Do the Bears Send a Message and Cut Tommie?

DABEARSDABOMB

What do you guys think and what would you do?

On the plus side, he's a dumbass who has really been lazy the past couple years. Yes, he's played through an "injury", but he has skipped treatments in the past and just doesn't seam to get it. We'd also save money by cutting him as he's in a series of one year deals so there wouldn't be any cap rammifications, other than saving a few mill in current payroll (which could help the Bears cover the costs of firing Lovie and hiring someone else!!)

On the down-side, they claim he's actually healthy and our two worse 1st halves of the Lovie era came with him on the sidelines. Maybe he is more valuable than we think and we just can't afford to let him go?

Personally I say save the money, send a message, ditch the jackass, and cut him today!

I'm all for it...

On the plus side, he's a dumbass who has really been lazy the past couple years. Yes, he's played through an "injury", but he has skipped treatments in the past and just doesn't seam to get it. We'd also save money by cutting him as he's in a series of one year deals so there wouldn't be any cap rammifications, other than saving a few mill in current payroll (which could help the Bears cover the costs of firing Lovie and hiring someone else!!)

On the down-side, they claim he's actually healthy and our two worse 1st halves of the Lovie era came with him on the sidelines. Maybe he is more valuable than we think and we just can't afford to let him go?

Personally I say save the money, send a message, ditch the jackass, and cut him today!

There is no benefit cost wise to cutting him now or by June 1st. The only benefit is sending a message to the rest of the team and getting reps for other players. Personally, I have no issues with dumping him now and getting other players the reps.

Peace :dabears

There is no benefit cost wise to cutting him now or by June 1st. The only benefit is sending a message to the rest of the team. Personally, I have no issues with dumping him now and getting other players the reps.

So he'll get the remainder of his salary if we cut him? I thought he'd only get what he's been paid thus far since contracts aren't guaranteed?

So he'll get the remainder of his salary if we cut him? I thought he'd only get what he's been paid thus far since contracts aren't guaranteed?

He will get paid the rest of this year's salary which is part of the collective bargaining agreement (after you play a certain number of games each year, pay is guarenteed). His next bonus is not due until June 1st (2.5 million I believe).

I like the message it would send though...

He will get paid the rest of this year's salary which is part of the collective bargaining agreement (after you play a certain number of games each year, pay is guarenteed). His next bonus is not due until June 1st (2.5 million I believe).

What sucks is that if he is cut, he'll just go somewhere else and turn back into the first rounder the Bears had a few years ago.

What troubles me is the camera work on the play in question. On the first replay, Tommie was underneath the Cards' OLineman. Afterwards, however, all we see is Tommie on top landing the punch. What happened prior to that to enrage Tommie so much? NFL players, even crybabies, very rarely go for the sucker punch in the middle of the game, out in the open, with the refs nearby. I'm telling you all, something dirty spurred this.

Probably not. Injury has slowed him down. He was rumored to be broken before we even drafted him. He might do better than what he's done as of late, but I seriously doubt he'll return to form.

I'm sure something dirty did, and as always, since the invention of sports...the second guy always gets penalized. Also, the blatant idiot tends to get penalized... Whatever the Cardinal did, it was at least done on the DL... Not so w/ Harris.

What sucks is that if he is cut, he'll just go somewhere else and turn back into the first rounder the Bears had a few years ago.

What troubles me is the camera work on the play in question. On the first replay, Tommie was underneath the Cards' OLineman. Afterwards, however, all we see is Tommie on top landing the punch. What happened prior to that to enrage Tommie so much? NFL players, even crybabies, very rarely go for the sucker punch in the middle of the game, out in the open, with the refs nearby. I'm telling you all, something dirty spurred this.

From what I read, at some point, either during that play or a prior play, Harris felt the OL tried to knee him (or do something) at Tommie's knee. It was written that Tommie is a bit sensative about his knee due to the previous injuries, and that OL is known as a fairly dirty player. So, however it came down, Tommie felt the OL was specifically targeting his knee.

As for when the two were on the ground, it is my understanding that whatever the OL did had already taken place. From what the announcers said, Tommie was under the OL, then flipped him over (not difficult when the other player thinks the play is over) and while on top, took the sucker punch.

I think the OL likely did something. As you said, players don't often sucker punch w/o cause. At the same time, it was still a bone-headed move.

I like the message it would send though...

While I'm tempted to agree, I think that sending a message could be a Pyrrhic victory if it means losing a body at DT. The problem with losing Harris is this: we're using a heavy rotation at DT this year, and I think it's out of necessity. If we were to cut Harris, we'd only have five DTs on the roster: Adams, Harrison, Idonije, Gilbert, and Toeaina.

Idonije and Gilbert are both basically jumbo-sized ends - they're each like 6'6" and 270-280 pounds, which is very tall and skinny to play under tackle. Adams really only plays nose guard, from what I've seen. That leaves Harrison and Toeaina as the only candidates to take Tommie's spot who are any good against the run. Considering that Harrison's already counted on to rotate with Adams, that either gives us a VERY shallow rotation on the interior line, or we have to give significant snaps to two guys who are much better suited to play outside at defensive end, in which case our line becomes a liability against the run. Basically, I don't think we have enough depth right now to cut Tommie.

It may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater...but at least you won't hear anymore crying!

It won't happen...but if I ran the circus, I'd certainly give it thought.

While I'm tempted to agree, I think that sending a message could be a Pyrrhic victory if it means losing a body at DT. The problem with losing Harris is this: we're using a heavy rotation at DT this year, and I think it's out of necessity. If we were to cut Harris, we'd only have five DTs on the roster: Adams, Harrison, Idonije, Gilbert, and Toeaina.

Idonije and Gilbert are both basically jumbo-sized ends - they're each like 6'6" and 270-280 pounds, which is very tall and skinny to play under tackle. Adams really only plays nose guard, from what I've seen. That leaves Harrison and Toeaina as the only candidates to take Tommie's spot who are any good against the run. Considering that Harrison's already counted on to rotate with Adams, that either gives us a VERY shallow rotation on the interior line, or we have to give significant snaps to two guys who are much better suited to play outside at defensive end, in which case our line becomes a liability against the run. Basically, I don't think we have enough depth right now to cut Tommie.

If we lose, who cares how many yards are racked up? Maybe I'm wrong, but I presonally don't think Harris would have made that much of a difference yesterday. ODdly, he or the coaching staff have pulled him for every recent game that was against a powerhouse O. Maybe he doesn't want to show he sucks? Maybe the staff doesn't want to show it as they may try a trade?

Well, you might hear ME crying, if cutting Tommie means every team hangs 180 rushing yards on us like the Bengals and the Cards did.