year is a pretty fair rate for what HC's get when they come in as a Coordinator.

This is a good point and to add: if Lovie is hired by another team as a D coordinator he will probably get at least 1 million a yr given his experience. This is subtracted from the salary we have to pay him so the Bears would not be out that much money. The one consideration we have not considered is the cost of replacing the coaching staff. I am unsure of their salaries. I know that Turner's deal ends at the end of the yr so there is no issue with him. Further, I would hope the new coach would keep Toub. Hell, the new coach could be Toub and I wouldn't mind.