My Quick Fixes of the Week

madlithuanian

I'll focus on what could be changed right now to get the most out of our situation. Particularly looking at the future...

1. Jump on the nfo thought of moving Williams to LT, benching Pace and putting Shaffer at RT. Give it a whirl. Pace isn't going to be around next year. May as well start giving Williams the reps he needs.

2. Keep the offense similar to what Turner did this week. The change was working to a large extent.

3. Stop playing DB's so far off the LOS. I'd rather see us get burned once in a while vs. getting nit-picked to death for completions on every 3rd down.

4. Use some damn stunts on the D line for once...

That's about it. I'm feeling a bit disconnected right now. I foresee more futility with our current regime. It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work for a bunch of turkeys.

5. I'd also like to get Gilbert and GGaines Adamas more reps... Also maybe see Steltz. Let's see what we have and see what we can move at season's end.

I'll focus on what could be changed right now to get the most out of our situation. Particularly looking at the future...

1. Jump on the nfo thought of moving Williams to LT, benching Pace and putting Shaffer at RT. Give it a whirl. Pace isn't going to be around next year. May as well start giving Williams the reps he needs.

2. Keep the offense similar to what Turner did this week. The change was working to a large extent.

3. Stop playing DB's so far off the LOS. I'd rather see us get burned once in a while vs. getting nit-picked to death for completions on every 3rd down.

4. Use some damn stunts on the D line for once...

That's about it. I'm feeling a bit disconnected right now. I foresee more futility with our current regime. It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work for a bunch of turkeys.

Really, can you expound?

I know there will be a learning curve...but do we want to waste a good chunk of next season as well getting us ready for it?

As someone who has been through this, it is not a wise move to switch a tackle from right to left and etc. in the middle of a season.

Really, can you expound?

I know there will be a learning curve...but do we want to waste a good chunk of next season as well getting us ready for it?

It's an easy adjustment in the offseason, but it's tough to do mid-season. Playing on one side, you get into a groove. The main adjustment is with your stance and especially with your kick-step. At tackle, your kick step is your most important tool, and when you switch sides, you are all switched around and your kick step will be much less effective for a while. If you make this move, I'd rather see Shaffer go in at RT, let Williams work at LT during scout for a couple weeks, then bench Pace.

Gotcha. Thanks for detailing...

That works for me...

It's an easy adjustment in the offseason, but it's tough to do mid-season. Playing on one side, you get into a groove. The main adjustment is with your stance and especially with your kick-step. At tackle, your kick step is your most important tool, and when you switch sides, you are all switched around and your kick step will be much less effective for a while. If you make this move, I'd rather see Shaffer go in at RT, let Williams work at LT during scout for a couple weeks, then bench Pace.

Well, given that neither has been in a groove all season, I don't see the problem with the midseason swithch.

I can see the argument against the switch more for Pace than for Williams. Pace has never, that I know of, played RT. Maybe he could, but he does not have the experience on that side, and thus the transition might be more difficult. Williams on the other hand played LT in college, and that is where he worked last offseason and this offseason prior to the Pace acquisition. I don't think Williams moving over would be as dramatic.

Shaffer was flat out awful in camp, but at this point, maybe it is worth inserting him at RT.

Well, given that neither has been in a groove all season, I don't see the problem with the midseason swithch.

I can see the argument against the switch more for Pace than for Williams. Pace has never, that I know of, played RT. Maybe he could, but he does not have the experience on that side, and thus the transition might be more difficult. Williams on the other hand played LT in college, and that is where he worked last offseason and this offseason prior to the Pace acquisition. I don't think Williams moving over would be as dramatic.

Yeah, I was going to ask this exact question: it seems like Williams might be more comfortable from a technique perspective if he went back to the left side, since that's where was working on his technique all through college. BearSox, do you think it would help the transition to be leaving a relatively new position for your old one?