Urlacher article

adam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoBr...o&type=lgns

Long article about his sentiments while watching the Vikings game. This is at the end:

“I believe in Lovie, and I hope I get to play for him for a long time,” he said. “I really think we’ll come back stronger than ever next year, and then everything will take care of itself. I know we have what it takes. I believe in this team, and trust me, I will do everything I possibly can to help us get better next season.”

In the meantime, Urlacher has five more weeks of agony to endure, barring a highly unlikely playoff run. Munching on an “Urlacher roll” at his favorite Japanese restaurant Sunday night, he concluded, “Being injured [expletive] sucks, man. It’s the worst. In ’04 I missed seven games [with a hamstring injury], but I knew I was coming back. It was different. This is brutal. I want to be a part of the solution, but the reality is, I’m just a guy.”

The players always seem to rally around Lovie as the HC, which is not shocking. Lovie is a players coach. Playing for him is easy life for a player, but at the same time, that does not mean it is a good thing. I would also point out that numerous times in the past, Urlacher has been out-spoken against the cover two, questioning how he is used in such a system.

Couple things that stood out for me from this article,

Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him,” Urlacher said. “But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth.

Urlacher never seemed to be Cutler's biggest fan, and did like Orton. In some ways, this reminds me of when we drafted Benson when we had a popular veteran in TJ. Regardless, I think Urlacher's statements above don't really factor reality. The reality is, we can't run the ball. We would all love to run it more, but when the OL can't open holes and Forte isn't looking close to what he did last year, you simply can't continue to bang your head against a brick wall, which is exactly what our RBs are running into. Further, while it is a nice thought that you play conservative while the D keeps you in the game, that really isn't the reality of THIS defense. This defense sucks, and playing conservative is not going to win games.

When Cutler threw a gorgeous touchdown pass to wideout Johnny Knox(notes) in the corner of the end zone to tie the score at 7, Urlacher was both excited and impressed. “You see him do [expletive] like that, and you’re like, ‘That’s unreal,’ ” Urlacher said. “I mean, there might be five guys in the league who can make that throw; it couldn’t have been anywhere else. It was [expletive] sweet.” He called Knox “one of my favorite rookies of all time. He’s sensational; he just goes out there and plays. Even in training camp he didn’t talk a lot. He played football and won our respect.”

This really made me again think of Benson. Is it any wonder why Urlacher never liked Benson. Benson, befoere he stepped onto the field, was talking about how great he would be. Also, he really went off on Dunta Robsinson (CB for Texans) who some have talked about wanting to go after in FA. Gotta wonder how Urlacher would accept him after reading some of his comments.

Urlacher didn't seem shy about questioning Turner's play calls, but I would have been more interested to hear his comments about our defensive playcalls.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoBr...o&type=lgns

Long article about his sentiments while watching the Vikings game. This is at the end: