Seriously, Defiantgiant? A 2010 Draft Thread Already?

defiantgiant

OK, so let me get this said up front: I'm not giving up on the Bears after 8 games. They could still be anywhere from 12-4 to 4-12 (although god knows they look more like a 4-12 team right now.) However this season plays out, though, there are some serious personnel holes on this team. If you believe (as I do) that Lovie's keeping his job, this next offseason is going to be really key.

So here's the game: you're the 2010 Chicago Football Bears, and you need at least two new starters on the o-line, plus maybe a new CB and DT, depending on your viewpoint. Problem is, Jerry Angelo traded away all your draft picks! Well, at least all the ones on the first day. Maybe he had a doctor's appointment or something, maybe he just didn't feel like showing up, who knows. Anyway, for the second year running, your first pick is a 3rd-rounder. You can also sign one veteran free agent, but only one. So who ya got?

I did a quick mock, using CBS Sports' prospect rankings as a rough projection of where guys will go (they're far from perfect, but way better than most of the rest.) Here's what I came up with, feel free to shoot it full of holes:

Free Agent - Dunta Robinson, CB, Texans or Carlos Rogers, CB, Redskins

Both are good starting-caliber corners stuck on awful teams. Both are hitting free agency in 2010, unless something happens between now and the offseason. Robinson's playing on the franchise tag this season and is clearly unhappy about it. His play has suffered after holding out for all of preseason, but he's got a ton of ability and should benefit from a change of scenery. Rogers is a very, very solid cover corner, but doesn't have great hands for the interception. Still, he's physical and excellent in man coverage, something the Bears severely lack at corner. Getting either Robinson or Rogers would give the Bears a proven starter across from Peanut, allowing Bowman more time to develop as Tillman's eventual successor.

Draft Picks

3 - Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa

Calloway's a pure right tackle in the NFL, but he's a pretty awesome run-blocker and not bad in pass protection. He's made a lot of starts and has been very durable. The CBS Sports analysis compares him to Marc Colombo; that's a pretty good benchmark (although they must have missed the "very durable" part.) He'd allow Chris Williams to shift to LT and Pace to shift to a nice home somewhere.

4 - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Big (6'3" 327 lbs.) run-stuffing DT, can get some pressure up the middle, too. Looked awesome against South Carolina. Williams could rotate with Adams at the nose, allowing Harrison to move to under tackle full-time.

5 - Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass

I like Ducasse as a developmental RG behind Roberto Garza, or as a starting LG if he makes the transition quickly. He's huge (6'5" 328 lbs.,) extremely powerful, and has great film study/practice habits. He played right and left tackle at UMass, but he projects better to guard in the pros.

6 - Thomas Austin, OG/OC, Clemson

Smart, nearly mistake-free lineman who moved from center to left guard and has played very well at both spots. Could make for a solid starter at LG if Ducasse takes time to develop; if not, could take over at LG down the road when Ducasse replaces Garza at RG. At 6'3" and 315, he has good size/strength for guard in the NFL, although he's better blocking on passing plays than on runs. He'd give Chicago some flexibility in terms of where they want to play Beekman.

7 - Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

Tiny-school prospect with the size and speed to play in the NFL (5'11" 224 lbs. and runs 4.47-4.54 in the 40.) Watching his film, Bell looks like a good change-of-pace back: he catches the ball exceedingly well and looks very shifty when picking through small holes at the line of scrimmage. He also makes an unreal number of defenders miss, although that's at his admittedly lower level of competition. Currently has 6,654 rushing yards, which is 8th in NCAA history.

We need at least one OL from FA too...

OK, so let me get this said up front: I'm not giving up on the Bears after 8 games. They could still be anywhere from 12-4 to 4-12 (although god knows they look more like a 4-12 team right now.) However this season plays out, though, there are some serious personnel holes on this team. If you believe (as I do) that Lovie's keeping his job, this next offseason is going to be really key.

So here's the game: you're the 2010 Chicago Football Bears, and you need at least two new starters on the o-line, plus maybe a new CB and DT, depending on your viewpoint. Problem is, Jerry Angelo traded away all your draft picks! Well, at least all the ones on the first day. Maybe he had a doctor's appointment or something, maybe he just didn't feel like showing up, who knows. Anyway, for the second year running, your first pick is a 3rd-rounder. You can also sign one veteran free agent, but only one. So who ya got?

I did a quick mock, using CBS Sports' prospect rankings as a rough projection of where guys will go (they're far from perfect, but way better than most of the rest.) Here's what I came up with, feel free to shoot it full of holes:

Free Agent - Dunta Robinson, CB, Texans or Carlos Rogers, CB, Redskins

Both are good starting-caliber corners stuck on awful teams. Both are hitting free agency in 2010, unless something happens between now and the offseason. Robinson's playing on the franchise tag this season and is clearly unhappy about it. His play has suffered after holding out for all of preseason, but he's got a ton of ability and should benefit from a change of scenery. Rogers is a very, very solid cover corner, but doesn't have great hands for the interception. Still, he's physical and excellent in man coverage, something the Bears severely lack at corner. Getting either Robinson or Rogers would give the Bears a proven starter across from Peanut, allowing Bowman more time to develop as Tillman's eventual successor.

Draft Picks

3 - Kyle Calloway, OT, Idaho

Calloway's a pure right tackle in the NFL, but he's a pretty awesome run-blocker and not bad in pass protection. He's made a lot of starts and has been very durable. The CBS Sports analysis compares him to Marc Colombo; that's a pretty good benchmark (although they must have missed the "very durable" part.) He'd allow Chris Williams to shift to LT and Pace to shift to a nice home somewhere.

4 - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Big (6'3" 327 lbs.) run-stuffing DT, can get some pressure up the middle, too. Looked awesome against South Carolina. Williams could rotate with Adams at the nose, allowing Harrison to move to under tackle full-time.

5 - Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass

I like Ducasse as a developmental RG behind Roberto Garza, or as a starting LG if he makes the transition quickly. He's huge (6'5" 328 lbs.,) extremely powerful, and has great film study/practice habits. He played right and left tackle at UMass, but he projects better to guard in the pros.

6 - Thomas Austin, OG/OC, Clemson

Smart, nearly mistake-free lineman who moved from center to left guard and has played very well at both spots. Could make for a solid starter at LG if Ducasse takes time to develop; if not, could take over at LG down the road when Ducasse replaces Garza at RG. At 6'3" and 315, he has good size/strength for guard in the NFL, although he's better blocking on passing plays than on runs. He'd give Chicago some flexibility in terms of where they want to play Beekman.

7 - Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

Tiny-school prospect with the size and speed to play in the NFL (5'11" 224 lbs. and runs 4.47-4.54 in the 40.) Watching his film, Bell looks like a good change-of-pace back: he catches the ball exceedingly well and looks very shifty when picking through small holes at the line of scrimmage. He also makes an unreal number of defenders miss, although that's at his admittedly lower level of competition. Currently has 6,654 rushing yards, which is 8th in NCAA history.

We need at least one OL from FA too...

It's a good point, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth after all of Angelo's recent FA o-line acquisitions. Hell, even when he was getting good players like Tait and Ruben Brown, it ended up costing the team in the long run. I'd rather draft guys and go through the growing pains than pick up more duds like Omiyale or guys who only have 2 or 3 years left.

3. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois

---This guy is an absolute beast. I'm praying he falls here. Everytime I watch Illinois, the whole OL goes at the QB while he pushes his guy 5 yards ahead.

4. D'Anthony Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech

---If he falls here, he's of great value. DT is a very underrated need for us with Harrison's weight issues and Harris' brain issues.

5. Andre Anderson, RB, Tulane

---I'm tired of waiting for Kevin Jones.

6. Dennis Landolt, OT, Penn State

---OT depth.

7. Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon

---At 6'3 230, I'm willing to take a shot at him this late.

Sign Marcus McNeill- 6 years, $46 million

Sign Ryan Clark- 4 years, $22 million

Resign Manning (there may be others I'm forgetting to resign...BTW- I say no to resigning Peterson)

Franchise tag- Ogunleye

---This guy is an absolute beast. I'm praying he falls here. Everytime I watch Illinois, the whole OL goes at the QB while he pushes his guy 5 yards ahead.

---If he falls here, he's of great value. DT is a very underrated need for us with Harrison's weight issues and Harris' brain issues.

---OT depth.

Resign Manning (there may be others I'm forgetting to resign...BTW- I say no to resigning Peterson)

Franchise tag- Ogunleye

I think everyone is tired of waiting for Kevin Jones, but RBs are a dime a dozen. The Bears don't need another Tulane RB; they already have one. That pick should be OL, DL, or S. Period.

Sold!

---OT depth.

Franchise tag- Ogunleye