I Feel Bad For Jay Cutler

AtHomeBoy_2000

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played a horrible game. He has no excuses. He has to do a better job protecting the ball - period.

Peace :dabears

3 of those 5 werent his fault. He cant help it if you throw a ball to a guy and he falls down, runs into a ref, or gets run over by a DB. Hell, that las INT was forced because no on was open and time was almost out.

not sympathetic at all. Jay owes the team an apology. two maybe three of the pics were not his fault. Hester slipping while the balls in the air, receiver getting impeded by the Umpire (IMO when this happens the down should be replayed... It's total crap that teams are using the umpire to rub players), The one where the reciever was interfered with slightly. But the 3rd and Goal total bonehead, the last one total bonehead. He was attempting to throw the ball while getting tackled/hit. If you can't set your feet and throw or doing so is awkward at best take the friggin sack.

He by himself cost his team the win. We lost 3 points on the 3rd and goal pick, which would have made it a 9-10 game on that last drive and all we'd have needed was a field goal. but nope. he was forcing the ball all over the place. The last play he actually had room to run and may have had a chance to run if not that all he had to do was pump fake to Olsen and he'd have had Bennet Wide open.

There is no defending his game tonight.

We've been bitching about the D all year long and they finally bring it tonight only to be let down by the offense..... why does that sound familiar...... :banghead

OP is right though, people don't do a "but 3 of them weren't his fault" thought process beyond the day the game was played. How do we know that 3 of Orton's picks in that 2005 game weren't his fault? No one remembers that stuff later. And Bears fans do not go easy on their QBs.

I'm not too concerned about his last pick because it was a low probability situation before he even snapped it, but it could have been a chance to impress us and remind us why we gave up so much for him. Instead we now have a losing record. But of course Hester's slip and Olson's (EDIT: oops, maybe it was Davis...I was trying to watch on the internet) lack of follow through don't go on their stats, it goes on Cutler's.

not sympathetic at all. Jay owes the team an apology. two maybe three of the pics were not his fault. Hester slipping while the balls in the air, receiver getting impeded by the Umpire (IMO when this happens the down should be replayed... It's total crap that teams are using the umpire to rub players), The one where the reciever was interfered with slightly. But the 3rd and Goal total bonehead, the last one total bonehead. He was attempting to throw the ball while getting tackled/hit. If you can't set your feet and throw or doing so is awkward at best take the friggin sack.

He by himself cost his team the win. We lost 3 points on the 3rd and goal pick, which would have made it a 9-10 game on that last drive and all we'd have needed was a field goal. but nope. he was forcing the ball all over the place. The last play he actually had room to run and may have had a chance to run if not that all he had to do was pump fake to Olsen and he'd have had Bennet Wide open.

There is no defending his game tonight.

We've been bitching about the D all year long and they finally bring it tonight only to be let down by the offense..... why does that sound familiar...... :banghead

Agreed 100%. His first int killed us. I will go as far to say that if we kick a field goal there, we win this game. That play completely changed momentum.

The announcers kept saying that the bears weren't stretching the field. Everything was in close and tight. The last series he was eyeing Olsen too much. One point that was brought up many times is where is kellen davis with olsen in the end zone.

Part of the reason we don't stretch the field is because Jay is often running for his life before he can do a three step drop and set his feet. One of the early plays that stood out to me was a play where Chris Williams and a couple other linemen were practically over run and only two linemen held a block. I think a lot of good QB's would struggle here there simply isn't much support around him. But that said he simply needs to do what he can to protect the ball and I'd rather see him take a sack than attempt to throw while he's being plowed. He needs to be aware of the situation with teams not respecting our run game the are just going to play cherry pickers. He tries to squeeze balls into tight places but our receivers don't exactly show much "fight" for the ball. I hate to say it but teams are playing him like they played Rex. Put heat on and rush him into mistakes. Jay needs to be smarter than that.... I thought we were getting a QB who is smarter than that.... and I'm kind wondering if we really did.

This was another sloppy game and it falls entirely on the offense as a whole and not just Jay. The redzone turnovers are inexcusable and that alone is on Jay and maybe a little on the plays called. Turner and Lovie need to do a better job of creating better mismatches and higher percentage plays. You would have thought they could have learned from Sunday's wooping and stole some of the Cards plays i.e. a crossing pattern or the sideline pass that Fitz scored on early in the game.

Positives:

1) This was the best execution of the screen play I can ever remember.

2) The Def played much more inspired and actually got several 3 - and -outs including the big 4th down stop on the qb sneak. Bottomline they kept the Bears in the game.

3) DA finally got into the ball game and made a good catch for a key 1st down. We need a bigger playmaker on the outrside.

4) Culter once again showed flashes of being able to move the ball down field with realative ease considering their incompetent OL and running game. None of our previous qb' wear able to this. Like Millen said Cutler will not be able to do this on his own. Despite the inconsistent an ineffective offensive play thus far this season we have a qb that you can build a team around. Again, despite an overall poor game Cutler put the team in a postion the win late in the 4th qtr. The Bears need to protect the ball and learn to finish drives. however, it is really difficult when there is such an unbalanced attack combined with poor exectution, poor decisions and questionable play calling and personel management.

5) tackling much better tonight

Negatives:

1) The redzone picks were disasterous and need to be corrected

2) The OL is a absolute mess

3) too many penalties - absolutely unexcusable

4) ST was not that good tonight

5) running game is non-existent

This was another sloppy game and it falls entirely on the offense as a whole and not just Jay. The redzone turnovers are inexcusable and that alone is on Jay and maybe a little on the plays called. Turner and Lovie need to do a better job of creating better mismatches and higher percentage plays. You would have thought they could have learned from Sunday's wooping and stole some of the Cards plays i.e. a crossing pattern or the sideline pass that Fitz scored on early in the game.

Positives:

1) This was the best execution of the screen play I can ever remember.

2) The Def played much more inspired and actually got several 3 - and -outs including the big 4th down stop on the qb sneak. Bottomline they kept the Bears in the game.

3) DA finally got into the ball game and made a good catch for a key 1st down. We need a bigger playmaker on the outrside.

4) Culter once again showed flashes of being able to move the ball down field with realative ease considering their incompetent OL and running game. None of our previous qb' wear able to this. Like Millen said Cutler will not be able to do this on his own. Despite the inconsistent an ineffective offensive play thus far this season we have a qb that you can build a team around. Again, despite an overall poor game Cutler put the team in a postion the win late in the 4th qtr. The Bears need to protect the ball and learn to finish drives. however, it is really difficult when there is such an unbalanced attack combined with poor exectution, poor decisions and questionable play calling and personel management.

5) tackling much better tonight

Negatives:

1) The redzone picks were disasterous and need to be corrected

2) The OL is a absolute mess

3) too many penalties - absolutely unexcusable

4) ST was not that good tonight

5) running game is non-existent

Agreed on penalties. That's 19 in 2 games and that all goes back to coaching. 2 delay of games? 3 offsides on defense? What the Fxck????

I thought the ST had an above average night. Return coverage was good. Both Maynard and Gould had nice kicks. What was a bit suspect was blocking on returns.

Not every pick was Cutler's fault. With that said, Cutler had an awful game. Simply put, he was forcing things. He was trying to make plays when he just didn't have to. If we were getting blown out, like in the Az or Cincy game, I could better understand forcing the issue as he did. If you are down numerous scores, you can understand forcing it as a punt of FG is simply not going to get it done. But it was a close game, and throwing it away, or just taking a sack, better keeps you in the game than what Cutler did.

Cutler is going to get absolutely ripped for last night, and deserves every bit of it. At the same time, while not giving him any excuses, I just hope an equal amount of attention is given to the rest of the offense. That was as bad as I have seen from everyone on that unit. No exceptions.

QB - Do I really even need to discuss this?

RB - While I believe Forte showed better vision, I also think he looks flat out slow out there. If he ran the 40 today, what time would he put up? 4.75? He just does not seem to have the pop or burst he did last year, and I think this is also affecting his power as he is running slower and not getting the momentum. There were times he ran into a LB and bounced backward as if he hit a brick wall.

WR - After talking so much about how much better our WRs have looked this year, they seemed to take a dramatic step back, especially Hester. Just yesterday I talked about Hester improved focus, but last night was pathetic. On one series, he gets a false start, followed by a holding penalty, putting the O in a big hole. He followed that up w/ the slip and fall leading to the interception. All night, Hester seemed to struggle, and the rest were little better. When Cutler actually did have time, our WRs seemed incapable of getting open. This was not a good secondary, and they were missing their top CB. There is simply no excuse for the play of our WRs last night.

OL - I have ripped the OL for years, but that was beyond belief. Too often, the OL was pushed straight back. They spent more time in our backfield than not. Cutler was under pressure about the same time he was looking up. SF entered the game w/ a fairly inept pass rush, which was a key reason their pass defense sucked. That such a mediocre group looked like the steel curtain against us speaks loud and clear.

None of this excuses the play of Cutler. The crap he tried to do and get away w/ was just flat out stupid. What last night showed was just how far we have to go. This is not a good team. Hell, this is not an average team. This is a bad team.

1) He is going to get shit for throwing 4 INTs, when 3 of them werent his fault.

2) This O-Line is going to get him killed.

Good points.

Regarding WR, I'm still convinced, as I have been all along, that we still need a real #1. Just becasue Hester catches the most passes or gets the most yards, doesn't make him a "#1". Millen or the other buffoon mentioned during the game that you need a guy that is a pro WR. Someone playing the part all his athletic career basically. We still need that. The savvy is not there with the guys we have. All can be great #2's, but we still have no #1.

I fear Cutler may be a bust. I really do. At least with this staff.

Not every pick was Cutler's fault. With that said, Cutler had an awful game. Simply put, he was forcing things. He was trying to make plays when he just didn't have to. If we were getting blown out, like in the Az or Cincy game, I could better understand forcing the issue as he did. If you are down numerous scores, you can understand forcing it as a punt of FG is simply not going to get it done. But it was a close game, and throwing it away, or just taking a sack, better keeps you in the game than what Cutler did.

Cutler is going to get absolutely ripped for last night, and deserves every bit of it. At the same time, while not giving him any excuses, I just hope an equal amount of attention is given to the rest of the offense. That was as bad as I have seen from everyone on that unit. No exceptions.

QB - Do I really even need to discuss this?

RB - While I believe Forte showed better vision, I also think he looks flat out slow out there. If he ran the 40 today, what time would he put up? 4.75? He just does not seem to have the pop or burst he did last year, and I think this is also affecting his power as he is running slower and not getting the momentum. There were times he ran into a LB and bounced backward as if he hit a brick wall.

WR - After talking so much about how much better our WRs have looked this year, they seemed to take a dramatic step back, especially Hester. Just yesterday I talked about Hester improved focus, but last night was pathetic. On one series, he gets a false start, followed by a holding penalty, putting the O in a big hole. He followed that up w/ the slip and fall leading to the interception. All night, Hester seemed to struggle, and the rest were little better. When Cutler actually did have time, our WRs seemed incapable of getting open. This was not a good secondary, and they were missing their top CB. There is simply no excuse for the play of our WRs last night.

OL - I have ripped the OL for years, but that was beyond belief. Too often, the OL was pushed straight back. They spent more time in our backfield than not. Cutler was under pressure about the same time he was looking up. SF entered the game w/ a fairly inept pass rush, which was a key reason their pass defense sucked. That such a mediocre group looked like the steel curtain against us speaks loud and clear.

None of this excuses the play of Cutler. The crap he tried to do and get away w/ was just flat out stupid. What last night showed was just how far we have to go. This is not a good team. Hell, this is not an average team. This is a bad team.

Regarding WR, I'm still convinced, as I have been all along, that we still need a real #1. Just becasue Hester catches the most passes or gets the most yards, doesn't make him a "#1". Millen or the other buffoon mentioned during the game that you need a guy that is a pro WR. Someone playing the part all his athletic career basically. We still need that. The savvy is not there with the guys we have. All can be great #2's, but we still have no #1.

My point all along was that (a) OL has to be the priority and (B) I wanted to give this group some opportunity to develop.

While the WRs have developed more than I think some have expected, I agree a better receiving option would benefit us all around. Our WRs are doing some good things, but the negatives just don't seem to be changing. I still see weak route running. I still see an inability to get open. I still see WRs w/ their backs to the QB when the QB is running for his life. Also, I am so damn tired of watching our WRs run a route upfield, stop and turn, but not come back to the ball at all, allowing the DB an opportunity to move up and get into position.

I still argue OL is far more a need than WR, but last night went a long way for those who feel WR should be a high priority as well.

I don't agree w/ this at all. I think Cutler simply is not Superman, as many here (myself included) hoped. He can not get it done by himself. Not only must we as fans realize this, but so must Cutler. To me, last night it just seemed like Cutler felt the need to win the game single handed, and essentially lost it in the process. I believe Cutler will be the franchise QB we had hoped for, but (a) we need to build around him and (B) he needs to realize he isn't superman.

I'm not expecting Superman. I just expect a guy, who on a national stage, won't thow more than 3 picks. He's proven so far he can't. he may have won the SEA game, but he lost this one. I honestly feel orton would have the same record. While done differently.

Not saying Orton is better. Just saying Cutler isn't delivering regardless what is around him. Rodgers is getting hounded, and he's not F-ing up as bad as Cutler. He has better WR's...

There is a connection.

Right now, the deal for 2 firsts and Orton looks like we've been feeced. There's still a lot of time to change that, but until it happens expect everyone to bash us for such.

I don't agree w/ this at all. I think Cutler simply is not Superman, as many here (myself included) hoped. He can not get it done by himself. Not only must we as fans realize this, but so must Cutler. To me, last night it just seemed like Cutler felt the need to win the game single handed, and essentially lost it in the process. I believe Cutler will be the franchise QB we had hoped for, but (a) we need to build around him and (B) he needs to realize he isn't superman.

Before the season, our lack of weapons at WR was well known. While some thought it would be better, the OL was far from a known asset. Entering the season, I think many fans believed Cutler to be so good that he would still win w/ a weak OL and a lack of weapons. That was the thinking behind the superman comment. You say you are not expecting superman, and I agree there is flat out no excuse for those picks. At the same time, are we not expecting a superman effort if we expect a QB to play behind this OL, w/ this group of weapons, absolutely no run game, and questionable playcalling, to win and look good doing it?

I'm telling you, Payton Manning would struggle if he were inserted into our offense as it is. No, he would not throw 5 picks. But he would not look very good either.

Would Orton look better? Still don't see it. Didn't Orton just lose 3 picks? No, he didn't throw 5, but he also has a superior OL and weapons to support him.

I don't think there is a perception, much less a reality, that we got fleeced from Denver. Even when Orton was playing at a high level, most were still calling him a system QB, and not making out like he was special. In the last two games, he (in public opinion) has not only fallen back to Earth, but has done so in fairly dramatic fashion.

When all is said and done, I think we will still look the better for the trade. As bad as last night was, when talking about the future, I think we are still absolutely talking about building around Cutler.

I'm not expecting Superman. I just expect a guy, who on a national stage, won't thow more than 3 picks. He's proven so far he can't. he may have won the SEA game, but he lost this one. I honestly feel orton would have the same record. While done differently.

Not saying Orton is better. Just saying Cutler isn't delivering regardless what is around him. Rodgers is getting hounded, and he's not F-ing up as bad as Cutler. He has better WR's...

There is a connection.

Right now, the deal for 2 firsts and Orton looks like we've been feeced. There's still a lot of time to change that, but until it happens expect everyone to bash us for such.

I don't agree w/ this at all. I think Cutler simply is not Superman, as many here (myself included) hoped. He can not get it done by himself. Not only must we as fans realize this, but so must Cutler. To me, last night it just seemed like Cutler felt the need to win the game single handed, and essentially lost it in the process. I believe Cutler will be the franchise QB we had hoped for, but (a) we need to build around him and ( B) he needs to realize he isn't superman.

Cutler had to try and win the game single handedly, he had absolutely no help. The OLine is beyond awfull, and the receivers couldn't get open if they had all day. Running the ball was obviously not an option. The only thing you need to look at and see why we lost this game is the stat that we threw the ball over 50 times. Unless you're the freaking Patriots from 07, that simply will not cut it. There is absolutely no balance with the offense, and we don't have the talent from our receivers or the protection to be passing the ball 50+ times a game. Unfortunately, we don't have an OLine that can consistently get us even at least 3 yards per carry.

As for the picks by Cutler, the first one was god awful. And the last one was forced, but I can see why he would force it with time expiring. As for the others, Hester fell down, miscommunication between Hester and Cutler on the other one. And the one that really irks me is Kellen Davis playing like a little girl out there. Are you kidding me Kellen Davis? You're 6'7", 260+, and you get knocked out of the way like nothing? Come on now, play with some desire and fight for the ball.

Soft, that's the story of the team. It's embarassing to watch football and see only a hand full of players playing with emotion and an intent to win.

It's sickening. My only hope is that we replace the whole coaching staff and front office for next year.

There is a connection.

Perfect...

I am sick of Jay getting a free pass b/c everyone else around him sucks and he is the savior of this football team for years to come.

I saw what everyone else did on this offense...the only thing that worked were screen passes to Forte when the Oline is supposed to let there men go...they are good at that....blame this game on receivers/oline/all around offense but I am blaming it on Jay...the D kept us in it to the very end...

17 INTs after the 9th game is NON-EXCUSABLE even more so because 5 of them are in the red zone....

While I am not disagreeing about the play of the offense as a whole, or that our players are soft, don't excuse Cutler either. It was a close game, and Cutler simply did not need to force the ball as he did.

Pick - As you said, it was awful, and that was a tone-setting play.

Pick - Not on Cutler at all. If these were the only two picks, he would be excused far more, but they continued to come.

Pick - You say miscommunication between Cutler and Hester. Others would also say Hester was bumped on the route. Honestly though, if Hester were not bumped, I am not totally sure it would matter. Cutler led Hester too far, and the DB was in position to make the play. It was an ill-advised pass.

Pick - You say Davis was too soft. Fine. But at the same time, there were a ton of 9'ers in the picture, and to make the play, it would have taken a near impossible pass. Davis was covered. Period. Throw it away and take the 3 points. He forced it. Question Davis' toughness, but that does not excuse the pass itself.

Pick - While I agree that on the last pick, there was more reason to force it, at the same time, it was still (a) a bad pass and (B) a smart QB throws it away and runs another play. Simply put, Cutler wasn't smart.

Frankly, there were several other near picks too. Cutler was making bad decisions all game. Sure, he was pressured, but that does not excuse bad decisions. Sometimes it is simply better to take the sack than to try and force some of the passes he did.

Cutler had to try and win the game single handedly, he had absolutely no help. The OLine is beyond awfull, and the receivers couldn't get open if they had all day. Running the ball was obviously not an option. The only thing you need to look at and see why we lost this game is the stat that we threw the ball over 50 times. Unless you're the freaking Patriots from 07, that simply will not cut it. There is absolutely no balance with the offense, and we don't have the talent from our receivers or the protection to be passing the ball 50+ times a game. Unfortunately, we don't have an OLine that can consistently get us even at least 3 yards per carry.

As for the picks by Cutler, the first one was god awful. And the last one was forced, but I can see why he would force it with time expiring. As for the others, Hester fell down, miscommunication between Hester and Cutler on the other one. And the one that really irks me is Kellen Davis playing like a little girl out there. Are you kidding me Kellen Davis? You're 6'7", 260+, and you get knocked out of the way like nothing? Come on now, play with some desire and fight for the ball.

Soft, that's the story of the team. It's embarassing to watch football and see only a hand full of players playing with emotion and an intent to win.

It's sickening. My only hope is that we replace the whole coaching staff and front office for next year.

Yes, the WR's are performing better than expected, but it's not good enough.

Any QB will struggle with what we've surrounded our QB with. But many would not hand the game over on a red carpet with a 2 for 1 coupon like Cutler has done now for virtually 3 games.

Orton would have had this game as a win I feel. Cutler could have almost taken sacks all game and we'd have probably won it. The picks just simply killed us.

I hope we will look better later, because we certainly look putrid for the deal now. The philosophy must be to build around Cutler. But I hope isn't not a mistake. Right now, the mistake I know for certain is having this staff be the ones in charge of his stay here...

Before the season, our lack of weapons at WR was well known. While some thought it would be better, the OL was far from a known asset. Entering the season, I think many fans believed Cutler to be so good that he would still win w/ a weak OL and a lack of weapons. That was the thinking behind the superman comment. You say you are not expecting superman, and I agree there is flat out no excuse for those picks. At the same time, are we not expecting a superman effort if we expect a QB to play behind this OL, w/ this group of weapons, absolutely no run game, and questionable playcalling, to win and look good doing it?

I'm telling you, Payton Manning would struggle if he were inserted into our offense as it is. No, he would not throw 5 picks. But he would not look very good either.

Would Orton look better? Still don't see it. Didn't Orton just lose 3 picks? No, he didn't throw 5, but he also has a superior OL and weapons to support him.

I don't think there is a perception, much less a reality, that we got fleeced from Denver. Even when Orton was playing at a high level, most were still calling him a system QB, and not making out like he was special. In the last two games, he (in public opinion) has not only fallen back to Earth, but has done so in fairly dramatic fashion.

When all is said and done, I think we will still look the better for the trade. As bad as last night was, when talking about the future, I think we are still absolutely talking about building around Cutler.

I agree to a point, Im not giving Cutler a free pass at all. But in all honestly, at some point you're gonna have to throw it up and force something to try and make something happen. Taking sacks and losing yards was not going to help us win later in the game.