Vernon Davis talking trash

nfoligno

From PFT,

Vernon Davis expects to "destroy" Bears defensive front

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 10, 2009 9:13 PM ET

Like a lot of folks that have watched the Chicago Bears play football in recent weeks, 49ers tight end Vernon Davis is not impressed with what he sees.

Unlike most of those folks, Davis has to play football against the Bears Thursday. And you can be sure they will remember his words from this week.

"I think we can destroy their front,'' Davis said. "The guys up front, I think we can destroy them. I don't see anything spectacular about their front line."

The Bears are 23rd in sacks and 22nd in points allowed on defense. While the 49ers offense hasn't been lighting up the scoreboard, Davis is having a Pro Bowl caliber season. With that, comes confidence.

"Their linebackers, I think we can handle them pretty well. I like [Adewale] Ogunleye. I like the way he's playing up front. He's about the only player I like on their defensive line. I think he's doing a good job."

The NFL Network should thank Vernon for doing everything he can to hype up its Thursday Night Football opener.

UPDATE: Vernon tweets on the matter: "I know people are talking about what I said today. I wasn't trying to take a shot at the Bears. I was showing confidence in my team."

Personally, I so would like to think our team steps up and shuts him up. No, I don't mean Tommie Harris tring to punch him in the facemask, but through play, shut him down. When he does catch the ball, light him up. Unfortunately, I fear our defense lacks the heart to do such.

I'm not sure our hibernating Bears D will be able to dispell his statements.

He's basically right...

Maybe but lets at least hope the players have enough pride left to be pissed off at it.I would hope it's already been printed up & stuck to noticeboards

I'd have thought pride would have kicked in after the 3rd TD without stopping them last week. I'm not sure these guys have pride. They need to prove it, I can no longer assume it.

Maybe but lets at least hope the players have enough pride left to be pissed off at it.I would hope it's already been printed up & stuck to noticeboards

What sort of makes me sick is, SF really isn't that good. They are not Cle by any stretch, but they are not that good either. I think there is a very legit chance we come to this game and look pretty decent/good. That will put us at 5-4, above .500, and many (at Halas) will think the questions have been answered. But it will be an illusion, just like the Cle game.

I'd have thought pride would have kicked in after the 3rd TD without stopping them last week. I'm not sure these guys have pride. They need to prove it, I can no longer assume it.

They aren't that dis-similar to us, except that they are young and up-and-coming. They kind of are what we were prior to Cutler. Good running team, very good D, and a qb that'll be hit & miss. With a little more miss.

We could look good, but I think a lot of that depends on SF making mistakes. If they do, we could very easily win it. But, we've not shown all season long that we can play away with any semblance of not making mistakes ourselves.

And yeah, if we win, it's another hollow win to some degree. Although we are official underdogs, so in that case, it'll be a win we shouldn't have had.

What sort of makes me sick is, SF really isn't that good. They are not Cle by any stretch, but they are not that good either. I think there is a very legit chance we come to this game and look pretty decent/good. That will put us at 5-4, above .500, and many (at Halas) will think the questions have been answered. But it will be an illusion, just like the Cle game.

Why I think it potential we could do well.

When on defense. SF can run the ball, but are not very good passing it. We can stack the box to stop the run, w/o worrying too much about getting beat through the air. I realize Cincy and Az both torched us on the ground, but Cincy was a multi-faceted offense, while Az was an offense that was so good passing that we over-loaded to stop that aspect. Even stacking the box, I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough, nor does he have the weapons outside Davis, to really hurt us.

When on offense. SF is a below average pass defense, and a pretty solid run defense. Since we can't run the ball anyway, their run defense is really not crucial. It is through the air our offense moves the ball, and that is where they are weaker. A key reason SF is not good against the pass is, they simply can't rush the passer. Sound familiar? While our OL is the answer to many teams pass rush questions, the point is they are not a team that does a good job getting after the QB. Thus, even if they do better than their norm, it isn't likely they are going to destroy Cutler the way some other teams w/ better pass rushers have done.

Will it all play out this way? Who knows, especially when you factor the coaching. Will Lovie refuse to stack the box against Gore as he refused to do against Benson? Will Turner try to establish the run and attack their strength. W/ our staff, you just never know. But my point is, this is a game I very much can see our winning, and potentially even doing so in such a fashion as to give false hope.

After this game, we have 2 out of 7 against bad teams (Det/Stl) and 5 games that frankly, could get ugly.

They aren't that dis-similar to us, except that they are young and up-and-coming. They kind of are what we were prior to Cutler. Good running team, very good D, and a qb that'll be hit & miss. With a little more miss.

We could look good, but I think a lot of that depends on SF making mistakes. If they do, we could very easily win it. But, we've not shown all season long that we can play away with any semblance of not making mistakes ourselves.

And yeah, if we win, it's another hollow win to some degree. Although we are official underdogs, so in that case, it'll be a win we shouldn't have had.

Personally, I think both defenses are close to even. I think both QBs are likely to toss a pick, and both QBs are likely to get sacked.

I would start Chicago because (a) if both are close, go w/ the team you are rooting for anyway, (B) Alex Smith is more likely to throw multiple picks, © Smith holds the ball even longer than Cutler, as much as Cutler takes a beating, he does a better job than Smith of avoiding the sack stat and (d) SF's special teams isn't that good, and w/ Hester/Knox/DM, there is a greater chance for special teams points.

I don't care who they are playing, I would avoid KC defense. There are some teams that are so bad you don't bother looking at who they are facing. Frankly, both KC and Oak would fall into that category.

I have another problem....

Who do I start in fantasy the bears D or the niners D....or I can pick through the crap on the waiver and start KC against Oakland

I follow. But I htink the one target they have, that has continually confounded us is the TE. Davis is one of the better ones, and I think those mid-range passes are all that's needed to pick up apart. The other weapons aren't there...but I think Davis could be enough to take us out.

The hope is that Cutler and crew can move the ball downfield passing. But, I fear we may be in catch-up mode. However, you're right...SF is not AZ or CIN. They probably are going to be similar in what we saw with SEA. And that game took a lucky miss by their kicker to win.

I honestly look at no game as a sure win anymore. Detroir could be playing w/o fear and actually proved that they could give us trouble. And is it out of the realm of possibility, STL, also w/ nothing to lose, has a banner day from Bulger picking our D apart...? Not probable, but all of a sudden, I think possible.

Damn, I'm in need of some kool-aid.

Why I think it potential we could do well.

When on defense. SF can run the ball, but are not very good passing it. We can stack the box to stop the run, w/o worrying too much about getting beat through the air. I realize Cincy and Az both torched us on the ground, but Cincy was a multi-faceted offense, while Az was an offense that was so good passing that we over-loaded to stop that aspect. Even stacking the box, I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough, nor does he have the weapons outside Davis, to really hurt us.

When on offense. SF is a below average pass defense, and a pretty solid run defense. Since we can't run the ball anyway, their run defense is really not crucial. It is through the air our offense moves the ball, and that is where they are weaker. A key reason SF is not good against the pass is, they simply can't rush the passer. Sound familiar? While our OL is the answer to many teams pass rush questions, the point is they are not a team that does a good job getting after the QB. Thus, even if they do better than their norm, it isn't likely they are going to destroy Cutler the way some other teams w/ better pass rushers have done.

Will it all play out this way? Who knows, especially when you factor the coaching. Will Lovie refuse to stack the box against Gore as he refused to do against Benson? Will Turner try to establish the run and attack their strength. W/ our staff, you just never know. But my point is, this is a game I very much can see our winning, and potentially even doing so in such a fashion as to give false hope.

After this game, we have 2 out of 7 against bad teams (Det/Stl) and 5 games that frankly, could get ugly.

I ain't touchin' that choice w/ a 10 ft pole! Bears or SF...ack. Glad my choice is PIT or BUF...Always PIT unless on bye...

Personally, I think both defenses are close to even. I think both QBs are likely to toss a pick, and both QBs are likely to get sacked.

I would start Chicago because (a) if both are close, go w/ the team you are rooting for anyway, (B) Alex Smith is more likely to throw multiple picks, © Smith holds the ball even longer than Cutler, as much as Cutler takes a beating, he does a better job than Smith of avoiding the sack stat and (d) SF's special teams isn't that good, and w/ Hester/Knox/DM, there is a greater chance for special teams points.

I don't care who they are playing, I would avoid KC defense. There are some teams that are so bad you don't bother looking at who they are facing. Frankly, both KC and Oak would fall into that category.

I follow. But I htink the one target they have, that has continually confounded us is the TE. Davis is one of the better ones, and I think those mid-range passes are all that's needed to pick up apart. The other weapons aren't there...but I think Davis could be enough to take us out.

What TE has continually confounded us? Even Tony G., probably the best TE we have faced, only had 4 catches for 50 yards. We have given up a couple scores to TEs in the red zone, but it isn't like TEs have been shreding us this year. Further, the times TEs have hurt us, they were playing on teams w/ other weapons we had to fear. Tony G had Roddy White and while they didn't do much, the TEs that did hurt us in Az obviously had other weapons to take away our focus.

Davis is a dang good TE, especially this year, but that team lacks other threats. Even if Davis does have a big game, I am not sure he alone is enough.

The hope is that Cutler and crew can move the ball downfield passing. But, I fear we may be in catch-up mode. However, you're right...SF is not AZ or CIN. They probably are going to be similar in what we saw with SEA. And that game took a lucky miss by their kicker to win.

If we have to play in catchup mode, we may as well write off the rest of the games. While SF isn't totally lacking in talent, they are definitely not a team w/ so many weapons that they should be able to run up the score on us. I just do not see SF doing to us what Cincy and Az did, thus I don't see us having to play from behind.

I honestly look at no game as a sure win anymore. Detroir could be playing w/o fear and actually proved that they could give us trouble. And is it out of the realm of possibility, STL, also w/ nothing to lose, has a banner day from Bulger picking our D apart...? Not probable, but all of a sudden, I think possible.

I am not by any stretch saying ANY game is a sure win, but as bad as we are, Det and Stl are worse. Just like when we played Cle, even a mediocre (or less) performance should still be enough to win. Those are two games we absolutely should win, giving us 6 wins. Lets say we also pull out a win against SF, giving us 7. That could be the end of our wins. We might pull out one more win, but honestly, I am not sure I even see that. 7-9 likely by seasons end, w/ 8-8 being possible, but not necessarily likely.

I have Pitt and Miami. Pitt has done VERY well for me this year, as you know having Pitt yourself, but are going against a Cincy team that has looked very good. Miami is facing a very poor TB team, and right now, I am looking at giving them the nod.

I ain't touchin' that choice w/ a 10 ft pole! Bears or SF...ack. Glad my choice is PIT or BUF...Always PIT unless on bye...

I alawys go with talent.

Does Polamalu play for the Fins? Seems to me that since he's been back, they have been fantastic. Every game. No matter who they've played. Has Miami? Just sayin'...

I watch many PIT games since I have their D and heath Miller on my fantasy team. I tell you, I get so jealous watching them. They are 100% exactly what I wish the Bears were. They are tough.

I have Pitt and Miami. Pitt has done VERY well for me this year, as you know having Pitt yourself, but are going against a Cincy team that has looked very good. Miami is facing a very poor TB team, and right now, I am looking at giving them the nod.

I'm not just talking this season...Tony G looked good, Pettigrew had a good day, both Becht & Patrick had TD's for AZ... We're getting equally lit up by WR's, but the mid-range Cover-2 beater has been a long time problem.

Are you really that confident in our D that just because SF doesn't have a Fitz or White, that their TE will be deemed a non-issue? Their TE is one of the top 5 in the league arguably. They do have other weapons...the run game. We've not faced this good of a rushing attack this year except ATL. We did keep Turner in check, but he still got a score on us.

Again, take note that I see more of what SEA did to us in regard to SF... I'm not comparing them to CIN or AZ. We played behind in that game... In fact, we've pretty pmuch played from behind every game other than CLE I think.

If this team loses it's heart, and there's evidence that they already have...we can be beaten by any of the teams we are going to face the rest of the season.

What TE has continually confounded us? Even Tony G., probably the best TE we have faced, only had 4 catches for 50 yards. We have given up a couple scores to TEs in the red zone, but it isn't like TEs have been shreding us this year. Further, the times TEs have hurt us, they were playing on teams w/ other weapons we had to fear. Tony G had Roddy White and while they didn't do much, the TEs that did hurt us in Az obviously had other weapons to take away our focus.

Davis is a dang good TE, especially this year, but that team lacks other threats. Even if Davis does have a big game, I am not sure he alone is enough.

If we have to play in catchup mode, we may as well write off the rest of the games. While SF isn't totally lacking in talent, they are definitely not a team w/ so many weapons that they should be able to run up the score on us. I just do not see SF doing to us what Cincy and Az did, thus I don't see us having to play from behind.

I am not by any stretch saying ANY game is a sure win, but as bad as we are, Det and Stl are worse. Just like when we played Cle, even a mediocre (or less) performance should still be enough to win. Those are two games we absolutely should win, giving us 6 wins. Lets say we also pull out a win against SF, giving us 7. That could be the end of our wins. We might pull out one more win, but honestly, I am not sure I even see that. 7-9 likely by seasons end, w/ 8-8 being possible, but not necessarily likely.

Guest TerraTor
I'm not sure our hibernating Bears D will be able to dispell his statements.

He's basically right...

The guy hit the nail on the head. They deserve to get talked about they're friggin terrible.

Honestly, I am going back and forth.

Pitt is an awesome D, and you are right that they have been even better since Polomalu has returned. However, Miami has been pretty solid (in FF) too. Miami gives up more points, but are not that far apart in terms of turnover stats. Miami makes up ground in special teams though, where they have more yards and a couple scores while Pitt doesn't do much in the return game.

Pitt is better, but the difference is less than you might think. Then factor in opponents. Cincy has a very solid offense (though maybe not as good as we made them look). Solid QB, OL, RB and WRs. On the other hand, in TB you have a rookie QB who is just getting a chance to play, weak OL, worse run game, and not a ton of weapons to speak of.

I am still going back and forth on this one.

I alawys go with talent.

Does Polamalu play for the Fins? Seems to me that since he's been back, they have been fantastic. Every game. No matter who they've played. Has Miami? Just sayin'...

I watch many PIT games since I have their D and heath Miller on my fantasy team. I tell you, I get so jealous watching them. They are 100% exactly what I wish the Bears were. They are tough.

Ahhh. We don't combine ST points with D.

Good luck!

Honestly, I am going back and forth.

Pitt is an awesome D, and you are right that they have been even better since Polomalu has returned. However, Miami has been pretty solid (in FF) too. Miami gives up more points, but are not that far apart in terms of turnover stats. Miami makes up ground in special teams though, where they have more yards and a couple scores while Pitt doesn't do much in the return game.

Pitt is better, but the difference is less than you might think. Then factor in opponents. Cincy has a very solid offense (though maybe not as good as we made them look). Solid QB, OL, RB and WRs. On the other hand, in TB you have a rookie QB who is just getting a chance to play, weak OL, worse run game, and not a ton of weapons to speak of.

I am still going back and forth on this one.

I know this is not a FF thread, but Davis talking trash has made a tough decision even tougher for me. My two tight ends are Vernon Davis and Olsen. I have played Olsen most of the season hoping he would break out and become a stud. I sat him last week because Davis has consistently put up more points, and then Olsen had a career day. I want to have faith in him and the Bears, and I would like to believe that especially after talking trash they will shut him up tonight, but I just don't know. Stupid Ochocinco talked trash and then made plays and we never did shut him up which honestly was just plain embarrassing. Who would you guys play tonight? I have just lost faith in our D to shut guys like Vernon Davis up and I am pretty 50/50 at this point. It should also be noted that I am also starting the Bears D tonight. I guess I just want to believe they will turn it around. I just never thought I would get to the point ever as a Bears fan where I didn't have enough faith in the Chicago Bears Defense to make just one guy who talked trash eat his words on game day. Unfortunately, like a lot of you, I am there today. Thanks Guys

Vernon Davis is the 2nd best TE in the league this year, behind only Dallas Clark. Even w/ his breakout, 3 score game, Olsen just barely sneaked into the top 10. Davis has more catches, yards and scores. Davis is the #1 option for his team, and often the 2nd and 3rd options as well. Think about this. Olsen had his breakout game putting up 30 points (as my league scores) but as great of a week as he had, Davis also nearly matched putting up 25 points.

Frankly, I am surprised you waited to start Davis until this past week. Until Olsen shows far more, and on a consistent basis, there is no reason to sit the 2nd best TE in the league.

I know this is not a FF thread, but Davis talking trash has made a tough decision even tougher for me. My two tight ends are Vernon Davis and Olsen. I have played Olsen most of the season hoping he would break out and become a stud. I sat him last week because Davis has consistently put up more points, and then Olsen had a career day. I want to have faith in him and the Bears, and I would like to believe that especially after talking trash they will shut him up tonight, but I just don't know. Stupid Ochocinco talked trash and then made plays and we never did shut him up which honestly was just plain embarrassing. Who would you guys play tonight? I have just lost faith in our D to shut guys like Vernon Davis up and I am pretty 50/50 at this point. It should also be noted that I am also starting the Bears D tonight. I guess I just want to believe they will turn it around. I just never thought I would get to the point ever as a Bears fan where I didn't have enough faith in the Chicago Bears Defense to make just one guy who talked trash eat his words on game day. Unfortunately, like a lot of you, I am there today. Thanks Guys

Thanks Nfo. I needed that. I have a real problem when it comes to playing bears players because I want them to do well. I think our leagues score differently as Davis had 10 points in my league Sunday and Olsen had 25, but regardless you are right. I have Vernon Davis in right now. I never took him out after last week, and I probably shouldn't be taking him out anytime soon. Thanks

Vernon Davis is the 2nd best TE in the league this year, behind only Dallas Clark. Even w/ his breakout, 3 score game, Olsen just barely sneaked into the top 10. Davis has more catches, yards and scores. Davis is the #1 option for his team, and often the 2nd and 3rd options as well. Think about this. Olsen had his breakout game putting up 30 points (as my league scores) but as great of a week as he had, Davis also nearly matched putting up 25 points.

Frankly, I am surprised you waited to start Davis until this past week. Until Olsen shows far more, and on a consistent basis, there is no reason to sit the 2nd best TE in the league.

If Davis had only 10 points in your league, I have to assume you (a) do not credit catches and (B) do not give bonuses. Last week, Davis had 10 catches for 100 yards, but no scores. Olsen had 3 scores on 70 yards, so 25 points. So it is closer, but I would still go w/ Davis. In SF, Davis is a weapon they force the ball to due to a lack of other options. In Chicago, if Olsen isn't open, Cutler has proven capable of getting the ball to his receivers.

As for having Chicago players, personally, I try to avoid them. As a fan, we always tend to over-evaluate our own, which means we would reach for Chicago players in the draft. And as you have seen/done w/ Olsen, too often you expect/hope your players have big games, and thus too often tend to start them over superiour options.

Thanks Nfo. I needed that. I have a real problem when it comes to playing bears players because I want them to do well. I think our leagues score differently as Davis had 10 points in my league Sunday and Olsen had 25, but regardless you are right. I have Vernon Davis in right now. I never took him out after last week, and I probably shouldn't be taking him out anytime soon. Thanks